Author Topic: Knee pain and inflammation, could this be caused by detoxing?  (Read 17281 times)

Offline songbird

• Learning
Knee pain and inflammation, could this be caused by detoxing?
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:51:38 PM »
I have recently been having knee problems, my knee gets inflamed when I walk too much, and can just be painful when I move on it.  I have had very mild inflammation for years, but not enough to really bother me until lately.  Then it got to the point where I couldn't ignore it any more.  I went to the doctor, and he is working on helping me figure it out, but I had a thought about it and wanted to get the opinion of people on here.  I recently did two 3 day fasts where I ate only raw fruits and veggies, a sort of detox.  Could this have released toxins and caused extra pain in me knee? 

Offline songbird

• Learning
Re: Knee pain and inflammation, could this be caused by detoxing?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
BUMP

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »
I had some wierd hip pain on and off throughout my last pregnancy.  I found that it was related to my spine being out of alignment, and causing nerve issues that HURT!!!  This went on for months...sometimes connected to overuse, sometimes just out of the blue pain to where I couldn't walk.  I believe that it was actually doing damage to my hip joint.  This is what fixed it for me:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,22257.0.html

It's easy and free, and can't hurt to try!

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »
It could totally be related to your detox as well. Inflammation is not normal whether major or minor.  Do you by chance have poor digestion?
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
I have recently been having knee problems, my knee gets inflamed when I walk too much, and can just be painful when I move on it.  I have had very mild inflammation for years, but not enough to really bother me until lately.  Then it got to the point where I couldn't ignore it any more.  I went to the doctor, and he is working on helping me figure it out, but I had a thought about it and wanted to get the opinion of people on here.  I recently did two 3 day fasts where I ate only raw fruits and veggies, a sort of detox.  Could this have released toxins and caused extra pain in me knee? 

Songbird,

If it's not your back being out of whack you might want to seriously consider that it could be food allergies.  I know that sounds strange but hear me out.   ;D  My husband thought he was just getting old (he's almost 50) because his joints were aching, his shoulders were sometimes inflamed with what he thought was bursitis once in awhile, his lower back hurt sometimes.  He clearly had inflammation issues.  When we tested him for food allergies and discovered he had TONS of them we pulled the main things he was allergic to out of his diet.  All of his aches and pains went away.   As he would once in awhile try to eat tomatoes he discovered that's what caused his lower back pain.  When he eats potatoes it causes his shoulder pain.  And on and on.  His knees also happen to be one of the spots that would get pain.  With each food he's allergic to we can pinpoint what was causing his pain as he tries to eat them once in awhile.   >:( 

It's very possible if you've had inflammation issues for quite some time that it's simply your body telling you you're eating stuff it can't have.  I would recommend an ELISA food allergy test.  If nothing comes back then great!  You're ahead of the game and can eliminate another possible cause.  But if you come back with food allergies you can eliminate those things and my guess is you'll see the inflammation go away and thus the pain. 

just my .02   ;D

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline songbird

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.  mommyjen, do you have any idea how to remove the toxins completely from my body if this was caused by detox?

Offline rockclimber

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
Interesting bit of trivia: Did you know that tobacco is in the nightshade family and that eggplant and tomatoes contain small amounts of nicotine?
My husband and I have had similar results as Patti's husband with tomatoes and potatoes.  Our chiropractor tested us for solanine (a toxin found in the nightshade family which includes tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant), and told us we needed to avoid all nightshades.  I guess some people (his estimate from people in his practice was 1/3 or 1/2 of the people he sees) can't get rid of the solanine toxin very efficiently and it can accumulate in the body, especially the joints or "weak" parts of the body. 

Think of it this way (these numbers are completely arbitrary, it's just for a "visual" aid), if a tomatoe contains 10 "units" of solanine, and my body can only get rid of 1 unit per day, it's never going to have the chance to get rid of all the solanine if I have the equivalent of 3 tomatoes a week through sauces and soups and salads.  We didn't notice much of a difference when we cut nightshades out of our diet, but noticed pain coming back after we'd have nightshades again.  I notice it in my back in muscles that I injured a year ago and my husband notices the pain in his ankles which have always been weaker.  Here's a website that has lots of info on solanine and nightshades and tells about some of the problems of the steroid alkaloids in nightshades: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62   In the middle is a section called "Effect of steroid alkaloids on joint health" where it mentions that researchers suggest that people with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other joint problems like gout completely cut the nightshades out of their diets. 

That's a simple place to start in food eliminations - cut out tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplants (simple but not easy I guess because they are in most processed foods).  One of my friends with bad joint pain cut nightshades out of his diet for 3 weeks and didn't think he noticed a difference.  After he added them back into his diet, the horrible joint pain came back (he didn't notice the gradual lessening of symptoms during those 3 weeks).  My chiropractor says that if you find that those are problem foods for you, you'll probably have to cut them out or drastically reduce your intake for good.  We have a supplement that one of the chiropractors in town formulated called "TheraSupreme" and for a lot of people it can help the body with eliminating solanine. Look at the bottom of the webpage for the TheraSupreme:  http://www.supremenutritionproducts.com/

I did the Master Cleanse this summer even though the cayenne pepper is a nightshade - I thought the added benefit of the cayenne pepper was worth the solanine I was taking in.  I didn't notice any solanine "symptoms" from the 10 day cleanse and I LOVED the MC!  It's such a great way for your body to take a break and repair. (When our bodies have to make so many digestive enzymes to break down the foods we eat [especially cooked and processed foods], the body can't make as many metabolic enzymes which are the enzymes that help repair and restore and eliminate toxins.)  Before I did the MC though, I did about 2 months of a colon cleanse, a kidney cleanse, and made sure I didn't have parasites or yeast to get rid of too.  Just for more information... I also had a friend who got rid of shin pain caused by uranium and radon through a 10 day cleanse (not the MC, a different cleanse).  Here's my post of her story: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,24273.msg233077.html#msg233077

Oh, one more thing... I like to try to do a 24 hour cleanse every week - usually I have an earlier dinner, and then only drink the MC lemonade until the following day at dinner, when I have a slightly later dinner.  I personally really like the 24 hour fast because it's not too hard but keeps me in the habit of "food awareness".
I hope this helps,
Kassia

Offline Currlygirrly

• Currlygirrly
  • Learning
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »
Did your doctor test for rhumatoid? sounds arthritic to me. 

I have arthritis (family genes). I usually conquer inflamation by restricting all meat and sugar from my diet ( Especially in the winter when the pressure changes make my joint pain worse). I doubt its related to your fast or detox. But keep us posted!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:55:57 AM »
I want to bump this thread b/c I recently had some WEIRD detox stuff going on, which included my left wrist getting swollen, stiff, painful to flex and left me with very limited movement in that wrist. I have NEVER had problems with any of my joints before, so this was a total mystery to me. At first, I thought it was wrist gout, but the heat & redness weren't there, so that was out. The more I researched, the more it pointed to detox symptoms and rheumatoid arthritis!

I'm pretty sure I am detoxing from taking colloidal silver w/H2O2. We use this to knock out the latest virus hitting our family (high fever, chills and perfuse sweating @ night).  The silver and H202 works wonders together, but I am really convinced that it is making me detox. I am noticing it most in this very painful left wrist.....

I checked out the arthritis thread, and the first post on there by Forevergirl is a lifsaver! It is 2 TBS. fresh citrus juice (I used lemon) plus 2 TBS. cod liver oil--WOW!!! What a difference! I did this last night and this morning, both times on empty stomach---MUCH IMPROVEMENT in the ol' wrist! I am amazed.....

Just wondering if anybody else has tried the cod liver oil + citrus juice?
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
Yes, I've used lemon juice and CLO in combination for repetitive stress joint inflammation. The lemon juice seems to enhance the high clo dose, perhaps better digestion of the increased fats?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 05:01:14 AM »
Yes, I've used lemon juice and CLO in combination for repetitive stress joint inflammation. The lemon juice seems to enhance the high clo dose, perhaps better digestion of the increased fats?

Yep--whatever this combination does together really seems to WORK!! My wrist is about 50% better, and so we have more work to do. I've got some different supplements coming, so between all the treatments, hopefully I can knock this thing out for good. :) I'll try to post what does and does not work.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141