Author Topic: Pumpkin Recipes  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
Pumpkin Recipes
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
We're gluten free--any recipes for like pumpkin pie filling but more like a pudding?   ???
We are too.  I saw you got a great help from Herbalmom, but I wanted to share this with you too.  It has become our favorite. ;D  (I copied it off the net, but don't have the url handy.)

Pumpkin Pie Baked in the Pumpkin
Submitted by: BobinFla sailaser @ bellsouth . net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Serves 8
This dish was a favorite of George Washington. While it was called a pie in the old days, it’s certainly not what we call a pie now. Here the custard pie is found inside the pumpkin and the whole thing is to be served up with a bit of anticipation for a very different pumpkin desert.

Ingredients:
• 1  Pumpkin, 5-7 pounds 
• 6  Whole Eggs 
• 1  pt Whipping Cream 
• ½  Cup Brown Sugar 
• 1  Tbs Molasses 
• ½  tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg 
• 1  tsp Cinnamon 
• ¼  tsp Ginger 
• 2  Tbs Butter 

Preparation Directions:
• Cut the lid off the pumpkin just as you would for a Jack-O’-Lantern.
• Remove the seeds and save for toasting later.
• Mix the remaining ingredients together with the exception of the butter. Fill the pumpkin with this mixture and top with the butter.
• Cover with the pumpkin lid and place in a baking pan.

Cooking Directions:
• Bake at 350° for 1-1½ hours, or until has set like a custard.
• Serve from the pumpkin at your table, scraping some of the meat from the pumpkin with each serving.
• This is an interesting substitution for the usual pumpkin pie.

Special Instructions:
• BOB’s Notes:
• For the Q-Fest, I couldn’t find any 5-7 pound pumpkins, only 3-4 pounders, or 15 pounds and up.
• I finally found the 12 pound pumpkin that I brought.
• I knew 4 pounds wouldn’t be enough, and not knowing what would be cooking when, I didn’t know how much grill space would be available to cook 3 small pumpkins.
• I forgot to bring nutmeg, so I substituted Allspice, and probably added more than ½ teaspoon.
• Larger pumpkins cost much less per pound than the smaller “baking” pumpkins.
• Be sure to double the recipe if you get a larger pumpkin.
• I used double everything for the 12 # pumpkin.
• If there is any left, I, personally think the pie is better after refrigeration
• Don't quite fill the pumpkin, the custard expands and drips into the pan.

Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Pumpkin Recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
Bumping for pumpkin season!   :D

We're gluten free--any recipes for like pumpkin pie filling but more like a pudding?   ???
I'm pretty sure you can bake it without the shell just like you would a normal custard.  I think you're supposed to put your custard dishes in a baking pan half full of water to bake.  Other than that, everything else is the same (I think).   ;D

I googled and there are several recipes all over the web for pumpkin custards - yummy.  Make me some too, while you're at it.  ;D 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:25:36 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Pumpkin Recipes
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 03:10:12 AM »
Tis the season for all things pumpkin!  If your looking for great pumpkin recipes, check out this book I found at my local library:
http://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Super-Food-Months-Year/dp/1580175945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256043550&sr=8-1

Offline floydian

• Master
Pumpkin Recipes
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:12 AM »
Tis the season for all things pumpkin!  If your looking for great pumpkin recipes, check out this book I found at my local library:
http://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Super-Food-Months-Year/dp/1580175945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256043550&sr=8-1

Does this have the recipe for Pumkin Preserves in it.  I've always wanted to taste it since Anne loved it when she first went to Windy Poplars.  I know she hated it later because she got too much of it.  But to begin with she liked it.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
Re: Pumpkin Recipes
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:19:04 AM »

Does this have the recipe for Pumkin Preserves in it. 

No preserves, but contains a recipe for Pumpkin Chutney.  I think pumpkin preserves would be like pumpkin butter, no? 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
PUMPKIN RICE PUDDING
5 cups milk
1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
1/3 cup raisins(or dried sweetened cranberries)

1.)  Put milk, rice, pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla in a heavy bottomed pot. Heat to just boiling. Turn heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 45-50 min., until rice is tender and the pudding is thick, but still soupy. (Add raisins or cranberries during the last 10 min. of cooking)
2.) Beat the egg with a fork in a small bowl. Add some rice mixture to egg. Stir the egg/rice mixture into the pot and cook for an additional 1-2 min. more.
3.)  Add lemon zest.
4.)  Remove from heat and chill thoroughly(or eat warm, like I do)

*My arborio did not absorb all the liquid on low.  Last 10 min. I had to turn the heat to med/high and bring to a small boil. Then, I simmered stirring frequently for 10 min. until it thickened.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
What's arborio rice?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
What's arborio rice?

Expensive rice! lol  It's Italian.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 05:43:06 AM »
What's arborio rice?

It's special rice that used for Risotto & similar dishes b/c it gets creamy when it's cooked with frequent stirring like the pudding recipe is.

I think they have local grown versions now that might be cheaper than Italian versions.   

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 05:59:45 AM »
What's arborio rice?

Expensive rice! lol  It's Italian.

If you want to try the recipe, and can't find or get arborio rice, try substituting jasmine or basmati, and reduce the milk to four cups. That might work. Although I think the arborio is worth it!