Author Topic: Infantile Seizures  (Read 8313 times)

Offline CTmom

• Wide Eyed
Infantile Seizures
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:03:10 AM »
I'm new to your wonderful site. It was recommended to me by a dear Christian friend. My 2 month old baby has been behaving "oddly" for 4-5 weeks now (not making consistant eye contact, newborn reflexes not so great, jerky spasms, lots of crying, lots of reflux). I gave up dairy, thinking it was causing her a problem with my milk. I am taking her to the Dr. tomorrow to discuss delaying her vaccinations because I'm concerned about neurological development. Last night I stumbled upon some YouTube movies of infants having seizures and was shocked to see how much they look like my dear daughter. I am so distraught over this. She is our third child and I am overwhelmed with what the future might hold for us. My faith is really shaken and I know I'm getting way ahead of myself. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Please pray for us.

Offline kings daughter

• Learning
Re: Infantile Seizures
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:26:14 AM »
CTmom
I have a one week old newborn and I am so concerned that my baby is having seizures too.  I feel the same as you do.  There are some seizures that are considered normal for the newborn and the child will not have any future problems.  I'm praying this would be the case.  How is your baby while she is awake?  Have you discussed this with your doc. at other visits?  Please let me know what you find out.

Offline CTmom

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:30:42 AM »
She has seizures when she's awake too. She also has a very weak cry a lot of the time and a kind of fake little cough. Also gets hiccups constantly. She has a very difficult time sleeping during the day. A couple days ago she didn't sleep more than 15 mins. at a time all day long! She constantly jerks herself awake.

I haven't been to the Dr. since she was 2 weeks old (she's now almost 8 wks). At the time I wasn't really viewing her behavior as seizures and was more concerned about red open sores on her bottom. I told the dr she cried a lot and that I wondered if she had a sensitivity to dairy protein. He said she had the beginnings of colic. I gave up the dairy on my own and the sores cleared up in 5 days. I feel like she is actually regressing from where she was 4 weeks ago. I'll keep you posted on my visit tomorrow.

She seeks to nurse a lot. I think it's for comfort. She also has a very strong need to be just with me and will really get crankin' sometimes if she's being held by anyone else, including her daddy. Now that he sees she may have a more serious problem, he's taking the attachment issue in stride, but it makes me sad for him.

Today's sermon at church was about being clay in the potter's hands. I think maybe I'm being reshaped. It was deffinitely God speaking.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
First, I have some simple suggestions:
Have you tried putting her down for daytime sleep in a dark room?  I know that some babies are much more sensative to light, and sleep better if they are in a completely dark place.  She may also simply have an immature sucking reflex, and be swallowing/breating at the same time and 'carbonating' her milk as she drinks.  This causes all sorts of digestive problems, discomfort and gas.  You can tell if this is the case by listening to her breathing/swallowing patterns.  I found it helpful to sit my babies more upright while they nursed, as it allowed the air to collect at the top of their tummy for a nice big burp. 

Another thing that worked great for bonding and comfort was our baby sling.  My hubby was the 'bad cop' as well for a while, until he started wearing her in the sling...she LOVED it!  If you've never seen one, and want to make one, there is a free pattern on my website: www.handmade-adelaide-baby.com

If you are pretty sure that she has a dairy intollerance, then it's possible that you may have another trigger still in your diet.  Seizures can be related to allergies or food intollerances.  Do you have trouble digesting certain foods?  A baby's ability to digest foods comes from enzymes and such that are physically passed on from the mother through breastmilk.

Another thought I had was that the neurological system depends on the digestion of fats to coat the nerve cells, called myalinization (sp?).  Myalin is a fatty substance that insulates the nerves, and helps the nerve signals fire smoothly as they travel through the body.  This process progresses throughout childhood.  This process accounts for a baby's 'learning' how to control their head, and the nerves continue to develop to allow for the fine motor coordination that is involved in writing with a pencil and even playing instruments.

So you want to make sure that you're getting enough good fat in your diet.  If you are, then the second question would be is the baby able to digest the fats?  Do her poops look normal?  You may consider adding a probiotic to your diet with ox bile to see if this is helpful to her.  NOW makes one called Super Enzymes that is affordable.

I would also personally cut out sweets/simple carbs for a while and see if that helps regulate her digestion problems...in case she has a yeast overgrowth, which the red open sores points to, possibly.

Check out mykidsmom's (Patti) posts on the GAPs diet thread for the story she shares about her son and the amazing doctor that they found.  I have learned so much about allergies and digestion issues from her posts.  More than likely, a 'regular' doctor will only diagnose within the realm of average baby disorders unless she shows some extroidinary regression or behaviours in his office. 

I think I also read a post from Patti about the most common allergens, which are the nighshade family which include tomatoes, eggplants, etc.; diary and gluten (I think?).  Those might be ones that you want to try an elimination diet to try to target other allergens.  I found this article to be helpful in distinguishing between a food allergy and an intollerance: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance

Sorry for such a long post.  The final thing I would tell you is to purposefully relax with your baby.  If you are tense and worried, she will definitely be reacting to that (emotionally and even physically).  Stressful responses will also cause you to suffer, as well as your milk supply.  Do what God leads to you to as her health advocate with boldness, but live peacefully with her and enjoy her.  God bless...keep us updated!

~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
CT Mom,

I would encourage you to immediately pull all gluten in addition to the dairy out of your diet.  Gluten has actually been known to cause seizures in adults (I know two personally).  It sounds as if your baby's tummy is struggling and the gluten will only make it worse.  Gwen had good insight on the fat digestion issue. 

I do not know where you live, but we flew to see the doctor that Gwen mentioned because after 7 years of trying we could not get a single doctor who would do anything more then want to put our son on medication without actually looking for causes. 

If you do not feel like you're getting the answers you need I would encourage you to set up a phone consultation with Dr. Rob Dramov.  He is in Oregon but will do phone consults and may know someone in your area that is good also.  He literally helped to save my son's life.  He is a naturepath that specializes in gastro issues, autism and general family health.  He is brilliant in his use of medical tests and then treating naturally and he will do it within whatever budget you've got.  Some insurances do cover him but most will not cover phone consults.  This is his website with his contact info:  http://www.dramovmedical.com

God bless you and hang in there.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »
The other ladies already gave wonderful advice ... just wanted to say I'm praying for you and your little one.

One thing that caught my eye while reading what you wrote was that you said your baby just jerks herself awake while she sleeps.  Do you happen to still be swaddling her a good portion of the time? 

With my baby #3 I sort of "forgot" to swaddle him often enough and he was a very unhappy baby.  With #4, I made sure to swaddle for a long time - for the first 2 months she was swaddled almost always and then gradually only when sleeping.  I guess I stopped swaddling altogether at just under 6 months or so.

I hope that helps a little bit.  I am anxious to hear what the doctors said at your appt.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
Another thing you might want to check into is mold/mildew.  I have read that certain molds can cause infant seizures.  If you are in an older home, this is a possibility.

Also check your mattress.  If you are using an older mattress, this might also cause a problem (even if you have used it for just your first two children).  You might want to give it a good airing in bright sunlight with hydrogen peroxide.

And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.