Author Topic: Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness  (Read 48966 times)

Offline Caroline

• Adept
    • New Little Blessing
Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:49:07 AM »
Could you all give advice on what you think is the most effective way to boost your immune system. I'm not talking about adding a little garlic daily to prevent a cold. I seriously have a pretty bad immune system (saliva testing showed that up). I know the usual, vit. c, garlic, but do you all have something that you felt worked for you so I wouldn't get every cold and flu that comes around. Also so I will be stronger to ward of candida. Thanks
Caroline
www.newlittleblessing.com
Ergos, Pregnancy/Ovulation tests, Books, Modest Patterns, Modest Nursing covers, Baby and Child size slings and Vitamins!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Boosting Your Immune System: Avoiding Illness
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »
Most people today have an imbalance of omega fats in their diets and as a result their immune systems are totally out of whack.  There are two main branches or "arms" of the immune system.  They are generally called T1 and T2 cells.  Omega 3s feed the T1s and Omega 6s feed the T2s.  Most American diets are seriously lacking in Omega 3s and too high in Omega 6s.  When this happens the T2 cells overpopulate and when they are called on to fight illness they create an overabundance of cells and even after viruses are killed, the T2 cells don't turn off and they begin attacking friendly tissues.  Without the T1s to balance this all out, we wind up with autoimmunity which creates a variety of problems, like food intolerances, arthritis, lupus, restless leg syndrome, thyroid disfunction, pancreas disfunction and many more.  This seriously weakens the body and makes it nearly impossible to absorb any new nutrients properly so everything just continues to cycle downwards until the body just crashes or has an immune system breakdown.

The way to change this is to make sure that you are feeding your T1 cells.  They need Omega 3 fats (nothing hydrogenated and no soy).

Natural sources of Omega 3 fats include:  Avacodoes, Walnuts, Walnut Oil, Fish Oil, Salmon, Scallops, Halibut, Shrimp, Snapper, Tofu, Squash, Herring, Mackerel, Anchovies, Sardines, Tuna, Chia, Perilla, Purslane, Lingonberry, Hemp, Krill, Krill Oil, Animal Fat (grass fed has higher fat content), Lamb (even commercial lamb is generally grass fed and is reputed to be one of the best meat sources), Dairy (grass fed has higher fat content), MicroAlgae(Crypthecodinium cohnii and Schizochytrium), Brown Algae and Acai(Palm Fruit)

Something to add to the overall health is to avoid antibiotics, oral contraceptives and NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, Naproxyn, etc), and chlorinated water.  These all kill the helpful bacteria in the gut which help to fight candida which contributes to leaky gut syndrome which also contributes to autoimmune disfunction and food intolerances.  These bacteria also help the body to fight many other illness such as strep, staph, ecoli, salmonella and many other microbial illnesses.  If your gut is already damaged, then treatment for candida and leaky gut syndrome would be in order.  The LGS thread has a complete breakdown of symptoms and treatments, including dietary changes and references to help with this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:43:17 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:22 PM »
Wow! I really enjoyed reading HB's description.

My children were picking up EVERYTHING this past Fall and Winter.

Something that has worked really good for us is ACF by Buried Treasure. ACF is acute cold and flu. They have a kid's version and I started giving it to my older child one week out of the month to boost her immune system and it has worked! I don't remember the last time that she was sick. My baby has picked up a couple of colds but due to advice on this site they lasted only a few days. When he got the colds, I started her on the ACF as a precaution and she never got the cold.

With Fall approaching and more "bugs" being around, we will see if it works then! 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 05:27:47 AM »
For you technically minded readers, here's the article where I got my info.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/immune_restoration.html

excerpt

Healthy mucus membranes are a first line of defense against pathogens (i.e. HIV, HHV-6A, papilloma, herpes, hepatitis etc.) and foreign proteins.  Incompletely digested foods as well as toxins from putrefying bacteria and parasites results from

1.     Faulty digestion

2.     Leaky gut syndrome

3.     Yeast, parasites and putrefying bacterial overgrowth

4.     The integrity of the mucus membranes themselves. The mucus membranes in the mouth, colon and vagina are a common route for the transmission of viruses like HIV, HHV-6A, papilloma virus, herpes and hepatitis.  Belyakov et al at the National Cancer Institute reports “We conclude that protection against GI mucosal challenge not only is CTL (Th-1) mediated but also requires local mucosal CTL at the site of challenge....We also found surprising persistence not only of memory CTL in the mucosa but also of protective immunity against mucosal viral challenge.”  The article also reported that IL-12 supported the CTL mucosal response (J. Clin Invest 1998;102(12):2072-81).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 05:41:07 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:03:40 AM »
Wow! I really enjoyed reading HB's description.

My children were picking up EVERYTHING this past Fall and Winter.

Something that has worked really good for us is ACF by Buried Treasure. ACF is acute cold and flu. They have a kid's version and I started giving it to my older child one week out of the month to boost her immune system and it has worked! I don't remember the last time that she was sick. My baby has picked up a couple of colds but due to advice on this site they lasted only a few days. When he got the colds, I started her on the ACF as a precaution and she never got the cold.

With Fall approaching and more "bugs" being around, we will see if it works then! 

ACF (Acute Cold and Flu) is really amazing stuff, but WOW does it taste bad!!! I hope the kids version is easier to swallow! We used it last winter too, but I'd rather chew raw garlic.  :-X

HB's research on the Omega oils is really amazing stuff... it's like the secret of life. As we study this subject, it just gets more amazing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 09:08:12 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
Yes, my husband has told me how terrible ACF tastes. I have yet to try it but will soon before a trip because I am no longer breastfeeding!

BUT I do have to say that my three year old daughter loves it! Why? Because I give it to her straight in undiluted juice first thing in the morning when I want her to take it! She loves it because she does not normally get undiluted juice.

My husband would take it in orange juice and he said that helped!

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:01:23 AM »
Could you please elaborate on ACF. I am interested, what exactly is it? where do you get it?  Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but could not find the info. anywhere.  Thanks for your help.
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:00:42 AM »
Could you please elaborate on ACF. I am interested, what exactly is it? where do you get it?  Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but could not find the info. anywhere.  Thanks for your help.

Sorry! I just saw this. This site is so busy that I sometimes miss these.

ACF or Acute Cold and Flu is made by Buried Treasure and I get mine at my health food store. If you do a search online you will also find it on several sites. They have an adult and kid version.

My son got a nasty cold last week and I started the rest of the family on it. I think that my daughter and I have been fighting it - some symptoms but not severe and not as many as him. IMO it is not good tasting stuff. BUT drinking it in orange or pear juice it really masks the taste. I could not imagine taking it straight. So far I have seen the benefits in our family so it is worth it.

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 02:45:23 AM »
laurenvc, thanks for the help, I will certainly tuck this away for future reference.
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 06:28:56 AM »
An amazing immune boosting combo is Propolis, Vit. C and Garlic.  My hubby has started to come down with a bad bug two times this year.  (He is prone to sinus infections and colds.)  He has always taken Vit. C and Garlic before and while it helps it isn't as unbelievably impressive as when he added Proprolis!  Propolis and Vit. C totally killed both bugs before they really got started.  I have used this combination a couple of times myself since he has and had similarly amazing results.   :)
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 04:37:43 PM »
An amazing immune boosting combo is Propolis, Vit. C and Garlic. My hubby has started to come down with a bad bug two times this year. (He is prone to sinus infections and colds.) He has always taken Vit. C and Garlic before and while it helps it isn't as unbelievably impressive as when he added Proprolis! Propolis and Vit. C totally killed both bugs before they really got started. I have used this combination a couple of times myself since he has and had similarly amazing results. :)

Steph --
Can you use the propolis for children? What would the dosage be?

My son got a nasty cold and it developed into an ear infection and right before bed tonight my daughter told me that her ear hurt. I am always looking for new ways to boost the immune system. 

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
I am sure that this information is weaved throughout this site somewhere, but by time I get this all read while still trying to be a homeschooling mom of four it will be spring.  We haven't been studying or trying to live a natural healthy life for very long, only about a year and it has been a progression.  My question is how do you keep the crud, the croup, the stomach flu, etc. away?  Last winter I had two of my children abulanced to the hospital with severe croup symptoms with two separate bouts of croup going through our family.  It seemed like the kids were constantly sick with something.  We would all take our turns being sick and we wouldn't even get totally through the cycle and someone was dragging some other crud in.  Combine this with my youngest daughter having two cleft lip/palate surgeries......it was exhausting and expensive.  Not to mention that it ripped my heart out to watch my children suffer.  Watching paramedics work over your kid in an ambulance is a horrible experience.
  Since then, we bought our own dairy cow.  We drink raw milk, yogurt etc. We have cut way back on sugar (Although, my 7 year old still looks longingly at the Cocoa Puffs as we walk past the cereal isle in the store. :D) I have eliminated processed foods and make most everything from scratch.  What I do buy is organic.  We raise our own beef and chicken.  We drink kefir.  We take a whole food vitamin and mineral supplement, acidophiles, vit. C, and cod liver oil.  I really am not looking to take a ton of supplements because I don't think God told Adam and Eve to stop by aisle 3 in Eden to pick up their 14 pill supplements, but I also know they didn't have sin then and pesticides, hormone laden meat, or junkfood then either.  But we are coming down to the cold/flu season now and quite frankly, I am nervous.  I don't want to go through that again.  And, Emma, my youngest, is scheduled for another operation in Nov. and must be healthy.  Did I prepare my kids enough?  Should I consider some sort of cleanse for our family?  Emma woke up the last  few mornings with a stuffy nose and cough which I have been warding off with an echinacia plus drops I found at the health food store.  They normally work great, but this seems to be sticking with her.  She is not very sick, but I am concerned about when the big bugs come knocking at our door.  So, to summarize this, what do you do to keep the crud away and if you get the general crud, what do you do?   
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »
Eat a lot of garlic!!!  I double or triple the amount in every recipe, and we eat it every chance we get!  This is cheap, healthy, and should help keep the crud at bay! 

:)

Offline bendeleboysmama

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 11:51:07 AM »
Croup is a very scary thing, My boys seemed to be prone to it, that is until I started the garlic oil.  Anytime they get an inkling of a cold, I rub garlic oil on thier chests and feet.  I also have them take lavender or ginger baths-relaxation and ginger helps circulation.  I have them take garlic internally around the clock.  (Kyolic liquid garlic)  The last 2 colds they have both been croup free!  We are going through our diet and cleansing from parasites and yeast starting October 2nd! I'm excited for this, as I feel their immunities have been a little compromised from being sick from croup so often.  You sound like you are on the up and up!  Good luck and our prayers are with your daughter during her surgery. 

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »
mybabyjadon,
I would use goot on your baby's feet and nurse your baby as much as you can!! 

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 02:44:39 AM »
You'll have to explain to me what goot is.  Sorry, I guess I am clueless.   ::)  I wish I could nurse my baby, Emma.  But, since her cleft was so severe, we couldn't.  We tried and tried and I pumped and pumped.  Eventually, I about fell over from exhaustion and she went on formula, then goat's milk, and now she drinks raw cow's milk with the rest of us and eats everything.  I wish I could do more for her, because she is such a shrimp (but not in a skinny way, just proportionally small).  I just don't know what it would be.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 06:04:27 AM »
You'll have to explain to me what goot is.  Sorry, I guess I am clueless.   ::)  I wish I could nurse my baby, Emma.  But, since her cleft was so severe, we couldn't.  We tried and tried and I pumped and pumped.  Eventually, I about fell over from exhaustion and she went on formula, then goat's milk, and now she drinks raw cow's milk with the rest of us and eats everything.  I wish I could do more for her, because she is such a shrimp (but not in a skinny way, just proportionally small).  I just don't know what it would be.
I know exactly how you feel.  I had to give up nursing my babies early too.  Don't fret, keep doing the best you can and God will bless the rest.  ;D

Here's the link for Goot.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 07:56:47 AM »
Thanks for the link............mmmm......makes me hungry for lasagna and garlic bread.   :)  Can I just make garlic bread for supper tonight and just rub her's on her feet first?  She ends us wearing most of her food anyway.  Just kidding!  Will it absorb as well if she just smears it all over her head and face??? ;D  Seriously though, I will try it as soon as I get some coconut oil.  thanks for the info

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
I wish I could do more for her, because she is such a shrimp (but not in a skinny way, just proportionally small).

I have a itty-bitty-girly, too.  All my girls seem to be more feminine than I am in their looks, but my Jo is tiny on top of it.  I nursed her as long as the others, fed her the same as the others and Jo is just a 'stick'.  (In fact, that's Daddy's name for her.)  I don't know where she got it, but she is proportionally right, just little.  

And the tiny splinter of sentimental that I do have hopes she finds a nice, big guy to simply adore her and carry her across the house, giggling all the way.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
Croup is a very scary thing, My boys seemed to be prone to it, that is until I started the garlic oil.  Anytime they get an inkling of a cold, I rub garlic oil on thier chests and feet.  I also have them take lavender or ginger baths-relaxation and ginger helps circulation.  I have them take garlic internally around the clock.  (Kyolic liquid garlic)  The last 2 colds they have both been croup free!  We are going through our diet and cleansing from parasites and yeast starting October 2nd! I'm excited for this, as I feel their immunities have been a little compromised from being sick from croup so often.  You sound like you are on the up and up!  Good luck and our prayers are with your daughter during her surgery. 

GArlic oil???   Please tell me more (where to get it ect.)  My son gets the croup a lot!!!  And following the croup he gets a cough that last's a few weeks- He is 2 years old---I thought they are suppose to outgrow this stuff!!!  His pediatricion says there is nothing to do to prevent croup and I am just not willing to accept  that!!! I have garlic oil drops for the ears and it has helped so much with ear infections but never heard of the oil to rub on your body,do they just smell wonderful???The cough that he gets is real congested sounding,and with the coming flu months I am not looking forward to sick kids!!!Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I have both my children on good vit.ectThanks and God bless! Berthday

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 04:33:33 AM »
Thanks for the link............mmmm......makes me hungry for lasagna and garlic bread.   :)  Can I just make garlic bread for supper tonight and just rub her's on her feet first?  She ends us wearing most of her food anyway.  Just kidding!  Will it absorb as well if she just smears it all over her head and face??? ;D  Seriously though, I will try it as soon as I get some coconut oil.  thanks for the info

it is possible to make this without the coco oil, if you are not expecting it to be antifungal.  thought you might be able to do it sooner this way. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 04:37:19 AM »

GArlic oil???   Please tell me more (where to get it ect.)  My son gets the croup a lot!!!  And following the croup he gets a cough that last's a few weeks- He is 2 years old---I thought they are suppose to outgrow this stuff!!!  His pediatricion says there is nothing to do to prevent croup and I am just not willing to accept  that!!! I have garlic oil drops for the ears and it has helped so much with ear infections but never heard of the oil to rub on your body,do they just smell wonderful???The cough that he gets is real congested sounding,and with the coming flu months I am not looking forward to sick kids!!!Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I have both my children on good vit.ectThanks and God bless! Berthday

look above in this thread, for HB's post about GOOT.  rub it all over the neck, back, chest and bottoms of feet.  or just steep garlic in warm olive oil for a few min, check it on yourself to make sure it won't burn, and use the same way.  i have done this for many colds, ear inf., etc. with great results!  my son has never been to the dr. since his 4 mo. "well" baby visit.  and my 3 year old for 2 years.  i am jazzed about garlic!   ;D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »
Okay, I haven't read this entire thread.... I just want to share what helped me.  Two days ago I came down with a cold (tired, coughing, runny nose, sneezing, feeling icky).

So, yesterday I drank Immune Booster Tea (from BulkHerbStore), RoseHip Vit C (from Beeyoutiful), Immune tablets (from Beeyoutiful) and act a few cloves of garlic (I couldn't taste anything).

Today I have NO COLD SYMPTOMS!

Amazing!

I have continued to drink the tea, drink lots of water, and take the Vit C.

Cool Huh?

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 04:35:20 AM »
Okay, you've been hovering around this site for a little while now. You've learned just enough to make you good and scared for the safety of your family.

Now, Thanksgiving is looming and you just KNOW that Aunt Martha is going to hug all over your kids even though she getting over some infection with a cough. Your nieces/nephews will all have runny noses and be playing with your kids. Not to mention the family pet that will lick your little one in the mouth. That's all BEFORE you get to the table laden with preservatives, coloring agents, processed sugar, cured meats, nitrates, nitrites and who knows what else? Even if no one contracts an illness, you know it will take at least a couple of days to recover from all of that STUFF! What should you do? Wear masks and gloves? Take your own food? Decline all invitations?

Well, we face the same things at our house. Often, the crew comes to us (not this year) so there's no way of avoiding all of the above. The reality is that even if we never attended another family get together, we still have to face the crowds on a regular basis. Rather than hide away at Thanksgiving, this is what we do.

On Monday before Thanksgiving (3 days before the event), I dose everyone with some Immune Booster Tincture 3x day. You can purchase this from the Bulk Herb Store. If you don't have that, a little fresh chopped garlic will do the trick (and it might keep the family pet from licking them in the face). I'll probably give them a vitamin C supplement, but not enough to give them loose bowels. I'll also treat them for these three days with a special desert dish that is one of my secret weapons. I don't have a name for it, but I'll share the recipe with you so that you might be able to relax and enjoy your Thanksgiving this year.

Combine the following in a bowl
(this is a MUST for breakfast before any large celebration meal):

1 cup Kefir – provides beneficial bacteria and lactic acid to the digestive tract, guarding against infectious illness and assisting in digestion.
½ cup frozen wild blueberries – an outstanding source of manganese which promotes healthy metabolism, helps form bone, involved in blood clotting and effective use of insulin. Also a good source of antioxidants.
1 tbsp flax seeds – Low in phytic acid, don’t require soaking when eaten in small amounts. Rich source of omega-3 fatty acids
½ to 1 tsp cinnamon – Stimulates the digestive juices, has antiseptic properties, helps regulate blood sugar
Agave nectar to taste – Made from the juice of the agave plant. Has a low glycemic index and won’t have a major impact on blood sugar

Let sit for about 5 to 10 minutes to allow the good bacteria to feed on the contents of the bowl and multiply.

Enjoy!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 04:43:33 AM »
Can I blend for a smoothie after it sits for 5 min.?  Sounds yummy, where to get the agave nectar?? I think I've seen it in the Ethnic foods section?

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 08:06:16 AM »
Can I blend for a smoothie after it sits for 5 min.?  Sounds yummy, where to get the agave nectar?? I think I've seen it in the Ethnic foods section?

I don't see any problem with that. It should do fine. Our kefir is sometimes thick, so it is nice eaten in this dish with a spoon. I purchase my agave nectar (organic) from our local health food store.

Oh, BTW, I would blend it first and then let it sit. That would be my preference -- not some hard fast rule.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 09:51:46 AM »
Bump (see reply #24 above)
Did everyone remember to start boosting their immune systems in preparation for family get togethers?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 11:48:23 AM »
Did everyone remember to start boosting their immune systems in preparation for family get togethers?
We do that daily.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
On Monday before Thanksgiving (3 days before the event), I dose everyone with some Immune Booster Tincture 3x day. You can purchase this from the Bulk Herb Store.

How many cups of Immune Booster tea does that equal?

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 01:50:29 PM »
We do that daily.  ;)
NOTE: The Immune Booster Tincture I use from the BHS has echinacea and is not for daily use, only when exposed to illness or starting to show symptoms. If used daily, the effectiveness is diminished.

How many cups of Immune Booster tea does that equal?

I don't know as I've never used it in that application. ??? :-\