Author Topic: Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness  (Read 48965 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 02:14:16 PM »
Did everyone remember to start boosting their immune systems in preparation for family get togethers?
We do that daily.  ;)
NOTE: The Immune Booster Tincture I use from the BHS has echinacea and is not for daily use, only when exposed to illness or starting to show symptoms. If used daily, the effectiveness is diminished.

I meant boosting the immune system.  I don't use immune booster yet and I just got my order of echinacea.  I give healthy fats, yogurt, kombucha daily and lots of other yummy healthy stuff.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
I have a funny story.  I was as the store the other day doing some early Christmas shopping with my baby.  She was sitting in the cart and I was looking at some jewelry with my back slightly turned to her.  This woman came up to me and had this horrified look on her face, and she goes, "Maam, is that your baby?"  I said , "Yes."  She said, "You need to really be careful with her and not let her put that cart in her mouth, it is just full of germs!"  I turned around and she had totally slobbered her mouth all up and down the bar.  :P I said, "Yes, but it looks like she already got them all."  The woman looked at me dumbfounded.  ::)  But I did give her a dose of Immune Booster when I got home.  Ah, well  we can't keep our kids in a bubble.  Instead, we'll just make them tough! ;D
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 06:49:08 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 05:35:27 AM »
The way to change this is to make sure that you are feeding your T1 cells.  They need Omega 3 fats (nothing hydrogenated and no soy) like butter, flax, fish oil, cream, evening primrose, avacados, etc. 

I have some evening primrose supplements that says "especially for women".  Since I know it is good for women and their hormones and stuff, I wondered if it is safe for children?  Can I pour the contents of the gel capsules into smoothies/kefir for them along with flaxseed meal?  Does anyone know how much is good and safe?  Is this ok on a daily basis?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 06:41:16 AM »
The way to change this is to make sure that you are feeding your T1 cells.  They need Omega 3 fats (nothing hydrogenated and no soy) like butter, flax, fish oil, cream, evening primrose, avacados, etc.

I have some evening primrose supplements that says "especially for women".  Since I know it is good for women and their hormones and stuff, I wondered if it is safe for children?  Can I pour the contents of the gel capsules into smoothies/kefir for them along with flaxseed meal?  Does anyone know how much is good and safe?  Is this ok on a daily basis?
EPO is not a good source of Omega 3.  It is in fact a source of Omega 6.  That post was a mistake on my part.  Sorry. 

Natural sources of Omega 3 fats include:  Avacodoes, Walnuts, Walnut Oil, Fish Oil, Salmon, Scallops, Halibut, Shrimp, Snapper, Tofu, Squash, Herring, Mackerel, Anchovies, Sardines, Tuna, Chia, Perilla, Purslane, Lingonberry, Hemp, Krill, Krill Oil, Animal Fat (grass fed has higher fat content), Lamb (even commercial lamb is generally grass fed and is reputed to be one of the best meat sources), Dairy (grass fed has higher fat content), MicroAlgae(Crypthecodinium cohnii and Schizochytrium), Brown Algae and Acai(Palm Fruit)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:43:36 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 07:49:13 AM »

My doc said to give essential fatty acids freely (dd's were 1 at that time). We were giving them Udo's Perfected Oil Blend or Nordic Naturals Berry Keen by the teaspoonfull & they would ask for more. I have Beeyoutiful's Omega Balance & just open them up & add them to smoothies or give them by spoon to my girls. I usually use 2 capsules for each child.

Offline pupu4four

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 02:38:26 AM »
I posted yesterday about my 3yo ds having a fever and not wanting to take his medicine.  Well yesterday afternoon, his stuffy nose and fever added to it vomiting.  He's still congested, but the fevers down and so far he hasn't thrown up today, although he just ate some toast, so we shall see.

My problem is that he's had the puking flu bug 4 times already this year.  He just had it less than a month ago.  He also has a problem with ear infections and gets at least one if not two a winter.  I only breastfed him for 4 months and then switched to formula.  That may have contributed to it.  My youngest bf for almost 10 months and he's only been sick once with a fever.  So I definitely see the difference there.

What can I do to increase my 3yo immune system.  I have vitamin drops to put in his drink, but is there anything else I can do?  Should I be concerned that he's getting the stomache flu so often?  Is it a sign of something more serious?  What kinds of vitamins do you use?  What would he be most likely to enjoy taking?  I know that's a lot of questions, I hope you can help!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 03:02:22 AM »
At the first sign of fever, I put goot on my 4 yr old's feet and cover them with socks. This happened a couple of days ago and stopped whatever it was in its tracks. He woke up the next day without the fever.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline pupu4four

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:30 AM »
At the first sign of fever, I put goot on my 4 yr old's feet and cover them with socks. This happened a couple of days ago and stopped whatever it was in its tracks. He woke up the next day without the fever.

I'd never heard of goot before until you mentioned it.  I just looked it up here http://www.nacd.org/more_information/health/goot.html.  This stuff sounds great.  I'd love to know more about it!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2007, 04:38:23 AM »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Jesuslovinmomma

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 04:50:10 AM »
I have found giving my kids probiotics have stopped stomach bugs in their tracks, ( that is good bacteria for the intestines that get wiped out by antibiotics). I'm sure there are threads about benifits of probiotics!
Also chirpractic care can help prevent ear infections. Out of my 3 kids ages 2-6 1/2 yrs we have only ever had maybe 2 ear infections.

Offline jennyrose

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »
I would suggest considering that his ear problems are due to a milk/dairy allergy.  I have done so much research on allergies because my almost three yr old suffers from many of them.  Also, I would suggest taking him off vit and putting him on a good probiotic free of milk, soy, wheat or citric acid ingredients to boost his system.   

YoopreMama

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
Do we have a thread on building up immune systems due to antibiotics at birth (years later)?  I know the general guidelines for building immunity, especially short-term for avoiding illness, but I'm talking about MAJOR recolonization of intestinal flora and repair work...specific probiotics, etc...???  Where should I start reading?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
Do we have a thread on building up immune systems due to antibiotics at birth (years later)?  I know the general guidelines for building immunity, especially short-term for avoiding illness, but I'm talking about MAJOR recolonization of intestinal flora and repair work...specific probiotics, etc...???  Where should I start reading?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644

#4 & #5 specifically
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2007, 03:00:10 AM »
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644
#4 & #5 specifically
Thank you, HB!  I knew you could direct me.  :)

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 02:47:13 PM »
NOTE: The Immune Booster Tincture I use from the BHS has echinacea and is not for daily use, only when exposed to illness or starting to show symptoms. If used daily, the effectiveness is diminished.

Just wondering...would this be safe for me to take? Im breastfeeding my 10 month old. Is it safe for her and my 4 yr old too? How much is it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 05:50:37 AM by healthybratt »
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:58 AM »
bump!

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:25 AM »
 Do some research but i personally would use it without a problem, for myself and all my kids.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »

Just wondering...would this be safe for me to take? Im breastfeeding my 10 month old. Is it safe for her and my 4 yr old too? How much is it?

The ingredients listed on the Bulk Herb Store page for Immune Booster are all safe for pregnancy & I've never heard of a problem with them for young children either.

I would give you the price and a link here - but if you scroll to the top of this page to the "Bulk Herb Store" banner and click that it will open a new window for their home page AND give them a record that their advertising here is drawing attention to their business (good for WTM & BHS both).

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »
thanks, Sarah ;)

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 07:23:39 AM »
Help Please!  When I go to the Bulk Herb Store I can't find the Immune Booster Tincure, just the Double E Immune.  Is it the same? 

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Can you give echinacea to a baby under 1 yr?  How about fresh garlic? Has anyone given their older babies (+/- 9 mo.) a tiny amount of raw garlic orally? I'm looking to boost up my baby's system with the holidays coming on, and knowing for sure someone in the gatherings will be sick!

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2007, 05:37:03 AM »
Can you give echinacea to a baby under 1 yr?  How about fresh garlic? Has anyone given their older babies (+/- 9 mo.) a tiny amount of raw garlic orally? I'm looking to boost up my baby's system with the holidays coming on, and knowing for sure someone in the gatherings will be sick!

Bump

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2007, 05:43:27 AM »

Bump

I have give raw garlic to my nearly 1 yr old 3 times a day for a while when we were sick.  I minced it and stirred it into apple butter.  She took it fine w/o much complaint.  And she stunk to high heaven.  The joke was that, if you developed some eye infection that week, the treatment would be to talk with her for 15 min several times a day.  Garlic breath vapors in the face should zap it.

Sarah K

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:44 AM »

Bump

I have give raw garlic to my nearly 1 yr old 3 times a day for a while when we were sick.  I minced it and stirred it into apple butter.  She took it fine w/o much complaint.  And she stunk to high heaven.  The joke was that, if you developed some eye infection that week, the treatment would be to talk with her for 15 min several times a day.  Garlic breath vapors in the face should zap it.

Sarah K

SarahK

How much raw garlic did you give her?  or, how much is enough, do you think?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:52 AM »

Yes you can give echinacea to a baby, newborn up in my opinion.  I give my kids Herbs for kids Echinacea/Goldenroot Orange flavor with Herbal Respiratory from Mountain Meadow herbs. Works great. If I had a newborn that  was exposed or had a cold  I would use Mountain Meadow herbs Infa-flu or Sambucol for kids.Either of those is safe for any age of baby.

I read of a lady that used one dropper full of echinacea in every bottle for her baby, when he had a cold, and it worked pretty good. THere is no toxic level for echinacea, it is non-toxic and completley safe.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2007, 06:20:54 AM »
SarahK

How much raw garlic did you give her?  or, how much is enough, do you think?

Over the course of the day she had about 2 cloves, but they were on the big side.  Um.. maybe about 1TB minced garlic EACH clove. 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2007, 06:24:28 AM »
Oh, and I think that was certainly more than enough.  There were kids dropping sick left and right at that time in the house and this littlest one was teething at the same time.  I just loaded her up with garlic just like everyone else in the house.  She got the same size dose as the 4 yr old did.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
This is great to know! Thanks so much, ladies! I've often wondered what I could give my little guy when bugs are going around, or he's on the verge of something. 

After posting last night, I did "experiment" a little, by crushing a small clove of garlic into a about a cup of mashed squash I was feeding him.  As I was thinking about it, I thought that garlic is just a food, and mixing a little in something else shouldn't bother him.  He didn't seem to even notice, and had no "side effects".  I might give echinacea a try sometime, too. Thanks!

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2007, 07:48:30 AM »

Sarah K

LOL! My hubby says that the garlic stops the spread of illness by keeping everyone away from the sick person! ;D I once had a dr. tell me that the garlic was only good for keeping away vampires.  ::)