Author Topic: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]  (Read 123998 times)

cecac

Re: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
Thank you, Sparkys9.  I had not intended on going low carb.  I've done that non-pregnant and felt lousy, so I did not think that would be wise.  Thank you for confirmation on that one.  I'm going to try and do grits, brown rice, white rice, potatoes, etc.  I would also like to track down an acceptable type bread if there is such a thing!!

Any more testimonies would be appreciated!!

Cara

cecac

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2007, 02:46:36 AM »
Cara-  Ezekial Bread gotten at the health food store is supposed to be the best for while fighting candida.  The man from The Candida Wellness Center in Utah told me that.   I do think too that if you make your own whole wheat bread and are not eating it in moderation, that you would be OK, depending on how severe your yeast symptoms.

Thank you just jane,

I can easily get that type bread so I think I'll look at the ingredients.  If Ezekial is lower in sugars than our whole wheat (we use 1 cup of honey to 6 or 7 loaves) then I could go with that.  I was also thinking of using cornbread, it is pretty low in honey.  Someone earlier up in this thread said that she went ahead and ate biscuits and cornbread during her time of cleansing.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2007, 04:08:40 AM »
I use the recipe posted here

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1338.0.html

I just leave out the honey. I let it set overnight, give it one more rise in the morning and then the final rise in the pans. Turns out great. Albertsons also carries a sprouted bread. It's kinda pricey though. I also make biscuts and let them soak overnight.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

cecac

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2007, 05:38:24 AM »
Ella,

Thanks so much.  We bake bread on the weekend, so maybe I can try my recipe without honey and just let it sit overnight.  I'll try a smaller batch though :P  My kids won't want to eat it without honey.  ****sigh**** I am so not looking forward to no sweetness.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2007, 07:03:14 AM »
I've read the 3 pages so far and i have a question I don't think has been addressed:  How long should one expect to need to adhere to the "Anti-Yeast Menu Plan"?  I'm sure it is likely to be different for each person, but are there some general guidelines or symptoms of ~cured~ that will help?

The frustration with the restrictions of an Anti-Yeast Menu Plan is... well, it's not the normal way most people eat.  It certainly isn't impossible but I would think it would be easier to accomplish if you had a way to measure when you are done.  I'm imagining 1 or 2 weeks of menu plans (with snacks) for this new method of eating would be helpful.  Then you could pack away your 'normal snacks', post up a list of your new options on the fridge and maybe even purchase a few allowable treats that would be new and interesting for a couple weeks.

In a nutshell, how long is this gonna take?  (Can you tell I don't do 'nutshell' very well?)

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2007, 07:42:41 AM »
I've read the 3 pages so far and i have a question I don't think has been addressed:  How long should one expect to need to adhere to the "Anti-Yeast Menu Plan"?  I'm sure it is likely to be different for each person, but are there some general guidelines or symptoms of ~cured~ that will help?

The frustration with the restrictions of an Anti-Yeast Menu Plan is... well, it's not the normal way most people eat.  It certainly isn't impossible but I would think it would be easier to accomplish if you had a way to measure when you are done.  I'm imagining 1 or 2 weeks of menu plans (with snacks) for this new method of eating would be helpful.  Then you could pack away your 'normal snacks', post up a list of your new options on the fridge and maybe even purchase a few allowable treats that would be new and interesting for a couple weeks.

In a nutshell, how long is this gonna take?  (Can you tell I don't do 'nutshell' very well?)

Sarah K
My not-so-professional opinion based on my experience is 2 weeks if you're taking in less than 30 carbs per day.  After 2 weeks, I went up to about 50 carbs per day and after a couple of weeks of this, I ate whatever I wanted.  Keep in mind, I didn't want sugar anymore because my taste for it had waned, but I was eating toast, hot cereals, potatoes occassionally, but no pasta - it's never really been my thing anyway.  My taste for sugar has returned  ::) but I still can't stomach high fructose corn syrup.  The smell of it in foods makes my stomach turn.

If you're taking in more carbs because of the pregnancy, I think it will take longer.  At 30 carbs per day,  you are virtually starving the yeast to death.  If you still take in ample sugars to feed "some" of the organisms, they will continue to thrive and multiply.  And since preggo mamas aren't supposed to take black walnut, you'd want to make sure you tried to stay on top of this with other methods like garlic, enzymes and probiotics.  The protein diets recommend 100 carbs per day for maintaining a healthy weight once the dieting is over.  I don't know if this is a reasonable amount of carbs for a pregnant woman, but I would think it would be enough to make menu planning a bit easier.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 07:45:53 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »
I agree with HB. If you really stick to the anti-yeast diet you will develop a distaste for the no-no foods. At least somewhat. So in that sense it will be easier to keep the yeast at bay. I would've thought it would take more than 2 weeks though. ??? I did the Beeyoutiful anti-yeast regimen for during pregnancy and it took more like a month to use it up.

As for signs of being cured, I assume you would want your symptoms gone or at least subsiding. Symptoms are different for everyone. I can't say my symptoms are forever gone- they still return when I eat much sugar, but that is very rare.

Hope my ramblings made sense. :-\

cecac

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »
Thanks lotsaboys, I was wondering how long I'm in for.  I may try to do two packs of it then, since it's only a month.  I was thinking it would be three months or something.

My personal opinion about carbs in pregnency is that I won't cut them, and I won't worry about counting them.  What I will do is try to eat a bit higher fat and protein so that I automatically don't grab the bread all the time.  My bread won't have sweetner, as I'm finding out there are other options. I've cut carbs way down, and I do not think I can weather how I feel when I do that and be pregnant at the same time. :-\  I guess I'll just have to do the cleanse longer if I feel there is need for it.  Thank you so much for this information HB.  I was hoping you'd chime in and let us know.

It won't hurt to be VERY regimented, IMO, with no white flour, sugar, honey, or even milk.  Those things can easily be cut with no worry of getting enough nutrients in pregnancy.  But, I will note that I am going to eat cheese and drink some raw cream every day (for dairy) as I am thinking those will be lower carbs.  And I also am thinking I need to commit to this part of the diet through the remainder of the pregnancy to help keep this stuff under control.  Guess a good kick in the pants is a good thing every now and then.

Just some more thoughts, and thank you so much HB and lotsaboys for the encouragement through discussion.  I will admit I will take all the encouragement for this that I can get.  I'm a little scared of trying anything in pregnancy, but I feel I'd like to get this one done before the rigors of birth and horomone fluctuation postpartum.
Cara
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:51:57 AM by cecac »

Offline little mama

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
So we are going to take the Preg Yeast Pack but what about the parasites?

cecac

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2007, 01:29:57 PM »
So we are going to take the Preg Yeast Pack but what about the parasites?

Wellll, I looked at the pregnancy pack yesterday on the beeyoutiful site and the Acidophilus Blast is in that pack, so there's the parasite cleansing.

I e-mailed them because I'm not so sure about that Acidophilus Blast, parasite cleansing (particularly Black Walnut), and being preggars.  Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think so because I clicked on the Pregnancy Anti-Yeast pack and it was in there.  I am waiting to see what they let me know.  I do not know what the ingredients are in that particular product.  I asked them to explain.

I have another question.   >:( >:( >:( so, I have the book Adrenal Fatigue, The 21st Century Stress Syndrom, on loan, from someone.  I just happened  >:( to open it up in the back.  Right before my very eyes was the glycemic index chart.  Guess which foods I crave that are on a par, or more, to eating a piece of white bread?  Wheat bread, cornbread (grits), tortilla chips, potatoes.

IS THERE ANY CONNECTION TO GLYCEMIC INDEX AND CLEANSING FOR OVERGROWTH OF CANDIDA YEAST?  Oh man if there is I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I guess I'm gonna get over it.

I did do a search on glycemic index, but only saw it once on a candida overgrowth thread.  Hope I didn't miss something. :-\

Thanks for any response,
Cara

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:34:10 PM by cecac »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
I agree with HB. If you really stick to the anti-yeast diet you will develop a distaste for the no-no foods. At least somewhat. So in that sense it will be easier to keep the yeast at bay. I would've thought it would take more than 2 weeks though. ??? I did the Beeyoutiful anti-yeast regimen for during pregnancy and it took more like a month to use it up.

As for signs of being cured, I assume you would want your symptoms gone or at least subsiding. Symptoms are different for everyone. I can't say my symptoms are forever gone- they still return when I eat much sugar, but that is very rare.

2 weeks for the diet (6 months to a year for the supplements).  Without a good probiotic supplement for a very long duration, the candida will return.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2007, 02:39:28 AM »

2 weeks for the diet (6 months to a year for the supplements).  Without a good probiotic supplement for a very long duration, the candida will return.

Question on this:

Is it okay to take the garlic for six months?  Or are you just speaking of the tummy tune up for six months?

Thank you,
Cara

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2007, 06:07:43 AM »

Makes sense. Gotcha now. :)

Question on this:

Is it okay to take the garlic for six months?  Or are you just speaking of the tummy tune up for six months?

Thank you,
Cara

I hope its ok on the garlic because I've taken it for about that long. I started the anti-yeast before baby was born and decided to continue after just to be sure I don't have any yeast issues with baby. Am glad I did as my last two babies had thrush and terrible diaper rash and this guy has had NOTHING of the sort. Woo-hoo! :D But back to the garlic- the bottle is never-ending and so I've continued to take it daily and haven't noticed any problem. Maybe I should look into it some more. :-\

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:13 AM »
Maybe  I didn't read enough context on this but if you are just asking about taking garlic caps in general you should be fine taking them for however long you like...Garlic is a blood thinner though so that can  be a problem I've heard towards the end of pregnancy or if you have some medical condition that would be problematic with  a blood thinner. otherwise garlic is wonderful for you and I can't think of any bad side effects in normal situations except maybe the runs and cramps from that! If you're nursing I think it is suppose to cause the baby to want more milk!!! it could maybe cause gas with the baby though???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2007, 07:01:11 AM »

Question on this:

Thank you,
Cara
Raw garlic is a health food, not a dietary supplement or medicine.  You can take it until the odor reaches the neighbor's house if it makes you feel good.  ;D

Don't know about the blood thinning properties.  Might be worth looking into.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »

Question on this:

Thank you,
Cara
Raw garlic is a health food, not a dietary supplement or medicine.  You can take it until the odor reaches the neighbor's house if it makes you feel good.  ;D

Don't know about the blood thinning properties.  Might be worth looking into.

Well, I'm taking odorless garlic gel caps so don't have to worry about the neighbors. :D And my baby is a buterball and super healthy. ;) Think there's any difference in taking the caps vs. raw garlic cloves for long term?

cecac

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:02 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I am asking because (and I think it's been on WTM, yeah, matter of fact I asked about taking garlic long term for immune boosting) and I was told no, that it is somewhat like echinacea and would lose it's ability. :-\

So I guess this is not the same type use?

Hmmmmm,
Cara

cecac

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »
Lotsaboys,

So you took the Anti-yeast pregnancy pack during pregnancy???  I was wondering that but didn't want to bug you.  Could you share what you did on diet, a little more specifically?  Did you have die off during the pregnancy?

Thanks, sorry to bug you some more.  My hubby is a little nervous, so I'm just trying to make sure I cover my bases and not surprise him or me :P.

Cara

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am asking because (and I think it's been on WTM, yeah, matter of fact I asked about taking garlic long term for immune boosting) and I was told no, that it is somewhat like echinacea and would lose it's ability. :-\

Hmmmmm,
Cara

I thought I remember reading the same thing on here... ??? Somebody help us!
Lotsaboys,

So you took the Anti-yeast pregnancy pack during pregnancy???  I was wondering that but didn't want to bug you.  Could you share what you did on diet, a little more specifically?  Did you have die off during the pregnancy?

Thanks, sorry to bug you some more.  My hubby is a little nervous, so I'm just trying to make sure I cover my bases and not surprise him or me :P.

Cara

Yes, I took it during the last trimester and since I didn't have majorly bad symptoms, I don't recall any die-off. Umm, diet. I didn't watch my carbs, but ate in a NT way so I wasn't eating much of anything that would feed yeast. Sorry, I'm not much help. :-\ I mainly took it because I knew I had enough yeast that I was passing it to my last couple babies and had thrush, diaper rash and I was extremely susceptible to breast infection. I have had none of the above with this baby. And I felt great, had better digestion than most pregnancies and neither baby nor I have picked up any of the bugs that have passed through our family. Don't know if that's exactly related, but I'm just trying to relay that I think the anti-yeast pack contributed to our success. hth :)

cecac

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »

Hmmmmm,
Cara

I thought I remember reading the same thing on here... ??? Somebody help us!
Lotsaboys,

Cara

Yes, I took it during the last trimester and since I didn't have majorly bad symptoms, I don't recall any die-off. Umm, diet. I didn't watch my carbs, but ate in a NT way so I wasn't eating much of anything that would feed yeast. Sorry, I'm not much help. :-\ I mainly took it because I knew I had enough yeast that I was passing it to my last couple babies and had thrush, diaper rash and I was extremely susceptible to breast infection. I have had none of the above with this baby. And I felt great, had better digestion than most pregnancies and neither baby nor I have picked up any of the bugs that have passed through our family. Don't know if that's exactly related, but I'm just trying to relay that I think the anti-yeast pack contributed to our success. hth :)

YES lotsaboys, thanks so much.  I have been worried that I won't be successful with this because I can't go low carb, but you have given me hope.  I do need to go straight NT type eating and more protein (more carb hungry in first trimester ???) never have understood that one, but anyway, that is very encouraging.  My #9 gal had some skin issues, so perhaps it might help.  Also, it might decrease my carb cravings, too.

Thanks a bunch,
Cara

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »

YES lotsaboys, thanks so much.  I have been worried that I won't be successful with this because I can't go low carb, but you have given me hope.  I do need to go straight NT type eating and more protein (more carb hungry in first trimester ???) never have understood that one, but anyway, that is very encouraging.  My #9 gal had some skin issues, so perhaps it might help.  Also, it might decrease my carb cravings, too.

Thanks a bunch,
Cara

Hey, glad I could encourage you.  :-*

cecac

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2007, 11:25:28 AM »
Just thought I'd post and say that I had forgotten that since I had Group B Strep with baby #1, like 17 years ago ::), I get 2 doses of antibiotic pumped into me when I go to the hospital to deliver. :o  Dh said no on the homebirth this time (and I was somewhat relieved, I admit.)  I'm not as young as I used to be, I guess.

So, I get to be completely wiped out of good stuff and bad stuff come end of May.  Will have had the same thing May two years before.

So, my plan of action is to do the Beeyoutiful pack now (I'm ordering today), keep up with Tummy Tune Up or some sort of probiotic through the rest of the pregnancy, have the baby, flood myself with more probiotics, and then maybe do the cleanse again.  I'm not sure when, though. 

Not sure I should flood myself with garlic the rest of the pregnancy, though, but I'll certainly take opinions.  On account of the neighbors, you understand. 

Seriously, though, what do you all think about the garlic?  Likely I'd just go to raw garlic cloves a couple of times per day for the remainder of the pregnancy.  Goodness I spend a lot on supplements, so I guess since it's cheaper my family and the neighbors will just have to get over it.

Or, I could stop the garlic after the cleanse, and then pick back up at like 34 weeks.  I usually deliver between 36 & 38 weeks.

I'll blame WTM if anybody gets offended ;D,
Cara

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
Hey Cara!
  Just thought I would recommend that you make sure that you are tested again for GBS. I was + with my first, I don't think they even checked with my 2nd because I had been with my first. I had a new Dr with #3 and she said that it varies pregnancy to pregnancy. I was tested and was neg!!!! I was so glad to avoid the mega doses of antibiotics this time around. So, if I were you , I would make sure to be tested again in case you are neg. this time and can avoid all of that!

As far as the garlic and probiotics go, I think that it would be a very good thing and may improve your chances of testing neg.  JMO

B

cecac

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
Thanks beppyjo,

Unfortunately, since I had strep B in the uterus, they don't care whether I test positive or not :P.  Maybe it has to do with the hospitals here.  I tried to fight it once with a midwife in a hospital, and it was no go. 

LOL, I don't ever test positive.  But, I guess I can ask my poor OB, again. :D  He'd have to fight the hospital, though. Only way I can go no antibiotic is to either 1. have a homebirth or 2. go to MS and forge my records there.  Believe me, I've thought about it.

So you vote I take the garlic all the way through and afterwards.

Thanks for that,
Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2007, 10:28:12 AM »
Hey Cara!
  Just thought I would recommend that you make sure that you are tested again for GBS. I was + with my first, I don't think they even checked with my 2nd because I had been with my first. I had a new Dr with #3 and she said that it varies pregnancy to pregnancy. I was tested and was neg!!!! I was so glad to avoid the mega doses of antibiotics this time around. So, if I were you , I would make sure to be tested again in case you are neg. this time and can avoid all of that!

As far as the garlic and probiotics go, I think that it would be a very good thing and may improve your chances of testing neg.  JMO

B

Exactly what I was thinking.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
Thanks ladies. My pack is coming in the mail, and beeyoutiful did e-mail me back and let me know that the products in the preggars pack will not send me into any type of cleanse (hence, there should be no die off symptoms).  I think, upon ya'll recommendation, I'll keep up with some garlic tabs and a probiotic throughout the pregnancy.  I'll likely be way more consistent if it's all in tab form, I'm having to down supplements three times a day anyway.

Okay, so someone else (can't find it to insert quote) wants to know about the parasite cleanse.  As far as what beeyoutiful e-mailed me, it was my understanding that you will not get a parasite cleanse with this preggars pack.

We can't do that due to our preggar inability to cleanse.  But, if we keep our probiotics high and do some garlic, maybe we can keep it in check?

I have thoughts on GBS, think I'll pop over to that thread and share.

Thanks again for all thoughts,
Cara

EDIT:  I just looked at the pregnancy anti-yeast pak, and the acidophilus blast does say, "for daily use in cleansing your body of yeast and/or parasites."  I guess it's just an aid?   ???  Perhaps without Yeast Assasin, which we cannot take, it doesn't actually cleanse?  ???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:32:33 PM by cecac »

Offline little mama

• Learning
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »
I take it that I should avoid anything that would cause die off symptoms while I'm nursing, is that correct?

cecac

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »
I am thinking that, also.  I re-read a portion of the e-mail sent to me by someone at beeyoutiful, and she said I would not want a product like Yeast Assassin because it would cause die-off symptoms.  The pregnancy pak from beeyoutiful builds up but has no products in it to cause die off.

So likely, we wouldn't want to do anything that would cause die-off, right?

HTH,
Cara

cecac

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »
I am wondering what's going on here ???.

I started the Anti-yeast preggars pack from Beeyoutiful this week.  Have noticed twice now that I can get nauseated/tummy upset if the supplements are taken too far away from eating.

Last night was one of those times, and it was the worst.  I swallowed my supplements a little before bed (congratulating myself for taking them three times) and then woke up enough at some point last night with stomach cramps.

I don't know--is this cleansing?  If it is, I thought I wasn't supposed to do that.  I hadn't been nauseated for two or so weeks now, so  ???

I am taking no supplements today and hopefully will get back on track tomorrow, but perhaps I need to take those beeyoutiful ones with only breakfast and lunch.  The other thought might be that I'm just getting too much of the good stuff taking three doses per day.  There's a lot of probiotics, soil organisms, etc in these supplements, so can you overdo it?

Thanks for any ideas,
Cara

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2007, 11:00:24 AM »
just one thought, some people experience some discomfort with garlic and enzymes on an empty stomach.  And I would think if your actually experiencing detox it wouldn't matter if you took them on a full or empty stomach you would still have symptoms.

-Heather