Author Topic: Herbalist to apprentice with  (Read 10251 times)

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
Herbalist to apprentice with
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »
I graduated from the School of Natural Healing in 2006 with a Master Herbalist Certificate. I really want to continue my education and would like to find a Christian herbalist and or nutritionist to apprentice with. Many of the professional herbalist I know of are involved in questionable therapies and/or the occult. I thought perhaps someone on this forum would know of a godly herbalist who would welcome an apprentice. I am looking for a work study experience. I already have experience in managing an herb shop and teaching classes but am wanting more clinical experience. I live in South East Pennsylvania but would be happy to apprentice anywhere in the world. Thank you in advance for any helpful leads you can provide.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: Herbalist to apprentice with
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
I hope you can find someone. I would love it if there was more herbalist info out there by Christians and not those with weird information and practises. If you find someone or some site please let us know. :)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
I graduated from the School of Natural Healing in 2006 with a Master Herbalist Certificate. I really want to continue my education and would like to find a Christian herbalist and or nutritionist to apprentice with. Many of the professional herbalist I know of are involved in questionable therapies and/or the occult. I thought perhaps someone on this forum would know of a godly herbalist who would welcome an apprentice. I am looking for a work study experience. I already have experience in managing an herb shop and teaching classes but am wanting more clinical experience. I live in South East Pennsylvania but would be happy to apprentice anywhere in the world. Thank you in advance for any helpful leads you can provide.

My naturepath in Tigard, Oregon is a very solid christian, steers totally clear of the voodoo stuff and might be willing to take on someone.  He is not necessarily an "herbalist" per se.  He is a family naturepath but very good.  YHe does use herbs and supplements to treat people.  You can google "Rob Dramov ND Oregon" and you'll find his contact info.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
Thanks, I checked the website out and he looks like a great doctor. Not quite what I'm looking for, my goal is to use the simplest of medicine, herbs from my garden or a clients backyard to address their families health issues. I do a little of this as people ask me, but I want to learn from someone else. Surely there is someone out there somewhere. Leads of all types are wanted. Thanks for telling me about your doctor. I sat in during patient visits with a Doctor in Lancaster City and learned a lot, your doctor sounds similar. What kind of diagnostic tools does he use? I will keep his name in my files. Thanks again. Also being a single young lady I would favor a lady to apprentice with.

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Some Christian Herbalists:

Carla: http://www.carlalynne.blogspot.com/ Hasn't updated her blog in more than a year but her email is on there.

Cheri: http://www.sweethollowfarm.com/page/page/2926411.htm

Shonda Parker: http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/  

Jessie Hawkins: http://vintageremedies.com/vr/

I don't that any of these herbalists are looking for apprentices but they are christians.

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Thanks for the links. I knew about Shonda and Jessie but not the others. Nice to know I'm not the only one out there. Still looking for a Christian herbalist who has clients they meet face to face. Can't really sit in on online consultations. I'm going to start Shonda's course next month. At the moment dreaming of starting my own herbal study program for local Christian girls. There are lots of correspondence programs, which are helpful but "hands on" is what I want to offer.

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
 You definitely aren't the only one out there. ;) Starting a local apprenticeship is a great idea! Go for it!
 Shonda's course is a really excellent choice. It was also put you in touch with other Christian herbalists.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
I so wish I could have known and learned from someone like Tommie Bass (he died some time in the late 90's) and learned "real life" herbalism. I am trying hard to learn to identify medicinal plants in the wild (if yards and roadsides near ATL can be considered "the wild" --LOL!). But right now I feel like I have enough knowledge to be dangerous. Ya' know, just enough to start feeling a little confidence, but not enough to keep my family alive if they had only me to rely on.

And to tell you the truth, if I could learn from someone like Mr. Bass and they were not a Christian, as long as they were not into witchcraft, I'd probably do it. Eat the meat, and spit out the bones. =D

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline naturalhealthinwi@yahoo.c

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 12:18:57 PM »
I am a Second Generation Herbalist and Certified Herbalist, as well as Certified Natural Health Practitioner.  I was trained clinically and work in a clinical setting, though I do not treat people because our state will only allow treatment of any kind by acredited state liscensed professions and there is no state liscensing for herbalists in WI.  So, I simply educate people on natural health options, herbs, theories, and also provide coaching and natural health counseling, and classes. 

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I ran across your post doing an internet search for "Christian Herbalists" after being frustrated about how hard it is to find other herbalists who do not use herbalism itself as a religion, or who practice cultism and call it herbalism.  I'd be happy to network with you or any other herbalists who respect christian values.   

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I ran across your post doing an internet search for "Christian Herbalists" after being frustrated about how hard it is to find other herbalists who do not use herbalism itself as a religion, or who practice cultism and call it herbalism.  I'd be happy to network with you or any other herbalists who respect christian values.   

Welcome NaturalHealthinwi!  I've sure enjoyed the fellowship here, and have learned a lot...though most of us are 'just' housefraus with not as much experience as you have.  ;D  We'd love to have you as an herbal buddy here on WTM!  I think there's some really good info on this site from all of our field testing. ;)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline naturalhealthinwi@yahoo.c

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
my pleasure.  looking forward to hearing from you all.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »

Welcome NaturalHealthinwi!  I've sure enjoyed the fellowship here, and have learned a lot...though most of us are 'just' housefraus with not as much experience as you have.  ;D  We'd love to have you as an herbal buddy here on WTM!  I think there's some really good info on this site from all of our field testing. ;)

What she said!!!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline GenaA

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 08:03:06 AM »
Hi Herbalist!  Just wondering if you have found the work you were looking for?  I know it's about 2 years later  ::)  but I know a wonderful female Christian herbalist in Mississippi who sees clients (and even visits a few in other cities).  In case you are still interested, her info is as follows:

Lois Weeks
Sunshine Valley
1102 Beulah Ave.
Tylertown, MS
(601) 876-3389