Author Topic: Wanted: Opinions on Alli (that new diet pill)  (Read 3891 times)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
Wanted: Opinions on Alli (that new diet pill)
« on: August 05, 2009, 04:35:29 AM »
Does anyone have any opinions about Alli?  (I don't plan on taking it, but someone I know has started taking it)  I know it's a drug that causes you not to absorb as much fat, and the fat is basically expelled from your body in a very gross way. 

Now, is fat being unabsorbed & expelled in this way - is it healthy/good for your body?  It just doesn't seem right/normal to do this to a body, even an overweight body...I mean, it's messing with the natural order of the way your body is designed to work...so can Alli really do any good?  Is it ever a good thing to alter the way things naturally work?  What are the ramifications for your health/body when it's not absorbing fats?  I know some fats are good fats, and your body needs some fats.  What exactly should I say to someone who's taking Alli, if I wanted to try to convince them that it might not be a healthy thing to do?
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline km4kids4them

• Wide Eyed
Re: Wanted: Opinions on Alli (that new diet pill)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
I have personal experience with alli. I took it whenit first came out and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. On the label it cautions that it can cause you to have oily flatulence and oily loose stools. Well when i read this i thought "well I can control my bowels and gas right" wrong!!! I was doing fine as long as i didn't eat anything greasy, and then one day my husband and i decided to go out to eat to celebrate our anniversary. So we went to the olive garden and i ate my share of breadsticks, pasta and salad. I thought i'd be ok . The next day was July 4 we went to a family cookout and while we were watching fireworks i had my first and last experience with "oily flatulence" which to me was 100 times worse than what i envisioned. I rushed to the bathroom to find that my panties were full of pure oil no stool just pure oil it looked like the oil that pools on top of a slice of pizza mixed with olive oil. I was mortified to say the least, and i had to walk back outside to get my husband and kids. Im just thankfull that it was dark out side because it would have been hard to explain the grease mark on my backside. lol. That was the last time that i used alli, and i never will again. Just tell your friend if she insists on using it to stay away from olive garden and to also keep a backup change of clothes with her everywhere she goes and be prepared to use them b/c at some point she will most likely have to have them. lol. Oh and dont wear white it'll ruin it.  ;)

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »
Yeah, when I said that the fat is expelled from your body in a very gross way, that is exactly what I meant!   :o   ;)

But, that is what they call a "treatment effect"....that is, if you have this effect, then you know that the treatment is working like it should.  You're supposed to expel the fat in this gross way.  Some people tolerate it, I suppose.

But, what I'm really concerned about is the effect these sorts of bowel movements has on a person's health/body and on their intestines.  And also, how does not absorbing fats affect the body & health?  It just doesn't seem right to alter the digestive system in this way, and I'm wondering if anyone has any info or experience regarding how Alli affected their health/body, not just how it affected their bowel movements. 

I've looked online for this info, but all I could find was info/talk about the bowel movements.  If anyone can find a website that talks more about what I want to know, could you point me to it?

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
YES!

I finally found some info:

Blocking healthy fats
However, it's not the side effects that I'm most concerned about with this drug. What I'm actually concerned about is the potential harm this drug might cause. This drug works by absorbing fat; that way, when people eat fats like those found in milk or cheese or even salad dressings, this drug binds with those fats and carries them on out of the system where they can't be digested. But at the same time, this drug also blocks all those essential fats that we need to be healthy.

Those acids include omega-3 fatty acids, which is why you're hearing about all the benefits of eating oily fish like salmon. But people who are taking this drug are inevitably blocking the absorption of these essential fatty acids as well as blocking the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins that go along with them. Some of those vitamins are extremely important to human health. The fat-soluble vitamins include vitamin E, vitamin A and vitamin D.

It is vitamin D that I am most concerned about, because right now vitamin D deficiencies are widespread across Western populations, especially those in the United States. A deficiency in vitamin D directly promotes a numbers of serious diseases including diabetes, depression, osteoporosis, schizophrenia, breast cancer, prostate cancer and even gum disease. For people who are already overfed and undernourished, taking a fat-blocking pill that will reduce the absorption of vitamin D seems like dietary insanity to me. It makes me wonder about the priorities of the FDA, too. Are they sure the benefits of this drug outweigh the risks?

Are nutritional deficiencies an acceptable side effect?
I question whether the FDA has seriously looked at the risks of further malnutrition of fat-soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids. Maybe this decision was based on the incorrect but widely held belief in conventional medicine that diet really has no relationship to health. As amazing as it seems, there are still those in conventional medicine who believe that what you eat has nothing to do with your health or the diseases that you might eventually express. I know it sounds crazy, but there are still doctors, decision-makers and bureaucrats who believe that utterly outdated philosophy. Some may think that blocking the absorption of nutrition has no effect on the human body.

Let's face it: Essential fatty acids are named that because they are essential. Vitamin D and other fat-soluble nutrients are absolutely crucial for human health, especially the health of expectant mothers, newborns and senior citizens. These are nutrients that we cannot live healthfully without. So what could possibly be the FDA review panel's motivation in approving this drug that has almost no perceived benefit? It causes merely one pound of weight loss a month (and that's if you actually believe the clinical trials), yet it creates considerable health risks to those who take the drug. Again, those risks are widespread nutritional deficiencies that exacerbate existing deficiencies and can lead to serious degenerative disease.

and

A second side effect of using Alli can result in health problems. As this drug works primarily by ridding the body of the fat which is consumed in the diet, using Alli can result in your body not retaining nearly enough of the essential nutrients you need for your general health. The healthy fats which your body naturally needs on an everyday basis are expelled as quickly as unhealthy fats.

In addition to the short-term effects from Alli, this drug has also been shown to be a contributing factor in developing breast cancer. While it is not yet conclusive enough to take the drug off the market, it is certainly something to think about if you plan to use this drug.

and

Alli prevents enzymes in the gastrointestinal tract from breaking down the fat in food into smaller molecules that can be absorbed by the body. Thus, absorption of fat is decreased by about 30 percent. Unfortunately, as the undigested fat is washed away, it takes with it fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) and beta carotene, and patients using the drug must take a supplement that contains these vitamins. Vitamin deficiencies can ensue.

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:09:18 AM »
To those who have used this Alli pill or know someone who has, did you notice if your (or their) health declined due to the body not absorbing essential fats & nutrients?

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:24:09 PM »
I have personal experience with alli. I took it whenit first came out and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. On the label it cautions that it can cause you to have oily flatulence and oily loose stools. Well when i read this i thought "well I can control my bowels and gas right" wrong!!! I was doing fine as long as i didn't eat anything greasy, and then one day my husband and i decided to go out to eat to celebrate our anniversary. So we went to the olive garden and i ate my share of breadsticks, pasta and salad. I thought i'd be ok . The next day was July 4 we went to a family cookout and while we were watching fireworks i had my first and last experience with "oily flatulence" which to me was 100 times worse than what i envisioned. I rushed to the bathroom to find that my panties were full of pure oil no stool just pure oil it looked like the oil that pools on top of a slice of pizza mixed with olive oil. I was mortified to say the least, and i had to walk back outside to get my husband and kids. Im just thankfull that it was dark out side because it would have been hard to explain the grease mark on my backside. lol. That was the last time that i used alli, and i never will again. Just tell your friend if she insists on using it to stay away from olive garden and to also keep a backup change of clothes with her everywhere she goes and be prepared to use them b/c at some point she will most likely have to have them. lol. Oh and dont wear white it'll ruin it.  ;)
All I have to say is ewwwwww. Thanks for convincing me to NEVER use that pill!!!!