Author Topic: Weight Watchers  (Read 5124 times)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
Weight Watchers
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:02:52 AM »
Hi!!

Ok... I have lots of questions about this weight loss program...

I would like to know ALL about it! Is there anyway for me to be able to do it without paying for it?? Like maybe buy a book somewhere or something??

Who has actually done this diet?? Has it worked?? How much did you lose? How fast?? Did the weight stay off??

Is it really worth the money??

If you have ANYthing to say about weight watchers, I want to hear it please!!  ;D
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Weight Watchers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:45:11 AM »
Have you read this thread? Especially this post...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3214.msg140606.html#msg140606

I'll agree with that assessment. Sparkspeople is free, you can input your own whole food recipes to get accurate calorie counts per serving. You can track calories eaten, types of calories, calories expended in exercise, and water intake. You can set your own goals, which I liked. The recommended percentage of calories from fat was low IMO. I can't remember if I was able to reset that to my own goals or if I just superimposed the info I had on what was shown. There are forums if you want encouragement and accountability.

I have used the recipe calculator and calorie tracking extensively when I realized my whole food portions weren't even adding up to 1200 a day. It felt like alot of food, but wasn't enough. In my case more  led to balance which led to weight loss.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:55:12 AM »
I have never done any of this sort of diet, but my MIL and 3-4 of my SIL's, plus 3 close friends all do Weight Watchers.  They have great results s long as they stick to the plan.
  HOWEVER....
Out of all of these people, only one of them is healthy and her weight loss is the slowest.  She sticks to whole foods and just uses WW to help her balance and control her portions, snacks and desserts.  It's a way for her to stay aware and accountable, and she also uses the gym weekly and goes walking each evening.  She is looking so good and improving her health.
The other six people all give in to the gimmicky foods that destroy their health.  The WW brand desserts, snacks, etc. are all full of chemicals and nothing real.  They avoid fruits because the sugar drives up their point count, but they drink diet sodas all day long.
  To me this is backward thinking.  Not only is it unhealthy - in some cases worse for one's health than carrying the extra weight - but it is my personal theory that it will eventually backfire.  (This is my explanation for yo-yo dieting.)  I believe that the body can only be deprived of basic food needs for so long before all will begin to shut down normal functions and either store everything as fat because it is being starved of recognizable food, or binge on unreasonable choices in a desperate attempt to fill the cravings.
  Now, I am not a dietician or a dieter, so I am anything but an expert.  I just believe that the foods God gave us were designed to keep us healthy.  It is my opinion that any person can achieve a healthy, fit body by simply making smart real-food choices, controlling their portions and eating schedules, and maintaining a level of activity that has their heart rate and breathing elevated several times each day for at least 20-30 minutes.  This can be anything from working out to dancing to playing with the kids or cleaning and doing yard work. 
  All of that is to say that I believe that any program can succeed or fail based on how a person chooses to use it.  I think that the best success stories are ones that don't trade one health risk for another.  Good luck with whatever you decide.    ~L

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »
Hi!!

Ok... I have lots of questions about this weight loss program...

I would like to know ALL about it! Is there anyway for me to be able to do it without paying for it?? Like maybe buy a book somewhere or something??

Who has actually done this diet?? Has it worked?? How much did you lose? How fast?? Did the weight stay off??

Is it really worth the money??

If you have ANYthing to say about weight watchers, I want to hear it please!!  ;D

Everyone I have ever known that was on it was not skinny.  Now, that may be obvious, but I know some ladies who had been on it for years.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
Thanks ladies!!

That was one other thing that I forgot to mention: is there any website that is similar to weight watchers, but free?

Now I know sparkspeople.com was mentioned. I have tried using them before, and was not too impressed after a while. Maybe I was just becoming lazy  ::)

I'm gonna give them another chance.... maybe I can achieve my goals with out wasting money....  ;)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 04:56:45 AM »
I just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone else can tell me anything about it..

Is there anywhere I can just buy weight watchers info without actually having to pay to sign up to them??

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:29 AM »
If I were you, I would call the local WW gym and ask if they can meet with you to "sell" their program.  Not only would it be likely to answer most of your questions, but you may even gain enough info to do it on your own.  I think they sometimes offer free seminars, but I could be confused.  ~L

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »
A lot of times you can go the first week for free.  I would call and ask them.  You might have to sign up, then cancel.  If you do have to pay, it's only $13/week.  So, as long as there's no registration fee, it would cost you $13 to get the info.  The first week's booklet spells out the program.  At the end of the meeting, the group leader will explain the program to you, so you will understand it. 

You can buy a new member's kit for $25, that has a huge listing of food and points values.  Plus another eating out points book, and a 12 week journal to record your food intake and progress.  But, it's not entirely necessary.  The first book explains most of it.  Then, you can just not go back.  That would be a way to get the program. 

They also offer an online program.  I think it's just $12/month?  That would explain the program, and you could cancel it right away, after you understand it.  I personally like having the first week book in hand, for reference, but it's not rocket science.  You'd get the hang of it pretty quickly.

The only hard part is:  that weekly weigh in is a huge incentive.  Maybe you could form your own WW with some friends, just to keep up the pressure.  ;D

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:28:30 AM »
I just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone else can tell me anything about it..

Is there anywhere I can just buy weight watchers info without actually having to pay to sign up to them??

I've seen pages of books, points value charts, etc. on e-bay.  I just got a little bit confused trying to figure out which ones were current and which ones were from a few years ago.  But with a little cross referencing WW website, it isn't too hard to figure out.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »

My Mom bought an extra manual for me when she was with WW, which I used without ever going to a meeting or paying any extra fees for.  I just made extra journaling pages on a word processing program, and I'll print them out as I need them.

I bet if you are part of a freecycle group, that there would be someone in your area that would be willing to give them away.  Worth asking!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline LenaB

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »
Hey there its-me518, I have been on WW and lost weight and keeping it off. Just have to watch that you don't over eat nor do too much cheating.
I only used the online version which is $16.95 per month but I thought the online tools were worth it. I lost a total of 20 something pounds over several months. Would have lost more but I got lazy with inputting my food each day and maybe cheated too much but the diet does work. Have not got to my goal weight but at least it got me to my healthy BMI range.
HTH  :)