Author Topic: Need help with homemade powder  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Clementine

• Adept
Need help with homemade powder
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:02:28 AM »
I’m trying to troubleshoot some powder I made recently.  The recipe called for cornstarch, 1 tsp witch hazel and essential oil. I mixed it well and put it into shaker containers.  But when I tried it, it keeps clumping and won’t come out of the shaker.  I’m wondering if I need to either add more powder base, or let it air out longer.  I’ve never made a powder before that called for a liquid ingredient.  I’m giving this as gifts and want it to turn out nicely, so I don't want to play around with it too much and ruin it completely.   :)
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Re: Need help with homemade powder
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »
I’m trying to troubleshoot some powder I made recently.  The recipe called for cornstarch, 1 tsp witch hazel and essential oil. I mixed it well and put it into shaker containers.  But when I tried it, it keeps clumping and won’t come out of the shaker.  I’m wondering if I need to either add more powder base, or let it air out longer.  I’ve never made a powder before that called for a liquid ingredient.  I’m giving this as gifts and want it to turn out nicely, so I don't want to play around with it too much and ruin it completely.   :)

What's it for? 

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »
It's just a peppermint-scented body powder.
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
Were the shakers dry when you filled them?

I would... dump all of the powder out onto a cookie sheet and put it in the oven with the light on... or turn the oven on to 200 for a minute to warm and then turn it off and let the powder dry off in there (Don't forget and leave the oven on!) You could always try running it through a wire mesh afterwards to get rid of the lumps.

I'd wash the shakers, air dry them, and then blow dry with a hair dryer before refilling them.

Good luck.

Jamie

Every Day You Save My Life