Author Topic: Can I change my metabolism?  (Read 6291 times)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Can I change my metabolism?
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
I have a really bad metabolism, and was wondering if I can change it? I don't just want to make it better, I want to change it! My DH has a really good metabolism and can eat whatever he wants and stay exactly the same weight. I was talking to my SIL the other day, and she mentioned that she used to have a bad metabolism before she got pregnant, but ever since she had her son, her metabolism has been just like DH's.

Is it possible through diet change and supplements to change my metabolism to where it should be?

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: Can I change my metabolism?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
Isn't chromium supposed to help with that?  I thnk cayanne is also.

Although no matter how you work to change your metabolism, if you eat horrible, you are stiill going to feel bad.  If you eat to get healthy, you are going to feel so much better and hopefully your metoblism won't be an issue.  I can totally relate to splurging once in awhile, but that shouldn't have much effect on weight.

Yeah, it was nice in college to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not have to worry about weight, but on the other hand, I am SO paying for it now.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »
I'll have to look up chromium....

I eat pretty good right now, just a little heavy on the carbs, (fresh ground whole wheat or spelt usually) and I could reduce my sugar intake.... ::)

I just wonder if it is even possible? Is a slow metabolism something were born with, or perhaps just more "genetically" inclined to have a slow metabolism?

Can I by good eating (like no sugar no carbs) and good exercise change my metabolism so that if I do, say take a vacation and end up eating mostly at restaurants, not gain several pounds just because I ate something I don't normally?

I have had a slow metabolism ever since I went through puberty, and I have noticed that in warmer climates, it seems like my metabolism speeds up a little. Especially when I was in Florida, I ate a lot of junk food, but at least one, usually two, of my meals a day were yogurt drinks because I was juggling work 8 hours a day, 4 hours of school at night, and courting with my (now) DH during the off times. :) Now that I live in Alaska.... :P I have gained 17 lb since marrying my DH nearly 3 years ago, and I have fought that weight a lot but to no avail. I know it would REALLY help a lot if I could just get some will power over my appetite!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
I believe I have changed mine with diet, exercise, supplements and detoxifying. I'll try to get back to this later when I have more time.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
I'd like to know more about a natural way to change metabolism too. I've been hearing of the HCG diet that, by taking the hormone (orally) and eating a strict diet, is supposed to reset your metabolism so you can maintain after reaching your desired weight... :-\

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »
Glad you brought this back up, lotsaboys. I read an excellent book over the holidays on this topic. Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Micheals.

I highly recommend reading it. The best that's come through my hands explaining the endocrine side of weight loss.
There is a little bit of low-fat diet carrying over from years fast. For example, I wouldn't recommend a recipe excluding egg yolks.   :P Other than that I don't remember anything I disagree with the author on.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:53:32 AM »
I just read that Omega 3 fish oil can raise the metabolism and promote fat loss.

Here  http://www.fishoilblog.com/benefits/omega-3-reduces-body-weight-and-increases-fat-loss-by-raising-metabolism.php

[A new study from the Journal of Nutrition on mice has shown a benefit of omega-3 for weight loss!

Two groups of mice were fed a high fat diet, and one group was given 8% fish oil while the other group did not receive the fish oil. The results? The fish oil fed mice gained significantly less weight and metabolized more fat! Specifically, they showed an increase in production of enzymes that metabolized fat.

The researchers wrote:
“These findings suggest that an up-regulation of intestinal lipid metabolism is associated with the anti-obesity effect of [fish oil].”

This isn’t the first time that omega-3 fatty acids have been found to be effective for weight loss, as another study found that fish oil and exercise led to fat loss.
/color]

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »
Cold temperatures result in a slower metabolism. Since Alaska is cold, and Florida isn't, that could be why your metabolism has slowed down.
Mine was sped up by doing crossfit(aerobic) exercises, and drinking ACV in water with my meals.
The only problem I had with that is when I had a meal that I couldn't drink my ACV, I had a stomach ache. It was like my body wasn't used to digesting without the vinegar. HTH!

Offline bboytim

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:07 PM »
The guy with the website 180degreehealth is all about changing metabolism - he says to eat more and exercise LESS..
I asked about this in a separate post - is it Biblical to overeat and be sedentary...?

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58:12 PM »
Doesn't sound Biblical to me! American's seem to eat way too much and not get enough activity already.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:47 AM »
Periodic feasting is Biblical as well as a regular day of rest and even years of rest.  ;)
Overeating is a very generic term. As we know there are mental/physical disorders where you can feel that you are overeating while emaciated and starving. You have to evaluate the situation to determine if gluttony, lack of control, or laziness is an issue.

The website you mentioned doesn't seem to advocate a long term lifestyle of overeating and sedentary living from a cursory glance. I won't take the time to check out the whole thing...not heard of that one site before, but his premise matches my experience.

I definitely needed to increase my calorie intake in order to allow my body to heal. It was shocking to realize how few calories I was taking in and amazing that eating more and getting more sleep helped me (eventually) lose weight. Having "counted" calories several years before switching to whole foods I was not accurately guess how many fewer calories were in similar sized portions of whole food, homemade products.