Author Topic: Hyperflexibility  (Read 5711 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Hyperflexibility
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
I was told recently by a nurse lady at a church we were visiting that my baby's ankles are hyperflexible. I thought it was a little odd that she could clap with her feet! She told me to try to massage them while I'm nursing. She asked if anyone else is like this. I started to think and my oldests elbows go the other way when he extends them. No complaints though. My 2 year olds foot turns in alot of times when running/walking and he falls alot. Is there anything else that can help them(the baby and the toddler) with this? Any other thoughts?
Thanks
KN

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: Hyperflexibility
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
I would have thought hyperflexibility would have been a good  thing. ???
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
Nope it isn't normal or good for you. There is even an article of it being linked to CFS.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:38:23 AM »
 What's CFS?
 I can clap with my feet and am very flexible, up to this point, in my 30's never noticed a problem with it. I have some cousins and nephews like this too and they don't seem to be having problems.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I've heard more and more about how being hyperflexible isn't good- like all those little gymnast girls bending unnaturally.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »
Really - can you provide any sources or links to the correlation between CFS and hyperflexibility?  (And does anyone know the difference between hyperflexibility and hypermobility?)  I did some reading this summer on CFS, and this fall on hypermobility . . . . so I'm curious.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:24:15 PM »
Hehheh- the internet. ;D http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hypermobility-of-the-Joints-May-Be-The-First-Sign-of-Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-34618.shtml

and here's another quote from the internet "For example, if you are as flexible as a Gumby toy, you probably do not want to spend hours every day practicing yoga. In fact, hyper flexibility can destroy the integrity of your joints and lead to injury. In other words, you should not be able to bend over backwards for anyone or anything unless you have enough strength to pull yourself back up. Hyper mobile people should add strength training to their fitness routine."