Author Topic: Info on Elisa 96 test  (Read 42781 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Info on Elisa 96 test
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »

I didn't think about the red winevinegar connection!  And what do you mean by maxed out for wheat and gluten?  

thanks for the link, i only have 3 weeks left and with so many foods and esp. carbs bothering me, i don't think it's for me right now.  maybe i will try it nursing at a later date. 

what i meant by maxed out, was that it was at the very end of the 1, but not over the line.  sorry, i am kind of in the same boat as far as overwhelmed-ness, so i am not much help, but i will tell you i have been living out of an iron skillet for 2 meals a day, just frying up whatever veggies and meat (precooked) i have that are non-allergens (breakfast and lunch).  i use olive oil and a few dried herbs.  boring, but filling, and nutritious.  i've been trying to low carb for those 2 meals, because of yeast issues.  at dinner i will have some precooked rice or millet with whatever meat they are having and a salad. sometimes lunch is a salad with meat too.  i use my homemade dressing recipe (posted in the HM dressing thread) having taken out all the allergens.  i replaced the red wine vin. with white. and raw garlic w/ powder, and left out the worchestershire sauce.  hope maybe this gives you something to go on!  press on!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
4myhoonie, mine may look worse but if you can't even eat your 1's then yikes!  Besides pregnancy, do you think you  might have some gut issues that are contributing to food allergies?  I'm wondering if we do.  I would be lost without my health food stores and food co-op.  I count my blessing all the time living on the west coast where there's so much variety in that regard.  Have you ever looked at Vita Costs foods selection?  I found them when looking for foods for my mom for her eat right for your blood type diet.  There are no really good hfs there in her part of Mississippi and like you said what there is is expensive. Anyways, they are very well priced and vita cost has free shipping over a reasonable amount and they have tons of gluten free stuff...pasta, snack bars, etc.  Here's a link... http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=brown%20rice  
I didn't think about the red winevinegar connection!  And what do you mean by maxed out for wheat and gluten?  I need recipes too, but first I need to figure out what I can eat!  I just realized a few more things and hoping you gals can help!

First of some things are almost a 1 and on the line, should I avoid those too? Only once a week as well or is more okay?

Second...here's a few I figured wrong yesterday and am not sure about.

DS:

Lettuce- 1, mid (this is crazy!)
white onion- 1, mid (sooo limiting!)
pepper, green bell- almost a 1
sweet potato- just a 1
white potato- 1, mid-high
spinach- one the 0/1 line
zucchini- on the 1 line as well
buckwheat- nearing 1
lentil- one the 1 line
green pea- nearing 1
sesame- 1, low-mid
rice- 1, mid-high (help!)

So it's looking that night shades are out? but what am I gonna do w/out sweet potatoes?! Yams only or should I avoid those too?  And zuchini and spinach!  What else is there, lol.  Sesame seeds are out too?  Okay and so one thing I'm really concerned about is the brown rice.  That is soo limiting! especially since buckwheat, green peas, and lentils may be out. Last but not least...what about onion?  What could I season with without garlic or onion?  I need help! I'm feeling really overwhelmed and the major problem is just not knowing what we should/shouldn't eat every day, once a week, or not at all.  Also, ds fine for walnuts (about a third away from the 1 line) but is that okay since pecans, almonds and peanuts are high?

I also tested ON the 1 line for yeast (baker) so should I count that as a once a week allergy?

Okay, I'm sooo sorry to ask so many questions!  I would greatly appreciate input.

Forget the 1's unless you can pinpoint actual symtoms.  As for the brown rice, no more then twice a week.  So you'll have to be careful because if you buy GF stuff ready made most of it has both brown rice flour and potato flour in them.  Essentially, you need to cook from scratch.  I'll get to working on those recipes.... ::)

ALL allergies are caused by gut issues.   ;)  So, yep, there's gut issues going on. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »
Okay, Patti, I'm not trying to be difficult, but  ;D  I'm confused. :-[   So I'm forgetting the 1s, but the brown rice is a 1 (although a high 1).  Do you mean forget the 1's as in we can have them everyday (unless symptoms are noted).  But the brown rice is a high 1 so rotate that.   :-[ :-[ :-[   As an aside, I made the most discusting dinner tonight.  :P  I could use some recipes.  :D  I want to get the superallergygirl cook book, but that probably assumes you can eat rice!  Which we all can, just not Gil.

Just so we're clear...

1's who cares unless a reaction okay to eat everyday (except gluten like oats, rye, and barley)

2-3's rotate to consume no more than once a week (except gluten and eggs)

4-6 avoid (including night shades)

Sound okay?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:56:47 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
Okay, Patti, I'm not trying to be difficult, but  ;D  I'm confused. :-[   So I'm forgetting the 1s, but the brown rice is a 1 (although a high 1).  Do you mean forget the 1's as in we can have them everyday (unless symptoms are noted).  But the brown rice is a high 1 so rotate that.   :-[ :-[ :-[   As an aside, I made the most discusting dinner tonight.  :P  I could use some recipes.  :D  I want to get the superallergygirl cook book, but that probably assumes you can eat rice!  Which we all can, just not Gil.

Just so we're clear...

1's who cares unless a reaction okay to eat everyday (except gluten like oats, rye, and barley)

Sound okay?

I found the sample report on the usbiotek site!  I realized there's a few other things I need to pick up from the ND after reading it like the handy little wallet card that says what to avoid and what to rotate.  I also need to get that food family book...

http://www.usbiotek.com/Resources_Sample-Reports.php
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:56:35 PM by mommyjen »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
Just so we're clear...

Sound okay?

Jen, I'm sorry.  I'm exhausted and not feeling well on top of it and when I saw "high" I "assume" a 4-6; not a 1.  Brown rice is fine.  Use brown rice but do use caution and know that if you use it too much it will become a bigger allergy.  Aside from brown rice flour, we only eat rice once a week so it's easy for me.  Any flour in a recipe is spread through the whole recipe so it's not like you're getting two cups of flour in one shot.  You're getting like, 3 tbls or something like that.  So, brown rice is fine just don't over do it.  Yes, your list above is exactly correct.  That superallergygirl cookbook would help you a lot because she avoids all major allergens.  When's your birthday?  Ask hubby.   ;D

I'm sorry for the confusion.  I'm now going to take my not feeling so well body to bed "early" for me.   :P

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2010, 06:40:57 AM »
That superallergygirl cookbook would help you a lot because she avoids all major allergens.  When's your birthday?  Ask hubby.   ;D

Well if I keep turning out these terrible egg/dairy/gluten meals, I may get it sooner.  ;)  ;D Thank you sooo much for your help figuring out the ELISA.  I think I understand our allergy/rotation foods now and am gonna type up a chart for the fridge.  I hope you're feeling better this morning!  :-*  

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 04:39:25 PM »
Is it possible to do the Elisa test and not have it show ANY sensitivities?  Can a person be COMPLETELY free of allergy?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
Is that wishful thinking or your results  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, don't have an answer for you but couldn't resist asking if it was wishful thinking! I would have liked those results on mine.........

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
Is it possible to do the Elisa test and not have it show ANY sensitivities?  Can a person be COMPLETELY free of allergy?

Yes.  I looked at one for a lady today.  Her son only had allergies to 3 or 4 foods and everything else was totally clean.  The three or four he was allergic to were 1's and 2's (except the dairy).  His was the best looking ELISA I've seen.  Oh, I do know one other person that had it done and had no allergies even though he clearly reacts to gluten (may be a celiac issue though).  Soooooo, it can happen.  Now I'm curious.  Why do you ask?   ;D

If one suspects they have allergies and then test negative for any, I would begin looking at digestion/absorption issues first then hormone/glandular issues, then move on to adrenal issues.  Those three things pretty much cover all that ails the body.   

patti

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »

Is it possible to do the Elisa test and not have it show ANY sensitivities?  Can a person be COMPLETELY free of allergy?

Yes.  I looked at one for a lady today.  Her son only had allergies to 3 or 4 foods and everything else was totally clean.  The three or four he was allergic to were 1's and 2's (except the dairy).  His was the best looking ELISA I've seen.  Oh, I do know one other person that had it done and had no allergies even though he clearly reacts to gluten (may be a celiac issue though).  Soooooo, it can happen.  Now I'm curious.  Why do you ask?   ;D

If one suspects they have allergies and then test negative for any, I would begin looking at digestion/absorption issues first then hormone/glandular issues, then move on to adrenal issues.  Those three things pretty much cover all that ails the body.  

patti

I showed NO sensitivities.  I actually wonder if the doctor ran the test correctly.  I don't necessarily think that I "should" show any allergies, but I wasn't certain that absolutely no allergy showing was possible.  The doctor did say that he doesn't see such a thing very often.  I had the test done about 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:30:17 AM by crystal »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »

Is it possible to do the Elisa test and not have it show ANY sensitivities?  Can a person be COMPLETELY free of allergy?

Yes.  I looked at one for a lady today.  Her son only had allergies to 3 or 4 foods and everything else was totally clean.  The three or four he was allergic to were 1's and 2's (except the dairy).  His was the best looking ELISA I've seen.  Oh, I do know one other person that had it done and had no allergies even though he clearly reacts to gluten (may be a celiac issue though).  Soooooo, it can happen.  Now I'm curious.  Why do you ask?   ;D

If one suspects they have allergies and then test negative for any, I would begin looking at digestion/absorption issues first then hormone/glandular issues, then move on to adrenal issues.  Those three things pretty much cover all that ails the body.  

patti

I showed NO sensitivities.  I actually wonder if the doctor ran the test correctly.  I don't necessarily think that I "should" show any allergies, but I wasn't certain that absolutely no allergy showing was possible.  The doctor did say that he doesn't see such a thing very often.  I had the test done about 10 years ago.

It's been a long time since you had that test.  Lots could have changed health wise (babies, etc).  This test has gotten more sensitive over the years.  If you're having health issues that you aren't finding solutions for, I would recommend doing the test now and only through US BioTek.  I heard there were other labs doing it but I wouldn't trust them.  I like that US BioTek only does certain tests.   The more you do of something, the better you get at it. 

patti

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
So, in order to take this test, I have to have a doc sign the req form and order the test.  Then, when the test comes to his office, I have to go back and have them draw blood, send in the test and wait for the results?  Is there any way to have a doc sign the form and have the stuff sent to my house, draw the blood myself and send in for results?  Only the IgA test (DBS card) is necessary, yes? 

Anyone had any luck getting a GP sign for this?

Patti, one of these days I hope to get our whole family to Dr. Dramov.  He sounds great!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »
So, in order to take this test, I have to have a doc sign the req form and order the test.  Then, when the test comes to his office, I have to go back and have them draw blood, send in the test and wait for the results?  Is there any way to have a doc sign the form and have the stuff sent to my house, draw the blood myself and send in for results?  Only the IgA test (DBS card) is necessary, yes? 

Anyone had any luck getting a GP sign for this?

Patti, one of these days I hope to get our whole family to Dr. Dramov.  He sounds great!

Your doctor can sign the req. form and draw the blood (given he knows what to draw and understands where to send it to) on the same day.  I have found my doctor's office does not do this.  Usually they send me straight to a lab that does know how to do it and the lab sends it to US BioTek with the req. form.  If you go this route, it's important to make sure payment information is provided otherwise it will just sit at US BioTek.

The other method is to have your doctor's office order the fingerprick kit and call you when they get it.  Have him sign the req. and do the test at the same time.  Results will go back to him but I have found that my doctor is willing to just leave the results at the front desk and let me pick them up with no appt. since they don't know how to read it anyway. 

Dramov requires an appt. to get the test results back because of State of Oregon laws that don't allow him to give the info over the phone or through the mail without covering it with the patient first. 

US BioTek will not mail a kit directly to a patient.  The doctor must order it. 

patti

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
do the prick test and the vial test cost the same?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:57 PM »
do the prick test and the vial test cost the same?

Yup.  As far as US BioTek is concerned they charge the same.  Whether or not your doctor would charge the same depends on him (drawing blood vs. finger prick).  If he's willing to order the finger prick test and just have you pick it up with the signed req. form, that would be the cheapest way to get it done, I think.  Then you could do the test at home and mail it in.  Have him call when he gets the results and pick them up at the front desk.  No appts. needed (if they agree, of course!).   ;D 

patti

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
Got my Elisa back.  I registered the following:

All dairy (except mozzarella at a high 1) is in the 3 range, with yogurt being the highest (almost a 4)

Eggs, white and yolk, are almost 4

Sugar cane is a 1

Pineapple is a low 2

Oysters are almost a 2

Spelt is mid 2, with whole wheat being a high 1, And wheat gliadin and gluten both being a 1 (Is this a sign of a rising wheat allergy?)

Almonds are a 1

I am shocked by the milk and egg allergy.  I honestly would not have thought this was a possibility for me.  I show NO signs of allergies , that I know of.  Maybe I will lose weight if I remove dairy?  The only reason I took the test was for curiousity sake.  We pursued it for my hubby's problems.  We will get his results tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:40:46 PM by crystal »

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
Hubby's test results are back.  He is EXTREMELY allergic to dairy, in all forms.  He is EXTREMELY allergic to almonds, filberts, egg yolks.  He is moderately allergic to wheat, in all forms, citrus, egg whites, pecans and sunflower.

We have some adjusting to do.  Hubby has an AWESOME attitude!  He is so easy.  The kids, however.... :-\

Where do I start?  What are the best books, sites, etc....?  Patti?   :)

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »
Crystal, did you and dh do the delayed or the immediate reaction tests?

Patti, are both tests still available as finger pricks?

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:02 PM »
DHW, I know I'm not Patti, but I can still tell you that the IgE testing is no longer available w/ the finger prick test, only the IgG.  It is something that has apparently changed in the last half year or so, b/c when I had my kids tested back in Dec. using the finger prick, they would not run the IgE test on it, and said that one can only be done w/ the blood draw/blood serum test.  On the requisition form they have on their website, the only option for the IgE is the blood draw (it also tests IgG reaction, of course, when you do the blood draw).  HTH!
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
That's what I thought, too.  Any comments on how valuable only the IgG would be without the IgE?

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
When I talked to the lady at Dr. Dramov's office (I have a phone apt. set up for my son) she said that he typically just does the IgG testing anyways.  That's what I had done for my three kids, though for myself I had the blood serum test done.  I came back IgG reactive to all dairy in varying degrees, from moderate to very high, but had no IgE response to anything.  Our insurance was paying for it, so I figured for myself I might as well go ahead and have both done.  It sure was nice for my young kids though to just have the finger prick, as that seems a lot less traumatic to a child than the needle in the arm, though in reality the little bit of pain from it is about the same for either one.  The IgG reactions are typically going to be the ones that are harder to pinpoint on their own, simply b/c of the possibility of the reaction being delayed up to 3 days (from my understanding).  For us, the IgG told me that my oldest dd, 5, has a very high reaction to eggs, though I never would have guessed/known it, and high to very high for spelt, wheat, gluten, etc.  I expected her to be allergic to dairy, but in fact she wasn't, except very low for whey, and neither were my other two, though that is really the only main one for myself!  Anyways, there were some other random things that I know now to make sure we don't overdo it on those things, so all around it was very helpful to have the IgG results.  I would like to get them retested at the end of the year, and have thought about going ahead and doing the blood serum test just to make sure there's no IgE reaction to anything.  When I initially had this testing done, I thought that I was going to be able to have both results from the finger stick, but USBiotek had already made the change.  If you can do both, I say go ahead and do it, that way you know that you have everything covered and can make sure you have all allergens removed from your diet during the time that you're working on repairing damage done to the gut.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2010, 06:48:35 AM »
I just got my daughter tested and interestingly she came up with the exact same allergens as Armywife's daughter AND I am pretty sure that I have a dairy allergy as well.   One question: I am planning to try duck eggs for our daughter.   Has anyone had any experience of these working/not working after testing allergic to chicken eggs?   

Now, I am hoping to get myself and dh tested - though am almost afraid to.  Our lives have already been pretty rocked by dd's test results.   

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
All replies related to using duck eggs as an alternative moved here.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,27461.0.html

modited topic

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
Could anyone with experience taking the ELISA test multiple times tell me if you have gotten consistent results?  Do the same allergies turn up every time?  What made you get retested?  Did you do anything between tests that seemed to make a difference?  Did GAPS or food elimination diets seem to affect the subsequent tests?  Is there any anecdotal proof that these special diets allow your body to heal and alter your bodies reaction to these allergens? 

I'm really doubting what doctors (even naturopaths) have told me about the cause of allergies.  I think much more research is needed about what is causing allergies, what triggers the onset, etc.  I'm hoping to glean some understanding from some real life examples with scientific evidence to back them up...hence, the request for info. from those who've taken multiple blood tests.  I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's willing to share their experience  :)

Thanks,
Amy 

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2010, 11:25:08 AM »
We had my 4 yo dd tested almost 6 months ago and she came up with wheat/gluten and egg allergies and then some sort of bizarre ones to common vegetables these thankfully aren't very high.   SO, we cut out eggs and gluten/wheat.   About a month ago, my husband saw his doctor for a regular physical and mentioned the test.   My husband came home very convinced that this type of allergy test ( IgG)  is not necessarily accurate, not believed by allergists to be very reliable or indicative of real allergies - because of the type of antibodies it tests for.   I didn't really know how to respond.   A little background:  our daughter really didn't have any symptoms.  She has never had a rash, unusual diarrhea, hives - nothing outward.   I think that she has been more "even-keeled" since we have eliminated gluten but it isn't super significant.   My husband wants more proof - if we are going to go to the trouble of sticking to a special diet.   In the small amount of internet research we have done, the ELISA IgG test is indeed viewed somewhat skeptically be the medical establishment - but then many of the things discussed here are :)  .   Any ideas, suggestions?   THANK YOU!

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
I'll reply to my own question :)  but I would still appreciate any input that others might have.  I inquired with US Biotek and they promptly responded with links to their own website - I guess I didn't search around enough.  I will include these links, I read one of the articles and already it has cleared up some questions.   Because it was becoming an issue between my husband and I, I relented for the time being and allowed dd to eat wheat and gluten again.  We'll have her retested soon so perhaps it will make the test more accurate...?
I understand your concerns. I know that in the medical community many doctors don’t believe in this type of testing.  Naturopaths and other alternative doctors are more likely to choose IgG tests for their patients.  Although a doctor would indeed be best to speak to, I can refer you to some information on our website that may help.

Reading to describe the relevance of IgG testing:
http://www.usbiotek.com/Resources_Improvements%20in%20Diagnostic%20Testing%20for%20Food%20Allergies.php
http://www.usbiotek.com/Downloads/information/clinicalRelevance.pdf
http://www.usbiotek.com/Downloads/information/criticalReview.pdf

Testimonials & case studies:
http://www.usbiotek.com/Resources_Testimonials.php
http://www.usbiotek.com/resources_case_studies.php

This article is a recent study regarding the reproducibility of our test results:
http://www.usbiotek.com/news_swedish_analysis.php