Author Topic: Excercise for weight loss  (Read 7978 times)

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
Excercise for weight loss
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:45:41 AM »
Wow, lots of topics about weight loss and food, but I don't see any on just excercise for weight loss. 

I'm really convinced that for some people (like me), it's not so much the food that makes for the weight gain but a slow matabolism.  I actually eat LESS than my children and they are all lean, slim and healthy.  The difference has got to be matabolism!  Right?  ???  Seems it's more an issue of under-excercising than over-eating - at least for me it is.  :)   Anyone else seem to fall into this category?

For me diets take up way too much mental energy for me...the planning, measuring and the constant thought of it.  I always fail with diets.
But I find that with just working out, after just 30-45 minutes, I am DONE for the whole day -never to think of it again.  I love that. :D   Plus I find it lifts my mood, makes me more amble, regulates my hormone levels and I recently found out that it makes me less prone to mild viral infections such as colds or flu.  Cool!  8)  I know there are scores of other benefits that we can remind and encourage one another in, too.

So, I'm hoping to find some ladies here who are interested in starting (or who already started) a regular excercise routine so we can give and get some encouragement, support, ideas, share successes, etc. from time to time.

I have a few different workout dvds, but right now my favorites are the Leslie Sansone's walking dvd's because they are an easy starting point and pretty fun. So far, I'm working out 30-45 minutes, 5 (or more) days per week.  My goal is to make it a habit and a lifestyle.  I'm conditioning myself by putting on workout clothes first thing in the morning. I end up working out somewhere between 9-11am.  My goal is to start at 7, but that is slow in coming. 
Ok, so...anyone else?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:24:50 AM by rainygladness »
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Re: Excercise for weight loss
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »
I hate diets too!!!  I am trying to eat CAD way with some success.  Exercising has always been key for me.  Recently, I've begun doing chicometrics twice a week (an hour each time), plus walking almost every day.  I try to do 20-30 minutes, but some days I'm lucky to get in 15.  Oh well, some is better than none right?
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
Wow, good for you, andysjess.  I had to google chicometrics, lol  :D -never heard of it!  It looks fun- kinda like pilates? 

I love outdoor walking, too, and miss it so much. I don't live in a walking friendly neighborhood anymore, tho. 

I'm beginning get addicted (in a good way) to my workouts.  I feel so great afterward! Endorphins just fly. Plus, it's usually the only time I ever have alone and it's nearly impossible to think of any of my troubles while I'm working so hard.  I love it. 

I've come to the conclusion that, for my healths sake, excercise has become a priorty next to eating, breathing and sleeping.  It is that important. My family is being supportive, even if I can't get my husband to join me (yet).  ;)  Today marks my 6th day of excercising in a row.  :D

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:55:56 AM »
That's awesome!!  I'm having to get my chicometrics in after the kids go to bed.  I would like to do it earlier but it's kind of hard when your kids think that you on the floor means it's time to wrestle...lol.

Today marks day 8 for me of solid exercising, so we're at about the same point.  Yay for us!!
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 05:56:49 AM »
Hey, 8 days for you, that is great!! I heard it takes 21 days to form a habit so we're well on our way.  ;)

it's kind of hard when your kids think that you on the floor means it's time to wrestle...lol.

rotflol...I remember those days so vividly. Working out lasted about 5 minutes that way. But kids being little such a short time, I was usually glad to roll around on the floor and play with them a bit before continuing. :)

Offline GardenandHomeLife

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »
Rainy, I could have written your first post in this thread exactly as you did.  I finally realized that, for me, it's about metabolism, too.  I eat so much better and less then everyone around me! 

So...what I've done that has been working over the past couple of  months is do the strength-training exercises in a book called "8 Minutes in the Morning http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060580852?ie=UTF8&tag=keepingthehom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0060580852.  You can also find strength exercises for free at http://sparkpeople.com

There is a lot of scientific evidence (a real light bulb moment for me!) when I started researching muscle building.  8 Minutes in the Morning explains it well, in laymen's terms. 

I've also lately added the exercise bike, and use that for time for prayer for the family.  It's out on the veranda with a lovely view, so I tolerate it a little longer than when it was indoors.  Still, I don't think I ever do more than 15 minutes on the thing.

And I kayak a couple of times a week as well.  For aerobic and strength. 

So, anyway, I wanted to write to let you know you're not the only gal out there who can't simply avoid certain foods in order to lose weight.  I'm in this spot, too! (argh) I couldn't figure out what to do until I started strength training. 

I can't claim much weight loss yet (just 5 lbs), but my husband has noticed and my clothes are definitely baggier.  Muscle takes up less space than fat, but weighs the same, so while I'm gaining muscle the scale looks like I'm not losing weight.   But, meanwhile, I'm losing inches off me, and gaining the fat-burning muscle.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »
I'm also one of those that cannot lose weight with diet changes.  I eat healthy and just the right amount but for me weight loss ONLY happens if I do weight lifting or some sort of strength training.  I was doing chicometrics and I LOVE it!  Unfortuanately, my garden has gotten the best of me right now but is also seems to be doing some muscle training so I still seem to be losing.  I'm not losing weight so much as inches.  I've lost two clothing sizes but only 5 pounds of actual weight.  I've been measuring every 4 sessions of the chicometrics (two weeks for me).  Sometimes I do chico 3x's a week but not normally.  My goal is to be back to my pre-baby weight days (with a few added squishy spots :P ) by June 24th (our 14th anniversary).  Then I'm going to ask for a perm!  Ahhh, the chemicals.  I know.   :-\

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
For me I've discovered that:

If I eat sugar and don't exercise I gain weight.

If I don't eat sugar and don't exercise I maintain weight, and

If I don't eat sugar (or limit it to 1 treat a day) and do exercise I will lose weight--about 1 pound a week.

For me, sugar and exercise seem to be the key factors in weight loss. Now, for a completely different spin...I am pregnant and have been losing weight steadily while eating sugar and not exercising!  :D This happened with my last pregnancy. I lost 15 pounds. Of course, it all came right back after baby was born and I continued eating sugar and not exercising!!  ::)

kate
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 03:02:17 AM »
I have not done well this week, as far as exercise goes.  I walked a mile Sunday night then was going to do chicometrics Monday night...didn't happen.  I had a sick migraine yesterday morning then a feverish baby all afternoon and evening, so.....

I'm going to try to get at least 30 min of chico in while the kids nap.  Once I get some momentum going, I'll exercise regularly but it's hard to get started.

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
Keep on keepin' on
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »
Well
My goal is to be back to my pre-baby weight days (with a few added squishy spots :P ) by June 24th (our 14th anniversary).
patti
  A few added squishy spots!  LOL!   :D  Amen, sister.

It is SO encouraging to know I'm not the only one on this road.   :) Loved reading all the things you gals are doing and what does or doesn't work.  You're all an encouragement to me! 

I, too, have had a hard time this week. Today is the first day I've had the time made the time for myself to excercise in 3 days.  Fought a bad headache the last two days and took one day off on purpose.
But this is where I am determined to overcome and just make the time.  There will always be something in life that wishes to stand in the way. Sometimes just going to the bathroom can cause a family search hunt for me. ::)   

For encouragement:

She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. Proverbs 31:17

Isn't this great? The virtuous woman lifts weights.  8)  So the more muscle mass we have the higher our resting metabolic rate is!  (And it helps tone our squishy spots  :D). 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:47:57 AM by rainygladness »

Offline mdessy

• Adept
  • Wife Mom Sister Friend UU Nutrition Educator
    • Grains&More
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
It's important to remember that you don't want to cut your food intake by too much, especially if you are adding exercise.  This can throw your body into "survival" mode and your metabolism will slow down even further.

Also important to help your body build up is to make sure that with each meal and each snack you are getting some protein.  Snack suggestions can be a handful of raw almonds, a couple of ounces of cheese, a yogurt, etc.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Re: Keep on keepin' on
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »

For encouragement:

She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. Proverbs 31:17

Isn't this great? The virtuous woman lifts weights.  8)   

LOL!!! LOVE it!!!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »
When excercising gets hard to keep up, here are some scientifically proven reasons to move, strengthen, gird and sweat;D  I got my excercise in today.  ;)

New brain cells development

Cognitive and mental function enhancement

Prevention of cardiovascular disease

Cholesterol lowering effect

Prevention and control of type 2 diabetes

Blood pressure lowering

Prevention of neoplastic (cancer) diseases

Reduced risk of stroke

Weight control

Muscle strength

Attractive body

Bone strength

Strong immune system

Better night sleep

Back pain remedy

Stress management

Alternative to antidepressants

Gastrointestinal tract benefits

Alternative to hormone replacement therapy for postmenopausal women

Longevity

Those are some good benefits!

Offline godsarmyof8

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 06:29:21 AM »
Hey guys, congrats on your goals and progress.  I am new to a lot of this way of thinking.  I just wanted to share an recent experience with I and my husband on losing weight/inches.  We have been heavily implementing the Weston Price way of eating and living.  Chemicals finally all removed, organics in as much as possible, fermenting, raw milk, changed oils and fats, etc.  We have implemented supplements, probiotics, enzymes and herbal remedies.  We did all of this, (and are still progressing as we learn), to heal our family's leaky guts.  As that is still in process, we got a side benefit; weight and inches lost!  My husband and I both have lost 3 sizes!  We are astonished! We are just now concidering toning with exercise. It has been a huge learning curve, but we have seen behavior changes, temper changes, size changes and overall wellness.  Still working on it!  Keep up the good work guys! God Bless!
On a quest for my family's wellbeing; spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, and financially. Basically searching for God's Will for His people, finding truths and dispelling one lie at a time.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »
I just finished P90X about 3 weeks ago.  I started round 2 yesterday.

It's intense, but fun (once you get past the first 2 weeks).  I lost about 4 inches in my waist, 2 in. in my hips, at least an inch/thigh, and <sigh> about a half in. in my bustiline.  However, when I did lose in my bustline, I did gain a ton of muscle there, so it didn't look quite so er....flat.

I lost very little weight, but I lost a ton of inches and now fit in clothing I haven't gotten into in awhile.  My BMI is 20.5 (I don't think this is very accurate, but since mine was good, I posted it..    ;D)

I also have really cool arm muscles now!!!

And I can do lots of pushups.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline westernskys

• Adept
    • Stories from the X-Bar Ranch
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
I just finished P90X about 3 weeks ago. 

What is this? ...forgive my ignorance! :-\
Home is where your husband is.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
I just finished P90X about 3 weeks ago.  I started round 2 yesterday.

It's intense, but fun (once you get past the first 2 weeks).  I lost about 4 inches in my waist, 2 in. in my hips, at least an inch/thigh, and <sigh> about a half in. in my bustiline.  However, when I did lose in my bustline, I did gain a ton of muscle there, so it didn't look quite so er....flat.

I lost very little weight, but I lost a ton of inches and now fit in clothing I haven't gotten into in awhile.  My BMI is 20.5 (I don't think this is very accurate, but since mine was good, I posted it..    ;D)

I also have really cool arm muscles now!!!

And I can do lots of pushups.

Whoa Floydian, you ROCK.  8) 8) 8)  I own it and have WATCHED it before.  :P  Actually, I tried it once and was unbelievably sore.  Someday, hopefully!  Actually, my hubby is the one who bought it for himself but hasn't had time for it yet. You are amazing.  I want to see pics, lol.  I love those before and afters that came with the p90x stuff.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:27:27 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline catherinewinglet

• Wide Eyed
    • Phenocal
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »
I usually do

Morning walk
Yoga and
swimming
These are the best exercises to lose weight.