Remedies & Therapies > Food Allergies / Intolerance

Causes of Allergies?

(1/7) > >>

HappyWifey:
Sooo... being a person who has only one mild allergy, (sulfa drugs) and having not dealt with allergies ever in my life other than the one time I got a rash from sulfa drugs, and one summer when I was 16 I suddenly developed a short (one summer only) allergic reaction (asthma like) to pine pollen.. I haven't really dealt with them, and certainly not since I have become interested in natural health.

Having been on WTM for three years, I have seen lots and lots of posts about allergies, and intolerance in ways I have never imagined, and to things I never thought someone could be allergic to! This has caused me, especially lately reading through Denim&Lace's struggles with her newest little one, as to what causes allergies? Is it something inherited, or conditional?

mykidsmom:
Good questions.  It is multifaceted.  Generally there is an inherited lack of gut integrity and also a passing of food allergies from a parent which further hurts gut integrity as most people don't know right away a kid has food allergies which cause gut damage.  So you've got inherited factors. 

Then you've got poor digestion/absorption issues that can be inherited, also damaging gut integrity. 

But to be inherited someone had to get the allergy in the beginning and that comes from eating foods too processed.  If you look back several generations, true food allergies were not real common.  But people ate whole foods, raw milk, etc.  With each passing generation that has gotten more and more processed, we begin to see more and more allergies as our bodies were not made to recognize processed foods, only unprocessed foods. 

So now you've got the perfect storm.  You've got poor gut integrity from poor eating habits AND poor gut integrity from developed food allergies that the person didn't know about.  They pass both things down and it becomes worse with each passing generation. 

The incidence of food allergies in my generation and my kid's is very high and getting worse because of the processed diets.  By the next generation (if the Lord tarries), things are going to be disasterous if people don't start to figure this out. 

The problem with diagnosing food allergies is MOST people will say, "I've never been allergic to anything!"  Well, you don't know that until you test it out and remove a food for awhile and then try to eat again.  That's how you know if you are actually allergic to something (short of testing, of course).  So there is denial going on which just passes a bad gut and allergies to the next generation. 

Don't know if that helped at all. 

patti

HappyWifey:
It was very helpful! It has made me curious also, about when you said people being in denial, or not realizing they are allergic to certain foods. Is it possible that I could be allergic to something and not yet realize it?

Also, would you assume that since I have no apparent inherited allergies from my family.. (No one else has an allergic reaction to sulfa drugs, although I just remembered that all my family has a SLIGHT allergic reaction to most house cats) And eating a 95-98% Organic, healthy diet... Will my children be much less likely to have allergies then say.. Your grandchildren?

snickerdoodle:
Well I know that I have lived on dairy my whole life.  Milk 3 x + a day, butter, lots and lots of cheese!  But I've been off of dairy for almost 2 months and the other day I decided to have a big cold glass of good raw milk (that couldn't be what's bugging baby boy so much anyway cause I've been off of it for two months, right?)

Migraine.
Tummy Ache.
Runs.

If you would have asked me if I'm allergic to milk I would have said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  But I would have been wrong, wrong, wrong. 

Oh and baby boy broke into a horrible, hot, inflammed, itchy mess. 

No more milk for me.

mykidsmom:

--- Quote from: HappyWifey on December 12, 2009, 08:06:10 PM ---It was very helpful! It has made me curious also, about when you said people being in denial, or not realizing they are allergic to certain foods. Is it possible that I could be allergic to something and not yet realize it?

Also, would you assume that since I have no apparent inherited allergies from my family.. (No one else has an allergic reaction to sulfa drugs, although I just remembered that all my family has a SLIGHT allergic reaction to most house cats) And eating a 95-98% Organic, healthy diet... Will my children be much less likely to have allergies then say.. Your grandchildren?

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is possible you could have food allergies and not know it (that is the case with most people that have them).  I would expect you would have some symptoms and not even realize they are related.  That's what happened to my husband.  He had what he thought were "growing older" pains (he's almost 50).  Ended up every one of them was food related.  Blood pressure can be food allergy (his was creeping up).  Obvious outbreaks like hives and eczema are always food allergies.  Anger outbursts, excessively mushy bowels, chronic constipation.  Gas, bloating.  I could go on and on.   Oh, and obvious one, autoimmune diseases very likely have a food allergy component to them. 

Yes, if you don't have food allergies now, it's much less likely your children would have them and their children (presuming you're eating a whole food diet - not just organic).  I did some reading a long time ago and it said it takes 4 generations for a food allergy to present wholeheartedly in a person.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't have shown in previous generations, just in a milder form.  And it also takes 4 generations of whole food eating to get rid of a food allergy out of a genetic line.  Of course, the gut also has to be fixed in that time because you can pass on a gut that's bad which can lead to food allergies.  So my grandkids will be better off then my kids (lesser allergies) because we eat a whole food diet.  So long as my kids maintain that diet.  I have two that are good about a healthy diet and one that can't wait to eat all the crap she can.  So I'm going to guess she is going to struggle.   And on down the line until we're 4 generations out.

If you really want to see if you have a food allergy (or even a tendency) without testing, etc. take all the dairy out of your diet for 30 days.  It's a good exercise in discipline.   ;D  Then start eating it again and see what happens.  If you get sick, you're allergic.  And if you've got a dairy allergy, you've likely got other allergies.  It would be rare to only have a dairy allergy (although it does happen).  But it would at least tell you if your body is inflamed.  Also, if you do experiment, you'd want to see if you notice any other symptoms go away.  Moodiness, anger, fatigue (which is a huge gluten indicator), rashes, loose bowels, constipation, gas, etc.  All things that would go away to some extent (depending on how many allergies a person had) if you remove dairy (depending on which symptoms the dairy is causing). 

It would be an interesting experiment for you and certainly give you insight into the world parents live with their kids that have food allergies.    :o

patti

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version