Author Topic: Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness  (Read 48424 times)

Offline milmuth

• Adept
Re: Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »
SarahK

How much raw garlic did you give her?  or, how much is enough, do you think?

Over the course of the day she had about 2 cloves, but they were on the big side.  Um.. maybe about 1TB minced garlic EACH clove. 

thanks!  I need to use more next time!

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
We have been using the immune booster recipe for a few years now. It works great when taken liberally at the first sign of  anything. The sooner you start taking it, the better it seems to work. 

But I and my children all take Juice PLUS+, too, daily. This is 17 servings fruits,vegies, juiced and put into capsules or chewable form.  The nutrients in fruits and veggies are the ultimate immune system boosters. Most of us dont eat enough.

That said, if you truly want to build your immune system, eating 9-13 fresh fruits and veggies daily would be great. JP+ is a great alternative,too.  We rarely get sick here- we have gotten ONE full blown cold in the last 10 months (and we are a family of 7 AND we are out about town nearly everyday) I have hardly had to use the immune booster in the last year- I mostly give it away to family and friends.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »
Ladies- I want to thank you for all the WONDERFUL information on this thread. :) I am reading this out of desperation for my DH who seems to be sick way more often than he should be. Also, his allergies get worse and worse every year, and he has an occasional stomach problem that the G.I. doctor could never diagnose ::) Please keep this thread going- I am praying for wisdom for myself and my DH.......

Also, ladies: If you have never used GOOT on your children, it is AWESOME! I discovered it about 14 months ago, and it has been amazing! I use it on my children as a preventative ( to sickness) nearly every day in the winter. I wish my DH and I could work up the nerve to use it ourselves, LOL..........My children have avoided various different illnesses from their father, from eachother, and even from me by using GOOT. My best luck has been to use it as a preventative, but for some reason, this winter, it has really helped my oldest son get over 2 different fevers.  :)
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
Ladies- I want to thank you for all the WONDERFUL information on this thread. :) I am reading this out of desperation for my DH who seems to be sick way more often than he should be. Also, his allergies get worse and worse every year, and he has an occasional stomach problem that the G.I. doctor could never diagnose ::) Please keep this thread going- I am praying for wisdom for myself and my DH.......

Also, ladies: If you have never used GOOT on your children, it is AWESOME! I discovered it about 14 months ago, and it has been amazing! I use it on my children as a preventative ( to sickness) nearly every day in the winter. I wish my DH and I could work up the nerve to use it ourselves, LOL..........My children have avoided various different illnesses from their father, from eachother, and even from me by using GOOT. My best luck has been to use it as a preventative, but for some reason, this winter, it has really helped my oldest son get over 2 different fevers.  :)

GOOT is GREAT. I just cant get over the smell. I dont mind eating it- It is smelling like it all day that bothers me so much.  Oh and try GOOT on warts- if you pick them open and put goot on everyday they FALL OFF-
And it kills fever blisters,too.

But I think that is another thread topic....
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »
Since November a little one I know has gotten EVERY cold that comes her way

What should the Momma do or think????
What should be modified in the child's life?
What is the reason for the colds?
Is it "normal" for a child this age to get colds easily? 

I am stumped as to what could be allowing this in....but have some suspiscions...but STILL don't think it should be as bad as it is.

Issues:
- Head cold comes her way and she gets it. In my opinion that is a problem because it means her immune system is not fighting off things effectively enough.
For example: Gets a cold...symptoms are not too bad... But then 4 days after getting "well" the same symptoms begin again!
Symptoms: stuffy sounding nasal cavity, cough that lasts a week then stops and starts back up again 2 weeks later, very small amount of runny nose, no fever, has complained of ear hurting twice...used garlic oil and went away, Dr. checked the ears said an antibiotic could be used if the Momma wanted to...but that she (the dr.) thought it would heal on its own. No antibiotics used on the child ever.

Child facts:
2 1/2 years old
Never been on any drugs/medications
Has NO health issues...except this cold stuff
Has a very good overall diet (lots of fresh fruits and veggies)
Daddy takes the child to get donughts and other junky (fun) food about 2x a week.
No desserts on a regular basis (like daily anyways...)
Significatly ess sunshine/outdoors than she is used to since November
A new family member was recently added (but after the cold after cold began)

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
That sounds a lot like my daughter ( now 5) who was very susceptible to runny-nose and cough-type illnesses. She was born with thrush and I have ongoing yeast issues so when I seriously ( consistently!) treated her for yeast she has been illness free for over a year. If she gets a cough or something it goes away very quickly without any treatment at all. I buy her chewable acidopholis..she loves her " special vitamin" . Daddy was guilty of buying her treats as well. That was a hard habit to break. He's better....a big bottle of Vitamin Water ( or Life Water) all to herself is a great treat now. Or a bag of chips. Healthy juice-only ice pops and Italian Ices are always a huge hit.  Of course I had to tell him no sugar whatsoever so many times I was sick of hearing myself. I went to a link shown here today under the "Stevia Recipes" thread ( Sweetlife Stevia) that sells the flavored Stevia in bottles and I will try that for a drink I can pull together. Some of the drops they suggest in milk which would be great instead of juice. Once they are sick, Oil of Oregano has been a wonder drug for us. Drops in her spaghetti or garlic bread and she's none the wiser.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »
So you think it could be sugar causing the problem? Ah, that would be hard to get the daddy on a "no sugar" mindset. They spend so much time together and have so much fun  :-\
Maybe a list of things she CAN eat should be made.

Or yeast?
There are no signs of yeast...

Basically: It feels like the child has not been able to get completely well since Thanksgiving.
She does not look/act unhealthy... the momma can just tell there is something small going on. It would be bad for that something small to turn into something big...

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
You know, this kind of sounds like me.  I think my problem (besides extremely poor nutrition, vaccinations, repeated antibiotics  ::)) was unaddressed food allergies.  I never had a life-threatening reaction to my allergens, or even anything noticeable.  But if this little girl has developed allergies, than her body could have been backing up with toxic, undigested food, getting worse and worse.  Now that I'm no longer eating allergenic foods, the repeated illness and seasonal allergies have gotten better.  Just a thought. :-\

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »
hhmmmm...

There would be allergy sings though right?
What would they be?

I'm beginning to think that there is mucous in the sinus cavity and an infection.
With her body dealing with that.... another cold virus is able to sweep in and get her sick again.
(but there are no obvious signs of infection) ???

Also, 2 year olds don't have completely developed immune systems right?

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
I'm just jumping so I don't know what has been mentioned. But, from what I understand the body cannot get the same cold/virus twice. It is something different every time even if it has the same symptoms. So, my guess is either she has never fully gotten over the cold or some kind of allergy. Also, it could be the stress of the new family member has just weakened her immune system enough she can't find the germs effectively. 
Just some thoughts....
My SIL's kids have been perpetually sick for a least a month now. I believe they are passing it around but there aren't multiple children here.
As for modifications, I would make sure she is getting plenty of mama and daddy time and maybe taking it easy, not too many trips that aren't necessary. I would make sure she is getting plenty of rest, is hydrated and taking some kind of echanacia/elderberry supplement.
Jess

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
hhmmmm...

There would be allergy sings though right?
What would they be?

I'm beginning to think that there is mucous in the sinus cavity and an infection.
With her body dealing with that.... another cold virus is able to sweep in and get her sick again.
(but there are no obvious signs of infection) ???

Also, 2 year olds don't have completely developed immune systems right?

Not necessarily.  The illness could BE the sign.  It may not be, and I certainly hope not, because food allergies are a pain in the rear. >:(  I'm no expert, by any means, but mucous anywhere in the body seems to indicate mucous in the intestinal tract.  Which could put you looking at food allergies.  I also had mold allergies, and we lived in a very damp, 80 year-old farm house.  Whenever we go visit my parents, I get sick just from being in the house. 

In my experience, the food allergies, I believe, led to auotimmune disease, which led to mono, preeclampsia, and many other health problems.  If nothing else seems to help, I would advise trying an elimination diet or allergy testing by a doctor.  It's great that her mom's health conscious, but unfortunately, some things are just genetic.   :(

Or perhaps her sinuses just aren't draining properly?  Maybe a chiropractor could help if that's the case. ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
I'm thinking depression.  Not in the same sense that you might think, but like seasonal affective disorder.  Maybe with the added stress of new sister and low vitamin D levels from restricted sunshine, she has a depressed immune system.  Just thinking out loud here, but I might try cod liver oil ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »
I'm thinking depression.  Not in the same sense that you might think, but like seasonal affective disorder.  Maybe with the added stress of new sister and low vitamin D levels from restricted sunshine, she has a depressed immune system.  Just thinking out loud here, but I might try cod liver oil ???

That makes me depressed!
waaah :'( :'(

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »

That makes me depressed!
waaah :'( :'(

HB, that makes a lot of sense. Don't be sad Kristen, it happens to A LOT of kids. Their little bodies need the vitamin D and on top of that her life has changed quite a bit in the past few months. I'm with HB, cod liver oil would be helpful as well as some sunshine when it is possible to take her out. Sending you a hug...
Jess

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »
My understanding of the immune system is that you should think of it as a bucket full of fighters ready to defend your body. As the body needs to defend itself against attack, it dumps little fighters to go and take care of things. However, it takes much less time to dump fighters than it takes to build them up.

Soooo this means that a social gathering where you have a lot of exposure to colds, etc. will tax your resources of fighters and your reserves will be low if you are exposed again within the week or so to another assault. You may not get sick from the first exposure, but your chances are greater to get sick from the second and subsequent exposures as your defenses are lowered from previous assaults.

Solutions? Try to space exposures to large crowds about a week apart for small children as they are starting out with an immature immune system that cannot be taxed as well as an adult's. If you have a planned gathering/activity, try administering some immune booster tincture the day before the gathering (or something similar). After a gathering, for good measure, let them go to sleep with some GOOT on their feet. Something I've been using lately that helps both congestion and to fend off viruses & bacteria is to place some Neem oil on a cotton swab and place it just inside the nostrils. It tastes awful, but they won't taste it unless they, well  :P. This will stop infection by way of the sinus passage, helping keep the immune system high-functioning by stopping an attack before it can take hold.

Just my initial thoughts . . . :-\
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
My understanding of the immune system is that you should think of it as a bucket full of fighters ready to defend your body. As the body needs to defend itself against attack, it dumps little fighters to go and take care of things. However, it takes much less time to dump fighters than it takes to build them up.

Soooo this means that a social gathering where you have a lot of exposure to colds, etc. will tax your resources of fighters and your reserves will be low if you are exposed again within the week or so to another assault. You may not get sick from the first exposure, but your chances are greater to get sick from the second and subsequent exposures as your defenses are lowered from previous assaults.

Solutions? Try to space exposures to large crowds about a week apart for small children as they are starting out with an immature immune system that cannot be taxed as well as an adult's. If you have a planned gathering/activity, try administering some immune booster tincture the day before the gathering (or something similar). After a gathering, for good measure, let them go to sleep with some GOOT on their feet. Something I've been using lately that helps both congestion and to fend off viruses & bacteria is to place some Neem oil on a cotton swab and place it just inside the nostrils. It tastes awful, but they won't taste it unless they, well  :P. This will stop infection by way of the sinus passage, helping keep the immune system high-functioning by stopping an attack before it can take hold.

Just my initial thoughts . . . :-\

SC- very very interesting! What is the Neem oil like for adults? Is it nasty, or just OK? I am still looking for options for my DH......He just started taking " berry well" on the days he works.......We LOVE goot for our kids, but for adults.......YUCK!
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline iluvphil

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2008, 04:59:59 AM »
  The other day my friends and I were discussing about how much we dread this next winter (yes, this is only July but cold weather is only 3 mon. away! :o) because of sicknesses and viruses, flus.. and all the nasty stuff that seems to plague us. Last winter was awful for sicknesses. Some families in our church were missing for several months because of sick children. My own 2 yr old dd was hospitalized for pneumonia. You didn't want to go anywhere for fear of spreading something or picking something up. It was NOT fun. So.. we'd like to boost our children's immune systems awhile before flu season hits. Most of our children are preschoolers and under. We have a few formula fed babies among us. I know garlic was mentioned but I don't see my dd chewing on garlic. :-X Recently someone thought adding pro-biotics to their diet might help. What about the babies that aren't breastfed? How do you boost their little immune systems? Any suggestions or ideas?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:01:46 AM by iluvphil »

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2008, 05:38:22 AM »
I would also add coconut oil to everyones diet...they already have some in formulas, do your research and than if you feel comfortable add some more to their formula....there ia coconut oil thread on here, coconut oil if full of the medium chain fatty acids that are in breast milk and help keep breast milky babie healthy. Sambucol (I get mine cheapest at Luckyvitamins.com) is another excellent option. I give it to my 2 year old I don't know about under a year. That's great for boosting. Umcka from Lucky is great for catching a cold right at the start. And probiotics are good too, Lucky has a NOW 4x6 acidophilus powder that I would recommend for on a budget probiotic. And they also have a NOW chewable C I woud recommend. Sambucol, acidophilus, coconut oil and C's...and lots of hand washing! Man its summer time and there is still so much sickness around here .... Thankfully it hasn't been bad for us, but we pray a lot, take our supplements, eat good (no "devil" sugar as my son lkes to call it) for the kids (only "God's candy/sugar" honey, etc), and try out best to keep away from the germs! :) I started draggin my double stroller out for grocery and shopping trips so the kdis don't have to be in the carts!! :) myabe a little extreme but I'm enjoying the health around here thank You God! :)

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2008, 06:57:13 AM »
Do probiotics help prevent respiratory illness, or just tummy bugs? How do you give probiotics, like acidophilus to a baby not on solid foods? What ideas do you all have for babies under a year? I am a big fan of Berry Well, but I can't give it to a baby under a year because it has honey in it..........

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
80% of your immunity is in your gut, so boosting gut function with probiotics should improve overall health.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »
This is a recipe for a "Fall Tonic" from Learning Herbs. They have some great ideas and recipes. It's basically chicken stock with some immune boosting herbs that you just drink on a regular basis to keep your immune system up.

http://www.learningherbs.com/news_issue_21.html

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
Need help .. is this product worth buying, will it help with digestion, and boost immune?
Opinions please.

Immune Advantage Description from NOW
Immune AdvantageTM is a new Immunoglobulin supplement derived from bovine serum. It contains high levels of a mixture of Immunoglobulin classes, including IgG1, IgG2, IgM and IgA factors shown to support healthy immune functions. Immune AdvantageTM retains more biological activity through the digestive tract, therefore delivering more IgG to the small intestine where it is most effective.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size:1 capsule
Servings per Container: 90

Ingredient    Amount    % Daily Value**
ImmunoLin    450mg    †
Immunoglobulin G    180mg    †
Transferrins    40.5mg    †
Proline-rich polypeptides    22.95mg    †
Immunoglobulin M    20.25mg    †
Immunoglobulin A    2.25mg    †
IgF1    2.4mcg    †
** Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
† Daily Value not established.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 07:04:45 AM »
So I am at my wit's end here. We have just gotten over being sick for 4 weeks and we just got something again! I have been doing everything "right", but nothing seems to be working. We are doing garlic-eating it, rubbing it all over. I have been chopping onions putting it next to our beds for coughs. We take our vitamins-multis, fish oils, bee immune etc. No sugar, no juice, no milk. We drink raw ACV. I am feeding my family gallons of red raspberry leaf, dandelion, alfalfa, rosehip, mint tea. My husband can't have echinacea since it gives him diarrhea. He feels like he has strep and nothing helps but Tylenol  :P My kids are coughing and I feel like my sinuses are full of cement. Please help me-hit me with anything!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts, hope some of it is helpful -

VITAMIN D: You might try vitamin D in high doses for a few days and then scale back to a maintenance dose.  Your levels need to be close to 50 ng/dl; a blood test is the only way to know your vitamin status (www.vitamindcouncil.org and ZRT lab).

DAIRY FREE: Dr. Jonathan V. Wright recommends dropping dairy since there is a strong correlation between dairy consumption and recurrent strep.

DIRECT CONTACT: For sinuses try irrigating with one quart of warm saline one or more times a day.  I find that it takes a quart in one application to get the gunk moving.  A stronger saline solution may help reduce nasal congestion better, too.  I use 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda per cup of purified water.  DO NOT use regular tap water - it may harbor pathogens.  I use boiled, purified water.  I like the nasal irrigation bottles better than the Neti pots.

If you have a nebulizer use it with saline or colloidal silver.  This will get the solution in direct contact with the infected areas (nasal passages, throat, lungs).  Next choice would be a humidifier or steam tent with essential oils or herbs, plus nasal sprays or irrigation.  Squirt, spray, or gargle (gently) herbal solutions or c. silver on the throat and tonsils.

TOPICAL APPLICATION:  I like eucalyputus/lavendar/tea tree oil/pepperment in cocount oil to rub over swollen lymph nodes, over chest and back, and over the throat.  You could try it over the sinuses, but dilute with enough coconut oil so skin irritation is not a problem.  Start slow and check for sensitivities by using a small amount initially.  Alternating hot and cold packs can be very soothing (contrast therapy is 2 minutes hot followed by 2 minutes cold for about 15 minutes).  Castor oil packs on the throat and elsewhere can really help relieve pain and shrink lymph nodes.

REST: get as much rest as possible.  The body is working very hard to fight infection, and while a brisk walk is usually a good idea, it is not a good idea to stress the body further.  Clear your calendar and concentrate on healing.

MAGNESIUM:  Epsom salt baths or foot soaks (also good for gettting in sulfur), or mag chloride oil rubs are relaxing and replenishing. 

ADRENAL SUPPORT: Illness is a type of stress.  Anytime you have stress you need to support the adrenals.  Magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin C (if tolerated), and licorice are a good place to start.

OXALATES: Be careful of high oxalate foods which can be tremendously irritating www.lowoxalate.info and http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
So I am at my wit's end here. We have just gotten over being sick for 4 weeks and we just got something again! I have been doing everything "right", but nothing seems to be working. We are doing garlic-eating it, rubbing it all over. I have been chopping onions putting it next to our beds for coughs. We take our vitamins-multis, fish oils, bee immune etc. No sugar, no juice, no milk. We drink raw ACV. I am feeding my family gallons of red raspberry leaf, dandelion, alfalfa, rosehip, mint tea. My husband can't have echinacea since it gives him diarrhea. He feels like he has strep and nothing helps but Tylenol  :P My kids are coughing and I feel like my sinuses are full of cement. Please help me-hit me with anything!

We had this problem 2 winters ago. Started to have the problem last winter as well. Got a diffuser from Beeyoutiful and used eucalyptus, rosemary and lavender essential oil and everything cleared up and we didn't get anything after that.  So we got a second one for DH to take to the office. Just added to the hippy jokes that get thrown at him:):) Had just one time of sickness this winter but that was right after getting back up here (AK) from spending summer/fall down south.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts, hope some of it is helpful -

VITAMIN D: You might try vitamin D in high doses for a few days and then scale back to a maintenance dose.  Your levels need to be close to 50 ng/dl; a blood test is the only way to know your vitamin status (www.vitamindcouncil.org and ZRT lab).

DAIRY FREE: Dr. Jonathan V. Wright recommends dropping dairy since there is a strong correlation between dairy consumption and recurrent strep.

DIRECT CONTACT: For sinuses try irrigating with one quart of warm saline one or more times a day.  I find that it takes a quart in one application to get the gunk moving.  A stronger saline solution may help reduce nasal congestion better, too.  I use 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda per cup of purified water.  DO NOT use regular tap water - it may harbor pathogens.  I use boiled, purified water.  I like the nasal irrigation bottles better than the Neti pots.

If you have a nebulizer use it with saline or colloidal silver.  This will get the solution in direct contact with the infected areas (nasal passages, throat, lungs).  Next choice would be a humidifier or steam tent with essential oils or herbs, plus nasal sprays or irrigation.  Squirt, spray, or gargle (gently) herbal solutions or c. silver on the throat and tonsils.

TOPICAL APPLICATION:  I like eucalyputus/lavendar/tea tree oil/pepperment in cocount oil to rub over swollen lymph nodes, over chest and back, and over the throat.  You could try it over the sinuses, but dilute with enough coconut oil so skin irritation is not a problem.  Start slow and check for sensitivities by using a small amount initially.  Alternating hot and cold packs can be very soothing (contrast therapy is 2 minutes hot followed by 2 minutes cold for about 15 minutes).  Castor oil packs on the throat and elsewhere can really help relieve pain and shrink lymph nodes.

REST: get as much rest as possible.  The body is working very hard to fight infection, and while a brisk walk is usually a good idea, it is not a good idea to stress the body further.  Clear your calendar and concentrate on healing.

MAGNESIUM:  Epsom salt baths or foot soaks (also good for gettting in sulfur), or mag chloride oil rubs are relaxing and replenishing. 

ADRENAL SUPPORT: Illness is a type of stress.  Anytime you have stress you need to support the adrenals.  Magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin C (if tolerated), and licorice are a good place to start.

OXALATES: Be careful of high oxalate foods which can be tremendously irritating www.lowoxalate.info and http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/

Thank you! I am already doing most of these things. I am on adrenal support, we are dairy free, taking vitamin D...I do have a few questions though. Can you do the castor oil pack while pregnant? I am 34 weeks. I have been using Eucalyptus oil, but what amounts do you use in your rub? As for the sinus irrigation, I have been trying to do that throughout the day, but am so congested I can't get anything to go through. I keep trying and trying but nothing will go through.  Maybe if I do the rub for a while first that will loosen things up? I don't have a nebulizer but I have been running the humidifier, I think that helped a little. I don't have colloidal silver though, I'll try to get that. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
Castor oil is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless you are near the end of the pregnancy, then a castor oil pack is said to be ok (check with your midwife).  I would not use it on the abdomen, but I think it would be ok to apply to your throat to relieve a sore throat.

If you are so congested that nasal irrigation is not working, try the contrast therapy over your sinuses with damp wash cloths, one cold and one very warm, but comfortable (not hot).  You want to do quick applications of each and repeat for about 15 minutes.

Massaging the sinuses with firm downward strokes can help, too.

I use a couple of drops of the various essential oils in a few drops of a carrier oil.  We are not sensitive, so I can mix it pretty strong.  You might want to start with one drop of EO in 1/2 tsp of coconut oil.  You may also try a tiny dab just inside your nostrils.  I am sure some of your congestion is due to pregnancy hormones, though.  Have your tried the Breath Right strips to help open up the nose?

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 06:55:43 AM »
Ok, I will try the applications. I just realized the other day that I have Beeyoutiful's Winter Breeze rub and have been using it, which has the same ingredients you were using, though I can't smell it at all, but hope it's doing something anyway lol I think things are getting a little better, the pressure's not as bad. I just hope this is the last time we get sick for awhile! Thank you for all your suggestions!