Author Topic: Cooking with Cast Iron  (Read 56153 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Re: Cooking with Cast Iron
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
My dad LOVES cast iron and has a huge collection of it he uses.  He especially likes taking them camping and using them over a good campfire.  ;D  Anyway, he recently gave me a really seasoned skillet and I love it!  I'm wondering WHY IN THE WORLD have I never switched to them before????  With all the toxins my kids have had in them, I'm sure part of it is from using junkie teflon for so many years.  We also pulled out a Lodge dutch oven, brand new in the box that we got 9 years ago when we got married.  I love it too!  haha  My dad is bringing me two more skillets in different sizes.  ;D :D  I use them on my glass top stove and just try to be really careful.  What I'm wondering is, I've been using virgin coconut oil to season them and keep them oiled up, and that's what I always use to cook with.  Anyone know if this is okay??  ???  Seems to work fine, but I just want to make sure.  Thanks!

abbilynn 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2008, 06:15:05 AM »
bump
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:31 AM »
As far as I know coconut oil will not hurt your pans.  Personally, I think animal fats work better for a long lasting seasoning for your pans, but so long as you're comfortable with using coconut oil, I see no reason why you can't.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »
I'm looking into buying some Lodge cast iron pots, it seems to be one of the better brands.  ??? I was looking on the Lehman's site, and it said that Lodge was discontinuing their original (unseasoned) series, and only making the Logic line, which is foundry seasoned. So I'm wondering if the seasoning they use is bad? From what I was able to find, I don't think it is parafin wax that they use, I think it's a vegetable oil blend. Does anyone have any knowledge about it? Would I just be able to reseason it myself? Or would it be a lot of work to do that?
Thanks!  ;D
Edit: The seasoning they use is a vegetable oil electrostatic spray system.  ???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:10:31 AM by smileyface »
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
I'm looking into buying some Lodge cast iron pots, it seems to be one of the better brands.  ??? I was looking on the Lehman's site, and it said that Lodge was discontinuing their original (unseasoned) series, and only making the Logic line, which is foundry seasoned. So I'm wondering if the seasoning they use is bad? From what I was able to find, I don't think it is parafin wax that they use, I think it's a vegetable oil blend. Does anyone have any knowledge about it? Would I just be able to reseason it myself? Or would it be a lot of work to do that?
Thanks!  ;D
Edit: The seasoning they use is a vegetable oil electrostatic spray system.  ???

I wouldn't like having the preseasoned pans, either. If I cook spaghetti sauce in any of my cast iron pans, the seasoning is shot.  Maybe that would work.   :-\

If not, I would try to burn it off; oven, firepit, BBQ grill, gas torch. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »
Just asking for anyone's opinion.  I am looking to buy a cast iron dutch oven from Cabela's. What would be the better option the regular cast iron or the enamel covered cast iron?  Any one can tell me which they prefer? Thanks!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
The enamel is pretty, but I don't have any like that.  I do have some enamelware tin bowls and cups and they have all chipped from being dropped on my tile floors.  Of course, if I dropped the skillet, then the tile would crack :'(

Anyway, I really like the enamel coated ones, but we got ours at Academy for camping and I stole them for the kitchen. ;D

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
 I'd go for the enameled. I LOVE my enameled cast iron dutch oven. If I could get more I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's not any harder to care for than the regular cast iron. In fact, it cleans up easier, and you never have to season it. You just have to be careful about banging your tinsels on the rim (bad habit I had to break) or something like that. They don't chip easily but you can't just beat the snot out of them and expect them to stay pristine. LOL! So far mine is still in great shape and I hope to pass it down to my dd one day.

WR
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:21:33 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »
I have one enamel coated cast iron dutch oven and I love it, too.  I pretty much use both my cast iron and the enameled cast iron pan the same amount, but I love them both.  I like to stir fry and sautee at extremely high temperatures in the plain cast iron.  The enameled is wonderful for just about anything, though.  I agree with WR that you need to take care to NOT bang the spoon on the edge or drop it.  I also heat it slowly rather than starting it right out on high flame on my gas stove.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »
thanks for all the info - I think that I will probably go with the enameled cast iron - it would be interesting to try it and see how I like it.  Do you get the same effect for cornbread and such as you do in the cast iron?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
Well you can't let the enameled stuff get as hot (especially if it's empty at the time) than you can the regular cast iron. I thought I'd mention that since a lot of folks heat their pan in the oven before pouring in the cornbread batter.

So if you are going to be doing a lot of really high heat cooking then you may want a regular cast iron pan.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
what do you consider really high heat cooking?

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »
another question - if you use the porcelain cast iron does that mean you don't get the added benefit of the iron added to your food?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2008, 05:10:56 AM »
I'm not sure what the upward limit is for temp. Anyone have that info?

Yeah, you don't get the extra iron. But I have regular cast iron pans too. And I tend think of iron as something that is fairly easy to get and easy to get too much of so I don't worry about it.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2008, 05:30:23 AM »
another question - if you use the porcelain cast iron does that mean you don't get the added benefit of the iron added to your food?

Right, you don't get iron due to the porcelain coating.  You also don't get leached metals from stainless steel or  -whatever it is- from nonstick coatings.  This is why the porcelain covered cast iron is important to me.  Like WR, we use our cast iron so much that getting enough iron has never been a problem for us.

I don't have the instruction book for the porcelain-coated pan anymore, but I remember when I first got it I read that it should be heated slowly, etc..   I don't know the answer to 'how high is high', I just know that I don't start this pan right off on high flame nor do I use it at temps over 375* or so in the oven. 

I would assume, if you looked at a website for Le Crueset pans, or (I think) Martha Stewart makes some, you might be able to find the information about the temperature limitations.

hth

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2008, 05:49:53 AM »
Thanks. Decisions like this can be hard for me. I want to make sure and get the perfect thing. But I do think that I will go with the porcelain.  I do have cast iron skillets and I think we eat rather healthy so we get iron in other ways. thanks for all the help ladies!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2008, 06:14:22 AM »
Thanks. Decisions like this can be hard for me. I want to make sure and get the perfect thing. But I do think that I will go with the porcelain.  I do have cast iron skillets and I think we eat rather healthy so we get iron in other ways. thanks for all the help ladies!

I view my decisions about cookware as big decisions, too.  They are an investment, both monetarily and in our health.   I struggled and struggled over getting my big enameled dutch oven and finally, my mother asked one day what I wanted for my birthday!   ;D  I told her that I would like to have a pot big enough for two chickens.   So that is what my big pot is -- it's an oval, enamel on cast iron and it will hold 2 small chickens.  It heats evenly like cast iron, so is great for slow cooking on the stovetop.   It also makes a sizeable amount of soup or casseroles and looks beautiful at the table. 
I love my cast iron pans, but there are some things that look better without that 'cast iron coloration', if you know what I mean.  This pan is great for serving something when we have company. 

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »
to those of you who are cast iron buffs what do you know about WagnerWAre - I picked up a griddle at a garage sale that was marked wagner ware Sydney on the bottom and also a skillet that was marked Long Life Skillet. Just wondered if they were good cast iron or not. Thanks!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »
I bought a lovely Wagner Ware cast iron skillet at an auction a year ago. It was very well seasoned and I like it a lot. It probably says Sidney, not Sydney, right? I believe they were made in Sidney, Ohio. Don't know about Long life.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:42 PM »
Ok so i just got some cast iron pans...i know this info is already posted on here cause I just read this thread but everything is kinda scattered so wanting to clarify so I don't ruin my pan. Brand new pre seasoned lodge skillet. I will
-clean it with hot water, rub some oil on it and than cook w/ it...
-clean it JUST with hot water right away and than dry it with a paper towel and re apply some oil to it and put it away.
Does that sound like a good idea. I use coconut oil.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
Ok so i just got some cast iron pans...i know this info is already posted on here cause I just read this thread but everything is kinda scattered so wanting to clarify so I don't ruin my pan. Brand new pre seasoned lodge skillet. I will
-clean it JUST with hot water right away and than dry it with a paper towel and re apply some oil to it and put it away.

even easier than washing and drying, and adding oil, i just wash with a brush and hot water, then dry on a low burner.  they are very well seasoned now and i've never oiled them, just cooked eggs in butter and all kinds of meat in them.  HTH 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »

even easier than washing and drying, and adding oil, i just wash with a brush and hot water, then dry on a low burner.  they are very well seasoned now and i've never oiled them, just cooked eggs in butter and all kinds of meat in them.  HTH 

This is what I do also.  Just wash and set on a low flame to dry.  Sometimes if I see the seasoning has worn down a little because someone scrubbed a little to hard I will put a little oil on it but that is very rare.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2008, 04:03:11 PM »
brush...like what kind of brush? I don't use sponges or scrubies...will it not get clean enough if I don't use a brush? like a bottle brush?

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2008, 05:56:04 AM »
I have a plastic bristled round brush made for washing dishes that I use for my pans. Then I put them on the stove on low, get a paper towel that has some bacon grease on it, and when the drips dry off the pan, I wipe it down with the geasy paper towel. That way all my pans have this lovely shiny black finish on them. I heard it's best to grease them a bit when they're still warm/hot.

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2008, 06:07:38 AM »
I'm not sure about coconut oil. My dh tells me to only use olive oil.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2008, 06:53:33 AM »
I'm not sure about coconut oil. My dh tells me to only use olive oil.

I have been using palm oil "shortening" (spectrum brand, non hydrogenated) as it is shelf stable and I didn't know if the oil "in" the pan could go rancid. Anyone know if the palm oil is o.k.? I didn't want everything tasting like coconut which is why I didn't use that.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »
brush...like what kind of brush? I don't use sponges or scrubies...will it not get clean enough if I don't use a brush? like a bottle brush?

yeah, it's sort of a bent handled brush made by rubbermaid or  ???  some company that makes mops.  i just use it cuz it gets everything crusty or stuck on.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
For $3.95, this one is made for the job!  It'll give you ideas, anyway...

Jeni

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
I use the little brown thing that came with stoneware. No Brush.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »
I use the little brown thing that came with stoneware. No Brush.

Is this the technical name for it?  Sure it's not a unit?       
 :D    :D    :D    :D   JK