Author Topic: Bronchitis  (Read 22096 times)

Offline Grace

• Adept
Bronchitis
« on: September 29, 2006, 04:31:13 AM »
My husband has Asthma and Allergies. Every winter he gets bronchitis 2-3 times. He thinks he can feel it coming on now. Any ideas?? He takes a garlic vitamin and olive leaf extract vit. Also Grape seed extract and Fish oils. Besides this bronchitis he is a very healthy person. Never sick. And EXTREMELY energetic.....So what can I do to help him??????
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
Re: Bronchitis
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:00:51 AM »
This probably won't work now as it is more of a prevention issue, but I've always had issues with 'wind' diseases and the only thing I've found that guarantees me to be healthy through a winter is to cardiac exercise 3 or 4x a week.  after each time I hack like a smoker but it keeps the pnuemonia away!

-Heather

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »
Anybody?? Please!!!!! ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 07:33:18 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:32:39 AM »
My grandma has lung disease and a therapist told me that studies have proven that eating apples improve lung health.  I haven't seen the studies myself, but maybe you could look into it.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 04:45:53 AM »
Well here's my experience.

I first developed pneumonia when I was 7.  I then developed pneumonia or bronchitis at least once a year for 12 years.  Then it stopped.  When I was suffering, my Nana would give me a swig of honey and whiskey (mixed) right before bed so I wouldn't be hacking all night.  It helps the symptoms, but not the problem.  I believe the first problem was that I had a poor immune system and the second problem was that I had scar tissue on my lungs that made recurrences more likely. 

So I stopped getting sinus infections and bronchitis as soon as I moved to college.  I believe my allergies were due to us living on an unsealed crawl space in a 100  year old home.  Dust.  Possibly a little mold.  Certainly pet dander as we had a cat who lived under the house.  Anyway, honey and whiskey would still be my recommendation for a hacking cough, and I believe that tonic (the ACV, habanero, garlic, ginger, horseradish and onion drink) thwarts anything I seem to be developing.

And does anyone else seem to get dried out and croupy when you turn on the heat in your home or car?  My husband complains that I keep the place too cold, but the heat gives me a headache.  And if we run the heat without a humidifier or I don't get enough to drink when the heat is on, I can feel myself drying out, and then the sickness comes.  So make sure he gets enough water. 

Just my $.02.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:49:08 AM »
I believe my son has bronchitis and I am on the verge of giving him antibiotics but I don't want to wreck his immune system. It started with a cough. Then a runny nose. Then a hacky cough. He has been sick for more then a month now. He is so whinny I don't know what else to do! I have been rubbing goot and mentholated ointment on him. Giving him garlic/honey and echinacea and plenty of liquids. Anise seed tea (to break up the mucus) I tried an expec. but it didn't really help. I also have been running a vaporizer with eucalyptus oil in the water. He hasn't had a fever but his sister did. Last night she got up to 104.2!!! She also has a hacky cough that started this morning (probably due to the fan we had on her last night to cool her down) I am trying to make them sleep more but they don't really like it! My husband said his mom gave whisky. And I am going to try that, But I want them to get better! Is bronchitis one of those things that you are just better off giving antibiotics for??

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »
bump

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »
Is bronchitis one of those things that you are just better off giving antibiotics for??
My DH never takes antibiotics and his bronchitis is usually gone in about 2 weeks.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 06:03:08 PM »
what does he do for it? Does it ever turn into pneumonia?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »
Is bronchitis one of those things that you are just better off giving antibiotics for??

My DH has gotten bronchitis &/or walking pneumonia every year for over 20yrs :( & the best treatment by far that we have found is Super Strength Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice.;D We used it for the first time earlier this year when my DH had gotten so bad that you could hear the fluid in his lungs every time he coughed & he could barely breath. :( :( (I know it should have been treated earlier but he was being stubborn about it) We were so impressed with how well it worked that we have used it for every chest cold that anyone in the family has gotten since; & it has worked every time.;D Even DH is impressed by how well it works.;D ;D This is ess. oregano oil mixed w/olive oil. It comes in capsules & liquid. There are other brands of oregano that are cheaper but oregano is frequently miss identified &/or sub. w/cheaper oils that can be toxic. NAH&S oregano isn't toxic & has the medical research to back it up. The web site is: www.p-73.com. Check out books by Dr. Cass Ingram to find out more ways to use oreganol. The other thing to realize w/bronchitis & sinus infections is that they frequently are NOT bacteria but instead are fungus infections & antibiotics will not clear them up. The Mayo clinic on 9/9/99 stated that most chronic sinus infections are fungal not bacterial. Oreganal is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, & anti-viral so it will get to the root whatever is causing it.;D Just so you know, because the oil is taken under the tongue & absorbed through the mouth into the bloodsteam less is needed so it costs less to use than the caps but the oil is STRONG so you may have trouble getting it down a child & may have to use the caps. You may also be able to cut it w/more olive oil or add it to GOOT & put it on the feet & chest. The other thing to know is that it seems to get rid of the goop from the lungs through the kidneys & bowels so give lots of fluids & expect extra bathroom trips.:o Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:00:20 AM by herbalmom »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
Bump

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »
I have had issues similar to the ones mentioned here...bronchitis several times a winter and pneumonia at least once a year :(  for most of my life. I have taken way too many antibiotics :P :-X

It is now December and I have not had ONE bout... I am attributing this to getting all the fungal/candida problems in my body under control and engaging in a  thorough and systematic detox program. The "cleaner" my body gets the less mucus congestion I have and the less chance there is for bacterial infections to start up secondary to the congested lungs and sinuses. I also use garlic and herbal immune boosters the minute I feel a little "off" because I am determined to stay away from the doctor ;)
--The only other winter of my life that I remember NOT having bronchitis and pnuemonia was the winter after I was dealing w/ malaria and ameobic dysentery, etc. and in that process I did things that really detoxed my body (not that I knew enough to know that was what I was doing!!)--
I should mention also that I just got my amalgam fillings removed. The same day I had perfectly clear sinuses  :o !! They have stayed cleared out too!!!- Draw whatever conclusions you want to, but it is a consideration.- Getting them out has been a turning point in my health. ---I am so grateful to not be coughing and just thankful to feel WELL almost everyday.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 11:38:30 AM »
I would venture a guess that the diet is lacking in healthy fats as so many are.  I would recommend you read the following link for more info.  Boosting Your Immune System:  Avoiding Illness
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions! I wish I could afford to try that Super Strength Oreganol but WOW its high! :o  I havent given him antibiotics yet. I am still shoving garlic and colloidal silver down him. (My pastor gives me the silver because he makes it himself) Hopefully we will kick it soon! I need to leave the house!!  ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
I wish I could afford to try that Super Strength Oreganol but WOW its high! :o 

I know the price is high :o but we get it at Vitamin Cottage which sells at less than suggested retail so that helps a little. Compared to the $2000 ER bill :o we ended up with one time when DH was out of town on a business trip & it got so bad he could hardly breathe the price isn't so bad. The dose my DH takes is 6 drops under the tongue several X's a day so a 1 oz bottle isn't used up as fast as you might think. Besides DH hates hospitals & NEVER wants to be treated w/steroids again. He finds Oreganol so effective the he will ACTUALLY TAKE IT often enough to get over being sick instead of it dragging on for months w/out getting fully over it. Needless to say getting him to take enough of ANYTHING to get him well when he is sick is a challenge. ::) A good way to get garlic down is to use a garlic press on a bunch, mix w/honey & give it by the spoonful. Make a jar of it & KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE. My kids ask me to make this every time they're sick 'cause they know it helps & the honey ;D cuts the bite of the garlic. :o You might notice that the honey thins out after it sits awhile- this is normal- the honey pulls the juice out of the garlic just like sugar does w/strawberries. HTH Praying your DS is fully recovered soon.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »
I wish I could afford to try that Super Strength Oreganol but WOW its high! :o 

I know the price is high :o but we get it at Vitamin Cottage which sells at less than suggested retail so that helps a little. 

I use to work at the Vitamin Cottage in Boulder CO.!

A good way to get garlic down is to use a garlic press on a bunch, mix w/honey & give it by the spoonful. Make a jar of it & KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE.

I make this all the time.... but I don't put it in the fridge! OOPS! I keep it in an amber jar sitting on the counter. Why does it have to go in the fridge?
I have a hard time getting my kids to take it! Maybe I should add more honey. My 3 month old seems to be getting the lung infection now..... :(

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 10:27:18 AM »
I make this all the time.... but I don't put it in the fridge! OOPS! I keep it in an amber jar sitting on the counter. Why does it have to go in the fridge?
I have a hard time getting my kids to take it! Maybe I should add more honey. My 3 month old seems to be getting the lung infection now..... :(

As far as the fridge for garlic syrup, my reasoning for is this: both garlic & honey can contain botulism spores which grows where there is a lack of oxygen & warmth. Since the honey coats the garlic it cuts off oxygen so I keep it cold as a precaution. Maybe its not needed but I would rather err on the side of caution w/this one. This is also why garlic oil is supposed to be kept in the fridge. If your kids don't like the garlic syrup maybe they would take a syrup w/onion instead? It's made the same way, just strain the onions out after it sits for several hours. It is not as strong as garlic & will be thinner because onions have more juice but it is also milder tasting so maybe the kids will take more of it. I would also keep it in the fridge for the same reason since onions are low acid. If you can get it down them ginger (crystallized or sweet ginger tea maybe?) & cayenne help w/congestion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:45:05 AM by herbalmom »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »
I haven't had bronchitis in years until this last week.  We all developed some type of cold and I believe due to the fact that I'm taking antihistamines for another ailment, I developed bronchitis.  The first couple of days it was very painful and difficult to express mucous because the meds dried everything up.  I attempted to stop the meds, but was unable but did find some relief and thought I would mention what I did.

I found a recipe for lobelia tea.  I played with the amounts because there's not much on the internet about how much is too much, just warnings not to take too much lest you become nauseous and/or vomit  :o.

Anyway, I had very good luck with 3 cups of water, 1 tsp lobelia and 1 tsp peppermint.  After the tea was brewed, I added 1/2 tsp of honey and 1/2 ml of cayenne tincture to each full coffee cup (about 6-8 oz).  This made a hot tea with just a hint of a burn, but the results were good.  The pain in my chest subsided within minutes. 

I also began to realize that I wasn't drinking enough water, so I started watching my water intake and made sure I drank a big glass of water every time I went to the bathroom.  The extra moisture plus a few more cups of tea over a few days have made it possible for me to cough and expel mucous from my lungs.

I have been doing all the normal things all along to help me fight the virus (garlic, CLO, chlorophyll [for my swollen glands], eucalyptus, ginger baths for the kids & Immune 3 Booster).  This is one tough bug we are dealing with here.  We are surviving the symptoms well enough that they are mostly an annoyance rather than a hindrance.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 05:53:39 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
A bunch of our church  families as well as lots of people in surrounding counties all got the same symptoms. A sudden productive cough with aches (some had fever for a day) , developing into a nagging cough that feels like raining in the chest - drowning at night and that seems to have relapse and this has gone on for over three weeks now. We feel bad. It would be nice to shake this... I know this is a topic for a different thread, if anyone dares to research, but I have observed illness like this over and over again in years past, one week after seeing chemtrails sprayed in gridwork across our skies.  ???       
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
It's been 8 more days... the 5 yr old seems to be doing the best at recovering. My oldest son sounds ...miserable and though he worked all day today, he slept all day the day before. My Husband has now come down with the same symptoms. I have just had a full day of energy trying to "make hay while the sun is shining" but the strangest thing I have ever had has been happening to me. This cough is still mostly unproductive, but I'll get into a coughing spell and my airway will close off temporarily. I'll consciously throw my chin up and raise my arms to open up and BREATHE!! No fever, so that rules out epiglotitis? but what in the world?! I've tried to research it... News comes that more families in our town that we know but have not been around have had the same thing for two weeks. Is it brochitis, is it walking pneumonia or some other virus? Except for the sudden occasional coughing ordeals, I seem to be getting better taking ecinacea and golden seal and lobelia with other wellness tinctures.    
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 11:07:39 AM »
I've had good luck adding some ginger in when dealing with coughs.  Just though I would add that to the mix, hope you feel better soon  :-*.

-Heather

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »
I found some helpful links... perhaps they can shed a little light on the syptoms?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=13373.msg126441;topicseen#new
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
Hey there in Texas!

We here in Minnesota are part of a LARGE group of folks with what the MDs are saying is a "two week cough."  So far husband and 11 year old son have it, baby has snotty nose.  They feel mostly ok during the day, cough when exerting themselves, but horrible before bed and up in the morning.  They both sound like smokers!
We always have good results with raw apple cider vinegar taken in juice several times a day.  Seems to help with the mucus.  Of course the obvious avoid dairy and sugar thing helps. 
Some "non-natural" friends are going the antibiotic route, only to have their illness last the same amount of time as the non-drug route. 

Hope you're better soon!  Be glad it's not whooping cough!

Jill

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »
This is ess. oregano oil mixed w/olive oil. It comes in capsules & liquid. There are other brands of oregano that are cheaper but oregano is frequently miss identified &/or sub. w/cheaper oils that can be toxic. NAH&S oregano isn't toxic & has the medical research to back it up. The web site is: www.p-73.com.

I was just reading here and decided to look on www.vitacost.com for this product.  They sell the NAHS oreganol P73 for 41.99 (+4.99 shipping), compared to the 59.99 + tax you'd pay at the store.  Makes it a little easier to swallow  ;)
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 01:23:43 AM »
13 days later than the last post. I am still having coughing spells and have regained strength mostly, but I still feel very run down. I will be free of coughing for long periods of time, and then suddenly, a "raining" feeling in my upper chest brings on a coughing spell where taking in air is a challenge because the airway tends to feel as if it is closing off and I could almost cough too hard and vomit. So far, I have not lost it, but almost! I am aware that I am supressing the urge to cough most of the time, because if I cough, it can tend towards a hard coughing spell. The 5 yr old has recovered from all symptoms. The oldest son who has always had more allergies/ sinus seems to be just like me, only less severe. Now my husband has same symptoms for two weeks. None of us have had fever, only possibly slight at the onset of what seemed like a cold. It almost seems like mild cold symptoms continuous. I have been sick for over 6 weeks! I have read all of the links y'all sent as well as tried some research on my own. but I'm still stumped. ( We just don't go to the Dr unless something is pretty bad. ) What do you think? Was it whooping cough? Was it adenovirus- bronchiolitis? And why are we STILL coughing? Anyone have a clue?            
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 04:41:29 AM »
Sounds like it could be whooping cough (pertussis).
I just read the entire thread a few days ago. It lists a lot of symptoms.... sounds like yours!

Let us know!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
Re: Bronchitis/oregenol oil!!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »
Oh my!  Well, first my kids had bronchitis, and now I have it.  I just can't get rid of this cough, and now my sinuses are pretty blocked too.  I ordered the oregenol oil.  Well, I wasn't really careful, and just took the dropper and squeezed under my toungue!  It was sooooo bad I had to guzzle down milk!!

You really have to be careful with that stuff!  My dh said it smelled like diesel fuel.  :)

Anyway, how should it be taken?  I really want this cough to go away, it's dry all day, and my throat is still sore, and my sinuses are soo back, my top teeth hurt.  But, in the morning, I do cough up stuff.

Wendy

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Bronchitis/oregenol oil!!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 03:21:37 PM »
Oh my!  Well, first my kids had bronchitis, and now I have it.  I just can't get rid of this cough, and now my sinuses are pretty blocked too.  I ordered the oregenol oil.  Well, I wasn't really careful, and just took the dropper and squeezed under my toungue!  It was sooooo bad I had to guzzle down milk!!

You really have to be careful with that stuff!  My dh said it smelled like diesel fuel.  :)

Anyway, how should it be taken?  I really want this cough to go away, it's dry all day, and my throat is still sore, and my sinuses are soo back, my top teeth hurt.  But, in the morning, I do cough up stuff.

Wendy
You do have to be careful with oregano oil...
If you are sure that it is a good source of oregano oil that is suitable for ingestion, I would mix/dilute 4-7 drops with a tablespoon of olive oil and take it that way....   

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »
Yes, its from the place recommended from one of the posts

I will try it that way!