Author Topic: Home Spa :)  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Jesus_Princess

• Adept
  • Me and my best friend (aka my brother)
    • Thoughts from Ellerslie
Home Spa :)
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
So I would love some ideas on how to do a home spa for my mom.  She is allergic to soy so she can't really go to a professional spa.  I think it would be something fun treat for her :)
Any recipies, effects, and things that you enjoy ;) would be great!

Thanks
B.C.

P.S. Lavender Scent gives her a headache
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of Hell."
          - C.T. Studd

My wonderful mommy is In Christ!

My Blog:
http://steppingheavenward-ellerslie.blogspot.com/

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Home Spa :)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »
What type of spa experience are you thinking of doing?  Massage? Facial?  Foot rub/pedicure?

I've only ever been twice.  Once for a facial and once for a massage...but I'll tell you my favorite parts:

~the hand massage:  oil or lotion the hands.  Wrap them in a hot towel for a minute or two.  Massage one hand at a time, gently sqeezing and stretching fingers, and using both hands to gently squeeze palms and rub backs of hands.
~foot/lower leg massage: lotion or oil legs and feet and rub down legs and massage feet.  Of course, if you had her feet soaking in a nice epsom salt+essential oil bath while you did her hands, this would make it all the more wonderful!
~hot rice pack on back: this feels so good.  They used a large sized rice pack, but you could sub a hot water bottle or two wrapped in a towel.  Or maybe make your own rice pack.
~facial: you can keep it pretty simple.  Pull hair back in a stretchy band to keep it out of her face.  Put a light oil on the face (coconut?), and then wrap with a steamy (but not too hot) towel...leave a little air hole.  Wash down and rub face with a damp warm washcloth, and apply a gently toner and a moisturizer.

Find out her favorite smells and/or flavors.  Vanilla is always gentle, and can tone down other scents (like orange+vanilla).  Coconut oil is a great moisturizer, and can be blended with essential oils for some scent.  If she's sensative to smells, then keep the scents very light, and maybe just use one or a blend of two gentle ones for your products. 

Beeswax candles are nice.  Dim lights, soft piano/harp or flute type music are wonderful.

If you want to make your own products you can use:
~extra virgin coconut oil for the moisturizer/massage oils, with your own essential oil mix blended in.
~witchhazel for the toner with a few drops of essential oils shaken in
~epsom salts with essential oils...I love peppermint or eucalyptus blended in for foot soaks and oils.
~I would also use Dr. Bronners chamomile soap (or unscented) to clean off the oils and wash her face.  It's very gentle.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Home Spa :)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
I used to be the spa queen, and one of my favorite things was to have the combo massage and scrub.
Basically you start with a scrub on the back... this is usually done with scented bath salts.  You could use eucalytus for an invigorating  sense, or whatever she likes.  This is good as it gets rid of all of the dead/loose skin on the back.
It is great to follow with a massage.  Sweet almond oil is a nice one to use, and you can scent it as you like, or not.
You can make your own scrub and the oil is pretty easy to find as well.  If nothing else a mani/pedi is always good in my book.  You don't have to use nail polish, but just clean up the nails and cuticles.