Author Topic: Stage 5 Reflux and burned esoqhagus  (Read 2795 times)

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Stage 5 Reflux and burned esoqhagus
« on: March 21, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
A friend of mine has a 6-week old baby boy who had stage 5 reflux which burned his esophagus.  He is on zantac and something else..can't remember what she said.  He can swallow the zantac, but his esophagus is so burned he can't swallow the other medicine.  She said that if he is awake, he is screaming.  Feeding times are miserable for everyone.  She nurses exclusively.  Is there anything anyone can think of to help not only the reflux, but also the burned esophagus?  Also, be in prayer for my friend.  She is about at the end of her rope.  Any advice and prayers would be appreciated.  Thank you
Jess
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
Re: Stage 5 Reflux and burned esoqhagus
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
I really don't know much about burned esophagus but I belive that drinking cold water helps.  In this case maybe the mother can give teaspoons of cold water to the baby every30 min or so.  Also, for the reflux I know that Gripe water helps (it helped my baby quite a lot) and breast feeding more often, like every 2 hours.  I will pray for the little one.

Offline hoosiermama

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
She may want to change her diet.  Two of my dd had reflux and me going off dairy helped (I breastfed them)  Although this was before we got into the natural side of things :)  Aloe juice also soothes reflux, I don't know exactly how much you can give an infant but it does help.  One more tip, make sure baby sleeps on his tummy (I know this flies in the face of most pediatricians but my kids gastroenterologists told me to do it for reflux babies) or sleeping in a baby seat or swing.  Lying down flat is incredibly painful for these little ones.  Tell your friend that it does get better as the baby becomes more upright but she's in for a long haul but it does pass!  I hope your friend has people who can help her out.  My one dd screamed every night for 3months from 8pm until 1am!  Make sure she doesn't get too sleep deprived or depressed.  I will pray for her.   

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
I understand that getting good bacteria in the babies system should help tremdously. So getting the baby kefir or some kind of good good bacteria is necessary. Like Tummy Tune Up from beeyoutiful.com or I have kefir grains I can send her for her to make kefir. The pills of Tummy Tune Up can be opened and sprinkled on the breast before nursing...is she nursing? PM me if you need some kefir grains...have her look up the connection between good bacteria and reflux...it is worth investigating.
Tennille

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
She is nursing...there isn't much that will keep her from it.  She nursed her first exclusively and is a firm believer.  She has that going for her but she is just so tired.  I'll do some research for her on the probiotics and then talk to her.  If she wants to try the kefir, I'll let you know, Tynnille.  The baby is only 6 weeks old...would kefir work for him, do you think? 
Anyways, thank you for the tips and advice.  I'm kind of worried about her state of mind right now.  I think all of this is worsening her already bad post-partum depression. 
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »
She can take the kefir and the probiotics should go through her milk, though I am not an expert here. But sprinkling the Tummy Tune up onto the breast would definately get it in there. Slippery Elm coats things so maybe that would be a good herb to take, pumping and then add some into that and putting in a bottle?!? My kids would never take a bottle, so who knows if that would work...but check out slippery elm too, since it does a great job coating inards. Naturally fermented sauerkraut would be good to for your friend to get good bacteria in her system. Did she have to have antibiotics during labor? What about Fish oil, is she taking any right now. I wuold think that would be good for her depression (plus her B vitamins) and for the baby to get through the milk.
Things to look into:
Fish/Cod Liver Oil (for depression
Slippery Elm
Probiotics (tummy tune up and/or kefir)
I really hope this helps...I am sure she is exhausted, new babies are exhasting even without having such issues. I will pray she gets some rest.
Tennille

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
I would buy a probiotic that is made specially for babies.  It's called Baby Flora.  I gave that to my baby girl from about 1 month old untill she was 4 or 5 months.  It really helped with her stomach problems.  She was really gassy and spit up A LOT.  It really did work!  Maybe it will help your little one.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »
I've been reading 'Sugar Blues' and have come to believe my DD's reflux as a baby and my Adrenal/ depression was from processed food (on my part) My body was not getting what it needed to break down/absorb the food to give to her and way too much sugar on my part I also found out that when I cut out Wheat,Egg,&Dairy she did much better.
You might suggest that she play around with her diet to see if there is anything that helps to be cut out.

Modified to add quote I just read in "Sugar Blues." ;)
"Mother's milk is as infinitely Variable as life itself; it depends muchly- like the future of the human race- on the judgement each mother displays in her selection of food."
I just thought that good and wanted to share, it seemed to fit what I tried to say above. :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:13:29 PM by WellTellMommy »
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »
I don't have anything to add on the reflux discussion, as these are all great suggestions, but fwiw, Evening primrose oil worked WONDERS for me postpartum. Like, I could totally tell I hadn't taken it (and it would make me really mad that I would even NEED to take it, thank you very much!), and then I'd finally take one and within 30 minutes be a different woman. So just a thought for your friend that might help stabilize her hormones during all of this stress and difficulty...