Author Topic: The Barfing Hypoglycemic  (Read 2361 times)

Dairae

The Barfing Hypoglycemic
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:49:11 AM »
Does anyone have advice regarding what to give a little one with hypoglycemia who has a tummy bug and is throwing up most everything? Can you think of things that are easy to get and keep down and won't spike his blood sugar so he crashes after awhile? I can think of many sugary things to give him, but obviously can't go that route.

This will kill you all but someone told me when a kid has a tummy bug, warm jello drink really helps. I do this and it does help. So, artificial color and tons of sugar must help belly aches! :P

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: The Barfing Hypoglycemic
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 05:45:10 AM »
Well, it does work, at least that is what my mom gave me when I was a kid. 
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:47:10 AM »

This will kill you all but someone told me when a kid has a tummy bug, warm jello drink really helps. I do this and it does help. So, artificial color and tons of sugar must help belly aches! :P
How do you make a warm jello drink?? Sounds gross to me :P
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:48:23 AM »
You prepare the gelatin as normal and then don't refridgerate it, just serve it as a drink.

A more natural alternative would be to use plain gelatin and replace the water with fruit juice, but that isn't going to help with the hypoglycemic child!

I would just give her plain crackers I guess...

Dairae

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 02:14:20 AM »
bump for one more try

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:37:40 AM »
I would give them chicken broth at first.  When they were able to tolerate that, I'd add a few grated veggies to it.  It will be better for the blood sugar thing, and be good for him as well.  It works for me.

You could also try a whole wheat cracker.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:58:12 AM »
Does anyone have advice regarding what to give a little one with hypoglycemia who has a tummy bug and is throwing up most everything? Can you think of things that are easy to get and keep down and won't spike his blood sugar so he crashes after awhile? I can think of many sugary things to give him, but obviously can't go that route.

Hi Dairae,
Sorry, I have no experience with hypoglycemic kids--that's got to be tough. However, I would consider what KatieMac said about using plain gelatin (Knox gelatin) and fruit juice. The fruit juice would increase the blood sugar, and the gelatin is made of protein, which would keep the blood sugar a little more stable.

I guess if the jello drink works, I would use it, just to keep something down (liquids). Kids get dehydrated pretty quickly and things could go from bad to worse. Keep those fluids going.

Hope you find a better remedy!
Mama Sita
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141