Author Topic: Car seat recommendations?  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
Car seat recommendations?
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »
DS is too long for his Chicco Key Fit 30 infant car seat, so I am in the market for a reversible (back and front facing) car seat.  Any ideas on a car seat that is both comfortable for baby AND easy to install? 

Consumer Reports "best buy" is the Cosco Scenera (although I think this particular report is a bit old so may be outdated), so I headed to the store thinking I would get that one.  But it looks like it must be the most uncomfortable seat in the world - there is absolutely no padding between the fabric cover and the plastic seat.  So that one is out. 

I ended up purchasing an Evenflow Titan 5.  But I had so much trouble today trying to get it set up right and then installed that I decided to return it.  The Chicco base is sooooo easy to install - I realize it will be harder to install an actual car seat than just a base, but the Evenflow was so difficult and I never was able to get it secure.  Plus, the latch system is difficult to use because there you actually have to stick your hand down the seat and fiddle with it a while to unbuckle it.  (The Chicco has a button thing that you push - super easy.)  And also, compared to the Chicco, it seemed really flimsy.

Unfortunately, money is a consideration.  But above all the seat needs to be easy to use, fit well into the car, and be comfy for baby.  Any suggestions????  Does Chicco make reversible car seats?  (I haven't come across any online, but I may just not be looking in the right place.)
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
Re: Car seat recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »
I love Alpha Omega 3 in 1 carseats.  They can be used from 5 lbs up through the booster seat age.  I wouldn't use them for a small baby though.  We use them after our babies grew out of the infant car seats and we used them backwards until they reached the weight to be forward facing.  They can get pricy, but we were able to find deals both times we needed to purchase one.  The first time we purchased on-line with free shipping and the second time we purchased from Big Lots!  My kiddos are 4 and 3 and still using them.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
We use the Britax Marathon. It's expensive, but very highly-rated when it comes to safety. It has a very sturdy feel to it and my husband thinks it's easy to install. (We don't have the latch system, however... our vehicle missed that by one model year!)

The Marathon can face forward or backward and is appropriate for babies up through toddlers. Our son is 3.5 years old, 34 pounds, and about 40" tall and still has some growing room.

If you look on Craigslist or Ebay, you might be able to get a good deal. Obviously, you run a risk of buying a defective (or already-been-in-an-accident) seat if you buy used, but there are new ones out there if you are in the right place at the right time.

Hope this helps...

Offline bettarcamping

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:54 AM »
We recently purchased the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX through Amazon.  REALLY like it. It's a combination type, so she's currently rear-facing, and eventually we can turn it around and use it froward facing until she reaches 50 lbs. It has a GREAT and really easy to use strap tightening system...makes it 10 times easier to get her properly adjusted.  It is a bit big, so if you have a small car it'll eat your backseat...or if you need to fit two kids beside the carseat...well...you could but I wouldn't! We have a Jeep cherokee and this is our first child so it works just fine for us. For the features and all I'd say it's just as good as the more expensive types...it got great reviews from other parents. Not such great reviews from the NTHSA but they were really nitpicky and none of the combo seats got great reviews. It did take a bit of time to install so it wouldn't be great if you plan on switching from car to car. But, we absolutely love it, and it wasn't nearly as expensive as some of the seats out there!
Wife to the worlds bestest husband and Momma to the sweetest little girl who will be a big sister this summer!

Offline SewHappyMomma

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »
I am also a huge fan of Britax.  I have two marathons and one roundabout.  The roundabout was less expensive, and a little smaller.  It only goes up to 40 lbs.  Verify your state's safety laws (at 40 lbs, you may want a belt positioning booster).  The marathon goes up to 65 lbs.  Both are extremely easy to install.  The shoulder straps are easy to rethread for height accomodations.
In my opinion, it's one area I wasn't willing to go cheap.  I've tried the cheaper seats, and they've irritated my kids on their backs.  Take a look at the protection of the britax car seats, it's worth the extra expense.  I've bought one on eBay before, and been pleased with it.  I would not recommend the used path unless you know the seller.

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »
I posted before but just wanted to second SewHappyMomma's post. I was willing to spend extra on the Britax Marathon car seat (and would gladly do so again) because they are so safe and so high-quality. Our 3 year old son seems quite comfortable, even on very long drives. You might want to take your son to the store with you (Babies'R'Us is a great place for this) and have him sit in some of the different seats. Try to determine whether the seat will "grow with him" until he no longer needs one.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »
Thanks so much for the recommendations!  Has anyone used the Britax Roundabout 50?  I think I'm leaning towards a Britax.  I checked out their site and the most economical ones are the Roundabout (up to 40) and the Roundabout 50 (up to 50).  I'm guessing if the Roundabout is good, the Roundabout 50 would be, too.  I don't quite have the money for it right now, but hopefully will be able to get it soon.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
We very recently purchased two Britax Boulevards and we absolutely love them. They make the cosco convertible seat we had before look like a toy. The features are awesome, easy to get a nice proper tight install with it as well. The seats just feel so rock solid it is awesome.

I didn't like the idea of a 40 lb weight limit on a convertible because we wanted our seat to last us longer than that. I like that these have a 65 pounds weight limit. That is really personal preference though.

As far as rear-facing goes, the Boulevard has a 35 pound rear-facing limit which is pretty common it seems. Our two year old is still rear-facing in it but she isn't too far from the limit for rear-facing so I watch her weight closely. She seems rather heavy for a two year old even though she is skinny.

I found Britax's website really helpful in making my decision. they even have videos on how to install their seats. That is really helpful.

I love the true side impact protection on the Boulevard. The kids seem really comfortable in the seats and I had no problem getting them installed properly.

We bought ours at www.diapers.com. I checked them out with the Better Business Bureau before we bought and made sure they were on the list of dealers at Britax's site before we purchased. Free shipping too on a purchase of this higher cost which helps.

Good luck finding what you need. Hope that helps some.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:05:50 PM by sarajane »
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »
I also love Britax.  IMO it is worth eating rice & beans for a month if that's what it takes to afford one.  We currently own 7 Britax seats, 5 of which we use daily.  (The other 2 have been outgrown and are waiting in the attic for the next occupant.)  I love every Britax seat we have ever used.  I strongly recommend the true side impact protection feature.  ~L

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:41 AM »
Mamatoto - I just got an e-mail that Britax car seats are up to an extra 20% off until August 8th at Amazon.com.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Mamatoto - I just got an e-mail that Britax car seats are up to an extra 20% off until August 8th at Amazon.com.

Wow!  Thanks for letting me know!

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »

Wow!  Thanks for letting me know!

No prob!