Author Topic: The Beautiful Truth: Documentary proves cancer cure  (Read 15057 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
The Beautiful Truth: Documentary proves cancer cure
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »
I have started a new thread to discuss the documentary, A Beautiful Truth.  It is about a homeschooled boy's project to see if there is a cure for cancer, excluding drugs. 
For those who haven't seen it, there was the specific Gersen diet.  This was made up of primarily a vegan diet and veggie juices, and my favorite, of course, coffee enemas.  ;D
Anyways, my question is, there was a lot of promising data by the boy on the Weston Price diet, yet they recommended a vegan diet?  Was this vegan diet JUST for when you contract cancer?  Or do you think the documentary was recommending an overall and everyday vegan lifestyle?
Oh, if you haven't seen the movie, PLEASE DO!!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:05:23 PM by healthyinOhio »

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
Re: The Beautiful Truth: Documentary proves cancer cure
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »
HIO,
*Oh, if you haven't seen the movie, PLEASE DO!!!!*
Where do we see this?
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:55:20 AM »
It is available on Netflix instant stream or Blockbuster I believe.

After watching the movie, I think they are saying to stay on a vegan diet.  It was very informative, but did you notice they never ate meat in all their meals.  They didn't discuss meat at all.  I'm all for protein, also there's so much good to animal fat, (as Sally Fallon & Mary Eng have thoroughly convinced me as well as others).  I wonder what elements of the Gershen diet make it work for healing diseases & cancer? 

Alone, cutting out processed foods, eating organic fruits and vegetables, & the coffee enemas would be significant I think, (of course I'm just speculating).  What about grass-fed meats?   

Personally, I don't like the vegan part.  Fallon, Price, Eades, etc. all seem to have it right and they are definitely not vegan.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »

Personally, I don't like the vegan part.  Fallon, Price, Eades, etc. all seem to have it right and they are definitely not vegan.

Oh, I don't either. But I was trying to figure out if they were saying that the vegan diet was only to be cancer free or a lifestyle everyone should have.
I wish the movie would have been more explanatory, but I guess I will have to get the book to find out!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:47 AM »
HIO,
My impression was that when you are recovering from cancer ..... or curing cancer to remain on the juice/vegan diet.
I see truth in that because it takes extra energy for our bodies to process meat/diary/etc.... And you want all your body's energy going to healing/klling the cells that are bad.

This is just my opinion.... but if I had to do some extra healing efforts I would go vegan/juicing and then return to a Weston Price style diet after recevering or a reasonable amount of time.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:28:26 AM »
I haven't saw this video yet, but I know a lady who did this type of thing to cure her cancer.  It worked, and once she was declared cancer free she was able to go back to eating meat, she just had to grow and butcher it herself.  Her naturopath's felt that "certified organic" wasn't reliable enough, so she could only eat meat from chickens, cattle, and hogs that she'd raised and butchered herself.  For fruits and vegetables, she could buy organic at the store.  She did this for 15 years and was tested once per year for cancer and was clear each time.  So, I would think from what I've saw that the vegan/juicing was to cure, then "good" meats could be eaten to maintain.

Unfortunately, after 15 years she felt secure and complacent and started eating the 'normal' American diet again and quit raising her own meat.... the cancer came back immediately when she stopped and is now in her brain.  :'(
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:34:45 AM »

I see truth in that because it takes extra energy for our bodies to process meat/diary/etc.... And you want all your body's energy going to healing/klling the cells that are bad.

I totally agree!  Just wanted to make sure that I was on the right page assuming that the diet was meant for cancer therapy, and not a forever lifestyle change. Thanks!

Unfortunately, after 15 years she felt secure and complacent and started eating the 'normal' American diet again and quit raising her own meat.... the cancer came back immediately when she stopped and is now in her brain.  :'(

Oh, that is terrible!  Why on Earth would she stop??!!  So, will she try the diet, again?  Or is it terminal when it is in the brain?

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:46:41 AM »
Oh, that is terrible!  Why on Earth would she stop??!!  So, will she try the diet, again?  Or is it terminal when it is in the brain?

Honestly I'm not sure why she stopped.  She is a pastor's wife and one of the sweetest people you could imagine... I think she just felt she had so much to do and all the scare was 15 years ago so she thought that surely after 15 years she would be OK, but she wasn't.  It was like there were dormant cells in her body and as soon as there was something there to stimulate them, it just came back worse than ever.  I'm not sure if brain cancer is always terminal, but hers entered her brain through her blood and is throughout her whole body.  She is at the point now of being practically a vegetable.  Occasionally she has a lucid day and can talk to people, but not often.

"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 05:27:55 AM »
Anyways, my question is, there was a lot of promising data by the boy on the Weston Price diet, yet they recommended a vegan diet?  Was this vegan diet JUST for when you contract cancer?  Or do you think the documentary was recommending an overall and everyday vegan lifestyle?

We too had the same question after viewing it and this is our family's conclusion:

The documentary itself doesn't promote the diet as a lifestyle, they (father and son) only inform and give us info on the Gerson Therapy as a cancer cure. As for the Gerson folks, it was hard to tell from the docu whether they would recommend the diet for all the time. So I got The Gerson Therapy book and after scanning through that I feel that for the most part its promoted as a cancer (and other illnesses) cure. The diet is referred to as "an illness-fighting menu", "therapeutic program", nutritional therapy", etc.

Dr. Gerson himself suggested that, "in order to prevent disease, one should eat a good diet three-quarters of which should be vegetarian, nutritious, and cell-building foods, while the other quarter could be 'at choice'." The authors of the book (Gerson's daughter, Charlotte and Morton Walker, D.P.M.) say however, "Because he never anticipated how much industry and commerce would come to poison people and reduce the food value of what's eaten, Dr. Gerson's humanitarian food proportions are no longer valid. We urge instead that a person newly recovered from illness, as well as any normal and healthy individual who wishes to remain that way, would be wiser to use 90 percent 'defensive,' highly nutritious foods, and possible allow a mere 10 percent of their meals 'at choice'.

So, that answered our questions. In a nutshell, while the Gerson folks may like the diet as prevention for themselves, their writings, etc. really focus on the diet as a CURE. Keep in mind I haven't read EVERY word in the book yet. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:29:30 AM by lotsaboys »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 05:31:20 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, lotsaboys! They make perfect sense.  I just ordered the book last night, too.  So, thanks for the cliff notes!!  ;)

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »
Thank you as well lotsaboys....I was pretty put off by the vegan thing and I guess I let that get the better of me.  As a healing diet I have no problem and completely understand sticking with foods that do not bog down your system.

I guess I just assumed that they wanted you to continue with a vegan diet (without even reading the book - judgemental of me no?!)  :o
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
DH and I just watched this movie last night and I have been reading Max Gerson's results of fifty cases book for awhile (ya know, read a little then forget about it for a month  ::)) He and I really want to do this (the gerson diet) for 6ish months. The only problem being that, since I haven't finished the book, we don't have the hard and fast rules down. Right now we are aiming at raw fruits and veggies and juicing (we aren't too sure on the coffee enemas yet  :P ), but figure we will course correct as we learn more. So does anyone have more of the "rules" down? Or has anyone else done it? I will be dedicating time daily to get the book read asap, but more condensed info from you folks would help immensely.

ETA: After reading more on the Gerson site, I don't think we will do a strict gerson diet (neither of us has cancer after all) but rather something we base on his diet. Dh wants to do mostly raw and vegan (just for the 6 months, not as a permanent thing). I am still seriously interested in what others have done or think. We prefer to do our own version because we feel we need more healthy fats than is allowed by the gerson diet (I understand his reasoning, it's just not right for us right now) for instance some avocado and coconut oil. We also aren't worried about having some higher sodium veggies like celery or cucumber.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:36:18 AM by amy3js »
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:00:56 AM »
HIO,
My impression was that when you are recovering from cancer ..... or curing cancer to remain on the juice/vegan diet.

This is just my opinion.... but if I had to do some extra healing efforts I would go vegan/juicing and then return to a Weston Price style diet after recevering or a reasonable amount of time.

Is there a place to watch this video on line for free?

I have to agree with the vegan diet. I had a distant cousin do that and it greatly helped slow down his fast spreading brain cancer. He was given a year or less to live. He set out to find natural means to help prolong his life with better quality and found out about vegan diets. This prolonged his life for 5 more years. 5 more years to spend with his kids verses 1 year is really good IMO. I know when I'm sick and bogged down if I go to what I call the origional garden of Eden diet AKA vegetarian or vegan I feel much better.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:14:47 AM »
HIO,

Is there a place to watch this video on line for free?

I have to agree with the vegan diet. I had a distant cousin do that and it greatly helped slow down his fast spreading brain cancer. He was given a year or less to live. He set out to find natural means to help prolong his life with better quality and found out about vegan diets. This prolonged his life for 5 more years. 5 more years to spend with his kids verses 1 year is really good IMO. I know when I'm sick and bogged down if I go to what I call the origional garden of Eden diet AKA vegetarian or vegan I feel much better.

I don't think there is, unfortunately. We watched it through netflix, which will let you watch instantly on your computer (or tv through xbox live) but you have to sign up for an account. They do offer a free 2 week trial so you are able to try out their service and see if it is something you would like/use.  :)

(edited to appease my conscience  :D ;) )
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:49:05 PM by amy3js »
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
I was able to get the movie on interlibrary loan.  You could try there.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »
I just watched this and it was very interesting.  I can't believe I haven't seen it until now.  The thing is I've spent hours researching it on the web and know I'm not so convinced about the Gerson therapy.  It seems like there can be serious complications from things like the coffee enemas and potassium supplements imbalances and perhaps not the greatest success rate, yet for some it has cured their cancer.   :-\  I'm so thankful for prevention and hoping I can use some of what I learned in the movie in that regard.  The woman from the treatment center in mexico was so young and beautiful.   :'(  I can't imagine having cancer and having to research all the options and make a decision about treatment. 
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 12:18:53 PM »
I've been researching the Gerson diet for a few months now and then we learned 2 months ago that my son has a tumor in his jaw bone.  It is not cancerous, so we are trying to shrink it via the Gerson diet.  It's hard to get a 17 YO to do this!  We are doing the (near) vegan diet, the juicing (not consistently), working on the 'coffe breaks' once a day, and using castor oil packs.  I've read Results of 50 Cases, The Gerson Diet (which has been replaced by Healing the Gerson Way...not all the way through that book yet), and seen the movie.  I felt like God had me looking into these things 'for such a time as this.'  The books tell you that you must stay strictly on the diet for two years if you are to cure cancer.  The problem they have with meats and such (and veggies, for that matter) is the unclean growing/processing practices.  This is a cleansing diet.  I makes a lot of sense to me.  It's just so hard to keep up with and hard to keep a growing boy fed and not hungry.  We only plan to do this until the tumor is small enough to be removed from inside his mouth instead of from the outside with possible disfiguration, nerve damage and a bone graft.  I'm adding some other 'tricks' to this but I'm not using the supplements.  Buying only organic is also something I'm not doing but I'm choosing only to do non organics based on the 'dirty dozen' and 'clean fifteen' lists.  Any other insights would be great!  I will say that I think the success rate is so much higher than chemo that this would be one of my first choices if I did have cancer! 

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 05:21:49 AM »
You can watch it on YouTube for FREE.  Every 7-10 minutes you have to click on the next segment...but atleast its FREE!! ;)
-Sarah

Offline Blessed Mama

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »
The Gerson Institute which is in California offers workshops a few times a year through which you can become a Certified Gerson Caregiver. It may be something worth investigating for someone looking at this Gerson Therapy option as part of their ( or a loved one) treatment plan if they have Cancer or other illnesses. Go to www.gerson.org to get more information.