Author Topic: Cooking with Cast Iron  (Read 56593 times)

Offline jenibee

• Adept
Re: Cooking with Cast Iron
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2008, 03:32:28 AM »
umm...here's a technical term - scraper?  :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2008, 03:53:13 AM »
I usually just point at whatever tool I am needing and say to one of the children, "Hand me that . . . auuurrrgggghhh!  Can't think of the name of it!!"   ;D
     Ahhh, memory loss is a marvelous thing. 

I used to use stainless steel scrubber pads on my cast iron but used a nylon scrubbie one day when I couldn't find the ss one.  Now, I only buy the nylon ones 'cuz they work just fine. 

One thing I have found with cleaning cast iron if there is food stuck and you already know your seasoning will be shot is to pour about a 1/2 cup or so of hot water into the very hot pan and then scrape around with the spatula.  This is called deglazing the pan.  Works great to make a nice au jus after frying meat!   But it also loosens all the stuck on stuff and makes cleaning go a bit faster. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2008, 03:59:54 AM »
I use the little brown thing that came with stoneware. No Brush.

love that thing too!   ;D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »
cast iron vs. stainless steel  HELP!

Ok, ladies, please help!  I am going tomorrow to get new pots/pans and skillet as mine all started flaking off (yup, non-stick wedding gfit set that only lasted 3yrs).

SO,
what do you use your cast iron for?
what do you use stainless steel for?

what do you cook spaghetti sauce in?

THANKS!!!

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
I use cast iron for my skillets and my big pans with the 2-3" sides and deepfrying and dutch oven.  I use stainless steel to make soup and rice, anything I have to use a lot of water in.  My sauce pots and my cookie sheets, baking pans stuff like that. 

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »
Hi milmuth!  How's the weather over there?  :D  We are wonderfully vog free right now.
I use my cast iron for lots of things.  Almost everything that doesn't have alot of volume.  Like soups and spaghetti sauce.  For those I use my stainless steel. 
Cast iron is for grilled sandwiches, roasts in the oven, pancakes, browning meat, sauteing veg, you get the idea.  I also use it for my pinapple upside down cake.  We have a large cast iron griddle that stretches over two burners.  That is great for pancakes and I use it for my English muffins too.  Our waffle iron is even cast iron!  :D  That was a wedding gift.
hth
mauimom

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2008, 03:16:41 PM »
thank you ladies!

I have four fahita "plates" that are cast iron that I just started using on the stove for scrambled eggs- will use for pancakes too.  I'm hoping to get a big skillet (or TWO!) for meats/veggies dishes and a few stainless steel pots for sauces.  I'm still learning about how much fat to use when cooking...

mauimom- weather is SOOO nice now  ;D   I can breath again!  (BIG breath of air smiliey goes here!)   :D
do you make your own english muffins, or just brown them on the cast iron?

I"m hoping to increase my collection as I can.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
amazon has a good deal on lodge w/ free shiping after 25...they have a cool combo cooker 3 qt dutch oven w/ a lid that doubles as a 10" fry pan/griddle!!

they say not to boil water in stainless sreel...can i boil water to make rice/oatmeal?

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
Milmuth,
If you choose to use your cast iron for spag. sauce and other tomato based dishes, you will notice that your seasoning has to be replaced more often.  This is because the acid in the sauce eats through the seasoning.  We occasionally do red sauce in a large c/i pot, but more often leave that for the stainless steel.
HTH,
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
amazon has a good deal on lodge w/ free shiping after 25...they have a cool combo cooker 3 qt dutch oven w/ a lid that doubles as a 10" fry pan/griddle!!

they say not to boil water in stainless steel...can i boil water to make rice/oatmeal?

what is the reasoning behind not boiling water in stainless?   i have to say we do that a real lot!  never heard of that before.  thanks for the tip on the deal!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
opps...SORRY  ;D I meant Cast iron ...where's my head?  ??? ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2008, 04:07:32 AM »
I have a cast iron dutch oven and I've never had a problem with boiling water or liquids.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2008, 06:54:44 AM »
I have a cast iron dutch oven and I've never had a problem with boiling water or liquids.

WR

Same with me.   ???    Have to say, though, that I have one skillet and one dutch oven that I use for acidic or liquid foods as they will need to be seasoned (again) after cleaning.  My griddle, big skillet, and big d. oven are used primarily for foods that don't take the seasoning off.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2008, 07:47:31 AM »
I'm glad this thread is active, it's why I logged on this am!

I have one really big CI skillet that I cook my meat in.  I use soap when I wash it.  Do you guys use soap?  I had heard that soap is a no no because it'll take off the seasoning, but if I left meat oil on the skillet...yuck!

How do you clean your skillets when you cook meat or tomato sauce in 'em?
mama of 5

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2008, 07:53:22 AM »
For meat, I just soak it in hot water, then scrape it with my hard plastic scraper to get the little meat bits that have stuck.  Then I just wash with the inside of the skillet with the green (scouring) side of my kitchen sponge.  Everything comes off - especially after it's been seasoned with bacon or sausage.   ;)  I wouldn't worry about 'germs' from the meat, if that's what bothers you - when you reheat the skillet for 5 minutes, it kills any little buggies that might be on it.

Now, for tomato sauce, I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven, so I don't ruin the finish on my straight-up cast iron pans.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
I use the little brown thing that came with stoneware. No Brush.

love that thing too!   

ME TOO!! Thanks for this thread. I have learned a lot and now we know what we need to buy next time we go to TJ Maxx.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
I have a cast iron skillet that is giving me some trouble.  Every time I cook something in it that releases moisture onto the pan all the seasoning starts flaking off when it is washed.  I usually wash with water and a nylon scrub brush.  Then the next time I use it there are little black flakies in the food. 
I seasoned the pan myself with bacon grease two times.  I'm wondering if this is normal?  It doesn't seem like it will ever get that super black smooth surface on it if this keeps happening. 
This morning it happened from sauteing onions and scrambling eggs.
Any help would be great from cast iron veterans.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:26 AM »
Melly,

When one of my cast iron pans start 'flaking' black chips on everything, I assume that this is cooked on crud and treat it as such.  Normally, it's the outside of my pans that get this way. 

My husband takes the worst of them out to the garage and uses a chisel and a wire wheel to take all the crud off and get down to a clean surface.  If it's the inside of the pan that is coated, you may be able to wash it off with a good soaking and a stainless steel scrubber.   Then you can begin the seasoning process again. 

If I am using a pan for something other than frying, like for soups or stews, then the seasoning is usually gone after washing and must be redone each time it's used. 

disclaimer; all of my cast iron is over 25 yrs old.  I know that some of the newer pans are pre-seasoned.  I know nothing about those. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2010, 06:17:30 PM »
Today I posted here http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,21526.90.html about the barium in ceramic glazes.  So, I'm on the hunt for a cast iron dutch oven.  My crockpot went bye bye today. 

I'm looking at a 6qt. cast iron dutch oven.  Pre-seasoned.  No special features other then handles that I can actually grab.  It's $50 from Amazon.  Is this all I need to know about buying it or is there something special I will really want to look for?   

Should I be concerned about pre-seasoning chemicals? 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
Years ago I was looking at some pre seasoned cast iron pans & the label said that they were pre seasoned with food safe paraffin wax. Not exactly what I wanted in my food so I didn't get them.

I just checked & Lodge uses soybean oil to season their pans.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp

"The cast iron is sprayed with a soy-based vegetable oil and then baked on at a very high temperature. The heat allows the oil to penetrate into the iron, creating a black patina finish with superior appearance and performance than home seasoning."

IMO, although soy is better than paraffin I still don't want it in my food so personally I would go with unseasoned pans & season it myself.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »
i have a preseasoned griddle and i hate it.  my home seasoning is much smoother and works better.  animals fats are recommended for the best seasoning and based on my experience, it's true.  i've used olive oil, sesame oil, lard, tallow, coconut oil and even butter.

if you get a preseasoned second hand or something, use the self-cleaning feature on your oven to cook it off and start over.  i've done this as well.  it takes a bit of elbow grease to clean the ash and the rusty residue off after you cook it, but the result is a nice even finish without dings and scratches in the seasoning.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
I'll just go un-seasoned.  My first thought was about the chemicals they were probably using.  thanks!
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
HB.....when you season your pans do you wipe the extra fat out when the bake time is up?  My pans actually are pretty good but I have one that needs to be redone.  In the past after I have baked them they sometimes come out with uneven coatings and I wondered if wiping them out would help that.  Thanks
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:07 AM »
I'm not HB but we (hubby and I) have done that too. I've found that putting on the fat in a *thin* layer, baking, cooling, and then repeating at least one more time, is better than using too much oil the first time and having it bake on in puddles.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
When I've used the one cast iron pan I do have, when I'm done I've always just wiped it with olive oil.  Is that what you're talking about?  It was "seasoned" before I started using it. 

patti

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
HB.....when you season your pans do you wipe the extra fat out when the bake time is up?  My pans actually are pretty good but I have one that needs to be redone.  In the past after I have baked them they sometimes come out with uneven coatings and I wondered if wiping them out would help that.  Thanks
i wipe excess out before i bake and then turn them upside down in the oven.  sometimes i get little grease bubbles, but this is rare if the coating is thin and even to begin with.  it would be tough to wipe after baking because it bakes on the drips.  if it's still wet when you pull it out, it might need to bake longer.

to be honest, i'm very lazy when cleaning my pans, so i use steel or scrubbers or whatever it takes to get the gook off and then i ruin my coating, but i just oil it again and continue on.  if i felt the urge, i'd start over and try to be more dilegent.  it might be wise to season 2 or 3 times before actually using them.  i know with my stones, i have NO problems.  i've seasoned them black and NOTHING sticks to them, but of course i never cook any acid based items on them either (tomatoes, spagetti, etc.)  these acid bases will eat through a good seasoning which is another reason why i'm so lazy about keeping up the perfect seasoned coating.  clear as mud?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2010, 06:57:28 PM »
I'm not HB but we (hubby and I) have done that too. I've found that putting on the fat in a *thin* layer, baking, cooling, and then repeating at least one more time, is better than using too much oil the first time and having it bake on in puddles.

WR
yeah, what she said.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2010, 01:54:56 PM »
Thanks to all...........I have a few pans I need to reseason.  I think I will stick with thin layers.  I have one beautiful pan that I got from my mother and it is so smooth and perfect...........wish they were all like that.  Thanks again.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side