Author Topic: Freezing Frosted/Decorated cakes  (Read 5589 times)

Offline *1SillyFrog*

• Dont worry about tomorrow...Gods already there
  • Adept
  • WI morning glories :)
Freezing Frosted/Decorated cakes
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:21:37 AM »
Hey everyone!
Does anyone have any tips/info/advice about freezing an already decorated bday cake? And how to thaw it properly with out getting condensation "dew" on it!? lol
I am making my friend his bday cake (a motorcycle!! lol). It will be a marble flavored cake with buttercream frosting in like 4 colors (blue, black, white, gray). The problem is I live in AZ, he lives in WI...
I thought about trying to ship, but decided against it after reading disasterous stories! :o

However, Im visiting WI in June 4th-8th, his party is on June 20th...so i've decided to just make the cake while im there and have him freeze it until the party...
I've read lots about this online, but im just wondering i any of you had any personal experience with this!?
ANY info will be soaked up like water to a sponge!!  ::) ;)
TIA!

~1SillyFrog 8)

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
Re: Freezing Frosted/Decorated cakes
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:47:05 AM »
I've had frozen cakes before my sis has done this w/o problems, what she made never condensated, I don't see that it would unless it were warm when you put it in the freezer and it wouldn't be warm to frost it,  so I see no troubles.
If your worried about condensation in the thaw process you might try thawing it in the fridge.
I would make one up now and try it to see how it does and that would give you experience  or try cup cakes and thaw some in the fridge and some on the counter to see what does best.
I had a friend make frosting up in advance and freeze it in small portions and she just took out what she needed for each time and left the rest frozen.
I say play around before you go and you'll be confident when the time comes.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:51:07 PM »
Like many people, I froze part of my wedding cake & it thawed just beautifully. Practising on cupcakes is a great (& tasty) idea  ;)

Offline *1SillyFrog*

• Dont worry about tomorrow...Gods already there
  • Adept
  • WI morning glories :)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »
Yes that is a great idea!!!!
Thanks very much! I will be trying a practice cake...or cupcakes!! ;)

Anyone else??

Thanks again!! :)