Author Topic: grinding your own GF flours?  (Read 5629 times)

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
grinding your own GF flours?
« on: December 12, 2009, 04:56:20 PM »
So, have any of you GF folks tried grinding your own flours?  If so...

1. What grains do you recommend grinding and which do you prefer to purchase as a flour already?
2. Which grain mill would you recommend?  Are rice and beans harder to grind than wheat/rye/barley affecting the type of mill you want? 
3. Where do you purchase your whole grains/beans/seeds?
4. Is it worth the extra time and effort that it takes?
5. How much grain do you recommend keeping on hand? (family of 7 here)
6. Any other information you care to pass on would be appreciated!

YoopreMama

Re: grinding your own GF flours?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
I grind my sorghum from Twin Valley Mills in NE in my Vita Mix.  I already owned it before I became interested in grinding, but I have a dry container for grinding and it works very well.  It's noisy, but it works for us.  :)  I buy tapioca flour.

I have ground brown rice, beans, corn (huge kernels), nuts, millet, and oats successfully in the V-M to mix w/ the sorghum.  I sift out any larger pieces, but the results are generally pleasing.

I buy from UNFI...it's nationwide, and our group has a delivery once/month (similar to Azure Standard).

It's cheaper, more nutritious and that works for me.  ;)

I buy in 25 - 50 pound bags, but I don't bake as much as some.  My sorghum bucket is big...not sure the size.  Lasts the better part of 6 months - 1 year.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
I ended up betting 2 (25 lb) buckets from Twin Valley and only having to pay for 1.  They messed up and sent 2, so I'll have grain forever!  I also buy buckwheat from Country Life Natural Foods (in 5 lb bags).  I use a Whisper MIll (I think it's called something else now) but I heard the Nutrimill is really good too.  Almost all grain mills are loud, even the "Whisper" Mill.  It's much cheaper (and healthier) to grind it.  Once ground, the grain loses its nutrition quickly, if not kept frozen.  Chickpeas are hard to grind.  But other beans have been done successfully.  I get my beans and seeds from Country Life also.

Offline and

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:06:56 AM »
I grind in my cuisinart coffee grinder and have had luck with rice, sorghum and millet, but not chickpeas- for the record- do not try milling chickpeas in a coffee grinder.  Did you know you can buy the organic cream of buckwheat cereal in 50# bags from Wollf's Kasha?  You have to order by phone and ask specifically for it, but it works out to about $106 with shipping for us- buy to buy the box at the store 50# is about $230.  I presume they would offer whole groats in this way as well- might even be cheaper.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
I have ground beans, rice, millet, and corn so far. All successfully. I buy all my grains from Azure. Up here there is only a very small amount of GF products available in the stores, all of them I can get from Azure in a much larger quantities and for much cheaper.