Author Topic: Spongia and children's cough  (Read 2613 times)

Offline kevinslove

• Wide Eyed
Spongia and children's cough
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
My two children have had a cough for three weeks now.  They are 3 and 1.  I know a physician assistant and spoke with her off the record about it.  After seeing them and watching them and everything she was sure it isn't RSV, whooping cough, the croup, or any bronchiole type thing.  She said it is a virus of some sort that they just have to work through, and to continue with normal activities, make sure they get plenty of rest and fluids, as well as all of the other common sense things like reducing dairy intake and limiting sugar. She advised me to run a vaporizer in their room at night as it is very cold up here and the forced air heat causes the air to be dry.  I have done so and there is no sign whether or not it is helping.  Like I said, it has been at least 3 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be improving much. It seems very severe.  During the day when they are running and playing it happens only occasionally.  They will cough really hard several times consecutively without any breath in between.  Then, when they are trying to draw in a breath it sounds like they are sucking hard through a straw and can't get enough air to recover, then they cough again several times like before, until they are doubled over, their faces are beet red, and they are making a noise as if they are vomiting, although nothing exudes.  This only happens 3 to 5 episodes during the day, but during the night they are up about every 45 min to an hour having these spells.  At times some mucus comes up, and their noses are constantly running, but it is different from a regular cold.  My children are very rarely sick even with a sniffle, pretty hardy, we eat a sensible diet, etc. and none of us have any known allergies.  I'm not sure what my next course of action should be.  All of the children in our church that are around their ages seem to have this same deal, and have been for the most part kept home from the assembly because of it, and each of the mothers have expressed the same advice given from health care professionals.  Accepting one mother, who told me that she used spongia for her daughter, and her daughter only had one night and the following day with it, and then it was gone.  I am glad to hear it, and am very tempted to try it on my children ( I already purchased some, but haven't used it yet.) but I know nothing about spongia, how it is manufactured, where it comes from, its exact uses and benefits, etc.  And none of this information is on the bottle.  I am not in the habit of just desperately trying something on little ones that I know nothing about. Can anyone help?

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
Re: Spongia and children's cough
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 07:03:26 AM »
Hi, I just googled spongia because my son has had the same problem for the past month and I came to well tell me to find a solution. Well... check out this web site. Hope it helps! http://www.abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Spong   

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:38:36 AM »
bump
any other thoughts anyone?
I wondered about this one too!

Offline fisherovi5

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
 During the day when they are running and playing it happens only occasionally.  They will cough really hard several times consecutively without any breath in between.  Then, when they are trying to draw in a breath it sounds like they are sucking hard through a straw and can't get enough air to recover, then they cough again several times like before, until they are doubled over, their faces are beet red, and they are making a noise as if they are vomiting, although nothing exudes.  This only happens 3 to 5 episodes during the day, but during the night they are up about every 45 min to an hour having these spells.  At times some mucus comes up, and their noses are constantly running, but it is different from a regular cold. 

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but this is almost the exact description for whooping cough as I've read it in several different child care books and according to my sister, who is a physician and mentioned that she has seen a lot of it in the past 2 years.   Please let us know if you have good success with the homeopathic remedy.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:56:36 AM by fisherovi5 »

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »
I agree that this sounds like the description of whooping cough.  A friend of mine had children with whooping cough several years ago, but the doctor gave it a different name and sent her home with a puffer.  After another trip to the doctor, she insisted on a test for whooping cough.  It was positive.  The doctors seemed to be reluctant to acknowledge the symptoms for what they were. :(

There is a thread for whooping cough already started.  Check there for some more remedies.  Even if it isn't whooping Cough, the recommendations might help regardless.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2607.0.html
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:02:59 AM »
Read this thread for more on whooping cough. 

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2607.0.html

Also try bulkherbstore.com.  Do a search on whooping cough.  They recommend several different herbs for deep cough relief.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 06:45:04 AM »
I just got some spongia for my little ones and just gave them their first dose.
have you had any luck with yours?

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
bump

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 12:21:43 PM »
bump