Author Topic: Sprained wrist on 22 mos old??  (Read 5118 times)

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
Sprained wrist on 22 mos old??
« on: September 25, 2006, 06:50:53 AM »
My son fell while getting off a trampoline yesterday and won't stop crying.  He is favoring is left wrist and while he can use his hand, anytime he puts weight on it or something bumps his wrist, he starts crying all over again.  He doesn't talk yet so he can't tell me what hurts but I'm thinking it's sprained.  There is no noticeable swelling and he can move it so I'm pretty sure nothing is broken.  I'm taking him to the chiropractor in about an hour, but I know with a sprain or something similar, it can hurt for quite a while. 
Any suggestions for pain relief so that he's not living on Tylenol for the next few weeks??
Is it ok to bandage a little one's wrist to inhibit movement or is it better for him to use it even though it hurts??

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
Re: Sprained wrist on 22 mos old??
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:02:25 AM »
A friend broke his arm a couple of years ago, and tried Raspberry tea.  He claims it worked just as well, or better than the pain meds.

I don't think it would harm your son to restrict use of his arm while it heals.  My oldest was in a cast at 2 years old with a broken arm.  I believe it would be best to allow the arm a chance to heal without further irritation. 

I hope all goes well.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »
He should have an ace bandage for support and to prevent further injury while the soft tissue heals. This is especially important when he is napping/sleeping. Just be sure to use a figure 8 wrap that goes across the palm, between the thumb and index finger, across the back of the wrist, under the wrist, back up on top of the wrist to the back of the hand and back under to the palm on the side where the pinkie is. This will give support while keeping the bandage from cutting off circulation. You can find these wraps in rolls as small as 1 inch or smaller I think, which would be okay for a small child. Try to find something that is as wide as the palm of his little hand.

Keeping the wrist supported, will prevent the soft tissues from being bumped and/or stretched and thereby bruised again. He should be okay in a couple of days. You might want to try a small dose of an anti-inflammatory for swelling if it is very painful. Otherwise, I just put some "Miracle Herbal Rub" on some gauze next to the skin and keep it under the wrap.

Click here for a brief article on wrist sprains and self treating.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:03:41 AM »
I tore a ligament in my finger last Christmas.  Cod Liver Oil has helped the healing process immensly.

Fish Oils for Kids

My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:11:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I picked up some ibuprofen at the store and will use that for a day or two and I have several ace bandages so I'll just cut one down to his size and use that.  The chiropractor seemed to think that both of his wrists were sprained as he felt quite a bit of heat coming off both of them.  Great!  Poor guy....even when he plays on the floor on his belly he ends up crying because he can't push himself up. 
That muscle rub sounds great - I'll see if my local health food store has those herbs and mix it with the olive oil and see if that helps. 
I have cod liver oil, but I don't think there is any way I'll be able to get that down him - would it will work if I applied it topically under the bandage??
Thanks again for the suggestions!  Keep them coming   :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »
I don't know about using the CLO on the skin.  I suppose you could try it, but I do think ingestion would be best.

Also, use ibuprofren if necessary, BUT it's not very good for the liver or the gut.  You might try some tart cherries or fresh pinapple instead.  I don't know that much about cherries, but I know that pinapple contains bromelain which is natural for pain and inflammation.  Feed it to him on an empty stomach for the best results.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
I did have to use some aspirin-based pain reliever on my 3 yr old when he sprained his ankle. He was waking up that first night in pain. But I only had to do this for one dose. The next day, we used the Miracle Herbal Rub and continued with the supportive wrap. He didn't need anything else for the pain as it only hurt when he put weight on it. By day 4 he was back to his old self.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 09:40:43 AM »
.... The next day, we used the Miracle Herbal Rub and....

I'm just looking in here - got 6 boys coming up the line 'ya know- and I don't know what Miracle Herbal Rub is.  Got a link or something?

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 09:53:27 AM »
Another good alternative if you dont' have access to miracle rub, is to go to your local health food store and purchase "Arnica Cream"
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 10:46:53 AM »
I second the arnica cream!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »
.... The next day, we used the Miracle Herbal Rub and....

I'm just looking in here - got 6 boys coming up the line 'ya know- and I don't know what Miracle Herbal Rub is.  Got a link or something?

Sarah K

Yes, see reply #2 under this thread.  ;)

And, might I add, with 6 boys coming up you'll need a TRUCKLOAD of chamomile tea. Not for them, for you! ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:11:43 AM by SC »

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 11:12:42 AM »
Thanks.... sigh.... my kids will LOVE to hear about this one....."Aren't you supposed to look first?  You always tell us that."

As for tea - I've found the _other_ use of Chamomile tea works well with my boys.  What?  You don't know it?   

Make 2 full tea bags of dry herbs (any will do). 
Put one over each ear and hold firmly in place. 
Look the other way.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:49:47 AM by SarahK »
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 12:19:30 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
That's one of the BEST remedies I've heard lately! I would tell my dh, but his favorite response is often, "I'm sorry, did you say something?" ::)

Boys are certainly an adventure!