Author Topic: UTI: Urinary Tract/Kidney/Bladder Infections  (Read 163188 times)

Offline wardermom

• Learning
Re: UTI: Urinary Tract/Kidney/Bladder Infections
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 04:09:00 AM »
It's wonderful that you are feeling better. UTIs are miserable.
A way that I have been able to stand cranberries with no sugar is to make a cranapple drink in the blender. Put some cranberries and apple with water in the blender. The apple helps improve the taste.
I've also taken uva ursi capsules successfully for some UTIs.
It's frustrating when you go to the dr and the test comes back negative when you have been battling a UTI for days. I know about that unfortunately.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 07:06:33 AM »
Hi, everyone,  I  have struggled terribly with this and unfortunately gallons of water and Cranberry and Vit C just wouldn't cure it for me. 

So, in case there is anyone else out there that has reoccurring problems I thought I would share what has worked for me.

Mine infections seem to hit fast and hard.  The kind of thing that keeps you sitting on the toilet moaning (i am not a screamer or I might be doing that  too >:() Heating pad on my tummy, leaning over pillow......................

Tons of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kidney Bladder Formula  - Contains:  Uva Ursi, Juniper Berry, Corn Silk, Horsetail, Burdock, Parley, Pippsissewa, & Goldenrood
And The recommended Cranberry and Vit C (I use E-mergen-C packs to get it in fast)
I will take two dropperfuls of the tincture and drink a big glass of water every 15 min until it starts to ease a bit.
I also  make and Kidney/Bladder Herbal Tea - bring water to a boil and simmer for 20 min
Uva Ursi, Hydrangea, Juniper Berries, Gravel root, and Parsley - I have a mix and just use 1/4 c for a quart of tea
Cool and drink 1/2 c every half hour. It is bitter, so you just down it quick.  After the horrible part passes I continue with tinctures every hour, for a bit and then several times a day.  Doing the same thing with the tea. After a nasty spell, I will take a cup of the tea and several dropper fulls of the tincture over the course of the next week until I feel like my kidney/bladder is cleansed and working normally again.  That way it doesn't reoccur right away again.

BTW.  I am now only having an infection about every 9-12  months instead of once a month.

It is worth a try if you aren't having success with the simpler treatment. Most people respond well to just C and cranberry, wish it worked that way for me too! :(

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 09:01:21 AM »
My four year old daughter has just gotten over a UTI.  I didn't go to the doctor to check for certain but every time she sat on the toilet she would be screaming and sobbing.  I just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice on this thread - I did a search on UTI after the first day and when she woke up the next day, i told her that we were going to drink cranberry juice (had already bought some the day before I found out that it's better in capsules or fresh etc) and loads of water all day PLUS she was going to eat blueberries and garlic and she could choose what she had in the morning and what she had in the afternoon ... this was a BIG choice for her because she hates both.  We had tears!! ofver the blueberries in her breakfast (which i was not at all sympathetic about because I love blueberries and I know how much they cost whereas to her they are 'yucky'!!)
Anyway, the combination of all the extra water, cranberry juice and blueberries did the trick because by late afternoon she was fine.  Didn't expect it to work so fast and SO pleased for it to be such a simple solution.

Question: A friend of mine said that UTI's are not very common in children but that if you get it once you are probably going to have recurring problems througout your lifetime with them.  Is this true?? 
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »
[quote]
Question: A friend of mine said that UTI's are not very common in children but that if you get it once you are probably going to have recurring problems througout your lifetime with them.  Is this true??[/color]

From what I understand, this is correct, if you have had a series of bladder infections you are prone to more.  Although, you can work at building up the immune system and the overall health of your kidney and bladder and it will GREATLY reduce the frequency and intensity of the struggle.  I, myself have been able "to get ahead" of this and usually am only hit when my immune system is down (i.e. over-tired, over-stressed, or coming out of another illness)
I didn't mention in my other post but I often add Immune Awake or the equivalent when I am treating a nasty case for myself, along with everything else.  Any immune help and healthy bacteria is what you need to work at.
Pro-biotics/Acidophilus are great for helping with this, too!  And easy for kids to take.

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 10:39:19 AM »
Question: A friend of mine said that UTI's are not very common in children but that if you get it once you are probably going to have recurring problems througout your lifetime with them.  Is this true?? 

Hi...

I can't remember the first time I had a UTI, but I was very young.  I got them consistently and then when I was about 6 or 7 years, the doctor told my mom no more baths for me.  Sometimes Mom would let me sit in 'clean' water then shower afterwards.  The UTIs continued on through my teen years, but not as frequently.  By my early 20s if I had one a year, that was a lot....compared to 8 to 10 a year (sometimes more) when I was younger.    Rarely do I get one now (knocking on 40s door....think it'll answer??).  The only trigger now it seems is not going to the bathroom when I have to go (holding it for too many days in a row) and after intimate relations if I'm not careful to go before and after.  Oddly enough, I never had one through any of my pregnancies. 

That's been my experience.  Glad to hear your daughter is doing better!!!

Blessings,
Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
Thanks  :D
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »
The only trigger now it seems is not going to the bathroom when I have to go (holding it for too many days in a row)

:o :o :o WOW  :o :o :o

That's some awesome bladder control you got there.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 08:15:45 PM »
:o :o :o WOW  :o :o :o
That's some awesome bladder control you got there.  ;)

ROFL!   ;D
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline bethj

• Learning
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »
Also to prevent UTIs, I've heard:

Don't use fabric softener

Wash underwear in warm water and in a gentle baby detergent or something like Ivory Snow

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »
Okay, before I give you my long diagnosis, my main question is:  Why am I still having kidney pain?

I have had about three UTI in the past year.  This past year I have woke up in the morning with kidney pain all to have it disappear when I urinate upon rising.  I had treated all the past with cranberry juice and blueberries with no problems.  Then, two weeks previous to my "near death" :D I noticed that whenever I drank anything other than water, my kidneys hurt within 10 min. or so.
Well, last week I had such awful pain in my abdomen and my kidneys that I almost fainted.  I got sweaty and almost vomited.  I thought it was a kidney stone or something, so I made an appointment to my doctor.  Within the time of making the appointment I continued to take the cranberry juice, water, lemon-water, dandelion tea, and eat blueberries.
The doctor did a urine test and ruled out any stones and said I probably have a severe bladder infection and it is now reaching my kidneys.  He does not support antibiotics very much, but said in my case he would need to recommend it, for he feels it has been going on too long.  So, don't hate me everyone, but I am taking an antibiotic!!  :o  I haven't been on one for over 15 years!!
Anyways, back to my original question.  I have been on the medicine for over a week and my bladder pain is gone, but I still have severe kidney pain.  What could the possibilities be?

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »
You might want to scroll up and read my other posts on this thread.  I know what you mean by "near death"  It is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(   >:(
Sounds like you need to do some major UT/Kidney Support.  I listed a tea and tincture,  You should go ahead and start doing that even if you aren't having any symptoms at the moment.  Plus anything like "Immune Awake" and/or Olive Leaf to help your immune system fight this beast.
  I hate to promise you this, but it will come back to haunt you again, probably soon.   >:(
Remember, that for some of us, (like me) to much Cranberry/Lemon etc.  Can mess up your ph and actually increase your problems.  Doesn't for most people but it can.
My sympathy is most truly with you!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:49:00 PM by chopchop »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »
Thanks for your help!!  I actually have a tea called:  Cran-Aid that is almost similar to the tincture that you mentioned.  It has uva ursi and marshmallow and cranberry, etc. in it.
I know that I am allergic to cranberries, lemons, and all citrus fruits, so I am wondering if I am having a hard time ridding myself of this because of the allergies.  I am just concerned that I have done damage to my kidneys, or something.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 07:16:11 PM »

Hi Healthy in Ohio,

I had a friend who went through something similar and instead of the antibiotics this is what she did:

Onion Puree Soup

Ingredients:
2 leeks, chopped
2 bunches of scallions, chopped
4 brown/yellow onions, chopped
2 purple onions or bunch of shallots or white onions if no purple onions, chopped
1/2 cup organic butter (one stick)
water

Use a pot large enough for all the chopped onions/leeks/scallions. Melt the stick of butter and add all the chopped onions/leeks/scallions. Saute until the onions start to look translucent. Then add water (I used bottled spring water) to cover all the onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from flame and let cool for a few minutes, then blend it all up in a blender until it’s creamy. Salt to taste. (I used sundried sea salt for added minerals. Celtic is a good brand. Don’t skimp on the salt, there are a good mix of minerals in natural sea salt).

I generally took a bowl or large cup of onion soup every hour throughout the day, and continued it twice a day for another 2 weeks for good measure even though I no longer had symptoms. I ate it either hot or cold. Didn’t seem to matter."

She had been having a terrible time with UTI's.  Everytime she went off antibiotics it came back and ended up hurting her kidneys.  You could try the soup for a few weeks and see if it helps your kidneys also.  I know she hasn't had trouble since she did this.  Kidney infections are hard to kick if they've been around (even a little bit) for awhile. 

I know most people recommend cranberry for UTI's but I actually think the onions and garlic are better.  They are antiviral/antibiotic whereas the cranberry and blueberries are more immune system builders. 

Hope this helps...

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 03:01:38 AM »
Thanks, Patti for the recipe.  Good thing that I enjoy onions.  That stew sounds good enough to eat even when I am not sick.
What about an onion poultice as well?  I could cook some to eat and grate some to wear.  I will be a walking onion factory.   ;)

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2006, 06:54:27 AM »
Here is a file that might be of interest to you, on this issue. 
It is notes from the kidney/bladder portion of my mom's basic health seminar.  The first page or two are very basic,  read the last page and a half for more indepth treatment of kidney related issues. 

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »
Hi, I'm here to see if any of you ladies have some wisdom for a friend of mine.  She has already browsed and searched here while at my home a week ago, but no answers for her current situation.

She's a couple of months pregnant with her second baby right now, and has had some really bad urinary tract infections.  She had 2 in a row in May/June, and is now working on her 3rd since the beginning of December.  She also has had an ear infection in the meantime.  Her doctor is about to order a 4th round of antibiotics for her (4 rounds within 2 months, I think), and thinks nothing of it, evidently.  (AACK!  These used to be MY doctors!)  Anyway, she is really really bummed and doesn't know what to do beyond the basic advice of cranberry juice, urinating before and after, etc.  She doesn't want to do anymore antibiotics, but is in some real pain from all these infections.  Plus, she doesn't know what she can and can't do during pregnancy.

I looked up all I could for her with my limited home resources, and I'm thinking probably some immune boosting stuff is a good start, but didn't know if anyone else had suggestions?  Thanks!
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
Look at this thread: UTI: Urinary Tract/Kidney/Bladder Infections.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

P.S. Thanks HB for puting the link in for me, ;D one of these days I will figure out how to do it myself. ::) ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:46:03 PM by herbalmom »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2007, 04:33:04 PM »
Look at the UTI thread for immediate relief, but I would strongly suggest treating for yeast and/or parasites and possibly even leaky gut eventually.  It sounds like she's a prime candidate for all three of these problems especially with all the rounds of antibiotics. 

IMO, at this point, her system is probably so overwrought with anitibiotics, if they help take the infection away, they probably couldn't do anymore damage than they've already done, but as soon as she's done with antibiotics, I would recommend she start a probiotic immediately and follow up with an anti-yeast regimin.

Treating Candida/Yeast While Pregnant
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2007, 04:56:54 PM »
I just skimmed this but I don't think anybody mentioned the herb called Marshmallow. It is AKA as Althea. It works well. I recommend it as a preventative. There are women who have taken this herb as a preventative and never gotten a bladder infection/ UTI again. It is also safe for children.

Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline chadzgift

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2007, 07:10:46 PM »
I had chronic UTIs with baby number 2 (started before pregnancy) and what finally seemed to corral them was 8-10 oz. daily cranberry juice (blueberry juice is supposed to be good too now they've discovered), LOTS of water (keep that urine moving!), very little sugar and forcing even just a little pee out EVERY time afterwards.
Diaphragms are bad bad bad too just as an aside.
I had only one or 2 more MAYBE and they stopped postpartum. I would now do VitC and garlic immediately and probably echinacea along with tylenol if necessary before going to anitbiotics but I knew nothing about herbs 20 yrs ago. :)
VitC 1000mg every 2 hrs till you get bowel intolerance or feel nauseated. I can take, easy, 8000mg and not feel sick if I'm sick to begin with. Remember LOTS of water too!
Garlic I take Kylo something or other (braindead here right at the moment, famous namebrand) and take 2 caps every 2 hrs also. Nausea will start when you've had too much. Probably I take 8 a day or so before my stomach says uh uh. Take with even a little food or don't take it. I can't just eat garlic as when I'm sick I'm SICK and not able to do stuff like that. :) My friend eats raw chopped garlic on buttered bread, like 20 cloves a day when ill. I can't do that either...
Echinacea I take in tincture and take a dropperful every 2 hrs. No limit here that I've found. Take up to a week at a time. Once your symtpoms aren't acute cut back to about 4 times a day.
Herbs work better without food so take these things above alternately.
UTIs are incredibly painful! Now I know within hours by the slightest symptoms if I have one. I haven't had one in yrs. Once I was told I had a UTI b/c my white bld cells were raised in my urine and I said, Nope!  "Oh you just can't tell yet" I was told.
Guess what? I didn't!
helene

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »

Somewhere on this board I posted a specific onion soup recipe for UTI's.  Drink 1 mug every hour for a couple of days.  They will be gone, never to return.  Do a search for "onion soup" and see what pops up.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2007, 02:34:05 AM »
THANKS!  I AM SENDING ALL THIS GOOD STUFF TO HER NOW.  I SURE HOPE IT HELPS!
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline calina

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2007, 02:59:46 AM »
Kristen,
I had the same problem several months before I became pregnant with my third daughter.  I agree it is probably yeast related.  After she delivers she might want to have some food alllergy testing done or elimination dieting.  Also, she might want to tell her OB/GYN that she has been on antibiotics while pregnant.  The baby may also have a yeast problem and need to be treated with probiotics or an antifungal. 
Calina

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »
I just skimmed this but I don't think anybody mentioned the herb called Marshmallow. It is AKA as Althea. It works well. I recommend it as a preventative. There are women who have taken this herb as a preventative and never gotten a bladder infection/ UTI again. It is also safe for children.

Is it just me, or does anyone else just get the urge to fire up the BBQ everytime this herb is mentioned.  LOL   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else just get the urge to fire up the BBQ everytime this herb is mentioned.  LOL   ;D

Yah, really!  Unfortunately, the herb does not taste even remotely close to a "real" marshmallow!

Offline bzymom

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »
My daughter got a UTI at 14mo.  We ended up in the hospital for 5 days after her temp got up to 108. (I know that doesn't seem believable, the nurse thought her thermometer was broken)  Now she is 4 1/2 and hasn't had one since.  She drank kefir for "milk" when she was done nursing, so I think that really helped restore her flora and ph, and also helped maintain her health.  When I hear of children getting UTIs I just get a little nervous remembering what we went through.
In adults it's a totally different story.  The skin of blueberries I thought I read is actually better at fighting a bladder infection than cranberries.  The way they work is they make it hard for the infection to attach to the walls of the bladder, allowing extra fluids and such to flush out the infection.  Corn silk, parsley and uva ursa are the "drugs" of choice as far as herbs go.  I just love love LOVE being able to get all these new ideas from people who've been there, done that.  What a great resource!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2007, 04:40:23 PM »
  Corn silk
I have heard that too. If your child is weak in that area and also wets the bed then corn silk is suppose to be really helpful.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2007, 06:49:06 PM »
My daughter got a UTI at 14mo.  We ended up in the hospital for 5 days after her temp got up to 108. (I know that doesn't seem believable, the nurse thought her thermometer was broken) 
I believe it.  Mine got one around that age also with a temp around 105. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2007, 07:22:15 PM »
Im not sure if this was already mentioned but sometimes drinking  cranberry juice is not the best because of its high carbohydrate count and as most know carbs  are turned into sugar once in our body. And sugar is well known for making infections worse. BUT cranberry PILLS are great for UTIs.

I get UTIs all the time ( like 1-3 a year) But I have not had as many in the past year because I have been taking some herbal suppliments for the bladder by Natures Sunshine

These are some of the things that help me not get UTIs or help me get over them faster:

-cranberry pills
-eating dendelions( fried, in salads  or in whatever way, they are good for the urinary system)
-Natures Sunshine
-not eating to much dairy of any kind or grains because it causes troubles in my body and from what I have read it causes troubles in many others bodies also like sinus troubles , clogged or juicy ears, digestive( mainly diarreah or soft poop and other troubles)   I have noticed if I injest to much dairy or grain foods I will get UTI like feelings without actualy having the UTI( peeing a tiny amount a lot, etc)
 and thats why I have gotten a lot of false results for the UTI pee test.

I did not know blueberries helped until reading this thread so I will try to keep them on hand as well.

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2007, 01:49:20 AM »
My daughter got a UTI at 14mo.  We ended up in the hospital for 5 days after her temp got up to 108. (I know that doesn't seem believable, the nurse thought her thermometer was broken) 
I believe it.  Mine got one around that age also with a temp around 105. 

Oh, mine had one even younger.  She was 9 mos. old when she got a bad fever (though not as high as yours!) and we took her in to find out she had a UTI.  The interesting thing is that after she had the antibiotics, she was a completely different child.  I am convinced she had had this for months, because she'd been a very difficult baby, crying all the time and looking generally unhappy.  No one enjoyed being around her, poor thing.  And I had no idea, because there were no other signs that I recognized.  I just chalked it up to having a fussy baby.  I used to pray and pray that she would end up being a more pleasant person than she was a baby!  Anyway, after the UTI was treated, she immediately became this happy, sunny little person.  She's 5 now, and a delight to the family!  I wish I had had a way of knowing earlier, or at least having some sort of clue that she really had something physically wrong.