Author Topic: vaporizer recommendations?  (Read 3395 times)

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
vaporizer recommendations?
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:08:55 AM »
I need to buy a new vaporizer. I had one that was a Kaz brand and I didn't like it. I didn't like the design, it was one of those that have a flat, wide sort of base that is very difficult to clean. Also the heating unit coninually leaked this black chunky residue.

Anyway, that one doens't work anymore and I need a new one. But I want a hot steam one that works well and is easy to clean. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
Re: vaporizer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »
Bump :)
Doesn't anyone have a vaporizer they like?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:01:20 AM »
Bump :)
Doesn't anyone have a vaporizer they like?
I just use the cheap ones from W-M.  I think they are the Vicks (like the vaporub) brand.   I've had mine for several years and it works fine.  I have noted the 'black grit' on occasion and figured it was particulates from our water as I don't tend to use filtered water. 
I add in a few drops of essential oil when I use it, and I usually just rinse it out well when I go to refill it with water every night.  I've not had any problems with mold/fungus, but the eo may help deter this as well.
Mine does have the wide base, but I tend to use this in kids' rooms and would rather have an awkward time cleaning it than spills in bedrooms.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:34:30 PM »
We have a ReliOn. No complaints...nothing special. The element builds up mineral deposits.. It flakes off, but the whole thing comes apart and can be cleaned. Just don't try to scrape the residue of the element. That seems to ruin it. It works just fine with it on and it eventually flakes off.

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
Thanks Boysmama and Mrs B!  :)
I have read several reviews online about various vaporizers and nothing seems to stand out as what I'm looking for. So I guess as long as I can at least get my hand inside it to wash out the water base, it's ok. That old kaz one was just miserable. Vicks seems to have the market cornered around here, so I'll probably get one of those.

Mrs B, I have heard that it was not good to put the EO's right in the water, only in the little "medicine cup". It sounds like you are putting it in the water though, do you know if it's technically ok to do? Cause I would like to do that if I could...

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:17:49 AM »
Mrs B, I have heard that it was not good to put the EO's right in the water, only in the little "medicine cup". It sounds like you are putting it in the water though, do you know if it's technically ok to do? Cause I would like to do that if I could...
Yep, I put it right in the water.  I do generally use eucalyputus eo, and I know it is volatile and probably not the best to do this, but it is quick and easy, so it is what I do.  The oil is generally so strong that I add 1-3 drops at most....