Author Topic: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]  (Read 136427 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Treating Candida [Yeast] While Pregnant [or Nursing]
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 10:39:06 AM »
I wondered about this as well. I used a cotton ball, soaked it in kefir and placed it inside for a couple of hours and I haven't had a problem in that area since.  My problem though seems to be that it is starting to effect my breasts now that I'm going to be nursing a baby again.  One of my earlier children developed thrush and I have sort of had an on again off again problem with itchiness on my breasts since then and can't get rid of it. Any suggestions for that area?

You can treat this the same way.  Apply something probiotic (kefir, garlic, tummy tune-up or even antifungal cream).  I would recommend that as soon as you are able that you take some Yeast Assassin and remove the sugars from your diet as much as possible and possibly take some probiotic supplementation to keep this from happening again. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »
I wondered about this as well. I used a cotton ball, soaked it in kefir and placed it inside for a couple of hours and I haven't had a problem in that area since.  My problem though seems to be that it is starting to effect my breasts now that I'm going to be nursing a baby again.  One of my earlier children developed thrush and I have sort of had an on again off again problem with itchiness on my breasts since then and can't get rid of it. Any suggestions for that area?
A bra soaked in kefir?

Okay, seriously... we've had several ladies mention having success with sprinkling Tummy Tune-Up Original Blend on their breasts before and after feedings. This seemed to heal the baby and the mama at the same time.
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 03:29:06 PM »
The cotton ball is a good idea, I'll have to try that.  Thanks for sharing. ;)
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 02:17:27 PM »
I've heard of this before, and I started it, but I didn't have much help or info.  That was probably 3 years ago or so.  I know that I have this, and possibly my children.  But, I'm pregnant, so I guess I need to wait to start anything?  I've been working on replacing our foods, and getting rid of white flour, sugar, etc. 

Is there anything I can do while I'm pregnant, and also while I'm nursing?  I see you can't take the Yeast Assasisin while pregant, probably not while I'm nursing too?  I'm hoping that changing to better foods will help the kids too.

Wendy

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 03:22:22 PM »
Keep on working on your foods and do the water cure.  You can also take probiodics to help battle the yeast. 

I think that is about it for yeast while you are nursing or prego.

:)

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »
I feel  for you!!!!!!!!   I had a horrible round with my first pregnancy!  My prayers are with you too!!
Try a search on here  "What can be done about candida while pregnant"  I don't know how to list the the thread but you should find it if you type it in on search.  BW

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 03:37:06 PM »
 I forgot to mention one thing.
 If you are in the middle of a really horrible spell where you really need some instant relief.  You might try this, it really was the only thing that worked for me as quick relief  (you will need to do more than this to cure it though)
Anyway,  Carefully peel a whole clove of garlic without damaging it at all and wrap it in a wee peice of gauze, pour a bit of olive oil on it and insert it in your vagina before you go to bed.  (I even did this during the day sometimes, but it tends to work its way out) You want to make sure that you don't break the skin or it could burn your skin.
There is a lot of good advice on the thread I mentioned, hope it helps.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
wouldn't it be okay to take garlic?  I am nursing right now and I am drinking ACV (which is good even while pregnant to prevent water retention and is also antifungal)taking GSE and one garlic clove a day.  It doesn't seem to be adversly affecting baby. 

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »
wouldn't it be okay to take garlic?  I am nursing right now and I am drinking ACV (which is good even while pregnant to prevent water retention and is also antifungal)taking GSE and one garlic clove a day.  It doesn't seem to be adversly affecting baby. 

I don't think I would take the GSE every day.  But I am not a GSE pro.  I just read that it can act similar to an antibiodic on your skin and it kills good bacteria in addition to the bad.  Garlic is superior in that it doesn't kill good bacteria. 
I eats lots of garlic and am nursing.  I ate it all through prego too, and none of my kids ever complained. 

Offline OnthewayMom

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 12:20:06 PM »
   Just Pregnant and wanting to do the Anti-Yeast cleanse
« on: October 19, 2006, 04:23:58 PM » by OnthewayMom
Hi,  This is my first post, and I have a question about taking the anti yeast cleanse as I am about 5 weeks pregnant.  I am positive that I have candida and would like to take care of it.  Is this the wrong time?  I just had a miscarriage 2 months ago and do not want to risk another one.  I would love some advice.
Thanks!

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 07:37:33 AM »
Ok, I have no idea where to post this question, there are so many different threads relating to yeast problems.  :o I've been on this computer all morning trying to figure everything out, and I still have some questions. Here's the history, then I will get to the questions. (Sorry, I'm the type of person who needs step by step instructions or I get completely lost  :-\ )

...family history moved here.

Also, for me, I would really like to have the yeast cleared up before I go into labor. And that is getting really close. I'm due in 4 weeks, and this baby is REALLY low and I'm having contractions, so I'm hoping I don't go too early. Although this has never been an issue for me, I always go late. So if I do a really strict diet and take the TT and eat garlic all day long  :P , do you think I could get rid of it that soon? I don't want to take the chance of passing the yeast to the baby during delivery, but I also want to make sure I'm getting the nutrition the baby needs. And would starting Supermoms affect the yeast cleanse at all?

Ok, I'm really sorry about this huge long post!   :P If anyone actually made it this far, lol.  :D I've been reading all morning, and still couldn't quite figure it all out. I don't want to spend all my husbands hard earned money on supplements and different foods and then not even do it right.  ??? Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 08:10:21 AM by healthybratt »
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 08:09:11 AM »
Ok, I have no idea where to post this question, there are so many different threads relating to yeast problems.

I'm moving the bulk of your post to the Candida/Yeast Thread as everyone in your family is not pregnant (I hope ;)). 

I've been on this computer all morning trying to figure everything out, and I still have some questions. Here's the history, then I will get to the questions. (Sorry, I'm the type of person who needs step by step instructions or I get completely lost  :-\ )

I Think I Have Leaky Gut and/or Candida:  What Now?

Also, for me, I would really like to have the yeast cleared up before I go into labor. And that is getting really close. I'm due in 4 weeks, and this baby is REALLY low and I'm having contractions, so I'm hoping I don't go too early. Although this has never been an issue for me, I always go late. So if I do a really strict diet and take the TT and eat garlic all day long  :P , do you think I could get rid of it that soon? I don't want to take the chance of passing the yeast to the baby during delivery, but I also want to make sure I'm getting the nutrition the baby needs. And would starting Supermoms affect the yeast cleanse at all?

I would recommend lots of probiotics and fermented type foods.  Read back through this thread for more information on treating yeast during pregnancy.  I doubt that you can have it all cleared up before the birth.  It can take anywhere from 4 to 12 months (or more) to clear up a severe case of candida and/or leaky gut; however getting on good diet and probiotics can lessen the chance of baby being afflicted as you.  Also if you intend to nurse, you will continue to give baby the benefits of the probiotics and fermented foods through your breast milk.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 01:46:37 PM »
I am not sure I am treating for yeast problems, but i am taking probiotics because of nipple and breast ichiness during pregnancy. I am going to start taking an enzyme plus intestinal flora combo. I would like it if you all could take a look at the ingredients and let me know if there are any that you have had red flags about...

Protease
Amylase
Lipase
Cellulase
Lactase
Maltase
Sucrase
Marshmallow Root
Slippery Elm
MagnesiumCitrate
Calcium Citrate
A whole bunch of bacteria like acidophilus, bifidus, streptococcus thermopilus and more of these sorts.

thanks

P.S. I have posted this before here and I can't resist...five years ago I TOPICALLY treated a yeast infection using homemade garlic suppositories....never had a vaginal infection since.  I peeled a clove and barely bruised it, at night I inserted it in my vagina (I know I know but if you are desperate enough you might find it helpful), then in the morning it came out. The next night I put a little slit in the clove (a different clove  :P) and let it sit all night, the next night I put two slits....and the following nights I increased the slits. I stopped after a total of five nights and it was cleared up..again, this was a topical fix, not an internal one.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 06:38:05 AM »
bump
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »
well, not sure if you've tried this, but i made a garlic tea, just one clove smashed then poured about a cup of hot water over it.  when it cooled i used it to just douse the area.  i didn't have anything else so just used a bulb syringe.  i did this about 2 days and it went away.  and yes it stung, but not intolerable.  i took that to mean it was working.  hope you get better soon. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 07:43:08 AM »
you always have such helpful advice 4myhoonie Thank You! So did you like stick the syringe up and squirt inside or just the outside area? The garlic clove inside I'm saving for the last opyion, but the tea doesn't sound as scary to me. thanks/
My experience is that the whole fresh garlic clove inside overnight is much less painful than any other option I've tried.  And it works rather well.  It is my understanding that this is what they teach ladies to do in 3rd world countries where medical care is scarce.  (I think it's far better than any medical alternative. ;))

Just as an FYI, I've also tried a solution of melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) diluted in olive oil.  Talk about burn!  :o While I'm certain the melaleuca oil is effective, I would NOT recommend this method unless you have no pain sensors down there whatsoever.  ;D
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2007, 07:48:18 AM »
you always have such helpful advice 4myhoonie Thank You! So did you like stick the syringe up and squirt inside or just the outside area? The garlic clove inside I'm saving for the last opyion, but the tea doesn't sound as scary to me. thanks/
My experience is that the whole fresh garlic clove inside overnight is much less painful than any other option I've tried.  And it works rather well.  It is my understanding that this is what they teach ladies to do in 3rd world countries where medical care is scarce.  (I think it's far better than any medical alternative. ;))

Just as an FYI, I've also tried a solution of melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) diluted in olive oil.  Talk about burn!  :o While I'm certain the melaleuca oil is effective, I would NOT recommend this method unless you have no pain sensors down there whatsoever.  ;D
I agree on both points.  The garlic doesn't burn at all and the TTO doesn't even have to make it all the way there before it's uncomfortable.  Had some inadvertent contact before and had to take a shower immediately afterwards.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »
My experience with the whole garlic cloves is one peeled (but not chopped) clove inserted at bed time.  It finds its way out during a pee in the morning.  I've done this daily for up to 7 days - usually seeing results between day 3 and 5.

:) hth
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline little mama

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2007, 09:39:38 AM »
Okay, so you all have convinced me that I have a leaky gut. The Yeast Assassin sounds great but I am a nursing Mama. my hubby says that I will probably be nursing or pregnant for quite a while  ;) so what can I take to kill those yucky things in my gut? If you have any suggestions, please include dosage amounts. thanks.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:09 AM »

Okay, so you all have convinced me that I have a leaky gut. The Yeast Assassin sounds great but I am a nursing Mama. my hubby says that I will probably be nursing or pregnant for quite a while  ;) so what can I take to kill those yucky things in my gut? If you have any suggestions, please include dosage amounts. thanks.

You could use the pregnancy yeast kit from Beeyoutiful, or use Olive leaf. Mountain meadow herbs recommends Olive Leaf for parasites/yeast problems in pregnancy/nursing.

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/olive-leaf-liquid-extract-p-41.html?osCsid=652a3516f69b707ed6662d8c5b7bd015
http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/olive-leaf-liquid-extract-p-41.html?osCsid=652a3516f69b707ed6662d8c5b7bd015

It says it got rid of thrush, and thats yeast.  The Olive leaf looks easy, and it says its safe for expecting/nursing mothers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:53:28 AM by herbs girl »

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2007, 10:55:49 AM »
Could you also just take probiotics when nursing?

Just wondering... ;D
Wife to Patrick
Mother to Karina, Keenan, Kyra, Kainos, and Kemuel
My blog  www.xanga.com/smithzonian
www.xanga.com/prayforKemuel

I HAVE A BREATHTAKING VIEW OF HIS GRACE

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »
Could you also just take probiotics when nursing?

Just wondering... ;D

Yes. But it will take a lot longer and may not do as good a job.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

cecac

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2007, 11:28:53 AM »
little mama,

I am also looking at doing a cleanse for this, and I'm pregnant.  I just read on one of the threads, and it looks like you do treatment until symptoms subside.  Although, six months was recommended for parasites.  I'm not sure that the olive leaf extract or the beeyoutiful line are either one for parasites.   ???

cecac

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
So I'm going to do beeyoutiful's cleanse pack for pregnancy/nursing women, hopefully I'll order it first of November.

I want to talk about diet.  Being preggars, I don't want to cut out raw milk,  homemade whole wheat bread, or cheese.  I can cut out all fruit if it's a must, and I will cut out all sugars (except maybe honey in my tea 2x per day??) for the duration of the treatment.  Will I de-rail the effects of the cleanse that way?

Also, it says in here to drink kefir, eat fermented foods, etc.  The strangest thing has been that I get ill on our homemade kefir in this pregnancy.  It's better now, but still......I have some lacto fermented sour kraut, but I don't know if my stomach will keep it down.  Is that telling me something?  Should I go ahead and choke these two items down each day, regardless?

I'd appreciate some straightfoward, "Cara, get over it and do it right" if that's what ya'll need to tell me. :P  On the other hand (as in my bread :D) I don't want to suffer anymore than I have to. 

I am doing this to just make sure I am cleaned out.  I don't have yeast infections, bladder infections, etc.  But, I have had some pretty serious horomone issues, and they got worse after a miscarriage.  I was hoping that a cleanse in the pregnancy might really help postpartum.

Thank you for any input,
Cara

Also, bumping for little mama, who had a couple of questions.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:33:58 PM by cecac »

cecac

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 06:18:07 AM »
Little Mama- yeast cannot survive very well at all with lots of probiotics in your gut.  I would recommend taking a probiotic pill w/ every meal for the next several years.  Probiotics do nothing but good and will never harm you while prego or nursing.   Also, really watch your sugar and also if you would learn how to make your own 24 hr yogurt and eat it everyday that would be good.

Cara-the beeyoutiful packet sounds good but you will need to cut out almost all fruit and no honey while doing it!  Sorry for you!  I cannot handle kefir either but yogurt taken w/ your probiotic capsule would be better.  Try sweetening your plain yogurt with stevia.

Teach your family how to make 24 hr yogurt as this is just filled w/ probiotics.
Check out the yogurt thread.  justjane

Thanks justjane,

So I guess I'll have to cut out the bread (it has honey ::)) but I can keep cooked corn grits and rice on hand.  With butter I ought to be able to take it.  I thought of stevia, so I will go ahead and switch to it for when I do want some sweet in my tea, or maybe on rice.

Unless someone cautions me, I think I will keep on with raw milk.  If I was having any overt symptoms, then I'd drop it.  But I'm not, so I guess I am hoping that my body can handle it.

Thanks again,
Cara

Offline little mama

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 07:52:14 AM »
So here is what I should do, cut out all sweetners, take the cleanse pack and tummy tune-up. it would probably be to much to do the cleanse pack plus the preg. yeast pack all at ounce right? I already take Super Mom, I assume that I should continue that as well. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!

cecac

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
littlemama,

I just looked on Beeyoutiful.com, and the Pregnancy Anti-Yeast Pack is what I am going to use.  It already has Tummy Tune Up in it.  Perhaps you would want to continue with Tummy Tune Up after your cleanse?  I am thinking it might help you because you have symptoms of infection?

Your plan sounds good!!  I hope you get to feeling better very soon, and I'll pray for you as I do this, also.

Cara
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:45:13 AM by cecac »

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
Just wondering....

I too have wanted to cut out sugars and "cleanse" via diet.

However, I've heard that it's not safe to start cutting out sugars and carbs abruptly when your're pregnant/nursing because the die off will cause toxins to pass to your baby.  In other words, it's dangerous to "start" the cleanse while pg/nursing. Is that true?

I've always thought that we needed to keep fruits/honey in our diet and wait until done nursing to do the strict cleansing.

Please post your opinions 'cause I've wondered if I can cleanse too, or should I wait?

My baby already has a congenital defect, I believe that may have been caused by my starting to drink kombucha in my 12th week 'cause it helped with morning sickness.  Problem was that I was so toxic because of a eating such a bad diet during my 1st trimester that I detoxed a little when drinking it and supposedly, his type of defect occurs between the 13th and 17 week of development. At least, I believe that's what happened.

Again, I'm not sure of this, it's just a speculation and a caution to those wanting to "cleanse" while pregnant.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:34:47 AM by smithzonian »
Wife to Patrick
Mother to Karina, Keenan, Kyra, Kainos, and Kemuel
My blog  www.xanga.com/smithzonian
www.xanga.com/prayforKemuel

I HAVE A BREATHTAKING VIEW OF HIS GRACE

cecac

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Perhaps it is a good question, then, to ask for testimonies of those who have done a candida cleanse pregnant or nursing?  Could they share their testimonies with us? 

Cara

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »
I guess I didn't post on this thread, but here goes. Last week I tried going on the no/low carb diet for a thrush (oral yeast) infection. I checked my urine after 1.5 days and I had developed ketoacidosis. That is where your body starts using its own tissues to provide energy and calories. I was eating a lot of food, but essentially no carbs. I always felt hungry. It's because my nutitional needs were NOT being met. Chances are if yours aren't baby's probably aren't either. I do know that if a woman develops this in labor it can cause distress (lowered heart rate) in baby, so it can't be good prenatally. I think you could probably do gluten free grains or like me use wheat w/out yeast. I know it will take longer to get the thrush cleared up, but feeding my   baby is a lot more important to me. :D I would not personally encourage a mom to make a major dietary change during pg. My sister lost 40 # during one of her pg, and her daughter was born with lung problems and was on meds and an apnea monitor for over a year. I think it was because of detox from the weight loss. Just my observations and opinions.
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13