Author Topic: Rose Salve  (Read 11198 times)

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
Rose Salve
« on: July 06, 2009, 03:57:28 AM »
I didn't see a topic on this, sorry if I missed it. 

Does anyone have a good and easy method for making Rose Salve?  I've found a few online, but wanted to get some experienced opinions on the best way to go about it.  I'm looking for a rose salve that will give color to my lips and cheeks and also be healthy for my skin. 

Things I'm wondering about:

Do you prefer to use dried or fresh roses?  Why? 
Do you grind up the roses or 'cook' the color out of them?
What oil is best for preserving the finished salve? 
What roses are best to use to ensure that the finished salve still smells like roses?  Or do you just put some rose essential oil in for scent? 

Thanks!
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
Re: Rose Salve
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »
Bump :)
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline jessica

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:08:54 PM »
what do you use rose salve for?  I've never heard of it.
Jessica

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:33:49 AM »
Depending on whether you make it to preserve the color of the roses or not, it can be used as a skin conditioner/preserver or as a lipstick/blush replacement.  A lot of older ladies use the non-colored kind as an anti-wrinkle cream. :)

Offline DakotaSoapLady

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »
Wasn't the old rose salves used to heal cuts and abrasions?  I have a cousin who keeps asking me to make one, but I have never seen or used one so I don't even know where to begin on it.

Blessings,
Lydia
I am a home-birthing, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, non-vaccinating, SAHM, WAHM, home-schooling mother to my 3 blessings.

Offline Deb

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
Would this be like the ROSEBUD SALVE that has been around forever? That is a brand name not homemade but my mom used it on us for every chap, bite etc as kids. You can still order it from Lehman's.com. It is dark pink and smells like roses mmmmm. Not sure if it would work as lipstick etc. or not but is was great as a salve---that smelled great. I still use it today on my little ones. Would be neat to learn to make it homemade.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:26 AM »
Yes Deb, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  It can be made darker for makeup, I've seen it for sale, but haven't been able to find a decent recipe for it.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »
Ridgerunner, did you ever find a good method for making tinted rose salve?
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
BUMP!

These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »
Test Post
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:03:29 AM »
BUMP!

Sorry Mamatoto, just saw this.  No, I didn't.  I found a recipe for making rose salve that sounded like it would be a good product, but it was seriously complicated and didn't include color, it rendered a clear salve that was more medicinal than cosmetic.  If you want that I'll hunt up the link for you. :)

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 02:46:35 AM »
Hey guys!!!  Try this link and see if it is what you are looking for :
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/rose-salve.html

HTH-KG

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
Hey guys!!!  Try this link and see if it is what you are looking for :

HTH-KG

LOL, that's the one I was going to link!  I don't see anything about coloring it though, am I just overlooking it?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 04:14:54 AM »
It uses powdered pink/red roses, why would you need to color it? I would think it would be the color of the roses, wouldn't it?
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 04:20:39 AM »
  Try this link and see if it is what you are looking for :

HTH-KG

LOL, that's the one I was going to link! 

Great minds think alike ;D -KG

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:19:19 AM »
It uses powdered pink/red roses, why would you need to color it? I would think it would be the color of the roses, wouldn't it?
WR

It comes out a faint pink after processing that doesn't have enough color to truly replace lipstick. 

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »
Red is the color that is the most prone to fading, and it's very difficult to get good, rich, lightfast reds (across the board in dyes/inks/makeup/paint).  I think minerals are more reliable pigments over organic compounds. 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »
Red is the color that is the most prone to fading, and it's very difficult to get good, rich, lightfast reds (across the board in dyes/inks/makeup/paint).  I think minerals are more reliable pigments over organic compounds. 

That is why I would suggest mineral makeup...........there are some really nice deep reds, burgundy etc.   I have used them in lip gloss and they are really nice.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline grannysgoo

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
Could you just add some beet powder to your salve to add a more pink color?  I use it in some of my lip gloss' and it seems to give a light pink color to the lips.

Offline Kylie

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »
Could you just add some beet powder to your salve to add a more pink color?  I use it in some of my lip gloss' and it seems to give a light pink color to the lips.

THIS is exactly what I was wondering also.