Author Topic: Dementia: Signs, symptoms and treatments  (Read 4430 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Dementia: Signs, symptoms and treatments
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
Hi all
I have a friend who told me that a dr visit told her she may have dimensia (sp?)

I also noticed this summer that she said that she puts a bit of alum in her pickled beans and cukes to keep them crunchy. Do you think that could have aided in this if it is true that she has it? I know that aluminum products are linked to Alzheimer's.
1. is Alum an aluminum product??
2. can it also cause dimensia

She is going to get a second opinion, She is on so many different meds for other things that that could be what is causing the symptoms too.
Does anyone have any info . that would help me help her?
Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Dementia: Signs, symptoms and treatments
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:51:57 PM »
Hi all
I have a friend who told me that a dr visit told her she may have dimensia (sp?)

I also noticed this summer that she said that she puts a bit of alum in her pickled beans and cukes to keep them crunchy. Do you think that could have aided in this if it is true that she has it? I know that aluminum products are linked to Alzheimer's.
1. is Alum an aluminum product??
2. can it also cause dimensia

She is going to get a second opinion, She is on so many different meds for other things that that could be what is causing the symptoms too.
Does anyone have any info . that would help me help her?
Sandra

Not sure about the alum being related to aluminum but I do know that drugs can cause serious brain deterioration and when taken off of them the brain goes back to normal mostly.  Also, I wonder how old she is?  The younger she is the more likely I'd think it was the drugs.  The older, it's probably being made worse by the drugs (especially blood pressure meds!).

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:06:57 AM »
From Wikipedia, alums are used in deodorants, styptic pencils (stops bleeding after shaving), manufacture of baking powders and as an adjuvent in some vaccines (HepA, HepB and DTaP). I also found that alum is also known as aluminum sulfate, which is used commercial in waste water treatment facilities for clarity of the water and for phosphate control.

Seems like alum contains aluminum in some form. I would steer clear of it.

Patti is right--the meds could be causing the harm, especially drug interactions. Also--meds tend to severely deplete the body of essential vitamins. One thing that comes to mind is that B-12 deficiency causes Alzheimer's-like dementia symptoms (source: http://www.communicationagents.com/chris/2003/06/11/vitamin_b12_drinking_water_fluoridation_and_alzheimers_dementia_ad.htm).

B-12 is also a precursor to other things in the body, like melatonin production. If you are low in B-12, your body may have a hard time producing enough melatonin--a sleep hormone. B-12 is very inexpensive, can be found in tablet or spray forms. Sublingual (under the tongue) is as effective as B-12 injections.

What is her age?
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:17 AM »
When I researched the natural crystal deoderants, I found that they are Alum salts from naturally occuring deposits.  The research that I read from the crystal deoderant companies said that Alum is too large of a particle to be absorbed into the skin/bloostream.  But I personally wouldn't be eating it...especially with symptoms like that.

But I would also look at the drug interactions more closely.  From what I've read, a good pharmacist is the first person you should talk to about drug interactions.  A pharmacist recieves much more training in the area of drugs/medication interactions that most doctors do.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »
Thank you all I will pass this on, if anyone gets anything else please post.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.