Author Topic: First Postpartum Menstration and Milk Supply.  (Read 4984 times)

Offline debbiez

• Adept
First Postpartum Menstration and Milk Supply.
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Hello All,
        I just had my first postpartum period.I was really surprised because my daughter is only 11 weeks old.
  I have read that babies who sleep more at night,thus nursing less, tend to make their mommy's cycle return.My daughter has been sleeping for 6 hours at night since 4 wks and has increased to 7-8 hours recently. Is this the cause for my cycle to return? I was really hoping it would stay away a little longer like most BF mothers does.
 My milk supply has decreased with the return of my cycle.I didn't realize my daughter wasn't getting enough till I thought she still might be hungry and offered the other breast , she took to it right away. I have always nursed one side.Now I feel as if she is draining both sides.
  I have the Mama's milk tea but I am unsure how much to drink daily.
 Is there anything more I can do ? I DO NOT want to supplement formula.
 Any advice is much appreciated.
  If a similar question to this has been asked please direct me I could not find it.
                                thanks ,
                                        Debbiez
Wife to my loving husband!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: First Postpartum Menstration and Milk Supply.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:35:31 AM »
Hi debbie!

It just sounds as though you need to learn a bit more about breastfeeding and, if you want to delay your cycles, learn more about how to do that.
These threads may help.

Decreased/Low Milk Supply

Reconciling Lactational Amenorrhea with Sleep Training

hth!
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:10:09 AM »
Debbie, is it going okay?

My advice is NOT to supplement, if at all possible.  That is a slippery catch 22 slope.....once you begin filling her tummy with a supplement, she will take less from you, causing you to create less milk....leaving her needing more supplementing...

(You know that I suppose!)  ;D

Le Leche League teaches to nurse often as you can to build milk supply.  Not necessarily every 2 hours...watch your baby to see that she does build a bit of an appetite, so that she will nurse deeply on at least one breast (and alternate which you offer first) every feeding. 

Stay super hydrated, and I would choose high protein foods often.

While my cycles always returned 9-18 mos. after birth (nursing fully), I do have friends that did the same, didn't supplement, whose cycles returned as early as yours. 

Offline debbiez

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:48:38 AM »
  Things are much better.I moved DD to feeding every four hours instead of three.Thus she was hungrier and not "playing" as much.She is more satisfied.
 I am still drinking MM Tea it seems to help too
 My Cycles have been sporadic and I don't know what to think about that.I'm just glad it has not come back full force.
 Thanks for asking.
                    Debbiez
Wife to my loving husband!!