Author Topic: Ulcers  (Read 11562 times)

Offline sunflower

• Learning
Ulcers
« on: July 14, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
Can Tummy Tuneup help ulcers?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Ulcers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 09:18:08 PM »

Dedicated research by Australian doctors Barry Marshall and Robin Warren has now turned established practice on its head. They found a common bacterium called Helicobacter pylori nestling in the gut of a significant number of ulcer sufferers and dared to suggest that this bug could be the actual cause of ulcers. Similar work was carried out by a team at the Western Infirmary in Glasgow led by Dr Kenneth McColl. Helicobacter pylori, a new name for an old bug, is still sometimes known as Campylobacter pylori; It sets up home in the narrow space between stomach lining and the mucous covering that tries to protect the stomach wall from damage. Worryingly, it is now considered a more prolific bug than salmonella and is now classified a class-A carcinogenic, equal to asbestos and cigarettes.

A further concern is that, although more than 90 out of every 100 people with ulcers harbour Heliobacter, the bug also occurs in patients who never develop ulcers. But the possibility of the ulcer-causing infection being passed from one family member to another is so strong that screening programmes are being recommended to test and treat relatives before H pylori gets out of hand. It isn't a question of catching the bug and contracting an immediate ulcer. H. pylori can lurk in the gut for years, waiting until the "right" conditions prevail - such as other illness or lowered immunity.

Dr Marshall himself discovered that it can be beneficial to use acid-reducing drugs to relieve symptoms whilst the antibiotics go to work on the pylori perpetrator. Even patients who are not H pylori positive but have problems with over-acidity may benefit from a short course of antibiotic therapy and a few days on cimetidine (Tagmet), ranitidine (Zantec) or omeprazole (Losec), followed by a course of repopulating probiotic supplements. It is possible that they may have a low-level infection and/or small ulcers, which have not been spotted in routine tests.

Another possible cause of stomach upsets is lactose intolerance. This occurs when there is a deficiency of the lactase enzyme, needed to break down lactose, the natural sugar content of milk. The condition may be inherited (known as primary intolerance) or acquired, due to stomach surgery, infections or ageing. As we grow older, our bodies produce progressively less lactase. Those with coeliac disease, Crohn's disease, leaky gut syndrome or ulcerative colitis may find it difficult not only to deal with lactose but also to digest cow's milk protein. Allergic reactions to cow's milk seem increasingly common in young children, too.
When lactose is allowed to pass through the digestive system untouched by lactase, it's left to the Lactobaccillus bacteria to do the digesting. (The same kind of bacteria used outside the body to make yoghurt from milk.) Unfortunately, it's often the case that those with digestive troubles already have reduced levels of the friendly bacteria. The upshot is that any leftover lactose is likely to be leapt upon by not so friendly gas-forming bacteria who leave abdominal bloating, colic and diarrhoea in their wake. Many of these symptoms are similar to those of IBS. Where the production of lactase is limited but not lacking completely, the condition is sometimes referred to as lactose maldigestion.
...from

According to the previous article, YES.

I wouldn't recommend the antibiotics because probiotics have been proven to be very effective against H. Pylori and can help with lactose intolerance as well, the two causitive factors listed below.

Probiotics are defined as live, non-pathogenic microbial feed or food supplements that exert a positive influence on the host by altering the host's microbial balance. Probiotics seem to exert a direct antimicrobial effect, as shown by in vitro studies, through competition with H. pylori, inhibition of adherence and production of metabolites and antimicrobial molecules.

Implementation of probiotics with standard anti-H. pylori regimens can also improve patients' compliance with therapy, reducing the incidence of side-effects associated with antibiotic treatment...from
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysnme

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »
I have been suffering from stomach pain which almost seems like the same symptoms as ulcers. It only bothers me at the least once daily sometimes 3 to 4 times a day. I tried to pinpoint certain foods or vitamins but it did not seem to help omiting those things from my diet. I was wondering if tummy tune up would help.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:26:07 AM »
I did a search and don't think there is a thread on here dedicated to ulcers, so..... I have a friend who just told me she developed ulcers in high school and they still bother her. Any ideas what I could suggest to her???
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:05:34 AM by Grace »
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
Does anyone know a natural alternative to Pepto Bismol?  My mother just had gastric bypass surgery today, and she has to take PB twice a day for six months in order to "coat" the stomach and prevent ulcers.  That stuff cannot be good for you!!  Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 03:32:13 PM »
Does anyone know a natural alternative to Pepto Bismol?  My mother just had gastric bypass surgery today, and she has to take PB twice a day for six months in order to "coat" the stomach and prevent ulcers.  That stuff cannot be good for you!!  Anyone have any suggestions?

DG licorice root. It works for ulcers & the DG part prevents it from causing a rise in blood pressure. I suggested to a friend of mine that was on daily 'script meds & it worked for him. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »

DG licorice root.

Well, she cannot take anything solid(capsules would be out) for the first couple of days/weeks, so would tea be okay?  How much do you think?

Nickole

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
Here's what my Herbs for Health and Healing book by Kathi Keville says:

*Licorice, chamomile, cinnamon, marshmallow, slippery elm, calendula, and agrimony will lower stomach acid levels.   

*A daily tea of 20 Indian basil leaves was useful in preventing stress-realted ulcers and colitis, ina study done.  It is likely ordinary basil will work too.

*Japanese researchers found that ginger contains at least six anti-ulcer compounds!

*Licorice was noted even more in studies, but also said that it will sometimes increase high blood pressure.  Still, there are many good testimonies.

*Glutamine, called the anti-ulcer U Factor, is found in cabbage, but can also be taken in supplements.  (Drinking a cup of cabbage juice 4 times a day can heal stomach ulcers in only ten days, for those who already have them).

Hope this helps!

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
I JUST READ THAT HERBALMOM MENTIONED A LICORICE PRODUCT THAT WILL NOT RAISE BLOOD PRESSURE!  WONDERFUL!  MY BOOK MENTIONED THERE WAS SUCH A THING BUT THEY WEREN'T SPECIFIC.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »
Here's what my Herbs for Health and Healing book by Kathi Keville says:

*Japanese researchers found that ginger contains at least six anti-ulcer compounds!

Ginger would not be a good idea right after surgery- it is a blood thiner.

Licorice has some goo which helps coat. HiO, can she take a slurry- the powder mixed in water? DG licorice is not sweet & doesn't really taste like licorice. The DG refers to part that has been removed & it is the sweet part. Sorry I'm not explaining this better- most of my herb books are still packed & I have a little bit of mush brain right now. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline honeybee

• Adept
  • He refines my thorns and turns them into a rose
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 05:46:26 AM »
My symptoms are both similar to those of having an ulcer or a really bad reflux disorder.  Here is a list of my symptoms:

- suffering from heartburn almost constantly
 - acidic burping
 - constant hunger due to the fact that I can no longer keep any food down
due to the high levels of acid in my stomach working over-time.

I have tried to take Tummy Tune-Up, but it just comes back up with the food and I have tried taking ginger as that is all that I have on hand right now, but I believe the ginger has only made it worse!

My DH wants me to go and see a doctor tomorrow, which I must confess I am at the point of going myself.  Can anyone give me some advice as I am terribly hungry, but cannot keep food down due to the symptoms?

Thank you
Sara
Definition of Happiness:
God, My Husband, and My Children

Offline honeybee

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:49:31 AM »
bump
Definition of Happiness:

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 07:48:48 AM »
I was doing research on  various things last night, and I saw several things about ulcers.  I just searched on benefits of garlic, grapefruit seed extract, and aloe vera.  If H. pylori is the cause of the ulcer, garlic and grapefruit (even the fruit, not just the extract) should help.  Ginger should too, but every person's body is different, so it might not work for you..  Aloe vera juice might be really soothing to the irritated tissues.  I'm not super familiar with ulcers, I just kept seeing info about them as I searched.  One of my brothers has had lots of problems with them and other digestive problems,  Carlson's  Cod liver oil is the only thing that has made a significant difference for him.  I hope feel better soon! 

Offline honeybee

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »
Thank you for responding.

I have been reading quite alot about the H. Pylori as well and that is the one test that I am going to make sure the doctor does on Wednesday!

At this point my diagnoses of myself is only a guess as I have symptoms that are both similar to an ulcer and GERD.

Hopefully, come Wednesday I will have a better idea of what it is exactly and be able to work into a natural remedy more accurately!

Sara
Definition of Happiness:

Offline Question

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 12:51:57 PM »
 Saturday, Sept. 1 I started having pains in my stomach. I will feel fine and then I will have this achy, sometimes sort of sharp feeling, pain for 10 secs to 2min. On Saturday I had really bad diarrhea 2 times and on Monday my bowel movement was black. I have had Diarrhea a couple times since.Both rather unusual for me. I thought I was sick, but then I thought I was PG, but my period started today(9/11). I had really early symptoms with my other 2PG's, but it was all nausea and throwing up as far as I remember. This started 3-5 DPO.  If I stay sitting down I feel fine for the most part.  It has been 10 days now. When I eat it makes my stomach hurt. Even really healthy things like fried veggies.
The pain sort of  feels like contractions! My stomach doesn't feel tight, but it comes on, is painful and then goes away like a contraction. Also my low back started hurting like when I am in labour yesterday. My low back almost never hurts. Could this be an ulcer? Is there another threadwith more info on ulcers?

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »
My ds (4) has ulcer problems. When he was a baby he had a couple of them. We didn't find out that it was the cause of his pain until he was 12 months old. They were down his esophagus and in his stomach. His pediatric gastroenterologist gave us a powdered form of prilosec to put on all his food. 3 months later they were gone. However, now he constantly has them in his mouth. I wonder if this could be from this H. Pylori. If it can cause mouth sores and if maybe he has them in his stomach again. I also wondered if it was a missing vitamin or mineral that we needed to supplement. I don't know?!? I don't want to go back to see a doctor. We have moved and now don't have a good one that we trust. What are some things that we could do that are safe for a child? What kind of doses for these herbs? Can I just start trying these things and see if they help his mouth ulcers without knowing what all is really going on or would that be unsafe? Thank you in advance for your help.

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
BUMP: I need help for my little man, please.

Offline WarDawg

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »
I say eat alot of spicy foods.  They contain capsaicin which eliminate ulcers and kill H. pylori.  They are natural and just as efficient as any other medication.   

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 04:51:03 AM »
I give my 4 yr old dd Lysine and a pinch of cayenne prob 4 times a day when she gets them. It knocks them out very fast! I open the lysine capsules (or crush the tablets) - mix in a bit of water or juice with the cayenne and like I said -- they are gone fast! A bit of tea tree or oil of oregano on the ulcers will help them heal fast too.
Soon as they're gone, making sure he either drinks a lot of raw milk/ dairy - or a daily lysine supplement will prevent them from coming back. Lysine is naturally found in dairy products and most ulcers/cold sores are a Lysine deficiency.

good luck! poor little guy, I know how that hurts!

Oh, and you might want to avoid acidic foods until you have the problem under control as that always seems to make them WORSE!

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 07:21:14 AM »
Thank you. I will try the lysine and cayenne. Maybe I should just keep him on it because if we give him too much dairy he has blood in his stools. He cannot tolerate anything spicy or acidy since the ulcers are always in his mouth it burns to much. Thank you for your help. I have put him on Tummy Tuneup also. I just started breaking the capsule open and dumping it in his mouth twice a day. I hope that's okay, but I figure a probiotic isn't going to hurt.

Offline Laalex2

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »
Listen to Dr. Bob Marshall (healthline.cc) on the radio and call in and ask for advice.  He'll probably tell you the little person needs to eat 1 tsp. of good air dried sea salt a day so he'll start making adequate stomach acid so he can digest his food.  Antibiotics and vaccines destroy stomach acid, then food rots in the colon and causes lactic acid to come up into the stomach and esophagus and cause all kinds of problems.  I know....I had gut problems the past 18 years and feel so much better now since eating lots of sea salt on my food and taking HCL.

Love,
Lori

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »
Thank you. I will try the lysine and cayenne. Maybe I should just keep him on it because if we give him too much dairy he has blood in his stools. He cannot tolerate anything spicy or acidy since the ulcers are always in his mouth it burns to much. Thank you for your help. I have put him on Tummy Tuneup also. I just started breaking the capsule open and dumping it in his mouth twice a day. I hope that's okay, but I figure a probiotic isn't going to hurt.

We did this as well-- I just forgot to mention it earlier, but we definitely did a probiotic too!
Good Luck and keep us posted on his progress!

rikki

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 12:04:10 PM »
My ds (4) has ulcer problems. When he was a baby he had a couple of them. We didn't find out that it was the cause of his pain until he was 12 months old. They were down his esophagus and in his stomach. His pediatric gastroenterologist gave us a powdered form of prilosec to put on all his food. 3 months later they were gone. However, now he constantly has them in his mouth. I wonder if this could be from this H. Pylori. If it can cause mouth sores and if maybe he has them in his stomach again. I also wondered if it was a missing vitamin or mineral that we needed to supplement. I don't know?!? I don't want to go back to see a doctor. We have moved and now don't have a good one that we trust. What are some things that we could do that are safe for a child? What kind of doses for these herbs? Can I just start trying these things and see if they help his mouth ulcers without knowing what all is really going on or would that be unsafe? Thank you in advance for your help.

This thread is more related to GI ulcers.  Here are a couple of threads that might be better suited to answer your questions.

Helicobacter Pylori
Canker Sores, Mouth Ulcers & Fever Blisters
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
Thank you for responding.

I have been reading quite alot about the H. Pylori as well and that is the one test that I am going to make sure the doctor does on Wednesday!

At this point my diagnoses of myself is only a guess as I have symptoms that are both similar to an ulcer and GERD.

Hopefully, come Wednesday I will have a better idea of what it is exactly and be able to work into a natural remedy more accurately!

Sara

I know this post is from a while ago, but I was wondering how you were doing? Did you ever find a solution for your problem? I was wondering if maybe you had a hiatal (sp) hernia. Chiropractors can adjust your diaphragm which can knock out the problem completely.
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »
I have been taking DG licorice tablets(by enzymatic therapy) for a couple weeks, now.  I also take a special stomach formula of Aloe Vera juice.  It contains marshmallow, peppermint, borage leaf, slippery elm, Pau D'arco, fennel, etc.  It tastes like barf, but it works.  ;D
I have not had ulcer related pain since I have been taking these two supplements.