Author Topic: Teeth whitening  (Read 13940 times)

anonymous

Teeth whitening
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:50:18 AM »
I am new at posting on this board, but I have been reading on here for a few months and have found it very informative and interesting. 

I am a happily married mother of a 2 yrs old and 7 mo old.  I hope to learn a lot more from this site.  The only reason I am signing on as anonymous is because I have several family members that visit this site regularly and I would hate to ask something very personal and it be the topic of discussion at our next Sunday dinner table.  :P

My question is, do any of you know of a good/healthy way for whitening teeth?  I appreciate your help. 

:)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:05:51 AM by anonymous »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Teet whitening
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:05:45 AM »
Fresh baking soda directly on a toothbrush.  Tastes really gross, but works.  I think you have to do it everyday for awhile to notice a difference.

Offline Julia

• Master
Re: Teeth whitening
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 09:01:06 AM »
Baking soda isn't like those Pearl Drops they used to sell, though, is it? I heard it just scours the stains off your teeth, like Comet, so sooner or later you won't have any enamel left!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »
The juice of a strawberry is supposed to whiten teeth.  I have tried this a couple of times and noticed a little difference.  I think you need to do it for several days in succession to notice a real difference.
Also, you can make a paste out of baking soda and peroxide.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »
I use an herbal/organic/non-fluoride toothpaste from the health food store called Kiss My Face!! It's great tasting, too!! Check it out at KissMyFace.com

:-*
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
Hydrogen Peroxide
  My favorite herb book!!

anonymous

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 07:46:16 AM »
Thank you all for your help.  On the Hydrogen Peroxide, do you just swish it around in your mouth, or how exactly do you use that?   I'll try both the Peroxide and the Baking Soda, surely something will work. ;D

Thanks again!! :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »
Thank you all for your help.  On the Hydrogen Peroxide, do you just swish it around in your mouth, or how exactly do you use that?   I'll try both the Peroxide and the Baking Soda, surely something will work. ;D

Thanks again!! :)
Put about a teaspoon (small sip) in your mouth and brush your teeth.  It's a bit runnier than toothpaste, but it foams alot so it's not too bad. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 01:12:12 AM »
I dont know if it scours off the enamal or not.... I have been using baking soda on and off for years and years, my teeth are fine, in fact all the children in my family had braces on our teeth when we were young, if we did not get our teeth brushed perfect before wed go to the dentist we would quick brush very tourghly with baking soda,,, fooled him every time, hee

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:32:49 PM »
If you take a small container and mix baking soda and peroxide you get Mentadent, the most expensive toothpaste in these parts.  It was recommended to me by my dentist.  You can make about a half a cup and keep a lid on it and just dip your toothbrush into it.  I like the taste.  You can also add a little spearmint oil or cinnamon oil if you want to. 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
If you take a small container and mix baking soda and peroxide you get Mentadent, the most expensive toothpaste in these parts.  It was recommended to me by my dentist.  You can make about a half a cup and keep a lid on it and just dip your toothbrush into it.  I like the taste.  You can also add a little spearmint oil or cinnamon oil if you want to. 
How about some dried peppermint leaf?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »
Yum! 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

anonymous

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 10:06:17 AM »
Thank you everyone.  You all have been a great help!  Now I just have to figure out a way to get my hubby to think it's a great thing to try. :-\

Thanks again.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
I have been brushing my teeth w/ Baking soda for 10 days or so and they feel soooo clean! I don't know if they are getting whiter but they feel clean!!!!!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

anonymous

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 08:09:50 AM »
I have been using the Baking Soda and I agree, my teeth feel SO clean!!  My DH  even tried it and likes it, too.   Do any of you use ONLY Baking Soda to brush your teeth, or do you still use regular tooth paste in addition to the Baking Soda.   My DH thought maybe the Baking Soda wouldn't kill all the germs like tooth paste would, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 08:54:02 AM »
I use only baking soda most days.  I keep forgetting to buy hydrogen peroxide.  :(  I use the juice from a strawberry about once a week.  I am not convinced that I want to kill all the "germs" in my mouth.  :o  What I mean is, if I kill off all the good stuff what is going to take it's place?  I think it is similar to the antibiotics in the intestines thing.  We kill them all off and then are left depleted.  Anyway, I quit using toothpaste some time ago and have been using other things.  When we go to the States on furlough I will buy some non-fluoride toothpaste to bring back here.

Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 02:15:33 PM »
make a baking soda paste ( mixing it with water) and a add micro amount of peppermint oil to it for a minty tooth whitening home made past.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »
A few years back I read a book that was written, anonymously, by a dentist. He said you don't really even need toothpaste; the toothbrush does all the work. Then just rinse with a solution of baking soda, salt and water to get rid of plaque (it kills the germs that cause plaque). He said he does not recommend baking soda to brush with because it is too abrasive and will wear-out your enamel. He also said that teeth, like any bone, will heal and so most cavities don't need to be filled. If you keep them cleaned out, and keep the germs in your mouth under control, they will fill back in with new bone and enamel.This actually happened with my husband --a cavity completely healed and filled back in. The dentist couldn't find it again. (Can you see why the author didn't want his colleagues to find out who he was?)

But, personally, I use a fluoride-free gel toothpaste. And sometimes, when I'm in a hurry, nothing but water. Then very occasionally I brush with baking soda and rinse with salt water (especially when I think I may be getting sick and want to kill germs).

WR
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:36:30 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »
make a baking soda paste ( mixing it with water) and a add micro amount of peppermint oil to it for a minty tooth whitening home made past.

I got a new coffee grinder for my birthday awhile back.   I used it to grind some mint leaves and mix with baking soda to brush my teeth with.  Sometimes I put it in a small bowl and mix with peroxide and others I just wet my brush and dip it in the mixed powder.  I like both very well and my teeth are white and clean.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 04:54:17 AM »
Thats a great idea. I have some mint plants but never thought of crushing the leaves up to put in the baking soda  :). It would sure save on money since buying the oils tend to cost a lot.

I think I will try that. Thank you  :)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 06:07:28 AM »
A few years back I read a book that was written, anonymously, by a dentist. He said you don't really even need toothpaste; the toothbrush does all the work.

He also said that teeth, like any bone, will heal and so most cavities don't need to be filled. If you keep them cleaned out, and keep the germs in your mouth under control, they will fill back in with new bone and enamel.

I am very interested in the book.  Do you have a title?

Did it say if a cavity could heal itself if it has already been filled, and is coming back under the filling? 

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 06:34:55 AM »
I tried really hard to remember the title when I was writing that post and I just couldn't. I think pregnancy-brain is to blame. :) But if I remember it sometime later I will post it for you.
Sorry,
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 07:19:10 AM »
A few years back I read a book that was written, anonymously, by a dentist. He said you don't really even need toothpaste; the toothbrush does all the work.
I tried this and my teeth still felt cruddy.  Sometimes, I use only peroxide, but I use the baking soda daily and have had no problems.  I've also been using Sensodyne for 15 years or more due to having overly sensitive teeth.  Since I switched from toothpaste to baking soda, I've had no more problems.
  My favorite herb book!!

KD

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »
One of my herbal books says lemon essential oil "whitens stained teeth".

JoyInHim

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 11:18:04 AM »
We grew up using baking soda to whiten.  I -do- have sensitive teeth.....maybe that is too much abrasion?

I have used peroxide & soda, wet the brush and dip in soda, to whiten.  Somewhat effective.

Dentist recommended one round of Crest strips and WOW.  Well worth the $20.  It took off the decades of coffee and tea!  Am told to use one or two strips here or there to keep white.    Am also told not to do set after set after set - it does weaken the teeth.

Super over white teeth are rather a pet peeve of mine, anyhoo  ::)

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 01:48:09 AM »
We grew up using baking soda to whiten.  I -do- have sensitive teeth.....maybe that is too much abrasion?

I have used peroxide & soda, wet the brush and dip in soda, to whiten.  Somewhat effective.

Dentist recommended one round of Crest strips and WOW.  Well worth the $20.  It took off the decades of coffee and tea!  Am told to use one or two strips here or there to keep white.    Am also told not to do set after set after set - it does weaken the teeth.

Did you notice if your teeth felt more sensitive after you used the Crest strips? I am thinking I will use them once and then take care of them better by brushing with a baking soda, peroxide, lemon mixture...

We watched our wedding video the other night and my husband commented on how nice and white my teeth were :-[

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »

Did you notice if your teeth felt more sensitive after you used the Crest strips? I am thinking I will use them once and then take care of them better by brushing with a baking soda, peroxide, lemon mixture...

One of my peeves, too. It looks kind of like a computer-retouched model's smile, IMHO. Or would that be not-so-humble? ;)

Does anyone know of any research that shows whether or not the whiting strips are truly safe? Since I've had braces, I hate to do anything to weaken my teeth.

I just use the baking soda plain at night (regular toothpaste in the am) because I'm too chicken to try the peppermint oil. But the last time I went to the dentist, the hygenist did compliment me on how clean my teeth were. So I can say that the soda is effective.

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

JoyInHim

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 04:53:30 AM »
We have a dentist this honest!  ;D

He has said, however, that a cavity that is only going into the enamel (and not yet beyond) can repair itself.  Once it gets below enamel level, the tooth is very soft (comparatively) and decays very quickly.

He has pointed out enamel cavities in our children and in myself.  One was in a front tooth - a small pit in the enamel.  He told me if I kept it very clean for many months, it would heal over with hard enamel and wouldn't require filling (or compromising a front tooth by drilling).  It did.

The way he decides is whether or not it feels 'sticky' with the tool.  Once it goes beyond the enamel, it is sticky and needs filling, or it will quickly rot the tooth.

You really cannot get beyond keeping those teeth flossed and clean daily!

He also said that teeth, like any bone, will heal and so most cavities don't need to be filled. If you keep them cleaned out, and keep the germs in your mouth under control, they will fill back in with new bone and enamel.This actually happened with my husband --a cavity completely healed and filled back in. The dentist couldn't find it again. (Can you see why the author didn't want his colleagues to find out who he was?)

JoyInHim

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 05:02:22 AM »
Not really.  It's been a few years. 

But sensitive teeth can be easily helped at home.

I have had sensitive teeth on and off however, over the years.  My dentist has me use Sensidyne or similar, when needed.  What is even more helpful, however, is just rinsing (once!) with ACT or similar.  It amazes me.  Floss & brush, then rinse for one minute and don't drink for a half hour.  My teeth are good for months, even using regular (gritty) tooth paste.  ACT fills in the tiny cracks in the teeth that let cool air in, and cause sensitivity.  It prevents plaque/decay, too.  We use maybe 2 bottles a year around our house - not much.  My dentist has told us, to have the kids do this once in a while, since we do not do flouride treatments (costly). 

Lemon is NOT recommended - it quickly erodes enamel!

So does Pepsi and Coke.  If you drink them, do not brush for 30 min. after - your teeth are softer than normal right after drinking.

If you enjoy tea - make it Jasmine green tea.  It is loaded with natural flourine, from my reading.   The Jasmine is an aphrodiasic, too  ;D  That should convince your dh you are still tooth-worthy!  ;D

We watched our wedding video the other night and my husband commented on how nice and white my teeth were :-[

Offline Jess99

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Ok, here's what i do for my teeth - I brush with my favorite toothpaste (http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/home/natural-protection/dentarome-plus-toothpaste) first (after flossing of course), then after rinsing well, with my finger I spread some activated charcoal all over the front of my teeth. I let that sit while I wash my face, etc. before bed. Then rinse well, and brush lightly afterword with baking soda. It works very well!