Author Topic: Baby skin bad, excema 5 mo old  (Read 10621 times)

Offline nadeljill

• Learning
Baby skin bad, excema 5 mo old
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
I have a 5 month old baby girl with VERY sensitive skin AND cradle cap. I have tried TONS on her cradle cap, and literally nothing helps. I know she will grow out of it, but I have seen her scratching her own scalp! I have tried dandruff shampoo, California Baby shampoo, olive oil, baby oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, A & D ointment, butter, a natural cradle cap oil, and others. Her skin is also very bad, and I have been putting Hydrocortisone ointment on it, as the Dr. suggested. I have tried all the regluar lotions and they just dry her skin out more. I have tried an Aveeno baby daily moisturizing lotion, and that is ok. I have also used Eucerin lotion, and Premium Triple Formula cream, as well as coconut oil on her skin. It gets red and raised bumps all over, esp. patches on her face, forehead, shoulders/ neck and lower legs. Does anyone have any ideas that I can try? I have looked on the web a little for things to do with cradle cap, and that is where I got most of the list above.

I have 3 older children, and they had cradle cap as well, but not this bad. My oldest also has excema, as does my DH. I have seasonal allergies, and he also had allergies as a child, and asthma too. My Dr. said I could eliminate some foods from my diet to see if that makes a difference, but I am pretty sure she is not allergic to milk. I am trying to eliminate nuts/ peanuts from my diet now. She has been this way since she was tiny, so I don't think the baby food makes a difference. She is a happy baby, with lots of smiles and sleeps well. Just her skin is the problem. Any ideas?? Please help!

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Re: Baby skin bad, excema 5 mo old
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »
I am not very familiar with cradle cap, but it sounds like black walnut tincture may help.  :)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
Hi well, there is a thread SOMEWHERE on here BUT I think one things was that from birth that we should just clean the babies with dead sea salt and warm water to prevent any skin probs. i think it is even suggested that cradle cap is actually caused from other stuff being used. I was planning on sticking with the DSS idea with this one with a little lavendar oil everyonce in awhile but i forgot about the bath at the hospital and the junk they use so she already has yucky skin. I am planning on continuing with the DSS baths only for awhile though-she is only 2 days old- but i will let you know if it helps clear her up!! Hope that helps a little.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:33:54 AM »
Look to her tummy.  Literally.  Anyone (infants included) that has eczema has got food allergies or severe sensitivities.  It sounds like you're not nursing exclusively at this point so you should start an elimination diet.  I know you said you didn't *think* she was allergic to milk but how do you know that?  Dairy is a huge allergen for people with skin issues.  As are nightshades.  I would recommend you start by eliminating all dairy from both your diets (if you're still nursing).  Do that for 30 days and see if you get any improvement.  If you get some but not complete then I would eliminate the following foods for 30 days at a time (in addition to the food before it) until she's clear.  Gluten, eggs (use duck eggs), and nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants).  Starting with the dairy first though.

My experience has been she is likely allergic to one or some or all of these things.  Her skin should clear with each passing month as you remove this stuff from both your diets. 

You should stop the hydrocortisone cream as that is only going to cause other issues long term (yeast, etc.).  You can try Berts Bees Coconut Foot Cream or Burts Bees Banana Hand Cream to see if that helps.  As I was removing foods from my son's diet using those actually healed his skin.  But they are NOT a substitute for removing foods.    Her skin will not get better without removing allergens.  We also use DSS bathes for comfort and soothing.  AS KN said, I wouldn't use anything else on her.  That will only make it worse.

We also used to have DS soak in DSS bathes for quite some time as it would soothe his skin and he wouldn't itch so bad.  Just pat the skin dry when she's done - don't rub it. 

I would encourage you to work on the diet aspect now as it only becomes more difficult as they get older (and causes more problems) if you tell yourself she's not allergic to certain foods when she really might be. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline all4him

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »
my midwife use to tell me to use baby oil, but now she says not to use it, as that is what causes cradle cap! she says to get the baby shampoo worked up to a  lather, and take a fine tooth comb gently across the scalp to scrape off the cradle cap-and make sure to rinse well!  that has seemed to work with my last few babies- try to get a natural shampoo if you can. My one ds had a rash on his belly one spring /summer when he was about 5 months old- I did take him to the dr., and the dr told me it's eczema-- he is now 8 yrs old, and this is the second spring that his eyes get so puffy and itchy! He also gets a bad rash behind his knees-- I think he may be allergic to the pollen in the air in spring?
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »
You know, I totally agree with this. My daughter has always had rough tiny bumps on her skin (her back and arms). This had occured ever since I could remember and now she is 4. It wasn't the organic body wash or shampoo I was using or the laundry soap. I eventually found out some other way that she had a milk intolerance. Now her skin is beautiful, soft and no bumps!!! I still need to find other calcium sources and so right now I give her red raspberry leaf tea, which has highly absorbable calcium :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:29:21 AM by southmom2k »
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »
My sis's baby had excezma and she found that ellimanating dairly and wheat from her diet has helped! also she made a cream w/ coconut oil and calendula and tea tree oil maybe...helps a lot. she first broke out when she used burts bee buttermilk soap or lotion...now she uses dr bonners baby castile and the coconut oil/calendula cream she made and has cut wheat and dairy from her diet.
Also with my daughter I have to use homemade laundry soap made with dr bonners baby castile, baking soda and GSE (+ water) PM me if you need any of these recipes if you're interested.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Hi, I am going through this right now with my 6 month old. First, I would suggest eliminating dairy and wheat. Eczema is usually a food allergy. Dairy and wheat tend to be the most likely culprits. I found it easier to eliminate the dairy and wheat at the same time. You have to take them out for a while before you will notice anything. At least a month to 6 weeks. I took those out, and her skin got a little better, but not completely. Then I took out eggs, corn, and soy. I wasn't as diligent with those, I kept slipping up.  :-[ I haven't completely figured it out, because I got so desparate for food that I didn't space things out enough adding them back in.  ;D But I am thinking that it might be milk and eggs. Anyway, I just want to encourage you to give it a try. It's really tough, I won't lie, but to see your baby rash free is so worth it.
Also, until you figure out what is causing it, California Baby has an excellent calendula cream you can try. I've tried all the creams and lotions and soaps between  all my babies that have had eczema. None of them really work, but this does. Bathe your baby in dead sea salt with no soap. And not every day, unless that seems to make his skin better. Baths seem to make my daughter's worse, so I don't give them very often. Then use the California Baby Calendula cream on the bad spots. It's not cheap ($11 for a small jar), but it is so worth it!
I hope you figure this out, and your baby gets better soon!
~Andrea
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline miamama

• Adept
    • Picking Up Socks for Jesus
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »
I have a 5 month old baby girl with VERY sensitive skin AND cradle cap...................... Does anyone have any ideas that I can try? I have looked on the web a little for things to do with cradle cap, and that is where I got most of the list above.

Here's my story and my take on your situation. 
My little guy is 3 months old.  At 3 weeks he took 7 days of antibiotics for a respiratory infection.  About 2 weeks later, he started getting little red spots on his face.  Some raised, some not.  Over a week or so, it spread to his whole face, head, neck, shoulders, and beginning down his chest and back, with it being crusty around his nose and eyebrows.  Cradle Cap also began to form. I tried many different things (Virgin Coconut Oil, Dead Sea Salt, Olive Oil, various tea washes.....) The coconut oil seemed to make his skin really warm, and made him smell like mildew, so I only used it a couple times.  At our 6 week visit, my midwife said she thought it seemed like yeast (though he never had any problem in his diaper area). Knowing VCO is antifungal, I went home and read more about it.  It actually explodes the nucleus of yeast cells (therefore killing them :) --- and I assume that's what caused the mildew smell ) So, I gave it another go, applying it 2-3 times a day. After two days there was remarkable improvement, and now his skin is clear. I still apply the VCO once a day to keep everything under control. 
I definitely think there is a larger yeast issue we need to deal with internally, but with this being my 4th baby in 5 1/2 years........ I'm OK with just keeping his skin from looking freaky right now. :)
Anyway, you might try sticking it out with the VCO for a week or so and see what happens.  If it helps, then You might look into things to get rid of internal yeast.
Visit my blog   Picking Up Socks for Jesus
http://www.pickingupsocksforjesus.blogspot.com

Offline nadeljill

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »
WOW! Thanks! I knew you all could help! Sounds like I need to try diet elimination more diligently, and dead sea salt baths. Thanks for ideas and encouragement!

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »
 totally  WENT THROUGH IT!!!!

Ok heres my take:

Eat nothing except meat and veggies , a bit of fruit, and brown rice to start, NO FISH, NO DAIRY < NO SUGAR< NO EGGS<no bread, nothing else

Basically nothing but meat and veggies, Have butter oils, fats, fine, if you drink tea try soy creamer, to start, I can't type everything now but My BABY WAS A NEW BABY AFTER THAT!!!!!took  two weeks to see a big difference, but any flare ups with the eczema were over!

Just live on meat and veggies! have very little fruit but have some...baby too. NO BREAD<pasta, NUTIN" Its hard, but ITS WORTH IT!!!!!

My baby was soft and smooth, she was about 7 months before I buckled down and did it....yay!

Excema will be completly GONE

Offline nadeljill

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips... I think it is ironic that you don't need to drink milk to make milk. I have heard that before, but I am just saying it is ironic...
BTW, I have also been taking fish oil caplets, and I think it has helped me skin, but not hers. Hmm... Also, I always use Dreft laundry det. on her clothes. I am very diligent about this, since I know her skin is sensitive.

On our recent vacation, I put baby sunscreen on her, and she broke out. Any ideas about a good sunscreen for her? I kept her out of the sun more after that...

I am working on cutting out milk/ dairy first. Is butter ok? I love butter... will try to eat less bread, etc., We'll see how it works! Thanks again for the help!
jill

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 05:56:31 PM »

I am working on cutting out milk/ dairy first. Is butter ok? I love butter... will try to eat less bread, etc., We'll see how it works! Thanks again for the help!
jill

Jill,

Butter depends on the severity of an allergy.  All six of us in my house are very allergic to milk/whey BUT, 5 of us can handle butter.  One cannot.  But the one that can't do butter can't do beef either just because milk comes from beef; so that shows you how sensitive he is.  I think initially you should cut out butter and maybe in 30 days see if you can add it back in.  You'll notice new eczema if it's an issue. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.