Author Topic: Tea For Toddlers  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Tea For Toddlers
« on: October 28, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
My 15-month-old LOVES tea (well, she's had it 3 times).

So far she has had Raspberry Leaf and Immune Booster (www.bulkherbstore.com). 
Is this okay? I have never heard of other toddlers drinking herbal teas (I sweeten it with honey). It seems better than high-sugar juices..... ??? ???

Are there herbals teas I should avoid?
Are there herbals teas I should try to find for her?

Offline chopchop

• Adept
Re: Tea For Toddlers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
Herb Teas are fine for kids! Here are some of the Herb teas my kids LOVE!

Peppermint
Chamomile (or camouflage according to my 4 year old)
Sleepy Time (Celestial Seasonings Blend or my own version)
Raspberry blend
Jasmine Tea

You might want to avoid teas with caffeine and other energy boosters.  (Ginsing, Ginkgo...  ;)  Mine have plenty of energy on their own. KWIM?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:47:22 PM by chopchop »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:07:47 PM »
Yeah, my kiddies definitely do NOT need any caffeine  :o  And my dentist says that tea is a no-no because it stains your teeth, so I try to drink it sparingly.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:26:30 PM »
I gave some tea(herb teas for sicknesses) to my son in a dropper when he was an infant.  Then, he finally took a bottle around the age of one and decided that tea was more fun than breast milk.   ;)

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »
You know, I personally don't have any concern about whether or not my children are hooked on a bottle rather than a sippy cup:) It kind of bothers me how 'they' whoever 'they' are push that our babies should be off the bottle at 1 year and everything else. My sister had a bottle till she was 3. The way I look at it, if it's normal for children to nurse for over a year, then why should bottles be different?

That being said all of my babies have been bottle fed and transitioned to cups just fine...well two so far. My third is only 8 months. She likes her little cup, but most definitely prefers the bottle.

My kids LOVE tea...and coffee. In fact, my 2.5 year old finishes off my coffee in the morning when I'm busy. Occasionally I will make them a diluted cup for themselves. Anything that comes out of our cups/glasses they will drink with relish even if it tastes bad :) WE've even gotten them to drink garlic water that way. I do need to wean them off apple juice though. Would herb teas be a better alternative????

Just my thoughts...

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:55:06 AM »
I do need to wean them off apple juice though. Would herb teas be a better alternative????

Just my thoughts...

Thanks Anneatheart (how do you pronounce your name???) LOL

That's what I was wondering too... Are herbal teas better than juice?

hmmm......

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 05:22:40 AM »
Other than filtered water, kombucha, and an occasional herbal tea for colds and/or congestion, Mama's Red Raspberry brew is the only beverage my youngest has ever had (other than mama's milk). We didn't give our babies juice because of the concentrated sugars. We wanted to train their pallets to enjoy a wide variety of tastes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:30:40 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline JulieK

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 07:48:46 AM »
There is a tea from South Africa which is called Red Bush or Rooibos Tea. It is caffeine free and tannin free. I give this my little ones every so often with Stevia in it or mixed with milk, like the British do. It is yummy and has no after taste.
It's also safe for Moms who are pregnant or nursing to drink. It is available at most health food stores, Kroger and Meijer too (that I know of.)>
Hope this helps
Julie K

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 05:24:03 AM »
This topic has been split.  For those of you looking for the comments pertaining to bottles and such, here is the link.

Bottles, Pacifiers & Sippy Cups

Thanks.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!