Author Topic: moldy popcorn, what shoud I do?  (Read 8111 times)

Offline servantgirl

  • Adept
  • Posts: 219
moldy popcorn, what shoud I do?
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
Hi
I was recently blessed to find a 25lb bag of popcorn at a sale for a dollar. The bag is a paper package and it was in a plastic tote. However, after getting it home I discovered that it had mold all along the bottom of the bag. The popcorn at that place is obviously no good. I have scooped out some of the popcorn from the top and it looks fine but still has a moldy smell. I spread some out on some towels outside to air out, but I don't know what to do to make it safe. Any ideas?  ???
Thanks!!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline mexmarr

  • Master
  • Posts: 1555
Re: moldy popcorn, what shoud I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:48:49 PM »
I'm sorry to say this, but I think that you should toss it.  25 lbs of popcorn, seems like a lot to throw away, but I am not sure that the the risk is worth it.  Mold can be very dangerous!  I once spent 3 months with no voice from mold exposure, and it was not fun.  I would rather lose my $1 than risk my health and that of my families.

Offline ShabbyChic

  • Master
  • Posts: 1696
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: moldy popcorn, what shoud I do?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:15 AM »
I'd chuck it.  (In case some of y'all aren't from the Southeast USA, that means throw it away.   :D)
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline herbalmom

  • Guru
  • Posts: 3031
Re: moldy popcorn, what shoud I do?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
Pitch it. It's not worth it even if you had paid full price. 

Mycotoxins (myco means mold/fungus) will be throughout the grain & you can't get it out. Mycotoxins are dangerous & DO cause major health problems. I've posted quite a bit about the health problems I have- much of it was caused by mold exposure in a job followed by living in homes with unknown water damage that caused mold. Mold in food is just as much of a problem.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline servantgirl

  • Adept
  • Posts: 219
Re: moldy popcorn, what shoud I do?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »
OK, I guess I'll have to throw it out just to be safe.   :(
But would it be ok to save it and try to plant it ? Would that even be a good idea?
Thanks for helping!
 :)
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.