Author Topic: Info on Elisa 96 test  (Read 42574 times)

Offline srkfan1

• Learning
Info on Elisa 96 test
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:00:40 AM »
Hi. Patti told me to get information on the Elisa 96 test for my 2 year old and I spoke to his allergist, as he is now having some asthma/breathing issues and has been put on a nebulizer. He is very sick. While we don't like having him on these meds, we feel like we have no choice for this "intense" sickness period. The allergist said he would do the test if I brought the information on it and I've read that the info is in the GAP thread and can only be done by a Seattle lab, but after searching I can't find the info. Can anybody give me the exact link to the info or tell me what the lab's name is, website address is, etc.? We go back to the allergist today but I can't find what I need.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Info on Elisa 96 test
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:09:58 AM »
Hi. Patti told me to get information on the Elisa 96 test for my 2 year old and I spoke to his allergist, as he is now having some asthma/breathing issues and has been put on a nebulizer. He is very sick. While we don't like having him on these meds, we feel like we have no choice for this "intense" sickness period. The allergist said he would do the test if I brought the information on it and I've read that the info is in the GAP thread and can only be done by a Seattle lab, but after searching I can't find the info. Can anybody give me the exact link to the info or tell me what the lab's name is, website address is, etc.? We go back to the allergist today but I can't find what I need.

Here's the link to the requisition form.  Fill this out, have your ND sign it, provide payment information and mail the req. form with the blood samples to the address on the top in Seattle, WA. 

http://www.usbiotek.com/Downloads/req_forms/Interac_requisition.pdf

hth

god bless,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:29:54 AM »
Yay, getting my Elisa 96 done (along with my son!) on Monday.  I have a question though. There is a certain time frame that you need to have eaten an allergen BEFORE the test or else it will give a false negative.  Does anyone know the time frame?  Hubby wants ds and I to eat a bit of everything on the E96 tests for beforehand.   ;D  At one point, we were at a Dr. visit for ds to get allergy testing (he gets hives and has had loose/watery stools since he began solids...he is now 3 :'( :-[) and the dr. informed of the false negative thing and hubby said no to the test then and there.  What a waste of time for us.  

*eta, here is the E96 list of foods that we will be tested for (they have a couple options I believe, but this is what we're doing)

http://www.usbiotek.com/96-General-Foods.php
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:40:01 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:09 AM »
Yay, getting my Elisa 96 done (along with my son!) on Monday.  I have a question though. There is a certain time frame that you need to have eaten an allergen BEFORE the test or else it will give a false negative.  Does anyone know the time frame?  Hubby wants ds and I to eat a bit of everything on the E96 tests for beforehand.   ;D  At one point, we were at a Dr. visit for ds to get allergy testing (he gets hives and has had loose/watery stools since he began solids...he is now 3 :'( :-[) and the dr. informed of the false negative thing and hubby said no to the test then and there.  What a waste of time for us.  

*eta, here is the E96 list of foods that we will be tested for (they have a couple options I believe, but this is what we're doing)

I forgot...did anyone add the optional 15 foods to get tested for?  Would that be a good idea for us? What about cost?  Thanks!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:15:54 AM »

I forgot...did anyone add the optional 15 foods to get tested for?  Would that be a good idea for us? What about cost?  Thanks!

Are you talking about the Asian foods?  Unless you eat a lot of asian I wouldn't bother with it.  I would recommend you get the celiac panel just to eliminate another possibility of issues. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
Are you talking about the Asian foods?  Unless you eat a lot of asian I wouldn't bother with it.  I would recommend you get the celiac panel just to eliminate another possibility of issues.  

patti

Patti, it's the vegetarian add on that tests for brown rice among other things.  Here it is: http://www.usbiotek.com/15-added-Vegetarian-Foods.php
It says on the usbiotek site that you can add these 15 foods to the E96.
I was wondering about the celiac for my son.  I'll have to look into that...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:46:50 AM by mommyjen »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
I found out that you must have consumed the food within three weeks before the blood draw or you run the risk of a false negative. 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
I found out that you must have consumed the food within three weeks before the blood draw or you run the risk of a false negative. 

wow, i wonder if that's true, cuz most of my allergens i had NOT eaten in 3 weeks before i did the test just recently.  i hope that's not the case!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
wow, i wonder if that's true, cuz most of my allergens i had NOT eaten in 3 weeks before i did the test just recently.  i hope that's not the case!

4myhoonie, oh dear, that's what my ND told me and I verified online. Hopefully, it's not ALWAYS the case!  :(   ???

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »
wow, i wonder if that's true, cuz most of my allergens i had NOT eaten in 3 weeks before i did the test just recently.  i hope that's not the case!

4myhoonie, oh dear, that's what my ND told me and I verified online. Hopefully, it's not ALWAYS the case!  :(   ???

MJ,

This can't be accurate or all of my family would now have tested allergen free and we'd be dancing a jig!  We still test out as totally allergic to gluten, eggs and dairy and we haven't had that stuff in a year   (excluding thanksgiving).  For sure we haven't had chicken eggs in a year.  We have done 8 ELISA tests in the past year and this has not proved true any of those times.  

Don't worry 4myhoonie.  You're fine.  I would say it's inexperience on the part of the ND that stated that more then anything.  And never trust what a website states on stuff like this.  It's a webmaster that creates it.  Not the lab boss.   ;)

patti
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:58:35 PM by mykidsmom »

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
MJ,

This can't be accurate or all of my family would now have tested allergen free and we'd be dancing a jig!  We still test out as totally allergic to gluten, eggs and dairy and we haven't had that stuff in a year   (excluding thanksgiving).  For sure we haven't had chicken eggs in a year.  We have done 8 ELISA tests in the past year and this has not proved true any of those times.  

Don't worry 4myhoonie.  You're fine.  I would say it's inexperience on the part of the ND that stated that more then anything.  And never trust what a website states on stuff like this.  It's a webmaster that creates it.  Not the lab boss.   ;)

patti

phew, I'm glad to hear your experience as it help take the pressure off a bit and 4myhonnies sake. I had actually had2 ND's tell me the same thing specifically regarding the E96.  ???  Have you spoken with anyone at usbiotek to verify your experience and for their recommendations? WHY does everything require me to check, double check, and then check some more??? It's exhausting to say the least.  Hubby still does not want to risk it, so unless he sees it in writing he wants us to eat as many of the foods as possible on test to guarantee it accuracy. He's got a vested interest in due to the possible vestibulitis connection.  ;) ;D :-[
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:47:40 AM by mommyjen »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
MJ,

Don't worry 4myhoonie.  You're fine.  I would say it's inexperience on the part of the ND that stated that more then anything.  And never trust what a website states on stuff like this.  It's a webmaster that creates it.  Not the lab boss.   ;)

patti

phew, I'm glad to hear your experience as it help take the pressure off a bit and 4myhonnies sake. I had actually had2 ND's tell me the same thing specifically regarding the E96.  ???  Have you spoken with anyone at usbiotek to verify your experience and for their recommendations? WHY does everything require me to check, double check, and then check some more??? It's exhausting to say the least.  Hubby still does not want to risk it, so unless he sees it in writing he wants us to eat as many of the foods as possible on test to guarantee it accuracy. He's got a vested interest in due to the possible vestibulitis connection.  ;) ;D :-[

I've never checked with US BioTek directly but my ND is one of the absolute best when it comes to allergy issues, etc.  He has 10yrs of experience with US BioTek ELISA testing.  He has never once told us to eat what we think we're allergic to before testing.  On the contrary he is adamant that we don't.  I have no idea why they are saying this.  My DS is a good example.  He CAN'T eat what he's allergic to or he's completely incontinent for a month or more.  I've tested him 3 times this past 12 months.  All three times his allergies have shown just as the first one did, only improved (as they should) because we have eliminated those foods.  But not so improved that you could say it was because he hadn't eaten them.  It was more like a 1/16 of a line improvement.  Tested my SIL twice.  Same thing with her.  So, I don't know what to tell you.  I just got 5 fingerpricks kits from USBioTek and NONE of their instructions for the ELISA 96 state you must have eaten the food they're testing.  I don't know if it's a front desk person saying this or what, but clearly our experience has been you do not need to eat what you're allergic to for this test to be accurate. 

My .02

patti

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »
A lot of times, it only takes one website stating something false, and then lots of other sites will just re-state it.  So when Dr.'s are reasearching, they run into the same 'facts' without verifying with the manufacturer.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
Okay, I'm convinced.  :D  Thank you so much Patti.   :-*

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »
Just wanted to update...ds and I got our finger pricks done and should have the results in  a week!  We didn't do the celiac panel cause if some positive gluten stuff shows then dr. has a local lab that we can get further testing done at that is well priced.  Thanks Patti for letting us know about the ELISA!  I have a friend who paid about $800 to test maybe 5 allergens!  :o  That's mainly what kept me from doing testing for my little guy for so long.  :(

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
MommyJen, did you use the US Bio Tek test or another one?  And it was only a finger prick??  I have put off testing my children because I thought it always took a blood draw.  Can you give all the specifics of the tests you and ds did?

I hope you get some information you can use; I have been following your posts and I know it can be so frustrating to try and get a diagnosis.  Just be encouraged that eliminating allergens can only help even if allergens are not the root cause.  (Allergies and intolerances have a chance to flare up when the body is compromised.) 

Reading "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp is a great place to start understanding allergies and how widespread and under-/mis-diagnosed they are, too.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »
MommyJen, did you use the US Bio Tek test or another one?  And it was only a finger prick??  I have put off testing my children because I thought it always took a blood draw.  Can you give all the specifics of the tests you and ds did?

I hope you get some information you can use; I have been following your posts and I know it can be so frustrating to try and get a diagnosis.  Just be encouraged that eliminating allergens can only help even if allergens are not the root cause.  (Allergies and intolerances have a chance to flare up when the body is compromised.)  

Reading "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp is a great place to start understanding allergies and how widespread and under-/mis-diagnosed they are, too.

Hello DHW! I wasn't sure what to expect when we got to Dr for the testing, but yes it's only a finger prick.  My 3 year old hardly winced when the doctor took his blood. Very kid friendly. There were four little circles on a card that the Dr filled with blood drops. Then he put a band aid on dear son and that was the end!  I called around to find out which ND had the best pricing and just went with them.  You pay for the test (175-275 in our area) but you also have to pay the Dr visit and if it's an ND they usually do a thorough first meeting and it is expensive...something like 150. I'm betting you could get a group discount if you want to do the whole family! Or maybe find a medical Dr who runs them? I know that I get the best luck when I call beforehand and explain the situation (cost limitations).  I have found Dr's that have been willing to work with us.  :-*  Do you have any other question?  Thank you for the understanding and encouragement!  I will have to read that book.  I really haven't read much, mostly just googled so a book would be a nice (more relaxing) change of pace! ~
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:55:11 PM by mommyjen »

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
OK, so on the website it states that it requires 2 red top vials of blood to do the test, and that those under 20kg will need to do multiple draws to accomplish this.  Mo is about 9 kg, so we would definately be making several trips to the hospital for blood draws.  

So I'm thinking that we should try the finger prick card method instead, however I'm concerned that baby girl will not bleed enough to fill a whole bunch of circles at one time.  Do they all have to be done immediately together or can we fill a couple of circles and then, later in the day or maybe the next day, finish the card?  Is it supposed to be one circle per allergen?  So if we did the general food panel, would we have to fill 96 little circles?  Cause that would be a whole lotta bleedin!  :'(   If so, we may be better off just going to the dr. and getting the draws done...  ???

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
The US Bio Tek website states:

Diet:
It is advised for the patient to adhere to their usual dietary habits consuming a variety of foods when possible. Avoid any food that may have potentially resulted in a previous adverse reaction or anaphylaxis. Secondary exposure may prove fatal. For Celiac Panel, individuals on a gluten-free diet prior to testing may show low or falsely negative serological values.

here: http://www.usbiotek.com/Order_Specimen%20collection.php 

Which may be why the other Dr.'s believed that all the allergens may show a false negative if the foods had not recently been consumed. 

I did have an ER dr. tell me when my oldest was an infant and got stung by a wasp that you will not have an allergic reaction to something the first time you are exposed to it.  I don't know if he was right or not...  But that's what he told me. 

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
OK, so on the website it states that it requires 2 red top vials of blood to do the test, and that those under 20kg will need to do multiple draws to accomplish this.  Mo is about 9 kg, so we would definately be making several trips to the hospital for blood draws.  

So I'm thinking that we should try the finger prick card method instead, however I'm concerned that baby girl will not bleed enough to fill a whole bunch of circles at one time.  Do they all have to be done immediately together or can we fill a couple of circles and then, later in the day or maybe the next day, finish the card?  Is it supposed to be one circle per allergen?  So if we did the general food panel, would we have to fill 96 little circles?  Cause that would be a whole lotta bleedin!  :'(   If so, we may be better off just going to the dr. and getting the draws done...  ???

denim&lace, I have to get off the computer but I had to reply real quick.  The four circles are maybe a 1/4 inch wide and those filled with blood covers all 96 allergens. They may have to prick a little baby twice i'm guessing but I'm certain they could do that in one visit. The reason we went with the ELISA from biotec was because I believe its the most accurate (well there's one I thinks the *best* but it's really expensive and the ELISA is really the most reasonable place to start anyways). HTH you some.  Just a side note, i'm not sure how accurate allergy testing is for babies. Isn't there a recommended age that's like 2 or something?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »

Okay - back up slowly.   :D

First, it's much easier to do the finger prick with kids.  Yes, she will bleed enough so long as you hold the finger DOWN and not up like I tried to the first time.   :-[  However, the only way to get the fingerprick test is to have your doctor or an ND order the kit sent to their office and then go get it and either do it at home or have the doctor do it.  If you have insurance, then having your doctor order and do it in his office is THE cheapest way to get it done.  No, you do not have to fill in 96 little circles.  It's just 5.  And they're little.  

I pay $137 for my ELISA testing and $70 to get the results from the ND - per person (we've got 6 we do it for).  But that is AFTER a two hour visit that cost me $190.  If you have a doctor that is easy going this is what I would say:

"I woud like to have the ELISA 96 food allergy panel done on "XYZ."  Would you be willing to call this lab and have them send you the fingerprick test and do it in your office for me?  I have a requisition form with the name, address and phone number of the lab that has to be used for the test right here."  

Or something like that.  If they respond favorable then your on your way.  I do believe if you go this route the test might be $250.  My doctor has a special account with them because he does them all day long.  If your doctor is unwilling I know Dr. Dramov would do it but then you'd end up paying for a long phone consult and all that goes with that.  So it's best to see if you can get an MD or ND where your at to work with you.  

I'm a fairly strong personalitied person and have no trouble telling doctors exactly what I do and don't want them to do.  So some of this depends on your ease with doing that.  I'm notorious for telling the doctor he'll do it my way or I hit the highway and take my money with me.   ;D  Thankfully, I've only had to do that once.  I generally only go to doctors that are so laid back they'll do whatever I ask.

Mommyjen, we have a family of 6 we had tested and unfortunately got no breaks.  But then again, we seem to be paying less for the test then most because of my ND's account with US BioTek.  But for people who have health insurance of any sort, your MD is going to be the best route.  

hth

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
No minimum age requirement.  I know several people who've had it done on kids under a year with successful answers.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »
MommyJen, did you use the US Bio Tek test or another one?  And it was only a finger prick??  I have put off testing my children because I thought it always took a blood draw.  Can you give all the specifics of the tests you and ds did?

I hope you get some information you can use; I have been following your posts and I know it can be so frustrating to try and get a diagnosis.  Just be encouraged that eliminating allergens can only help even if allergens are not the root cause.  (Allergies and intolerances have a chance to flare up when the body is compromised.)  

Sorry, yes it was from Us bio tek.  I forgot to add for anyone researcing that we will also have to pay another dr. visit to get the results. I'm thinking about calling and seeing if we could just have them mailed. Is that terrible of me?  :D  I JUST realized that I forgot to do the thing where I contact us bio tek to check on the test!!  :(   :( Is it to late now?

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »
Sweet, savory, goodness!  Thank you Patti!

My ND is sooooo wonderful.  She knows we are limited on funding at the moment and when we had to go do a celiac panel yesterday she called the insurance company to make sure it would be covered and when they told her "we will probably cover 90%" she was still concerned about the cost, called the lab and convinced them to only charge us $65 if insurance didn't cover it!!! (on a $200+ test!) 

Did I mention that our ND is wonderful?   ;D

Since they just pulled 4 vials of blood on our little pixie just yesterday, I was concerned about doing another draw... I know we would wait another 3-4 weeks for that.  I've talked to  her about the ELISA test and she does use it, but feels it is better to figure it out by elimination... but is also concerned that we've been on the elimination diet for 2+ months now and aren't seeing weight gain on Mo.  She also does Carroll testing, which she says we will most likely be doing, eventually.
http://thecarrollinstitute.org/fim.html

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 05:02:14 AM »
Glad you're feeling better about this D&L!   ;D  You NEED that ELISA test done ASAP.  I'm glad she's so wonderful because you need to push her to do it as quickly as you can.  If she does this testing often then she may have an account with USBioTek already which would mean it would be $137 not $250.  That would be great. 

I am so glad you have a good ND!!!!  We have been to so many and I have discovered that they are like a good doctor.  Few and far between.  And half of them just want to throw supplements at a person and assume that will fix the problem.

Can you get her to run a Genova Stool Test on your DS also?  Because of your pregnancy situation and his after birth stuff I'm guessing he has an overrun bacteria in his gut (if he's got any probiotic at all even).  When you can, that is also going to be a key because weight gain can also be slowed down by the bad bacteria.

patti

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
So is the US Bio Tek ELISA done with a finger prick or a blood draw?  I'm confused...

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
So is the US Bio Tek ELISA done with a finger prick or a blood draw?  I'm confused...

My son and I had finger pricks, but perhaps both are option according to denim&laces quote from usbiotek's website.  ???
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:20:39 PM by mommyjen »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
So is the US Bio Tek ELISA done with a finger prick or a blood draw?  I'm confused...

It can be done either way.  If you have blood drawn it requires 5 tubes because they have to have serum.  If you do the fingerprick it is 5 small dots.  We've done both depending on what situation we were in.  We do the fingerprick test at home most of the time now.

patti

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
So, patti, would you recommend the finger prick for a first time test, or is the serum especially important for the initial test?

Have you done IgE, IgG and IgA testing?
~~~
I did a little reading on the US BioTek site, and I am pretty sure we do not have IgE reactions - no hives, throat swelling, etc. 

All the kids do have dark circles under their eyes, one tends to tummy troubles, and two tend to wheeze infrequently.  One with a chronically stuffy nose (a mouth breather).  Eczema, very mild (responds well to acid water sprayed on 2x day).  Low energy and moodiness in mom...and dad.

All those symptoms point to delayed food reactions, IgG.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:35:43 PM by DHW »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
So, patti, would you recommend the finger prick for a first time test, or is the serum especially important for the initial test?

Have you done IgE, IgG and IgA testing?
~~~
I did a little reading on the US BioTek site, and I am pretty sure we do not have IgE reactions - no hives, throat swelling, etc. 

All the kids do have dark circles under their eyes, one tends to tummy troubles, and two tend to wheeze infrequently.  One with a chronically stuffy nose (a mouth breather).  Eczema, very mild (responds well to acid water sprayed on 2x day).  Low energy and moodiness in mom...and dad.

All those symptoms point to delayed food reactions, IgG.

Both tests are completely accurate so if I had the choice I'd do the fingerprick.  Why give 'em more blood then they need?   ;D  You really need to do the IGG and IGE because while you may not see an immediate reaction it does mean the body isn't reacting internally immediately.  For example, my SIL ate beef her entire life.  Never saw reactions at all.  Tested her and it came out that she was so reactive to beef she was anaphylactic.   She had not had that type of reaction - yet.  But when we pulled beef from her diet about 6 months later someone let her have it and she was sick as a dog immediately and it lasted for a week.  I think the only reason she didn't have breathing issues is because it was like a hot dog or something where it was mixed in low amounts with other meats so it wasn't full on beef.  But just that little bit made her unbelievably sick.  So you may not be seeing immediate reactions to anything but that doesn't mean you're not having them internally (inflammation, etc).  So very important to test for both. 

We did not do IGA because it actually tests to see if  you're missing a certain thing in the immune system which means you have a whole different issue going on besides food allergies (or maybe its in addition to).  At least that's what my understanding is (I have friend whose dd has this issue).

Sounds like you have a good case of food allergies going there.  It's worth the testing.  Especially if you can find someone near you willing to do it (that's half the battle sometimes).

patti