Author Topic: Chili Powder  (Read 5659 times)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
Chili Powder
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Can someone tell me what exactly is chili powder?  I have really come to love this in my food, but after looking at the ingredients, I think it said it had garlic powder, and I'm not sure what else?  So I ordered what I thought was chili powder, but I got cayenne pepper powder?  Chili powder is much milder than cayenne, so does anyone know what regular chili powder is?

thanks
wendy

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
Re: Chili Powder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
Are you talking about those packets of chili seasoning you buy at the store?  If so I think I have some and can check the ingredients.  Just let me know if that's what you mean, I always think of chili powder as cayenne powder myself...   :D
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »
I meant like the mccormick spices?  On the jar it just says chili powder, spices and salt, and some silicon dioxide to prevent caking.  I was just wondering how to make my own, without the added stuff that might be in theirs, I'm wondering if there is msg or something in there. 

Is cayenne the only chili powder?  I know it's great to use, but it's a little hot.  :o  And the chili powder from the store is a little milder.

wendy

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
Check out this site:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-chili-powder.htm

Basically, the milder version of chili powder is made out of red chilis.  The hotter version is made out of Cayenne - but it will usually say cayenne on it.  Of course each brand is going to have a difference in heat depending on what ratio they use to blend the spices.  The brand I use also has pepper, garlic and "less than 2% SLCO Alurmina adedds ananticakin". :-\  Maybe I should look into making it myself also!!

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
I haven't looked at orcuttranch's link, but I bet they use a lot of paprika in the blend to cut the heat.  Paprika is technically a chili (I think) but it's flavor is more sweet/smoky than hot.  HTH
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »
The back of my Simply Organic brand chili powder jar lists the ingredients as chili powder, cumin, oregano, corriander, garlic, silicon dioxide, allspice, cloves.  A little different from the recipe on orcuttranch's link.  Annoying that it doesn't say WHAT type of chili powder the first ingredient is!
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 07:00:14 PM »
Ground hot pepper of any kind by itself is chile powder, if you blend it with other spices it's chili powder.

At least that's how it's supposed to be. Sometimes it's mislabeled so be sure to always read the ingredients. Otherwise you could be in for a big surprise.  :o :o

The ingredients in chili powder vary b/c each person or manufacturer makes their own blend. If you want to make your own experiment with different blends until you come up with one you like. Start with small amounts (just in case it doesn't turn out the way you wanted  ;)) & then once you figure out a blend you like you can make it in large amounts.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:29:56 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone.  I never thought of paprika being in there.  I wasn't sure what kind of chile peppers would be in there.  I'll have to experiment I guess, since I have a big bag of cayenne pepper.

wendy

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:54 AM »
Ground hot pepper of any kind by itself is chile powder, if you blend it with other spices it's chili powder.

Hey - that's nice to know.  I did think it was weird that chili powder was spelled differently than a chile (i.e. poblano chile).  Thanks for the info!