Author Topic: Dysautonomia and intracranial hypertension  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
Dysautonomia and intracranial hypertension
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »
Anyone out there know about these conditions?  MY uncle has them and is wanting some natural approaches.  any ideas?

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
Re: Dysautonomia and intracranial hypertension
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »
bump

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »
Isaacsmama,
Maybe if you describe the condition in addition to giving the medical names you'd get some good responses.  Even if I've encountered cases of this...I wouldn't remember the technical names. :)  Also, someone may have herbal recommendations based on similar symptoms but not the specific case. KWIM? :)

Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:14 AM »
I dont really know anything about it.  He just asked me to look for natural alternatives.  I know he is on heavy medication for whatever the problem is.  I think he gets seizures a lot too.    Ill see if I can get some better idea of what that all is.

Offline momhome

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
I do not know about Dysautonomia. But I have had Intracranial Hypertension, IH, for 3 2/3yrs now. Most do not know the cause. Some can be traced back to tetracycline or other meds. IH is a build-up of cerebral spinal fluid in the brain. This causes intense pressure which results in many different symptoms. Some people get all of them, some only a few. One may go blind from the optical nerve swelling. Or have blurry or double vision. Most get headaches, of several different types! Some have tinnitinitus, a ringing or whooshing in the ears. Dizziness, nausea, confusion, short- term memory loss, and even blacking-out can happen. As for treatments: The dr.s only offer drugs, which make things worse, or surgery. Natural remedies I have found to help: Hydrogen peroxide therapy or liquid stabilized oxygen, by oxylifeco.com. Also: cardioplus from Standard Process. Possibly dandelion root too, not sure. If lack of sleep is a problem too, try valerian root or melatonin. Hope this helps someone.
God-fearin, homeschoolin, 1800s kinda gal :-]

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »
The layman term for this is either autonomic dysfunction or a malfunction of the nervous system.  Just found out that my 16 yo DD has this.  She's been unwell, no matter what I give her or feed her, for the last couple of years.  We had to pull her out of school and homeschool her again this year bcz she missed SO much school.  We're going to be talking to the neurologist about it next week, but hoping not to have to put her on meds.  I'm hoping someone else may have some insight into this.  The nervous system isn't working well, so it affects all the other body systems that it controls.  She wasn't able to do even 10 minutes of the tilt table test.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:13:16 AM »
Not sure if anyone still reads this, but I have an update on my DD.  Her pediatric neurologist who specializes in dysautonomia is very good.  She sent her for physical therapy bcz she also has coordination issues.  She made her drink at least 8 cups of water a day and take a salt pill to keep it in.  My DD had severe stomache pain and dizziness and sleeplessness.  The symptoms are always worse in the morning, hence the inability to get to school early.  We're still homeschooling too.  Dr. put her on a really low dose of an anti-depressant, BECAUSE they found it helps those symptoms in those patients.  It helped her overnight, even though the dr. said not to be surprised that it doesn't help right away.  She's doing much better.  The dr. also said that she should grow out of it, but we'll have to see.  I haven't found anything natural that really helped those issues (and I really tried), so I'm just glad that they found something that helps and it's a very low dose.