Author Topic: Causes of Allergies?  (Read 19936 times)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Causes of Allergies?
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:15:06 PM »
Sooo... being a person who has only one mild allergy, (sulfa drugs) and having not dealt with allergies ever in my life other than the one time I got a rash from sulfa drugs, and one summer when I was 16 I suddenly developed a short (one summer only) allergic reaction (asthma like) to pine pollen.. I haven't really dealt with them, and certainly not since I have become interested in natural health.

Having been on WTM for three years, I have seen lots and lots of posts about allergies, and intolerance in ways I have never imagined, and to things I never thought someone could be allergic to! This has caused me, especially lately reading through Denim&Lace's struggles with her newest little one, as to what causes allergies? Is it something inherited, or conditional?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Causes of Allergies?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »
Good questions.  It is multifaceted.  Generally there is an inherited lack of gut integrity and also a passing of food allergies from a parent which further hurts gut integrity as most people don't know right away a kid has food allergies which cause gut damage.  So you've got inherited factors. 

Then you've got poor digestion/absorption issues that can be inherited, also damaging gut integrity. 

But to be inherited someone had to get the allergy in the beginning and that comes from eating foods too processed.  If you look back several generations, true food allergies were not real common.  But people ate whole foods, raw milk, etc.  With each passing generation that has gotten more and more processed, we begin to see more and more allergies as our bodies were not made to recognize processed foods, only unprocessed foods. 

So now you've got the perfect storm.  You've got poor gut integrity from poor eating habits AND poor gut integrity from developed food allergies that the person didn't know about.  They pass both things down and it becomes worse with each passing generation. 

The incidence of food allergies in my generation and my kid's is very high and getting worse because of the processed diets.  By the next generation (if the Lord tarries), things are going to be disasterous if people don't start to figure this out. 

The problem with diagnosing food allergies is MOST people will say, "I've never been allergic to anything!"  Well, you don't know that until you test it out and remove a food for awhile and then try to eat again.  That's how you know if you are actually allergic to something (short of testing, of course).  So there is denial going on which just passes a bad gut and allergies to the next generation. 

Don't know if that helped at all. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »
It was very helpful! It has made me curious also, about when you said people being in denial, or not realizing they are allergic to certain foods. Is it possible that I could be allergic to something and not yet realize it?

Also, would you assume that since I have no apparent inherited allergies from my family.. (No one else has an allergic reaction to sulfa drugs, although I just remembered that all my family has a SLIGHT allergic reaction to most house cats) And eating a 95-98% Organic, healthy diet... Will my children be much less likely to have allergies then say.. Your grandchildren?

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »
Well I know that I have lived on dairy my whole life.  Milk 3 x + a day, butter, lots and lots of cheese!  But I've been off of dairy for almost 2 months and the other day I decided to have a big cold glass of good raw milk (that couldn't be what's bugging baby boy so much anyway cause I've been off of it for two months, right?)

Migraine.
Tummy Ache.
Runs.

If you would have asked me if I'm allergic to milk I would have said ABSOLUTELY NOT!  But I would have been wrong, wrong, wrong. 

Oh and baby boy broke into a horrible, hot, inflammed, itchy mess. 

No more milk for me.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:57:41 AM »
It was very helpful! It has made me curious also, about when you said people being in denial, or not realizing they are allergic to certain foods. Is it possible that I could be allergic to something and not yet realize it?

Also, would you assume that since I have no apparent inherited allergies from my family.. (No one else has an allergic reaction to sulfa drugs, although I just remembered that all my family has a SLIGHT allergic reaction to most house cats) And eating a 95-98% Organic, healthy diet... Will my children be much less likely to have allergies then say.. Your grandchildren?

Yes, it is possible you could have food allergies and not know it (that is the case with most people that have them).  I would expect you would have some symptoms and not even realize they are related.  That's what happened to my husband.  He had what he thought were "growing older" pains (he's almost 50).  Ended up every one of them was food related.  Blood pressure can be food allergy (his was creeping up).  Obvious outbreaks like hives and eczema are always food allergies.  Anger outbursts, excessively mushy bowels, chronic constipation.  Gas, bloating.  I could go on and on.   Oh, and obvious one, autoimmune diseases very likely have a food allergy component to them. 

Yes, if you don't have food allergies now, it's much less likely your children would have them and their children (presuming you're eating a whole food diet - not just organic).  I did some reading a long time ago and it said it takes 4 generations for a food allergy to present wholeheartedly in a person.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't have shown in previous generations, just in a milder form.  And it also takes 4 generations of whole food eating to get rid of a food allergy out of a genetic line.  Of course, the gut also has to be fixed in that time because you can pass on a gut that's bad which can lead to food allergies.  So my grandkids will be better off then my kids (lesser allergies) because we eat a whole food diet.  So long as my kids maintain that diet.  I have two that are good about a healthy diet and one that can't wait to eat all the crap she can.  So I'm going to guess she is going to struggle.   And on down the line until we're 4 generations out.

If you really want to see if you have a food allergy (or even a tendency) without testing, etc. take all the dairy out of your diet for 30 days.  It's a good exercise in discipline.   ;D  Then start eating it again and see what happens.  If you get sick, you're allergic.  And if you've got a dairy allergy, you've likely got other allergies.  It would be rare to only have a dairy allergy (although it does happen).  But it would at least tell you if your body is inflamed.  Also, if you do experiment, you'd want to see if you notice any other symptoms go away.  Moodiness, anger, fatigue (which is a huge gluten indicator), rashes, loose bowels, constipation, gas, etc.  All things that would go away to some extent (depending on how many allergies a person had) if you remove dairy (depending on which symptoms the dairy is causing). 

It would be an interesting experiment for you and certainly give you insight into the world parents live with their kids that have food allergies.    :o

patti

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
Patti, could it be that eliminating a certain type of food from your diet (say milk), could alter your digestive balance as in the body stops producing the necessary enzymes to break it down once it hasn't been consumed in a while?  I'm not sure if it works that way, but it seems odd that a person would (D&L's example in mind here) would have such a violent reaction when they were used to eating it before.

I found this summary of the GAPS diet book, and there is LOTS of good info here on allergies being passed down, etc.

http://performancewithoutpain.com/2009/08/
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
Patti, could it be that eliminating a certain type of food from your diet (say milk), could alter your digestive balance as in the body stops producing the necessary enzymes to break it down once it hasn't been consumed in a while?  I'm not sure if it works that way, but it seems odd that a person would (D&L's example in mind here) would have such a violent reaction when they were used to eating it before.

I found this summary of the GAPS diet book, and there is LOTS of good info here on allergies being passed down, etc.

http://performancewithoutpain.com/2009/08/

Gwen, I guess that could be possible.  Hate to compare us to dogs but........ ;D  If you looks at a dogs digestive system, if it's used to kibble it does not produce enough (not none) of the enyzmes needed to digest raw meat.  So when we switched to a raw meat diet for dog we had to go slow and in smaller amounts until her body was used to it and could increase her enzymes for raw meat (correct me if I'm wrong Jaque).

So translating (if that's possible) - it would seem reasonable to me that one would have not enough enzymes to digest milk (changing the gut balance) if they don't use dairy.

BUT (there's always one of those isn't there?) - if my son is any indication, it IS possible to react after eating something the body hasn't reacted to before.  What that indicates is that the allergy is so severe the body is now at the freaking out stage.  For example, my son got his first hives at 14 months.  Looking back, they were obviously from food he was allergic to.  But there were foods he was allergic that didn't produce hives until all of a sudden one day over a year ago.  He had a violent reaction to what he was eating that he had been eating for 7yrs.  Goats milk?  Beef?  I don't know which one it was that sent his body over the edge, but there hit a point where his body just lost it (think crying, screaming baby) and he broke out all over in eczema.  So, it is possible to react like that instantly even if you've been eating that thing forever.  There is a tipping point in the body.

I will read the GAPS link.  I do agree with some of what she says.  I think, in principle, she is very knowledgeable about the gut.  I just don't agree with how she goes about healing it.  But I also don't believe the road we're taking is the only road to healing from food allergies either.  It's just the road I know that has worked for us.  I fully believe the GAPS diet works, I just think it's too restrictive when it doesn't need to be in order to produce healing.  That might turn some people who really need healing away from doing anything.  KWIM?  But in general, her knowledge of the issue is steller. 

patti

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
Patti,

I come from the very basic premise that God designed our bodies to eat the foods he created, and to be able to adapt to changes in our food sources.  So the other thread on how excluding gluten long term may be detrimental to gut flora is very interesting to me!  I guess I'm just sort of trying to put the pieces together for all of this.

I do see where you're coming from on slowly introducing 'new' foods into your dog's diet...and I could see where that could also come into play with humans as well.

As far as suddenly reacting to a familiar food, wasn't that one of the things that led you to seek out even more serious help for your son? 

Re: a tipping point
I know soon after we got married, my dh came down with awful sinus allergies/eye swelling, etc.  His doctor told him that if you make a lot of changes to your environment, and an allergic reaction is triggered, then your histamine levels are hightened to where things that normall wouldn't bother you are going to trigger reactions as well.  We had moved into a very dusty old carriage house over another person's storage space (mildewy/probably rodents, etc.), he had started sleeping under a feather comforter, and also had an indoor cat.   :o  We made some major changes and his allergies went away, but now he can sleep with a feather comforter with no problems (and our home is *not* dust free) :)  But some cats still bother him.  I think cat dander is a mild allergy, but the combination caused a serious reaction.

So I'm sort of thinking that food allergies could be similar: making major changes is necessary for healing at first, but eliminating entire food groups that have historically been dietary staples could actually backfire in the long run.  I'm thinking adding back in (slowly and consistantly) could be just as important as removing for long term recovery.

I haven't read the GAPS book, but I liked the review.  She brings up some good points about food quality (dairy esp.)
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
I read the intro/summary and on a VERY basic level, it fits with a Nourishing Traditions and Maker's Diet type approach.  I realize there are slight differences, but a common premise.

I agree with Gwen that God did make our bodies to eat and utilize the foods He provides, but as there were negative biological changes due to the fall, it is logical to me that disease and additional biological changes have occurred over the years. 

I am also of the opinion that the method of food growth and preparation has changed drastically in the last 100 years or so, and even more since the WWII era.  This has probably had a tremendous effect and as we are now into the 3rd and 4th generations we are reaping the consequences.

With children with a fair amount of food allergies, my limited experience would lead me to initially eliminate the allergans, heal the gut as best as possible, and reintroduce foods prepared in a Nourishing Traditions manner.  With the long term goal of eating a complete and balanced diet, properly prepared.

I understand the need to supplements on occassion, but have chosen to use foods whenever possible (i.e. raw goat kefir and yogurts rather than probiotics; kombucha rather than digestive enzymes, etc.).

This is just my opinion.  And limited at that.  :-)
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
I fully believe the GAPS diet works, I just think it's too restrictive when it doesn't need to be in order to produce healing.  That might turn some people who really need healing away from doing anything.  KWIM?
  :D I keep smiling when I think of the above.... Love the different perspectives we come from! Good point. Guess it depends on what is the highest motivator.
I often recommend GAPS because it so inexpensive if you have access to farm products. The diet is will almost always facilitate healing even before some could afford testing.   :)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »

The diet is will almost always facilitate healing even before some could afford testing.   :)

So agree with this.  Would much rather someone attempt GAPS then do nothing at all. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »
Lori,

Totally agree with you on the food thing.  I think much better to use foods to heal then supplements.  The body wasn't intended for supplements.  But I'm thankful we have them!  Cause in my house I can't touch the kefir (dairy) and no one will touch the kombucha.   :D

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:10:43 AM »
Since I've posted so much here about my DS's allergies and our walk in the world of eczema, hives, etc. I decided to post this here.  What I'm most interested in is HOW much healing has taken place in the last year since we started my hubby and myself and girls on an AF diet.  My DS has been AF since Nov. 2008 - so just over a year.  We have ELISA tested him about every 3 months up until this past summer.  So this is a six month test check for him.  My ND said complete healing would take approx. two years.

I fingerpricked everyone today (1/5) for a new ELISA food panel test.  Soooo anxious to see where everyone's at.  Have to post my predictions here to see how close I get.  

Must warn you all - we did the fingerprick test and I found out that it only tests IGG (long term reactions) to foods.  I was unhappy as our others have always been IGE and IGG.  So, if you want the FULL Elisa test, make sure you get blood drawn (5 tubes).  While my ND said this is fine for us now that we're a year into healing, it is not for my DS whom we're still seeing changes all the time.

Expect all of hubbies "pseudo" allergies to be gone (he was only NOT allergic to 3 types of berries out of 96 foods).  Only the majors to remain (on a scale of 0-6).  Gluten about 1/2 way point.  Dairy and eggs about 3/4 point.  

Well, apparently hubby didn't have "pseudo" allergies like I thought.  :-[  All of his fruit/veggie allergies are greatly improved (almost a 2) but still there.  Some of them are gone for good and others increased.  For whatever reason broccoli showed up for all of us (we don't even eat the stuff).  I have started chcking into families of foods and am finding certain families are at issue more then the food itself.  I'll have to post more on that later.  His gluten allergy is only a 2!!!!  It was maxed out before so that's a huge improveme.  His nightshade allergy went from a maxed out 6 to a 2.  Some huge improvements for him.  Where we saw no improvement, literally, was dairy and eggs.  After comparing his test to the rest of ours I would say now that he won't see any changes in those two for at least another year and even then I would guess he'd only drop to a 5, maybe.  But all in all, significant improvement. 

Expect both girls to be allergy free of the gluten.  About 1/2 on the dairy and eggs.  Oldest DD was not happy.  Dairy improved from a 6 to a 4 and gluten the same.  She was so unhappy!  All of her other allergies are gone except sugar which actually got worse.  She's a sugar fiend (very yeasty girl) and we struggle with her with this.  Dairy and eggs about the same as her dad's number wise.  Not much improvement. 

Expect myself to be 1/4 on the gluten, 1/2 on the dairy and eggs.  I am a low 1 on gluten!!  I went from a 6 to a 1!!!  Not that I plan on running out and eating a ton of gluten, but it sure does make it easier to eat out!  Also, I still react to gluten by getting knocked out tired for 3 days.  So while I don't have the anger issues anymore, I do still react.  Eggs and dairy are at 4.  Not a ton of improvement there either.  Everything else looks better.  Tomatoes are 0 and potatoes are a 2.  Good improvements there.  I banana and pineapple allergy exactly the same.  Probably because I'm allergic to latex and I have fruit/latex syndrome.  Will likely always have those. 

Think three of us will be 1/2 on the nightshades (girls not allergic to them).  This ended up being accurate for Ron and I. 

So there's my predictions.  We'll see how close I got.  :-)    It has definately taken me a full year to get to that point.  

DS and youngest DD's test won't be back until Monday.  I'll finish this post then because there are some things I've learned that will be worth sharing in terms of food groups, etc.

patti
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:26:58 AM by mykidsmom »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »
As a result of our allergy tests coming back and some weird stuff showing up I've been looking into food families.  For whatever reason spinach has shown up as a new allergy for my husband; except we don't eat it except raw in salads during the summer.  Not often enough to create an allergy to it.  So in looking it up, spinach is part of the amaranth family and both hub and I have allergies to amaranth (mild).  Quinoa is also in this family.  Which explains why we don't feel well when we eat quinoa and why we probably don't like amaranth.  My flour mix is supposed to use 2 cups of quinoa but if we do that we all hate it.  The taste is very strong to us. But other people I know say it doesn't taste like that at all.  So it makes me wonder if our allergy to amaranth in particular changes our taste buds for it to taste terrible to us.  Or, does quinoa taste that strong to everyone?  It would be interesting to find out if food allergies change the taste buds as a method of the body trying to tell someone they shouldn't eat that thing.  That would be an interesting study!!   ;D

For now, I will keep the quinoa and amaranth out of my flour mix to try and help hubs spinach allergy and just because we aren't fond of them anyway. 

Asparagus is the other weird one we're all allergic to.  It is in the Lily Family.  This would include onions, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots, aloe vera, and several other onion type foods.  So while we don't eat asparagus (because we showed allergic to it), we're still showing an allergy to it.  The allergy has gotten better, but still exists.  The funny thing is, we were all very allergic to garlic and the three tests I've gotten back, we're no longer allergic to garlic. 

Clearly, sometimes, when a person is allergic to a food, they are allergic to all foods within that family.  My son is very much like this.  While the rest of us are allergic to asparagus, we're not allergic to the other foods in that family (at least not anymore - we were at one time).  I still am of the opinion that we need to keep asparagus out until the allergy shows none otherwise we will likely invite the garlic allergy back into our lives at some point. 

The other thing I learned which amazed me but explains my son's allergies on a much different level is when someone has a dairy allergy that is bad enough, they will also likely react to beef, SHEEP, LAMB, GOAT, AND BUFFALO.  I caps those because we knew our son couldn't eat beef but we could not figure out why he was becoming so allergic to the other three.  Now we know.  I use a lot of buffalo because we can't use beef and it's a good substitute.  I am unsure at this point if we ignore these meat allergies that are popping up or if I must treat them as such.  My feeling is I must treat them because I noticed that none of our dairy allergies got radically better like I would have thought they should.  This may be why.  If we're eating a lot of buffalo, the dairy allergy would be aggravated.  It is something I will be talking with ND about for sure.

So, I'm learning lots of interesting things when it comes to the gut and allergies.  But as always, it goes back to the gut.

Hope someone finds this useful.

patti

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Very interesting Patti. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
Two more things. I will ask the ND on Tuesday.  I'm thinking that maybe eating duck eggs is what is keeping our egg allergy at its peak.  I'm not sure if it was our probiotic having dairy in it that kept our dairy high because we took it daily (not anymore as of the other day!) or if it's the buffalo meat.  I'm still looking for a good non-dairy probiotic.  For now, we're without one.  

I've talked/worked with now, 20 plus ladies either regarding themselves or their children.  I was talking to someone the other day and the one consistency that keeps coming up is the more vaccinated a child/person is, the greater the egg allergy.  I'm noticing that those that had 5 vaccs have an egg allergy in the 4ish range.  Those with 1-4 in the high 1- 3 range and those with no vaccs have no egg allergy.  Some of these are in the same family, some are not.  This holds true for my family as well.  

I realize this is a small amount of people but the consistency is too much to ignore.  I would bet if we tested, anyone who has had a vacc has an egg allergy.  Think for a second at enormity of that in terms of people.  We know food allergies damage the body and can cause autoimmune diseases, and we know vaccs damage the gut.  This is beginning to give me a much bigger picture of our societies health on the whole.  We know diseases are becoming more rampant but I believe this is why (along with bad diets).  Obviously it takes more then one thing to create the diseases we have.  But you vacc a culture, the bad gut kicks in (inherited or vacc caused), they eat a bad diet, and you get what we've got today.  The picture is becoming so much clearer to me.  

just some observations.

patti
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:09:07 PM by mykidsmom »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
Two more things. I will ask the ND on Tuesday.  I'm thinking that maybe eating duck eggs is what is keeping our egg allergy at its peak.  I'm pretty sure it was our probiotic having dairy in it that kept our dairy high because we took it daily (not anymore as of the other day!).  I'm still looking for a good non-dairy probiotic.  For now, we're without one. 

I've talked/worked with now, 20 plus ladies either regarding themselves or their children.  I was talking to someone the other day and the one consistency that keeps coming up is the more vaccinated a child/person is, the greater the egg allergy.  I'm noticing that those that had 5 vaccs have an egg allergy in the 4ish range.  Those with 1-4 in the high 1- 3 range and those with no vaccs have no egg allergy.  Some of these are in the same family, some are not.  This holds true for my family as well. 

I realize this is a small amount of people but the consistency is too much to ignore.  I would bet if we tested, anyone who has had a vacc has an egg allergy.  Think for a second at enormity of that in terms of people.  We know food allergies damage the body and can cause autoimmune diseases, and we know vaccs damage the gut.  This is beginning to give me a much bigger picture of our societies health on the whole.  We know diseases are becoming more rampant but I believe this is why (along with bad diets).  Obviously it takes more then one thing to create the diseases we have.  But you vacc a culture, the bad gut kicks in (inherited or vacc caused), they eat a bad diet, and you get what we've got today.  The picture is becoming so much clearer to me. 

just some observations.

patti

Patti, thanks for sharing you results and musings/observations.  I'm noting the egg and dairy info especially. I just wanted to add that neither I or DS have had any vaccines and he tested at 3 w/the ELISA and I tested 4/white and 5/yolk!  Call us the lucky unvaxed that have egg allergies.  :P ::) 
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »

Patti, thanks for sharing you results and musings/observations.  I'm noting the egg and dairy info especially. I just wanted to add that neither I or DS have had any vaccines and he tested at 3 w/the ELISA and I tested 4/white and 5/yolk!  Call us the lucky unvaxed that have egg allergies.  :P ::)  

Actually, what that means is that your allergies to them are likely to go away.  People who have been vacc'd are unlikely to ever completely get rid of an egg allergy.  I bet by this time next year, if you abstain from eggs, that your allergy will be gone.  I'm still unsure if duck eggs are a problem with cross allergies but if they're not, then yours should be gone in a year.

patti

modified to fix quote function~boysmama
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:03:53 AM by boysmama »

Offline dvbrd

• Learning
    • Surviving Allergeez
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:07:59 AM »
Two more things. I will ask the ND on Tuesday.  I'm thinking that maybe eating duck eggs is what is keeping our egg allergy at its peak.  I'm not sure if it was our probiotic having dairy in it that kept our dairy high because we took it daily (not anymore as of the other day!) or if it's the buffalo meat.  I'm still looking for a good non-dairy probiotic.  For now, we're without one.  

I was reading your post and saw that you were without a good probiotic. I recommend Solaray  Multidophilus, it is non-dairy. I bought it at my local health food store in the refridgerator section and use it for everyone in our house but specifically for my son who is allergic to dairy, eggs, and shrimp. He does very well when he has to take it. Hth.

Jennifer

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 06:30:43 AM »

I was reading your post and saw that you were without a good probiotic. I recommend Solaray  Multidophilus, it is non-dairy. I bought it at my local health food store in the refridgerator section and use it for everyone in our house but specifically for my son who is allergic to dairy, eggs, and shrimp. He does very well when he has to take it. Hth.

Jennifer

Thanks.  I looked at a solaray product online the other day but didn't see this one.  Either that or it didn't have enough bacteria for me.  I will double check.  Thanks again!

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »
My overpriced Pharmax probiotics have worked great for us, Patti.  I even use it for 'starter' for my saurkraut.  I plan on making yogurt with it from fresh breastmilk, if I can ever get to that point, for  (2 yo) Mo.  Since I am even more restricted on what I can eat than she is, I figure it should not cause a reaction for her now.   

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/HLC-Probiotics-by-Pharmax-40choose-from-12-types41-40Non-Returnable41_p_1099.html

I'm going to try the Mind Linx at some point.  It is specifically for folks with gluten and dairy allergies... 

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »

Call us the lucky unvaxed that have egg allergies.  :P ::) 

Yeah, the only two of my kids that have reactions to eggs are the two youngest that haven't be vaxed. 

But I'm thinking that our allergy issues are due to other things.  With the oldest three we lived in Missouri, worked and played outside a lot, and were 8 to 12 years younger when they were conceived...

Less vitamin D, less exercise, added to the fact that we are older... among other things.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »
My overpriced Pharmax probiotics have worked great for us, Patti.  I even use it for 'starter' for my saurkraut.  I plan on making yogurt with it from fresh breastmilk, if I can ever get to that point, for  (2 yo) Mo.  Since I am even more restricted on what I can eat than she is, I figure it should not cause a reaction for her now.   

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/HLC-Probiotics-by-Pharmax-40choose-from-12-types41-40Non-Returnable41_p_1099.html

I'm going to try the Mind Linx at some point.  It is specifically for folks with gluten and dairy allergies... 

Thank you.  I will be checking into it when I have a "normal" computer again (ours crashed, I'm running off of a laptap at the moment - which I don't like at all!).

patti

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 07:28:19 AM »
Please read this...carefully, even if you've seen it before.  :)
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,603.msg3823.html#msg3823

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
...after seeing so many families become what appears to be nutritionally depleted and/ or develop allergies after switching to whole foods....I think that more attention needs to be given to the preparation of those whole foods and the transition in any food habits.

For example, in an animal it takes time...months....to change over the bacterial balance in their stomachs so that they can use a new feeding system without getting sick.  I've been wondering if that doesn't apply to humans as well.
Say a family learns about whole foods and starts transitioning. All of a sudden the stomach is overwhelmed with foods that should have been chewed better and for which the acid levels are not high enough to deal with. For processed foods a "normal" amount of stomach acid would be too much and now all of a sudden it is too little. Now ill prepped food is moving down to the intestines fueling bacteria and yeast imbalances and poor uptake of nutrients which leaves the intestinal lining even more vulnerable.

sound crazy?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
...after seeing so many families become what appears to be nutritionally depleted and/ or develop allergies after switching to whole foods....I think that more attention needs to be given to the preparation of those whole foods and the transition in any food habits.

For example, in an animal it takes time...months....to change over the bacterial balance in their stomachs so that they can use a new feeding system without getting sick.  I've been wondering if that doesn't apply to humans as well.
Say a family learns about whole foods and starts transitioning. All of a sudden the stomach is overwhelmed with foods that should have been chewed better and for which the acid levels are not high enough to deal with. For processed foods a "normal" amount of stomach acid would be too much and now all of a sudden it is too little. Now ill prepped food is moving down to the intestines fueling bacteria and yeast imbalances and poor uptake of nutrients which leaves the intestinal lining even more vulnerable.

sound crazy?

I think this makes total sense.  Although, I know for us, the allergies came first which is what led us to a whole foods diet.  But we probably overwhelmed the system because the change was almost over night.  I just finished reading a GAPS article off of another thread and I think she covers the gut bacteria so very well.  It's probably prudent and wise for someone switching from a SAD to a whole food diet do use lots of fermented foods at least initially.  Personally, I can't stand fermented stuff but the two worst people in my house love kraut so I'm good with feeding it to them! ::) ;D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »
boysmama, I've known several missionary families who have a terrible time transitioning to the new diet/foods/water of where they move to.  I would highly agree that food transitions need to be gradual...the body is made to adjust, but not overnight.

Also, it's my opinion that our 'clean' processed foods and sterile living conditions here in the US (along with other factors) lead to a weak mix of gut flora to start with.

I think that a preferable transition would definitely involve locally grown foods, as opposed to just purchasing organics through the grocery store or natural health store...or even from grains that are shipped from far away.  In cases where you're importing a good quantity of your food, you're exposing yourself and family to a broad mix of soil and water organisms that may overwhelm the weak exisitng flora.  Using local produce at least would be 'familiar'. :)

Just some thoughts! 

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »

Patti, thanks for sharing you results and musings/observations.  I'm noting the egg and dairy info especially. I just wanted to add that neither I or DS have had any vaccines and he tested at 3 w/the ELISA and I tested 4/white and 5/yolk!  Call us the lucky unvaxed that have egg allergies.  :P ::)  

Actually, what that means is that your allergies to them are likely to go away.  People who have been vacc'd are unlikely to ever completely get rid of an egg allergy.  I bet by this time next year, if you abstain from eggs, that your allergy will be gone.  I'm still unsure if duck eggs are a problem with cross allergies but if they're not, then yours should be gone in a year.

patti

modified to fix quote function~boysmama

Just thought I'd add here for your data collection.  Of my first 2 dc who were vaccinated up to 3yo and 2yo, neither of them are allergic to eggs.  Baby #3 received his first 2 shots (reacted to them which caused us to stop vaccinating) and he is allergic to eggs.  Baby #4 and 5 have not had any vacc. and #4 is not allergic to eggs, but #5 vomits within 1-2 hours of eating eggs (severely allergic).  I wonder if the increased number of vacc being received by children these days increases the difficulty of getting rid of the egg allergy...good info. thanks for continuing to add your experiences  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:32:57 AM by amy »

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »
Glad this thread popped up.
Anyone struggling with multiple food allergies should read this article.
http://tuberose.com/Adrenal_Glands.html

Or, if you don't want to read that article, research the link between adrenal fatigue or malfunction and allergies. Certainly true in my case! The good thing is those types of acquired allergies are reversible.

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 02:36:22 AM »

Or, if you don't want to read that article, research the link between adrenal fatigue or malfunction and allergies. Certainly true in my case! The good thing is those types of acquired allergies are reversible.

I supposed adrenal fatigue could be related to allergies in some people.  I've had my adrenals checked and found no problem...still have allergies though...