Author Topic: Info on Elisa 96 test  (Read 42575 times)

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
Re: Info on Elisa 96 test
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
Does this look legit? $299. for the usbiotek ELISA 96.

https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx?&catid=77&language=en-US&tabid=55

They also have some GENOVA stool tests available...

https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx?&catid=84&language=en-US&tabid=55
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:30:54 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
OK Patti... I called the ND this am and told her we needed to get the ELISA done before the end of the year due to inurance deductibles and such starting in the new year. 

They were able to get us in on the 30th... (but that's with me having to have my initial workup appointment at the same time...)

I don't think she actually uses the ELISA testing much but she's in practice with another Dr. that does, so hopefully we'll get the discounted price.  She came in and took over the pediatric and womens issues part of his practice.   She prefers to do elimination diet and then if things seem confusing to do the carroll testing to check for food combination issues.  So she is pushing to get that done when we can.  Unfortunately, after the new year we have to spend a whole bunch in medical expenses before insurance starts picking it up.

At least insurance is paying about 90% of everything at this point due to the fact that we've had so much medical costs this year...  :-\

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »
D&L,

I am going to really discourage you from doing the Caroll testing.  I read through the website and basically, it's NOT going to tell you anything different then the ELISA test and Genova Stool test.  And both those tests (the ELISA and stool) will cover bacterias, digestion, etc. whereas the Caroll test will not.  So I guess if it were me, I wouldn't waste my money on it because you'd eventually need the Genova stool test to determine digestion and bacterias which is just more money.  Are you strong enough to put your foot down and say "no?"  Interestingly, my ND trained at Bastyr University that was started by one of the doctors referred to on the Caroll website (Dr. Bastyr). 

Just my opinion - which is probably not worth much.   ;)

patti

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
I could certainly put my foot down and say no, if I determine it is unnecessary.  I actually haven't had the opportunity to research the Genova stool test or the Carroll testing yet... so we will see. 

From what the ND said, sometimes people react to a combination of foods... so you may not react to grains alone, and you may not react to berries alone, but combine the two (strawberries and cake) and you have a reaction...  I dunno what I think of all that just yet, so we will see.  She said she usually just does the Carroll testing when the results from the elimination diet are confusing... most of our results on the elimination diet have been pretty clear.  I'm still kinda questioning corn and fish.  We don't seem to get a strong reaction to either immediately...  but a maybe a slight reaction several days later.  So then you question if some other things may have been involved.  This may actually be a case of combining the fish and the corn, I dunno.  I sure like cornbread and salmon together.

But honestly, your opinion carries weight with me at the moment in regard to the allergy and food sensitivities stuff...  you have had some very valuable insight for me and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 03:17:25 AM »
Somehow the lab wasn't able to process our tests, so we have to retest in a few days.  Has this happened to anyone?  Dr. said it was no one's fault, but it just doesn't make any sense. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »
Somehow the lab wasn't able to process our tests, so we have to retest in a few days.  Has this happened to anyone?  Dr. said it was no one's fault, but it just doesn't make any sense.  

MJ,

Did you guys pay USBioTek for this test immediately?  They will not test the blood and will hold it if it is not paid for ahead of time.  When we have ours done I always call them after I know they got it (I give them 2-3 days) and verify that they have my credit card info and the test got paid for.  Otherwise, they'll just hold the blood until it's no good and then toss it.  Is it possible this is what happened?  How are you guys paying for the test?  If it's by check, you have to send it WITH the blood.  If it's CC make sure that portion of the req. is filled out.  If it's insurance make sure your insurance is going to cover it.  With insurance what they'll do is call the insurance company to verify coverage and if they say "no" USBioTek will toss the test.  

The only time I've had them hold the test was the first time because of confusion over payment.  After that, I call every time to make sure.

Other thought, were the blood spots done correctly?  All five of them needed to be filled in.  I thought you mentioned you did 4.  Regardless of what the paper says or your ND says, fill in all 5 blood spots.   If they couldn't process the test because of not enough blood it means the blood spots were not completely filled in.  The circles must be full and you can't have touched the spot with your finger.  Hold your finger down so the blood drips onto the spot.   I'd say, "just trust me on this" but you have no reason to (you don't know me).  So, I'll just say having done ten of these tests I've learned a few things.   ;)

My guess is your ND messed up doing the test itself.  Sorry you have to retest.  I woudl recommend YOU call USBioTek and do not leave this up to your ND.  Find out EXACTLY why they couldn't test it. 

patti
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:21:40 AM by mykidsmom »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 04:30:54 AM »
MJ,

Did you guys pay USBioTek for this test immediately?  They will not test the blood and will hold it if it is not paid for ahead of time.  When we have ours done I always call them after I know they got it (I give them 2-3 days) and verify that they have my credit card info and the test got paid for.  Otherwise, they'll just hold the blood until it's no good and then toss it.  Is it possible this is what happened?  How are you guys paying for the test?  If it's by check, you have to send it WITH the blood.  If it's CC make sure that portion of the req. is filled out.  If it's insurance make sure your insurance is going to cover it.  With insurance what they'll do is call the insurance company to verify coverage and if they say "no" USBioTek will toss the test.  

The only time I've had them hold the test was the first time because of confusion over payment.  After that, I call every time to make sure.

Other thought, were the blood spots done correctly?  All five of them needed to be filled in.  I thought you mentioned you did 4.  Regardless of what the paper says or your ND says, fill in all 5 blood spots.   If they couldn't process the test because of not enough blood it means the blood spots were not completely filled in.  The circles must be full and you can't have touched the spot with your finger.  Hold your finger down so the blood drips onto the spot.   I'd say, "just trust me on this" but you have no reason to (you don't know me).  So, I'll just say having done ten of these tests I've learned a few things.   ;)

My guess is your ND messed up doing the test itself.  Sorry you have to retest.  I woudl recommend YOU call USBioTek and do not leave this up to your ND.  Find out EXACTLY why they couldn't test it.  

patti

I didn't know I could call them directly about this.  I paid the doctor for the Dr.s visit and test at the the same time and I think I paid by debit card.  You know I was just going off my memory (scary ::)) about how many circles there were but all of them were used.  I can't remember if my doctor had our fingers press on the circles or just let the blood drop? I'll have to pay attention this time to make sure they are filled in all the way too and call after.  Thanks Patti.  :-*

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
MJ,

Other thought, were the blood spots done correctly?  All five of them needed to be filled in.  I thought you mentioned you did 4.  Regardless of what the paper says or your ND says, fill in all 5 blood spots.   If they couldn't process the test because of not enough blood it means the blood spots were not completely filled in.  The circles must be full and you can't have touched the spot with your finger.  Hold your finger down so the blood drips onto the spot.   I'd say, "just trust me on this" but you have no reason to (you don't know me).  So, I'll just say having done ten of these tests I've learned a few things.   ;)

My guess is your ND messed up doing the test itself.  Sorry you have to retest.  I woudl recommend YOU call USBioTek and do not leave this up to your ND.  Find out EXACTLY why they couldn't test it.  

patti

I didn't know I could call them directly about this.  I paid the doctor for the Dr.s visit and test at the the same time and I think I paid by debit card.  You know I was just going off my memory (scary ::)) about how many circles there were but all of them were used.  I can't remember if my doctor had our fingers press on the circles or just let the blood drop? I'll have to pay attention this time to make sure they are filled in all the way too and call after.  Thanks Patti.  :-*

If you paid your doctor then it was up to your doctor to pay for the test.  If she didn't then that's why they didn't run it.  We always had to send a note attached to the requisition telling them to charge our card (even though the info was on the req. form we still did this).  I have a feeling it was the ND that screwed this one up.   :-\

patti

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »
You were right Patti, Doctor's error.  At least he fessed up when I retested.  :)  I guess soaking the card though in a spot is more important filling the circle in?  That's what he concluded after speaking with usbiotek about it.  He said he done hundreds and this was the first ever returned.  He did not fill the circles in all the way so I hope he knows what he's talking about.  :-\ 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »
  He did not fill the circles in all the way so I hope he knows what he's talking about.  :-\ 

UGH!  Are you serious?   :o  Can I talk to this guy?  No wait, I might not be very nice if I did.   :(  Well, I hope this one doesn't come back either.  If it does, take the kit home and do it yourself!   :D

patti

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 07:36:51 AM »
Patti - I have been reading about this for a while now on this site.  I was talking to my husband about having us tested, but there is 7 of us - so that would be expensive.  He said that he wouldn't mind having the worst people tested (which would be our 2 and 3 year old).  But I was wondering - do you find that allergies that you and your husband test positive for your kids automatically have?  Would it maybe work to have my husband and I tested and whatever we are allergic to (if we are), just eliminate those things from everyone's diets?  Or does it not work that way. 

We have never had allergy testing for anything before.  My husband, though has eczema that flares up every now and then, my 2 year old has broken out with hives twice now in the last month, and my 3 year old always has dry skin - to the point that it is painful and inflamed looking sometimes.  I have three other kids, too.  Not too many things I can think of with them that would make me think that they necessarily have allergies, though.  Actually, I take that back - my 6 year old gets what I think is eczema on her hand pretty badly - but it is just every now and then (maybe twice a year). 

Thanks for any input!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »
I'm thinking it would be better to test you and your husband.  Anything you guys are allergic to, yes, you could just interpret right down the line for everyone else.  My thinking is that you guys are older, your allergies are going to be much more damaging to your bodies at this age.  If you test the little ones, they might not test allergic to something that you guys are allergic to.  Since food allergies create more issues as life goes on it makes sense to get you two tested.  Basically, any of the "normal" food allergies that you two have, your kids will have.  ie.  gluten, dairy, eggs, nightshades, etc.  There may be some oddball ones like garlic, etc. that you're allergic to that the kids may be fine with simply because they haven't had enough of it at their age. 

As a side note - every case of eczema I've run across in a person has been caused by a gluten allergy.  I have no idea why.  Kind of like a dairy allergy tends to cause excess mucous or runny noses.  So I'm going to guess that will be high on the list of allergies for you all.   

If you have some oddball ones I can go over those with you to let you know which ones will likely end as allergies in your children if you keep using them (believe it or not, garlic is a big one). 

hth

patti

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
As a side note - every case of eczema I've run across in a person has been caused by a gluten allergy.  I have no idea why.  Kind of like a dairy allergy tends to cause excess mucous or runny noses.  So I'm going to guess that will be high on the list of allergies for you all.   
patti

Patti, my sister's son and daughter have eczema, and I've told her that it's linked to allergies (but I wasn't sure which one...Thanks!)  She is confused as to why it's seasonal...I didn't know the answer to that either.  Their diet doesn't change that much seasonally.  Any ideas?

Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »
patti

Patti, my sister's son and daughter have eczema, and I've told her that it's linked to allergies (but I wasn't sure which one...Thanks!)  She is confused as to why it's seasonal...I didn't know the answer to that either.  Their diet doesn't change that much seasonally.  Any ideas?

Gwen

The only thing that comes to mind is I bet their diet does change *some* with the seasons (most of us eat less grains and more fresh fruit during the summer, etc).  It may be there is enough of a change that their exposure is less during one season then another.  OR, I'm completely wrong and it's not just gluten.    ::)  I'm sure there must be cases out there caused by other food allergies.  Since I'm only one person and I've only seen about 20 cases personally, it's probably not a big enough statistical sample to be definitive.   ;D   Although I'm 20 for 20 so far, does that count?   :D  However, I would be curious what happens if she removes gluten and treats the eczema if it stays away.   ;)

The only other allergy that *could* be attributed to eczema might be dairy.  It is definately possible that it depends on the person. 

Probably didn't help much.  But I'll keep keeping track of my statistical samples and see if there's any changes in my line of thought in the future.   ;D

patti

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
Patti, their eczema flares around the Spring and Fall, when their seasonal allergies flare up.  Maybe it's just a case of the body being under more stress due to the pollen/seasonal allergies, and the food allergies get worse during those times?

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
Patti, their eczema flares around the Spring and Fall, when their seasonal allergies flare up.  Maybe it's just a case of the body being under more stress due to the pollen/seasonal allergies, and the food allergies get worse during those times?

Okay, makes much more sense now.  Yes, you are correct.  The food allergies are probably somewhere between a 3 and 4 (on a 7 scale) and when the seasonal allergies hit their bodies go berserk.  When a food allergy hits a 5 there are almost always ongoing physical signs.  My guess is as the years go and the food allergies get worse she will see year round symptoms.  There is no way of judging at what point their bodies will tip, but eventually they would. 

Would still say it's gluten.  However, it's rare to be allergic to only one food (it does happen - just not common).  If they're allergic to one, they're likely allergic to dairy also.  Those two seem to go hand in hand.  I think not because there is any relation so much as when a person's immune system is attacking one food it is more likely to attack others also. 

patti

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
I'm thinking it would be better to test you and your husband.  Anything you guys are allergic to, yes, you could just interpret right down the line for everyone else.  My thinking is that you guys are older, your allergies are going to be much more damaging to your bodies at this age.  If you test the little ones, they might not test allergic to something that you guys are allergic to.  Since food allergies create more issues as life goes on it makes sense to get you two tested.  Basically, any of the "normal" food allergies that you two have, your kids will have.  ie.  gluten, dairy, eggs, nightshades, etc.  There may be some oddball ones like garlic, etc. that you're allergic to that the kids may be fine with simply because they haven't had enough of it at their age. 

If you have some oddball ones I can go over those with you to let you know which ones will likely end as allergies in your children if you keep using them (believe it or not, garlic is a big one). 

hth

patti

Thanks for the reply.  Oh - I hope we don't have gluten allergies.  I don't know if I have time for that.  ;)  I will say that the dry skin and eczema do tend to run with seasonal allergies here, too.  Very interesting.  I'm going to find out if there is a doctor around here that already does the test regularly.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »
So the results came back on Mahrian's celiac panel.  The ND said that it came back negative for celiac but that the IgA was only a .06... And that because of that number she isn't confident that the celiac results are fully accurate.

Now I don't have the other numbers yet, and I wasn't able to go over all of this at the time she called to get to where I could fully understand what that means and why.   

Can any of you tell me in layman's terms what the .06 IgA means? In terms of allergies and immune system and digestion... what am I looking at? 

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
IgA stands for immunoglobulin A, one of the classes of immunoglobulins (also called antibodies) that are in the blood. IgA is important in protecting 'mucosal surfaces' - the linings of the tracts of the body, e.g. the lungs, and is secreted in saliva and tears. It protects against infections of the mucous membranes lining the mouth, airways, and digestive tract.

Please note that it is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure.  Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms: if you treat yourself for the wrong illness or a specific symptom of a complex disease, you may delay legitimate treatment of a serious underlying problem.  In other words, the greatest danger in self-treatment may be self-diagnosis. If you do not know what you really have, you can not treat it!

Knowing how difficult it is to weed out misinformation and piece together countless facts in order to see the "big picture", we now provide simple online access to The Analystâ„¢.  Used by doctors and patients alike, The Analystâ„¢ is a computerized diagnostic tool that sits on a vast accumulation of knowledge and research.  By combining thousands of connections between signs, symptoms, risk factors, conditions and treatments, The Analystâ„¢ will help to build an accurate picture of your current health status, the risks you are running and courses of action (including appropriate lab testing) that should be considered.  Full information is available here.

Causes & Development
Low levels of IgA occur in some types of leukemia, kidney damage (nephrotic syndrome), a problem with the intestines (enteropathy), and a rare inherited disease that affects muscle coordination (ataxia-telangiectasia). Some people are born with low or absent levels of IgA antibodies, which increases their chances of developing an autoimmune disease.

Diagnosis & TestsThe 'low', 'normal' and 'high' ranges vary with age, and are also lab-specific. However, a reasonable normal range is 80-350mg/dl.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C286147.html

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
. The most common illnesses associated with IgA deficiency are recurrent sinopulmonary infections, including sinusitis, otitis media, pharyngitis, bronchitis, and bronchopneumonia. Gastrointestinal tract disorders may also be associated with selective IgA deficiency, including a 10-fold increased risk of celiac disease, pernicious anemia, milk intolerance, malabsorption syndrome, and mucosal infections due to acute diarrhea caused by bacteria, viruses, or Giardia lamblia.[6]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/507233_3

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:11 AM »
So the results came back on Mahrian's celiac panel.  The ND said that it came back negative for celiac but that the IgA was only a .06... And that because of that number she isn't confident that the celiac results are fully accurate.

Now I don't have the other numbers yet, and I wasn't able to go over all of this at the time she called to get to where I could fully understand what that means and why.   

Can any of you tell me in layman's terms what the .06 IgA means? In terms of allergies and immune system and digestion... what am I looking at? 

I'm not sure I can give you a complete picture but I can give you a partial picture.  IgA is an immune modulator.  If someone has a low IgA (I have a friend who has a husband and dd with this) it makes them extremely susceptible to illness.  As your other posting stated, it effects muscosal linings in particular.  So it would make one more likely to have celiac and I would continue to persue that direction because it's important to rule that out or to conclude she does have it.  It would also mean someone could be more affected by food allergies because their body is not able to modulate what is being put into it as well as leaky gut would be more likely because the integrity of the intestines is compromised by the IgA factor.  It might mistake a food protein as a viral bug and attack it. 

The only thing I've seen with IgA is that a very tightly held diet in terms of keeping allergens out, helps the immune system be healthier (what we've seen here in that area is amazing) and thus IgA factors have less opportunity to confuse viruses/bacterias for food proteins.  In other words, do everything you can to NOT confuse the body.  When the body is being bombarded with bugs that are running around and food allergies then the IgA factors will flip out a little.  This is where you can start to see autoimmune diseases.  The body doesn't know what to attack so it attacks everything.  So modulating the immune system using external factors (ie diet) is a "safe" and "natural" way to try and keep this issue in check. 

I've never seen it be life threatening.  I've only seen it cause more colds, flus, etc. because of the mucosal lining issue. 

Not sure if this helps at all and it's a very rudimentary explanation because explaining IgA is somewhat like trying to nail jello to a wall.   ;D

patti

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
 :)  Thank you Patti. 

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
Wow, all I can say is WOW. Fatigue, muscle weakness and pain, insomnia, headaches, inflammation, sinus and ear pressure/pain, poor attension span and thinking is SO much effort and sooo much more = MAJOR food allergies. I'm so happy I could cry to find out answers to life long heatlh issues. Okay, I'm going to cry no...w and then figure out what in the world I'm gonna eat. :P No nuts, dairy, eggs, or wheat and a few others for Gil and I.  Be back.  Patti I could  :-* you!!

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
Okay, Patti, whatch'ya thinking?  :P  The numbers are 0-6. 

0-no reaction
1-very low
2- low
3-moderate
4-high
5-very high
6-extremely high

Me:

Almonds-high 2
kidney bean- 1
lima bean- 1
soy bean- 1
Wheat Gliadin- 3, high
Wheat Gluten- 3, high
Oat- 1, mid
Peanut- 4
Rye-1, mid
Spelt- 4
Wheat- 3, high

Dairy- all are high 4 or low 5 with goats milk being a high 3

Honey- 1
Sugar Cane- 3, low

Oyster- 3, low

Egg white- 4, high
egg yolk- 5, mid

DS:

Dairy- 5 and 6's with whey at 2

Egg white- 3, mid
egg yolk- 3, mid

Sugar cane- 1, low

Oyster- 1, high

Cranberry- 1, high
Grapes, red- 1, high
grapefruit- 1, high
orange- 1, high
peach- 1, low

almonds- 2, high
barley- 3, high
kidney bean- 1, high
lima bean- 3, low
pinto bean- 1, high
soy- 3, mid
Gliadin, wheat- 5
gluten, wheat- 5
peanut- 5
pecan- 2, low
rice- 1, high
rye- 5, low
spelt- 5, high
whole wheat- 5

asparagus- 2, mid
garlic- 2, low
mushroom- 2, low
Tomato- 2, low-mid
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:32:06 PM by mommyjen »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »
Okay, Patti, whatch'ya thinking?  :P  The numbers are 0-6.  

0-no reaction
1-very low
2- low
3-moderate
4-high
5-very high
6-extremely high

Me:

Almonds-high 2
kidney bean- 1
lima bean- 1
soy bean- 1
Wheat Gliadin- 3, high
Wheat Gluten- 3, high
Oat- 1, mid
Peanut- 4
Rye-1, mid
Spelt- 4
Wheat- 3, high

Dairy- all are high 4 or low 5 with goats milk being a high 3

Honey- 1
Sugar Cane- 3, low

Oyster- 3, low

Egg white- 4, high
egg yolk- 5, mid

DS:

Dairy- 5 and 6's with whey at 2

Egg white- 3, mid
egg yolk- 3, mid

Sugar cane- 1, low

Oyster- 1, high

Cranberry- 1, high
Grapes, red- 1, high
grapefruit- 1, high
orange- 1, high

peach- 1, low

almonds- 2, high
barley- 3, high
kidney bean- 1, high
lima bean- 3, low
pinto bean- 1, high
soy- 3, mid
Gliadin, wheat- 5
gluten, wheat- 5
peanut- 5
pecan- 2, low
rice- 1, high
rye- 5, low
spelt- 5, high
whole wheat- 5

asparagus- 2, mid
garlic- 2, low
mushroom- 2, low
Tomato- 2, low-mid

I'm mostly wondering about these.  ND let us just pick them up, since paying for a consultation was not really feasible right now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:54:01 PM by mommyjen »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
Thanks, Jen.  I love looking at other people's tests.   ::)  I must preface this with I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  Okay, now that you can't sue me I'll continue.   :D ;D

These are my recommendations based solely on my experience of different levels of allergies in my family and in working with others.  You MUST listen to your body.  I know someone that literally can't tolerate even their allergy 1 or 2 foods.  Yet, in my house the 1's and 2's are okay for most of us on a rotating basis.  But not my son.  So, again, listen to your body.  If you eat an low allergy and notice extra pain, bodily inflammation, etc. then pull it out.  But here's my recommendations with that caveat.

DO NOT HAVE

Gluten (which will naturally eliminate your lower allergy grains)
peanuts
all dairy but butter if you can handle it
all eggs and egg products

Anything that is a 1, 2 or 3 you should be able to rotate on a once a week basis with no problem.  Honest to goodness, Jen, this test doesn't look horrible.  I realize the thought of being GF/DF/EF sounds difficult, but I would give anything to ONLY  have those allergies.   :D  And other then the dairy, they're not that bad either.  But I think it's causing you a lot of inflammation internally and that's coming out in your pain, etc.

I REALLY want to tell you to avoid nightshades even though that tomato was pretty low.  The reason why is because nightshades are notorious for inflammation and I think while you're trying to heal something really painful that it would be good to avoid those just for 3 months or so why your body settles out and gets rid of the dairy, gluten and egg proteins.  If you can stand to get rid of tomatoes and potatoes for 3 months, Dr. Patti would like you to.   ;D   ;)

So, remove those things from everyone's diet.  Those lower allergy numbers will actually go away with removing the big ones and adding a good digestive enzyme.  You should see all of those 1's, 2's and 3's on your husband go by the wayside with these changes.  

The "goal" is to rotate your foods so you don't get something more then once a week (they say every four days but that doesn't work either).  I'll be honest with you.  This is almost impossible.  For us, what we have for dinner we have leftover for lunch the next day.  So what I would say is, anything that is a 2 or 3 absolutely only have once a week.  Period.  Everything else you should be fine with.  

When I first started out I took a large sheet of paper with the days of the week on it.  Under each meal for each day I put what we would eat.  I did my best to stick to it.  It didn't work for long but it got me started for about two weeks.  After that, I got the hang of it.  Also, the longer I've gone I've learned about new foods like quinoa and millet grains which have added to my ability to have variety.   What you will find is that your diet will essentially be meat, fruits and veggies.  You'll lose some weight being GF.  My hub lost 15lbs (didn't need to!!!) and I lost about 5 (figures  ::)  ).  

I guess I'd better be getting my GF recipes up on fb, huh?  I've told several people I would and I just haven't had time.  Pray God will give me a few extra hours for that project.   ;)

Praying that you see significant improvements.  I would also recommend you do some GENTLE cleansing teas during the first month to help remove toxin build up in your body.  

Keep us posted.

patti

p.s.  If it makes you feel any better, my husband was a 5 or 6 on everything but 3 berries.  And my poor DS was a 6 on EVERYTHING.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:25:09 AM by mykidsmom »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
Printing this out.  Thank you, thank you.  I am happy to take night shades out...anything to be well again and better safe than sorry.  I really like the menu idea, hubby is not big on variety so that will be very doable and helpful here. Got lots of mulling over the test and planning to do.  I have lots of questions about what causes, contributes to allergies and healing from them, but right not I just need to figure out what I'm gonna feed my family. I'm pulling everyone off eggs, gluten, and dairy (hubby will drink dairy till an allergy test proves otherwise) until I can get them tested cause from what I've learned from you they are likely allergic to them too (ds allergy test basically mimics mine!).  I would love to have your recipes...if and when you have time!  Until then, I've got lots of WTM recipe threads to read.  :-*  Thanks again!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:02 AM »
wow, mommyjen, your test makes mine look easy!  i only have to avoid these things & i don't have anything that is more than 1/2 way through the 2 column:

dairy (all except goat milkl)--2
eggs--2
mushrooms--2
wheat--1 (maxed out)
wheat gluten--1 (maxed out)
cranberries--2
asparagus--1
potatoes--1
tomatoes--1
radishes--1
soy--1
red grapes (no red wine vinegar, etc.)--1
crab--1
lobster--1
halibut--1
tuna--1
spelt--1
almond--1
amaranth--1

i haven't been able to tolerate even one bite of any of these things.  most of the #1's are just barely into the 1 column.  i have been avoiding all grains like oats, even though they didn't show up, cuz they "may" be contaminated with gluten.  also, beans and fruits give me gas, so am not eating those either.  so i am also looking very forward to having some actual recipes to use, i don't have much access to specialty foods, and they are so expensive at our groc. store here, i am just doing without them.  i did buy some GF sam's club crackers, but they have amaranth & potato starch in them and aren't that great anyway.  i have been living out of an iron skillet, just stir frying some meat, veggies, & sometimes a GF grain for breakfast and lunch and eating a really boring dinner of salad and meat.  everything is really boring without any condiments.  but that's life right now!  i am wondering if any of this is going to get better right away after the birth. 

sorry, i wasn't much help, he didn't give me any info on what we could do after.  he had me taking Kyolic garlic right now, but it was making me burp so much i quit.  not sure if i should have continued.  will be watching this thread!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 09:48:40 AM »
4myhoonie, mine may look worse but if you can't even eat your 1's then yikes!  Besides pregnancy, do you think you  might have some gut issues that are contributing to food allergies?  I'm wondering if we do.  I would be lost without my health food stores and food co-op.  I count my blessing all the time living on the west coast where there's so much variety in that regard.  Have you ever looked at Vita Costs foods selection?  I found them when looking for foods for my mom for her eat right for your blood type diet.  There are no really good hfs there in her part of Mississippi and like you said what there is is expensive. Anyways, they are very well priced and vita cost has free shipping over a reasonable amount and they have tons of gluten free stuff...pasta, snack bars, etc.  Here's a link... http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=brown%20rice  
I didn't think about the red winevinegar connection!  And what do you mean by maxed out for wheat and gluten?  I need recipes too, but first I need to figure out what I can eat!  I just realized a few more things and hoping you gals can help!

First of some things are almost a 1 and on the line, should I avoid those too? Only once a week as well or is more okay?

Second...here's a few I figured wrong yesterday and am not sure about.

DS:

Lettuce- 1, mid (this is crazy!)
white onion- 1, mid (sooo limiting!)
pepper, green bell- almost a 1
sweet potato- just a 1
white potato- 1, mid-high
spinach- one the 0/1 line
zucchini- on the 1 line as well
buckwheat- nearing 1
lentil- one the 1 line
green pea- nearing 1
sesame- 1, low-mid
rice- 1, mid-high (help!)

So it's looking that night shades are out? but what am I gonna do w/out sweet potatoes?! Yams only or should I avoid those too?  And zuchini and spinach!  What else is there, lol.  Sesame seeds are out too?  Okay and so one thing I'm really concerned about is the brown rice.  That is soo limiting! especially since buckwheat, green peas, and lentils may be out. Last but not least...what about onion?  What could I season with without garlic or onion?  I need help! I'm feeling really overwhelmed and the major problem is just not knowing what we should/shouldn't eat every day, once a week, or not at all.  Also, ds fine for walnuts (about a third away from the 1 line) but is that okay since pecans, almonds and peanuts are high?

I also tested ON the 1 line for yeast (baker) so should I count that as a once a week allergy?

Okay, I'm sooo sorry to ask so many questions!  I would greatly appreciate input.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:22:00 PM by mommyjen »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »
4myhoonie, here's a really great looking sprouted rice protein powder.  I don't tend to go for such processed food, but when I'm pregnant I tend to not get enough calories/protein if I don't do splurge and do a little.  It would make a great snack in between meals blended with bananas and flax seed or whatever.  It's a 30 day supply at two drinks a day (16 grams protein each) or a 60 day supply at one a day for only $13.76!  That's a great deal! Just an idea.  This is gonna take some transitioning!

http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Brown-Rice-Protein-Powder/pd_section-pr#ProductReviews
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:02:20 PM by mommyjen »