Author Topic: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]  (Read 125076 times)

Offline bpryor

• Learning
Re: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »
I'm currently on a yeast cleanse diet while nursing, and my 2 mo old son is experiencing mucous in his stool. He seems just fine other than that.  Anyone have a similar experence?  Should I worry?

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2008, 09:16:04 AM »
How long have you been seeing mucus in his stools? 2 months is really young so he may just still be adjusting to your diet coming through in your milk. I have done the yeats cleanse while nursing and it changed her stools quite a bit. I don't remember mucus though.

Offline bpryor

• Learning
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »
I've just noticed it yesterday and today, and have been on the diet for 3 days.

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »
Which probiotic is best for treating candida? I'm nursing my 3-month-old and am currently taking TTU, but I was thinking of trying a different probiotic. Acidophilus Blast has a higher probiotic count, but Ultimate Defense has more strains. From the product description, it sounded like UD would be better, but I read somewhere on here that acidophilus is better for fighting yeast. Which would be the preferred one? Thanks!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2008, 10:14:15 AM »
I'm about to do a[nother] yeast cleanse and I am still nursing. Josiah is 1 year old now so it wouldn't be a biggie if my milk production slowed or even stopped. So I was wondering about Yeast Assassin (or Candida Clear from NOW)... By what action do the herbs in YA cause your milk supply to decrease? Is it from loss of fluids, or something else? If it's dehydration, do you think I could just drink more fluids and avoid loosing all my milk?

Thanks,
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
I'm about to do a[nother] yeast cleanse and I am still nursing. Josiah is 1 year old now so it wouldn't be a biggie if my milk production slowed or even stopped. So I was wondering about Yeast Assassin (or Candida Clear from NOW)... By what action do the herbs in YA cause your milk supply to decrease? Is it from loss of fluids, or something else? If it's dehydration, do you think I could just drink more fluids and avoid loosing all my milk?

Thanks,
WR
I believe it's because it contains black walnut and that is one herb that was used to help dry up mother's milk. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »

Thanks,
WR
I believe it's because it contains black walnut and that is one herb that was used to help dry up mother's milk. 

Yes, but how does the black walnut dry up the milk? Is it a hormone thing or does it cause a loss of fluids or is it something else entirely? I think that sometimes a decrease in milk can be avoided if the mode of action is known and compensated for, KWIM? So I'm trying to find out how it cause the decrease in milk.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Which probiotic is best for treating candida? I'm nursing my 3-month-old and am currently taking TTU, but I was thinking of trying a different probiotic. Acidophilus Blast has a higher probiotic count, but Ultimate Defense has more strains. From the product description, it sounded like UD would be better, but I read somewhere on here that acidophilus is better for fighting yeast. Which would be the preferred one? Thanks!

...our line of Tummy Tuneup probiotic products are like tools. You pick the best one for the job you are trying to accomplish. We have tried to simplify this process, but we still have some work to do.

My personal opinion is that for a yeast problem [Tummy Tuneup] TT6 is your best bet. We have just gone to a new formula which gives a LOT more Acidophilus, 4 billion vs 2 billion... Why? Studies have shown that L. acidophilus retards the growth of yeast. Since yeast is constantly reproducing, it makes sense to hit it with Yeast Assassin to kill it off, and also use high doses of Acidophilus Blast (TT6) to retard it's regrowth. TT6 is an inexpensive way to get these high doses of Acidophilus.

However, I do not believe that a primarily acidophilus product is the best for repopulating your intestinal flora. That is where TT8 and TT12 come in. See each of the different strains of good bacteria do different things. Some of these have been identified, many have not. There is a lot that we don't know. We do know that a particular strain, "does good things" but not the why or the how of it. So, it is good to repopulate using a variety of methods. Supplements are good, but also fermented foods and soft cheeses are good. Repopulation doesn't happen overnight. I was told by a doctor that it could take up to 6 months after a course of antibiotics for intestinal flora to reach its pre-antibiotic levels. And that is with supplementing. Most people don't supplement, and end up with nagging conditions that they think are normal. "That's just the way my body is." They have never known differently, because almost all of us were introduced to antibiotics at an early age, and several times a year thereafter.

TT12 is obviously the Rolls Royce of probiotics. It contains the most strains and they come from several sources. It really is the best product for probiotic repopulation. But, it is also the most expensive, and is not as stable as TT8. It needs to be stored in a cool, dry place, or refrigerated, to maintain its potency. (So does TT6 new and old). TT8 is a breakthrough product that is super stable. I'm not saying that the potency is not at all affected by environmental conditions. I'm sure that it is. But the affects are much reduced. And, the numbers on the bottle are the estimated delivery assuming normal, unrefrigerated use. So you can carry it around in your diaper bag, or purse, or leave it sitting in the van like I do, for those times when you need it, and it will still get the job done. TT12 and TT6 wouldn't appreciate a day out on the town, and would lose much of their potency. TT8 is also cheaper, so for many, this is the probiotic of choice, the best all around product with the most usability...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
According to my herb book it says that black walnut amongst other things is an astringent.  Astringent by definition is one that is used to contract tissues and halt discharges.  Am I getting this all wrong?  I'm thinking that it halts lactation because of it's astringent qualities.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:43:15 AM by Livelovely »
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »
According to my herb book it says that black walnut amongst other things is an astringent.  Astringent by definition is one that is used to contract tissues and halt discharges.  Am I getting this all wrong?  I'm thinking that it halts lactation because of it's astringent qualities.

Thanks!
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:46 AM »
Ok, I'm looking for some thoughts/opinions.  I take my showers at night, and every night when I'm in the shower, my br**sts and "down under" gets very itchy.   :oI'm fine during the day, though.  I'm thinking this is a yeast issue??  I've been taking 3 garlic tabs and 3TTU6 throughout the day, as well as my prenatals that have alot of enzymes.  But this just keeps hanging on.  Am I missing something?   ???I really want this cleared up before baby comes!! Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks!! 

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:19 AM »
Itching last night kept me awake for over two hours! I was so frustrated. It has been happening for a week. Just not so bad that I can't sleep like last night. I itch so bad it almost burns.  And it is more than just at night. But not all day.I am saying 'down under' Just tried to get it from the front page. ;)

I would also like a answer on can it be yeast?

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2008, 08:01:44 AM »
Thanks, Emily.  I wasn't thinking.  I should have been more careful....  :-\

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »
Thanks, Emily.  I wasn't thinking.  I should have been more careful....  :-\

I don't remember if you were on the front page. :D 

Anyone have an answer? I am about to go crazy! :D

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »
After reading back over this thread today, I'm going to start rinsing with diluted ACV during my showers and see if that helps.  I used to do this regularly, but have gotten out of the habit. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2008, 08:17:35 AM »
Itching last night kept me awake for over two hours! I was so frustrated. It has been happening for a week. Just not so bad that I can't sleep like last night. I itch so bad it almost burns.  And it is more than just at night. But not all day.I am saying 'down under' Just tried to get it from the front page. ;)

It could be but I would guess you still use shampoo?  If not, then I'd be looking for other sources.  I used to itch this bad from SLS exposure.  Yeast made me itch too, but it was more localized in rashes and came and went.  The SLS used to bother me mostly at night (liver related maybe) and it was maddening how badly it made me itch.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »
Yay, HB!!  I was hoping you'd help us!  We use SLS free shampoo and bar soap for washing.  I do still use conditioner, though.  But the itching starts as soon as I get wet, even before I've started to wash..??..

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:26 AM »
HB

I use shampoo once MAYBE twice a week.(yesterday!) I will stop and see if that helps. Hope so.  I would much rather hurt than itch!   

My liver is also dirty which I am working on right now. So I hope they both nip it!

thanks

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2008, 08:37:56 AM »
Yay, HB!!  I was hoping you'd help us!  We use SLS free shampoo and bar soap for washing.  I do still use conditioner, though.  But the itching starts as soon as I get wet, even before I've started to wash..??..
Most conditioners don't contain SLS, but I would check your label just in case.  Also, I find that I (pesonally) am senstive to ALL detergents, not just SLS.  That includes cocamide betain (in any shape or form), ALS, and there are a few others mentioned in the nopoo thread and the SLS thread. 

I'll think on your situation a bit more and see if my dusty brain can come up with something else.

In Em's case, I'd still say it's the shampoo.  If it were me, I would stop using it altogether and see if it helps.  If you don't see any improvement in a few days, then you might reassess.

Also, we are heading for a topic derail, so if you have more questions that don't relate directly to yeast, post them here.  You might also find some more ideas for causes.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2151.0.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 08:41:56 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »

I would definitely think yeast would be a possibility.  from my own experience, a yeast infection in "that area" burns burns burns.  I told dh on more than one occasion it feels like it's burning inside me, all the way up to my bellybutton.  In my pre-wtm days I went for the monistat at that point.  I have tried the garlic clove thing and it helped somewhat but did not take care of it entirely.  I probably didn't use it long enough though.  I think you can do it for 3 days if needed.  When I am done breastfeeding I plan to do a yeast cleanse to either get rid of the problem once for all or at least cut way way down on the incidences.  But if it's bad enough, IMO, the natural stuff might not quite take care of it and you might need to do monistat for 3-7 days to get some relief.  Also i'd be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better.  For me it seemed like once the monistat hit the yeast it got worse for a day or two, then started to get better.  HTH.

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »
I'm sorry if this isn't the right spot to post this. I know I have a problem with Candida and plan to order Acidophilus Blast and maybe Tummy Tuneup too, need to do more reading. My more immediate problem though is itching between my fingers and toes. It's like athlete's foot between my fingers. I've been reading for 2 days trying to make sure it wasn't answered somewhere already, but the itching is driving me crazy. What would you ladies recommend? I have tto and lavender oil. The lavender oil seems to help for a short amount of time, but doesn't take it completely away. I'm scared to use the tto because I used it full strength once and I got a terrible rash which was very itchy. I just don't know what to do. ??? Should I put the tto in lotion maybe? Hope someone can help. Thanks, Brandi
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:22:57 AM by BShaw »
pregnancy due date" border="0

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2008, 03:23:48 AM »
I'm sorry if this isn't the right spot to post this. I know I have a problem with Candida and plan to order Acidophilus Blast and maybe Tummy Tuneup too, need to do more reading. My more immediate problem though is itching between my fingers and toes. It's like athlete's foot between my fingers. I've been reading for 2 days trying to make sure it wasn't answered somewhere already, but the itching is driving me crazy. What would you ladies recommend? I have tto and lavender oil. The lavender oil seems to help for a short amount of time, but doesn't take it completely away. I'm scared to use the tto because I used it full strength once and I got a terrible rash which was very itchy. I just don't know what to do. ??? Should I put the tto in lotion maybe? Hope someone can help. Thanks, Brandi

Bump

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44:09 AM »
Are you certain it's yeast?  If it is, then most any yeast killer should work (read back through this thread and others on yeast for ideas).  Do you have a rash or does it just itch?  If there's no rash to speak of or if you have those weird looking blisters that almost resemble bug bites, I would suspect SLS.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2008, 04:56:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's yeast, I've got most of the things on the leaky gut list. I had a long fight with ringworm and I get a lot of yeast infections and get athlete's foot every summer. My mom, brother, and sister recently did the maker's diet and she's positive it's yeast too. I do have the weird looking bumps and it's spreading, but just between my fingers and toes. I put 2-3 drops tto in lotion and it's helping the itching. I just was wondering if there was something better I could put on it. I did read a lot, but didn't see much more than an anti-yeast creme. I think I'll eat a garlic clove daily, order the ttu and acidophilus blast, and try to cut out sugar. Hopefully that helps. Thanks for answering. Brandi

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2008, 06:39:09 AM »
Should I put the tto in lotion maybe? Hope someone can help. Thanks, Brandi

i would try mixing a few drops of the tea tree with a tablespoon of coconut oil (if you have any--it's anti-fungal) or another carrier oil.  (almond, olive, etc.) the carrier should keep you from reacting to the tea tree. 

the best thing i have found in addition to the no sugar/white flour diet for yeast, is to take your probiotics first thing in the am.

also, something new i learned recently is that the Primal defense Ultra has Saccharomyces Boulardii as the first bacteria listed--which eats the same food that the Candida Yeast eat. 

http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-Primal-Defense-Ultra

so there is less carbs available for the yeast to eat!  i have been taking this first thing in the am, with 2 acidophilus bifidus.   also, you can take 3 garlic ( i use the odorless stuff from NOW) with each meal.  eat meat, cheese, lots of veggies, and keep your fruit to one "lower glycemic" per day, and small amounts of whole grains.  this is working well for me.  slowly work up to 3 per day before meals, of the probiotics i listed.  you can do it!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2008, 08:08:44 AM »
Thanks. I'll check out that link and I do have coconut oil, so I'll try that. This yeast stuff if definitely terrible! Brandi

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know my "story". I posted awhile ago about this itching/rash/bumps I had on my hands/feet. It woke me up every night and was driving me crazy. I asked HB for info. on SLS b/c she'd said that's what it sounded like. I read a lot. I then ordered Acidophilus Blast, TTU, Dr. Bronner's liquid/bar soap, and a shampoo bar. I'd already been making our laundry soap for awhile or I would've done that too. I received and started using them on Wednesday last week. Starting the very first day the itching/rash was better. It still woke me up at night, but I soaked in Epsom salt for 20 min. and was able to go right back to bed. Last night was the 3rd night in a row that I haven't woke up scratching!! I am convinced that yeast caused the initial problem and that the SLS made it way worse and caused the itching and rash. Just thought I'd share my experience. Hopefully it can help someone. Thanks HB!   ;D

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
Antibiotics Ineffective for Newborn Strep 

Researchers conducted a review of infants who had early-onset group B streptococcal (EOGBS) infections and were born in Southern California Kaiser Permanente Hospitals from 1988 through 1996. To summarize:

319 infants with EOGBS sepsis, bacteremia, or clinically suspected infection were identified from a population of 277,912 live births (approximately 1 in every 870 births).

Of the 172 term infants with culture-positive infection who had clinical signs of infection, 95% exhibited them in the first 24 hours of life.

All of the infants exposed to antibiotics during birth became ill within the first 24 hours of life.

Researchers concluded that "Exposure to antibiotics during labor did not change the clinical spectrum of disease or the onset of clinical signs of infection within 24 hours of birth for term infants with EOGBS infection."

Pediatrics August 2000; 106: 244-250

Dr. Mercola's Comments: 

I have seen major complications in the children of mothers who were given this course of therapy. I am certain that it doesn't seriously compromise all infants, but it is a concern and seems to predispose them to an increased risk of allergies, recurrent ear infections, and all sorts of chronic illnesses, such as ADHD and autism. If the decision is made to start the antibiotics it is very important to start the infant on bifidus as soon as possible, and probably keep the doses going for at least 4-8 weeks so the gut can become completely recolonized with the beneficial bacteria.
The use of antibiotic treatment of pregnant women is even more of a concern in light of the fact that prevalence of this type of infection was recently found in a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine to be as high as 29.5%, using a new polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay. This could mean that nearly 1 out of every 3 pregnant women will be treated with antibiotics, despite the fact that only around 1 in every 870 newborns have even 'suspected' group b strep infections.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/08/13/group-b-strep.aspx

Just though I'd put this out there. I do not take antibiotics as a preventative measure for group b step. I do watch my baby carefully for symptoms (along with my midwife) and then act accordingly.

Just thought I'd post and say that I had forgotten that since I had Group B Strep with baby #1, like 17 years ago ::), I get 2 doses of antibiotic pumped into me when I go to the hospital to deliver. :o  Dh said no on the homebirth this time (and I was somewhat relieved, I admit.)  I'm not as young as I used to be, I guess.

So, I get to be completely wiped out of good stuff and bad stuff come end of May.  Will have had the same thing May two years before.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 04:39:35 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »
Could you get rid of candida overgrowth by just eliminating sugar, eating fresh garlic daily and taking probiotics? I'm nursing a baby and don't think it'd be a good idea to cut breads.  Will this do anything for getting rid of a yeast problem, though?

YoopreMama

« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
I don't know, Jemima (HI!)...I know, for me, GF breads seem to help re: yeast...

Things you can do to knock out yeast while pregnant or nursing:

Stop eating sugars and yeasts.

Eat yogurt and kefir.

Take a good probiotic.

Eat a clove of garlic once or twice a day.

Drink Aloe juice/gel.
A good reminder...
 ;D
(and NO Yeast Assassin... ::))