Author Topic: Dr. McDougall's diet plan  (Read 4971 times)

cecac

Dr. McDougall's diet plan
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »
Hello,

My husband and I are on this diet.  We started last week.  It is starch based and vegan.  Though we aren't vegan per se, we have not been able to lose weight (about 25-30 pounds each), and we both are having aches and pains to boot.

Here is Dr. McDougall's website:

www.drmcdougall.com

Hubby and I are going to try to lose the weight first and then add meat back to our diet.  So far so good on the diet--three pounds weight loss in the first week for both of us.  We are also exercising 3 times per week.

I am also getting better blood sugar response.  I have been told on their forum that dairy may very well be causing my joint pain, but I need to wait for 2 weeks to one month to see about that.  There is a certain amount of cleansing that goes on with this, of course, when first starting.  Particularly,  ::) when you kinda fell off the bandwagon with health for a bit anyway.

I love sugar, it just doesn't love me.

Anyone else doing this?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:41:45 AM by cecac »

cecac

Re: Dr. McDougall's diet plan
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »
Well, I am updating this lonely thread. ;D

My hubby has lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks.  We have seen a creeping up of his weight, and so I am feeling really successful at this point!!

I have lost 4 of the remaining 17-20 pounds I had to lose from my last pregnancy 14 months ago.

I went off wheat along with the other dietary recommendations of Dr. McDougall, because I have been having joint pain for about the last two years or so.  I think it may be helping; however, I am unsure.  We went off dairy as well as meat and any added oils.  I understand that dairy products can cause joint pain as well.  So...I am going to put wheat in at some point soon to see.  I think I need a little longer off of it, though, just to make sure.

I had some trouble going as low on salt as is recommended on this diet, so I reduced how much I put in our cooked food (as opposed to leaving it out entirely) and I also take sea salt in water in the mornings.  I am someone who has endocrine system issues, particularly difficulty with adrenals.  When I went too low salt, my blood pressure started dropping and I began to feel pretty bad.  My blood pressure is at about 118/76 on this diet which is very good for me. 

We are having to get used to eating this way, as a high starch diet requires us to eat more often because the food leaves the system faster than if we eat animal products.  We tend to graze a bit.  Not quite like cows, though. ::)  I have eaten some meat a few times.  We are unsure at this point, but I may not be able to go completely meat free.  I seem to be having some stamina issues (my hubby Never struggles with that) so we are trying to adjust as necessary.

Oh, and I can tell I sleep much better eating this way.  I was having issues with this and I can tell that I am sleeping deeper.  Bowel function for us has not been too much of an issue, but it is improving even more as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:51:00 AM by cecac »

cecac

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »
I forgot to add that this way of eating is Cheaper.  We are a family of 12.  Our children eat this way with the exception of 3 gallons of raw cow milk, some meat, and some added fats such as butter in the week.

We purchase our grains and beans in bulk and make our own bread.  So, we mainly have to buy produce, dried fruits & nuts, peanut butter, frozen veggies and fruits,  and some canned goods.  This is simple and easier in many ways.

I invested in a rice cooker, and we use it for more than just rice cooking 1-3 times per day.

We will purchase a stainless pressure cooker as soon as we are able, as we will save energy costs in cooking beans and etc in one of those as opposed to the stove top or crock pot.  I need some time saving, and this will be accomplished as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:10:57 AM by cecac »

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 04:38:31 AM »
This:   
My hubby has lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks.  We have seen a creeping up of his weight, and so I am feeling really successful at this point!!

and this:   
forgot to add that this way of eating is Cheaper.

are enough to make me look twice at this diet!  (as soon as I conquer candida that is)  Glad you're having success with it!
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

cecac

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:20:59 AM »
Lol, well, I got my bloodwork done and low and behold my cholesterol was....too low. :o

This diet is particularly for weight loss, diabetics, and heart patients.  I am only dealing with the weight loss a little.  My MD said that my extremely low general cholesterol reading is okay for me as an adult.  He said if I was a child then it would be a problem.

What my doctor said is that, lol, the low cholesterol indicated low protein. ::)

However, we had already decided for the kids to eat meat some in the week, and I think we'll pick up some eggs too.  For, if I am that low (mine was 109 in a range of 140-200) I need to watch the kids.

It'll still be cheaper, just not quite so with eating meat 3 times a week.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:25:35 AM by cecac »