Author Topic: Medicaid what do you know about it?  (Read 9986 times)

Offline dleeandcc

• Learning
Medicaid what do you know about it?
« on: September 20, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone knew the pros and cons of medicaid.
I've read some on the internet about it, but I don't know if their are any ketches to the program.  I'm expecting number 2 and I already have a 10 month old g. I did have insurance on myself which included her and lets just say that it was more than our mortgage. So all we have now is a supplement that pays for hospitalization. Some one also told me about FAMIS along with medicaid for preg women. If anyone has some tips or helpful info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Christina

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Medicaid what do you know about it?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 03:57:25 PM »
As far as I know medicaid is for single mothers, foreigners, or really poor people.  I had medicaid when I was a single mother.  It paid for everything 100%.  But you have to be working so many hours to get it, or I should say earn it.  I dropped it when I got married.  I don't remember much else.  Is this what you are looking for?

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:18:08 PM »
I think it may vary state to state....?  I had insurance with my first pregnancy, but with the second we didn't have insurance.  In Michigan, there is a program called MiChild that covers EVERYTHING for pregnant women & their babies until the baby is 3 months old.  This is what I had.  After Noah was 3 months, I lost my insurance.  My two children still have coverage.  What I'd suggest you do is go to the Family Independance Agency (aka Dept. of Human Services) or the Health Dept. in your county & see what they suggest. 
Hope that helps...

Nickole

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 04:55:08 PM »
The qualifications for regular Medicaid and pregnancy Medicaid (pink card instead of the blue card) are completely different here in NC.  We would never qualify for reg. Medicaid yet I qualified for pregnancy Medicaid during my last pregnancy.  Perhaps it's as easy where you live - it's worth finding out!  Here, I just called Social Services (they are SO nice, yet I prefer not to go in the office  ::) )and they sent me an application and I sent it back.  Ask if you can do that - MUCH easier.  Also, here your baby instantly qualifies for regular Medicaid for one year since you were on pregnancy Medicaid.  That's NICE.  B/c Medicaid pays for EVERYTHING!  I had no problems, found a CNM who accepts it and everything.  It was my best pregnancy and delivery and everything. 
I also have no qualms about accepting gov't help esp. when I see so much of my taxes going to public education which I will never "benefit" from!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »
We have one of our children on a form of medicaid that is for Americans with disabilities. Because we have private insurance, this takes care of any co payments or medical expenses that are not covered (which are few). We pay a LOT of money in taxes, both local, state and federal. Our property taxes continue to go up while they raise other taxes in order to pay for our failing school system. In addition to our taxes, we also completely fund our own children's education. We would have never thought of going through the application process except that our child has special needs and this branch of medicaid is required by our government to offer its coverage to citizens that are labeled "disabled." Even with private insurance, we could not have afforded to fund the remaining $10,000 of uncovered expenses that were required for major, life-saving surgery when our little one was 7 months old.

With recent changes in the filing system of medicaid, we have found that even the simplest prescription can take days of phone calls between the pharmacist, medicaid, the doctor and us to get it filled. This is on medicines that were previously approved without a problem. I don't know WHAT they would do if we had an emergency! Thankfully, we haven't needed an Rx in a while for our little one.

In my first paragraph, I explained you what no pharmacist, or most health care workers know. All they see is medicaid stamped on our little guy's chart. He is the only family member covered by this insurance. They take one look at me in conservative clothing with little ones in tow and assume that we are expecting the government to fund our family. I have been treated rudely by workers at the pharmacy so many times that I finally complained to the head pharmacist and explained to him all that I've told you. He understood and said that I shouldn't have been treated that way. However, one little talk with the employees won't stop them from assuming the worst when they see you again.

You MUST do what is best for your family and their health. Just know that if you go this route, you must be willing to endure a lot of false assumptions and sidelong glances. I wish it weren't true. This has just been our sad experience. I would talk with dh and seek his leadership in the matter and proceed with the process if he instructs . . . . AND do so with a clear conscience that you have prayed over the matter, yielded to your head and aren't answerable to the billing clerks.

Just my $.02 (personally funded) ;)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »
The state of South Carolina is alot like NC from what Nickole said, but it will vary state to state.  Here is fairly easy to qualify for Medicaid for pregnancy.  The baby will automatically be covered up to 1 year of age.  Then you would have to re-apply.  Pregnancy Medicaid will cover everything you wouldn't be charged for anything at all.  We were covered by this with my second pregnancy.  My husband had changed jobs and wasn't yet eligible for insurance coverage.  I was surprised at how liberal the amount to qualify was.  That was nearly 10 years ago though.  We dropped it soon after he was born because hubby's ins. covered him at birth.  The first few doctor's visits seemed a bit intrusive until we dropped the M'caid.  I suppose there are certain things they are required to ask.  They started asking personal questions about home life, etc. Once we had private ins. they no longer did this. 
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 04:25:42 AM »
In my first paragraph, I explained you what no pharmacist, or most health care workers know. All they see is medicaid stamped on our little guy's chart. He is the only family member covered by this insurance. They take one look at me in conservative clothing with little ones in tow and assume that we are expecting the government to fund our family. I have been treated rudely by workers at the pharmacy so many times that I finally complained to the head pharmacist and explained to him all that I've told you. He understood and said that I shouldn't have been treated that way. However, one little talk with the employees won't stop them from assuming the worst when they see you again.
This differs from state to state.  I had medicaid with my first in Missouri about 14 years ago.  I had medicaid and doctors were difficult to find.  I finally found one and this guy had so many patients, he scheduled 10 of us at a time and we usually had to sit for 3 hours waiting because he would be busy delivering a baby at the hospital.  I wanted the use of this particular hospital over the county (poor) hospital so I suffered through the long waits, bad bed side manner.

After I moved to Iowa, I had a really good job and really good insurance for #2.  I went to a really nice hospital with great patient to professional ratio.  I felt like a queen.  The nurses were attentive and caring and my prenatal visits were awesome.  I felt like the doctor really cared for me and baby #2....

then #3 came along and I was jobless and insuranceless again.  I signed up for Iowa medicaid.  I was able to use all the same doctors and the same hospital and all the same perks and bonuses I had with #2.  The only difference was the copays.  There weren't any. ;D 

Make sure whatever advice you get that it's related to your state.  I would ask someone in your state about their experiences with it- good or bad.  If it's a state where it's hard to get service (like MO) then they might be able to recommend a doctor, or if it's a good one like (Iowa) then you can nearly go anywhere you want.  I have yet to find a doctor who doesn't take it.  Some dentists and some optometrists (Whylies does!) don't but that's about it. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:04 PM »

You MUST do what is best for your family and their health. Just know that if you go this route, you must be willing to endure a lot of false assumptions and sidelong glances. I wish it weren't true. This has just been our sad experience. I would talk with dh and seek his leadership in the matter and proceed with the process if he instructs . . . . AND do so with a clear conscience that you have prayed over the matter, yielded to your head and aren't answerable to the billing clerks.

Just my $.02 (personally funded) ;)

i agree with SC, i have been treated very rudely by a dentist (receptionist) even after i wasn't on it any more, after having been on it for pregnancy.  i was told that she would have to talk to the dentist, to see if he would LET me reschedule my appt.  >:(  i had a screaming baby, and my babysitter that i had lined up had the flu.  i told her i would find another dentist.  my favorite chiropractor doesn't accept it.  my kids are all on it, mainly because we don't want to pay the extra hundreds of dollars per month for our kids that i don't ever take to the dr.  i would love to take them to the chiro, but now i can't because it's not covered by medicaid and not accepted by him anyway.  and it would be over a hundred $$ per visit.  so we just keep the medicaid in case someone breaks a bone or something.  i had them on hawk-i, (which is great coverage and widely accepted, no co-pays or anything! but it's for those who make to much to be on medicaid) but they bumped us to the medicaid, not sure why and i tried, but they won't move us back.  i guess it's income related or something.  anyway, just be careful, and check to see if your dr. or midwife accepts it, before you make any decisions.  i would rather not be on it and as soon as we can afford to we will put the kids on with our ins.  there are separate plans with ours ins. and we have the one that doesn't include kids right now, cuz it's a LOT less $$. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:26:46 PM »
i would love to take them to the chiro, but now i can't because it's not covered by medicaid and not accepted by him anyway. 
Chiropractics isn't paid by a lot of PPO's and HMO's either.  This is really not uncommon.  The way around this is to go to a D.O.  I've been going to D.O.s for back manipulation for years.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:45:21 AM »
Wow, I have had none of these problems with Medicaid, people treating me rude, etc.  Maybe it's b/c we aren't in a big city?  Maybe it's because I think a large percentage of people around my neck of the woods are on Medicaid.  Lots of poor people.  I had heard it may be hard to find someone to take it b/c some docs in the city have a limit, but I got a recommendation from a friend of someone she went to for her prenatal so I really didn't have to hunt someone down.  It was an hour away but that's really no big deal where we are.  And even in that town, lots of poor, lots of young girls coming in pregnant, so hence probably a lot of "Medicaiders" (I love to coin new words ;D).  So I never got the brush off at all, and even now when we take our kids in to not-so-poor doc areas.  So maybe it's just the location.  Dunno.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 02:42:21 AM »
Wow, I have had none of these problems with Medicaid, people treating me rude, etc.  Maybe it's b/c we aren't in a big city?  Maybe it's because I think a large percentage of people around my neck of the woods are on Medicaid.  Lots of poor people.  I had heard it may be hard to find someone to take it b/c some docs in the city have a limit, but I got a recommendation from a friend of someone she went to for her prenatal so I really didn't have to hunt someone down.  It was an hour away but that's really no big deal where we are.  And even in that town, lots of poor, lots of young girls coming in pregnant, so hence probably a lot of "Medicaiders" (I love to coin new words ;D).  So I never got the brush off at all, and even now when we take our kids in to not-so-poor doc areas.  So maybe it's just the location.  Dunno.

you are probably right about location.  i am "dr" ing in a large "town" but not even big enough to be called a city.  it is a college town, and has too many snooty people!  they seem to have the impression that "Medicaiders" don't keep their appts., "no-show", etc.  i will be glad when we don't need it anymore.   8) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline momof2

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 10:38:15 AM »
Both of my children are on Medicaid in Missouri.  We have had wonderful service with Healthcare USA which is the branch of insurance we chose.  You can choose between 3 different insurances and that was the branch that had our doctor.  If you have not had insurance for yourself or the child(ren) in question, then you are eligible for Medicaid insurance if you make anything less than 45,000/year household income for a family of four I believe.  The 6 months no insurance coverage is a must in Missouri.  After 45xxx/year, you are still eligible up to 56,000/year income for a family of 4 but you pay a monthly premium depending on where you fall in between.  At one time ours was $24/month for both of our children.  Now we pay no premium because my husband changed jobs.  They even cover the both parents if the income is low enough.  When we first moved to Missouri, we actually qualified for the parental insurance...it was great because it helped us through a "jobless" short time.  Hope this helps

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:52:28 AM »
I had an emergency situation shortly after the delivery of my last child. I had a home birth and we were between insurance coverages with my husbands job. We applied for Medicaid for that incident and because of the income/kid ratio we were excepted. I only applied for one child. A lot of paper work but it was nice not to have 30,000 in hospital bills. I felt kinda cruddy..but hey it's gonna get used, I'm paying taxes, I take care of my kids, and I really needed it at the time. I was never treated any differently. I hope you find something that helps. We have a program in FL called Florida kid care and like someone said earlier, you can find out through your local health dept. I think it was like 10$ a month for each kid or something. I was considering it, but my husband has insurance now.  :) Oh, I think you may have a limited choice of doctors or something.

Also I appreciate all ya'll's support through your taxes to the public school system. My kids go to a public school that is top notch as far as I'm concerned. Let's be careful not thumb our noses to the public schools. As a homeschooled girl, I know how easy that is to do.....considering that my mom was a superior teacher.  ;D
We have to be faithful in all situations. It's all about the homelife. ;)

"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »
If one has medicaid is it manditory to get Vacs?
do any of you see that as a potential prob?
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18:31 PM »
This thread would probably help:

Vaccinations: Dealing With Doctors & Pressures

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:17 AM »
If one has medicaid is it manditory to get Vacs?
do any of you see that as a potential prob?

No!  It is no more of a problem than it may normally be when talking with your pediatrician or ER. 

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 03:01:32 AM »
It's not mandatory to gey vaccs or do any other type of medical procedure on Medicaid.  You are supposed to take them in for "well child check ups," but may easily decline vaccs, like everyone else.  There are great docs who accept Medicaid, my regular doc did, and so did my kid's dentist even though she wasn't on the list.  Call and ask!
mama of 5

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:25:44 AM »
I discussed with my doctor about refusing some vaccines, and we have full coverage Medicaid. It was an option to refuse! I dont know what we would do if we didnt have Medicaid, as we have 4 children. :D