Author Topic: Chew Chew diet  (Read 4687 times)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Chew Chew diet
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I found this theory/diet online that says if you chew each bite 32 times, and eat only a few meals a day, you will lose wieght. I thought it was kinda funny. ;D I practically inhale my food. I think this would help me to get my eating slowed down considerably.  I think the food would be mushy liquid by the time you got done chewing 32 times!!! I am having a hard time losing wieght. I may give it a go. Supposudly, you get so tired of chewing, your cravings/ desire for food diminishes.

Offline westernskys

• Adept
    • Stories from the X-Bar Ranch
Re: Chew Chew diet
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:24:04 AM »
I met a couple who did this - they said they rarely/never ate with others, because it took then so long to eat a meal!  :P like 45 min or something! Anyways, their reasoning was that you an digest your food much easier if its already mush...my experience is; by the time i get to chew #15, most of my food has dissappeared!  :o ::) I mean, i dont consciously swallow, so it must just be liquified, and slide down on its own! :D  I never thought of it as a weightloss tool before, but they say it takes 5 min or so for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full, so I think it would definitely help. I can eat 3 pieces of cheescake in 5 min!  ;D lol!
Home is where your husband is.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »
I met a couple who did this - they said they rarely/never ate with others, because it took then so long to eat a meal!  :P like 45 min or something! Anyways, their reasoning was that you an digest your food much easier if its already mush...my experience is; by the time i get to chew #15, most of my food has dissappeared!  :o ::) I mean, i dont consciously swallow, so it must just be liquified, and slide down on its own! :D  I never thought of it as a weightloss tool before, but they say it takes 5 min or so for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full, so I think it would definitely help. I can eat 3 pieces of cheescake in 5 min!  ;D lol!

WOW....45 minutes! Thanks for sharing! :)

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
I can see the benefits of this, however, if you have any TMJ issues (like jaw pain, clicking sound when you chew) you will probably want to avoid anything that causes extra wear and tear on the jaw joint. A dentist could probably advise you on how your teeth are aligned and if this is likely to be an issue for you... something to watch out for, anyway.

You could also just take one bite every minute or two. That should slow down the eating process somewhat and allow you to achieve the full feeling without chewing constantly. I would think that counting chews would definitely interfere with dinnertime conversation.   :D

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:33:20 AM »
My Dh took me to a new Mongolian restaurant in town yesterday. They offered chop sticks and also had "training wheel" chop sticks. They put a little plastic thing at the top to connect the sticks and make it easier to use. My uncoordinated self could use all the help I could get!  ::)  All that to say, for me, using the chop sticks forced me to take much smaller bites , eat slower and fill up faster.

I got to thinking, maybe that is why Asian people are so thin. All the fresh veggies and rice plus smaller bites because of chopsticks.

Just my .02.

Leat

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:04:44 AM »
Ever heard the expression- Drink your food and eat your drink? - as in mixing your food and drink with saliva to aid in digestion.

Thoroughly mixing your food with saliva starts the digestion process and is supposed to increase assimilation from about 8 percent up to about 45 percent for the average person.  So it makes sense that if you are assimilating your food better that you will need less and will lose weight. 

It also saves money to get more value from the food you consume.  It is definitely food for thought!

Offline rebeccahuff

• Adept
  • www.homeschoolblogger.com/rebeccahuff
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:42:18 AM »
Ever heard the expression- Drink your food and eat your drink? - as in mixing your food and drink with saliva to aid in digestion.

Thoroughly mixing your food with saliva starts the digestion process and is supposed to increase assimilation from about 8 percent up to about 45 percent for the average person.  So it makes sense that if you are assimilating your food better that you will need less and will lose weight. 

It also saves money to get more value from the food you consume.  It is definitely food for thought!

Believe it or not, my kinesiologist/chiropractor (sp??) told me this a couple of years ago after my #5 baby was born. He said soooooo many problems would be cured if folks would do this! It's a hard habit to get into though...esp. when you're always in a hurry! (another problem he warned me about ;o)