Author Topic: Wool Breast Pads  (Read 11934 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Wool Breast Pads
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
A friend of mine mentioned that she was getting wool breast pads for this pregnancy.  She said her sister in law had raved about them.

Since I had read a bit about using wool for diaper covers (instead of plastic pants), I was interested.  After doing some reading and research, I'm going to try making my own wool breast pads out of felted, good quality (thrifted) sweaters!

Here are some of the interesting things I've read about wool:

-natural wool contains lanolin...the same stuff that is recommended for breastfeeding!
-wool is absorbent, but keeps you feeling dry.  It's got great breathability.
-wool that is lanolinized is antibacterial, and doesn't need to be washed very frequently...air-drying between uses is supposed to keep it smelling fresh.
-wool felts easily.  Felting happens when the ridged fibers are agitated and lock together, forming a thicker mat.  We discovered this on our own with the washing machine. :D  Felting creates a thicker, even more absorbent wool.
-Cheap wool is scratchy/itchy, but a good quality wool won't irritate your skin (cashmere is just one example!).  Some people are allergic to wool, though.
-you can easily make your own wool wash and lanolinize your wool with the same lanolin that you can buy for breastfeeding.  No need to buy expensive products to care for your wool.  You can also add other essential oils to your wool wash like eucalyptus or lavender for scent and for their good properties!
-there are patterns out there for recycling wool sweaters into diaper covers.  The breast pads are really simple to make, and you can make them to any size you want.  One sweater is more than enough for several pairs.  I may even make an overnight pair with extra layers.

Here are some links I've found helpful
homemade wool wash:
http://justclaire.blogspot.com/2009/03/home-made-wool-wash.html
great article on properties of wool:
http://www.diaperware.com/washing%20instructions/sudzndudzuseandcare.htm#everyuse
Wool Soaker Pattern:
http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html
and here is an example of a wool breast pad & some reviews:
http://www.danishwool.com/products/item/nursing_pads.html
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hedy

• Adept
Re: Wool Breast Pads
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:13:19 AM »
I just read about these too in Real Food for Mother and Baby.

"For me, nursing pads were essential equipment until my milk supply settled down, but I hated them until I found lovely wool ones made in Denmark. Unlike the cotton kind, these don't feel clammy. Thy don't smell like sour milk either, for reasons having to do with the magical properties of wool, and scarcely need washing.

She recommends www.DanishWool.com as well.

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
I was ordering some Milk Diapers nursing pads (my favorite cotton ones) and saw that the site had these wool pads a bit cheaper.

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:47:33 PM »
I tried wool pads with my first who is now three and really didn't find them helpful.   I really did try them and was so excited to experience the wonders of wool.  They never seemed to absorb my milk and I am not one who leaks excessively.   Also, when I did wash them, even with the nicely scented lanolinized wool wash they smelled kind of like a stinky sheep :)  Not that I have that much experience with sheep, stinky or not, but they definitely didn't smell very pleasant.   If I had used some essential oils they probably would have been better.   
I finally asked someone at a cloth diapering store that sold them (I bought mine online-they are the Danish wool brand) and they didn't really know, but when I compared mine to the ones they had in the store, mine looked very felted compared to the loose open weave of the new ones there.  My guess was that the felting that may have happened accidentally when I washed them inhibited their absorbency.   I really was not impressed, but love wool for so many other things.   Maybe with my next baby (#3) I could give them another try.  I hope that they work better for others.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:13:30 AM »
I had the same experience...... I was so excited wen I bought them but ended up hating them. I had so many wet shirt experiences and they seemed obvious under my shirts. I will not be using them again...... I understand they work for some but maybe I just leaked too much  :-\ :-[

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
I was the one the recommended them to Gwen... ;) I am undecided about my wool pads right now. They do work better than the cotton ones but I still leak once in awhile, but I do produce enough milk for six babies!

I do believe they helped with my cracked n*pples though and that is worth it alone!

I also like that you can pick your size and the bigger ones are nice for me.

But, I really did think I wouldn't have any leaks....

I'll review again in a few weeks. :)

Offline Freedom

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
I tried wool pads with my first who is now three and really didn't find them helpful.   I really did try them and was so excited to experience the wonders of wool.  They never seemed to absorb my milk and I am not one who leaks excessively.   Also, when I did wash them, even with the nicely scented lanolinized wool wash they smelled kind of like a stinky sheep :) 

This exactly.  I SO wanted to love, embrace and enjoy my wool pads, but I've been embarrassed by them so many times, when the cotton ones or even the disposable ones last so much longer. Just this morning, I put them on, and two hours later my my milk letdown, I had to go change my shirt. *Sigh*
"The king is enthralled by your beauty;
       honor him, for he is your lord."

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:41:10 AM »
Are different brands better than others?  I leak a good deal and would really like to use wool if possible...
~Em

Offline nick-hemilt

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »
Well,  I am interested to buy some lily padz or just buy disposable breast pads? I don't want to create any  more waste, but if maintenance and cleaning are a pain then I'd rather just use throw-away. Any suggestion?

lily padz

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
I would think if you're making your own you could put a waterproof layer in, like used for diaper covers.  Then you wouldn't have leak-throughs.