Author Topic: Split Beans & Peas  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Wyandotte

• Wide Eyed
Split Beans & Peas
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
Hi. I saw elsewhere on this forum a discussion about the apparent unhealthfulness of the bran of grains because it induces mineral loss if you eat it.   My own thinking is that eating the whole grain - without the Nourishing Traditions advice to ferment or sprout the grain first - would be unhealthy if your diet is low in minerals in the first place; but if you are overloaded with calcium in the soft tissues, for example, then the bran (with its phytic acid) of the grains would have a positive medicinal effect to drain these mineral excesses.

Does anyone here know if the outside skin of beans also contains anti-nutrients?  I would think so, but I don't know where to find this info.  I shop at an India food store in a nearby city and they have a wide variety of "dahl", which means legumes with the outer skin removed, which also serves to split the pea or bean in half.  Since the subcontinental Asian culture is a very old one, I would suggest that they are on to something.

Can anyone please comment or advise?  I have tried soaking, then splitting, navy beans (in a hand cranked mill) and of course the cooking time is greatly reduced.  A good thing!